• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifleman’s Team Challenge Is NC not in a region???

It seems it’s only popular up here in the Northwest. It’s really all on the local MDs if they want to do it or not. I just ran a RTC match this weekend here in Montana. I ran it the way I wanted to and just followed the rules set forth by the RTC. Which really the big one is staying within the limits of limited division if that’s what they are shooting.

Reactions: PJK
It would be nice to see more options on the east coast/NC. To my knowledge best option for any style of a "field match" would be the Mammoth one. Looks like we are limited to the absolute zero matches and guardian matches at frontline unless you're not deployed or able to take leave and catch a flight out west.

Unfortunately it seems people would rather wheel carts/wagons around full of pillows and gear..I just shot up at the September 8 Absolute Zero match and it was disappointing to see that so many competitors had already shot the exact same stages before. I’d love to shoot a more practical match like LROC or a RTC.

Reactions: flatlander
I agree, I haven't shot the absolute zero ones yet but will be next year as well as the Guardian one they host. I am not a fan of all the gypsy wagons of impractical/gaming gear either. I just enjoy shooting a course I haven't just to shoot and get better. I don't have the illusion of being too competitive at the PRS type shoots but a RTC or field match would be a nice humbler for some.

What, a cart like a bag lady? Were the guys with so much gear they needed a cart actually competitive? Usually the ones with THAT much gear are compensating for lack of skills and are no threat. I always bring a mat, and a tripod, but usually they’re left in the truck. Everything else fits in a daypack and I feel like I have too much. I thought that “carrying all your gear” was a rule or at least a maxim. A match isn’t a range trip.

Yea, I can't really get on board with a cart. I mean, seems nice but I like the idea that I can ruck all the gear I need to be effective.

I tend to dismiss people griping about how much gear there is. I like gear and bags and shooting stuff. It’s fun. But if you can’t carry all your shit by yourself I am now paying attention, because that’s a problem in the sport that should be dealt with and corrected. If you want to drag a Numero Uno bag with you be my guest. It does make a nice seat. But if you need a cart to me that clearly breaks the spirit of the sport.

I’m pretty sure most match books say, “you must carry your gear”, which to me does not mean pulling a cart, bringing a vehicle with you on the stages, or employing sherpas or gun-bearers. That might be something a marksman with a disability would be granted, but the rest of us should have to hump our shit. In fact, I’ve run into older guys and guys in bad shape physically who are concerned about this aspect.

Makes me think of the Norwegian match where you have to hike all your shit up the mountain in snowshoes!

I've shot 2 of the Absolute Zero matches now at Frontline Defense, and while some of the stages remain the same the targetry does not. Personally I am going to carry all of my gear between stages and attempt to use what I have to serve as many purposes as possible. When I see the big carts it doesn't affect me much other than thinking "I couldn't see myself doing that". For what I look at is as, which is an opportunity for me to get out and do some shooting and training from different alternate positions, I think the matches are great but only as tactical/practical as you make them for yourself.

Unfortunately it seems people would rather wheel carts/wagons around full of pillows and gear..I just shot up at the September 8 Absolute Zero match and it was disappointing to see that so many competitors had already shot the exact same stages before. I’d love to shoot a more practical match like LROC or a RTC.
My stages are never the same. EVER. Sure it might be the same prop, but any match you go to has a barricade and shooting prone or off a barrel. My target layout and size and where they are placed is never duplicated. Thanks.........

I looked at all the posts about Regions 1 thru 4. Can't see any mention of North Carolina! Any chance the Tar Heel state will be included at some point?
I have run some team matches. I just don't advertise it. I have 1,400+ range members who fill the roster very quickly. I'm open to do something on a bigger scale.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I've shot 2 of the Absolute Zero matches now at Frontline Defense, and while some of the stages remain the same the targetry does not. Personally I am going to carry all of my gear between stages and attempt to use what I have to serve as many purposes as possible. When I see the big carts it doesn't affect me much other than thinking "I couldn't see myself doing that". For what I look at is as, which is an opportunity for me to get out and do some shooting and training from different alternate positions, I think the matches are great but only as tactical/practical as you make them for yourself.
Not all of us carry so much crap we need a cart. Not all of us sit in folding chairs because we're lazy. Some of us sit in chairs so we can feel our feet at the end of the day and we use a cart so we can simply play the game, and the issues we deal with are not always obvious.

Newer to the area, in NW NC, any matches local? Shot some many years ago at then BW but would like a more PRS/Tac style match.
\
Thanks,

BGE

Most of the matches in NC are going to be north central NC and central. Pigg river precision in rocky mount, VA might not be too far away.

Most of the matches in NC are going to be north central NC and central. Pigg river precision in rocky mount, VA might not be too far away.

Pigg River is an awesome place to shoot. VPRC is another option for PRS regional series matches. They shoot at VIR in Danville, right on the NC/VA state line.

@BGE541 I'm not sure exactly where you are, but for reference VIR is about 165 miles from Greenville, NC and only about an hour from Durham. The VPRC guys are hosting the SE Regional series finale this year, and they always plan a really fun match.

Last edited:
Pigg River is an awesome place to shoot. VPRC is another option for PRS regional series matches. They shoot at VIR in Danville, right on the NC/VA state line.

@BGE541 I'm not sure exactly where you are, but for reference VIR is about 165 miles from Greenville, NC and only about an hour from Durham. The VPRC guys are hosting the SE Regional series finale this year, and they always plan a really fun match.

Funny u referenced Greenville. I live in Greenville. Do u?

Funny u referenced Greenville. I live in Greenville. Do u?

No, it just seemed like an easy point of reference in NW NC. (not my best moment....) I'm up in Southwest VA.

Last edited:
Greenville is dead eastern NC. 1hr 20 from the beach. we are nowhere near the NW region of NC

I should know better as I have friends on the coast, around New Bern. I guess maybe I need to catch up on some sleep!

• Haha
Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Newer to the area, in NW NC, any matches local? Shot some many years ago at then BW but would like a more PRS/Tac style match.
\
Thanks,

BGE
I’m the only long Range PRS regional Match in the state of NC. I’m also the Southeast Regional MD for the PRS. There might be other field matches but they aren’t PRS sanctioned events. Pigg River and VPRC are both great venues in VA

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Not all of us carry so much crap we need a cart. Not all of us sit in folding chairs because we're lazy. Some of us sit in chairs so we can feel our feet at the end of the day and we use a cart so we can simply play the game, and the issues we deal with are not always obvious.
Yeah I’m 50 so I use a gun cart to carry my rifle and crap. As a former Army Ranger I’ve humped more equipment across the world. Not saying you’re talking trash. But I hate when folks who are old enough that I could be their dad talk shit about about my tricked out baby stroller. I could still out hump 1/2 of them or more if I had to. Intestinal fortitude.

I'm not that old and am in better shape than most that attend matches, and I've considered a "tactical wagon" for my gear. Not that I bring a lot of stuff, but a wagon would be a convenient place to throw the Fortune cookie, and the pump pillow, and the backpack, and the rifle when not shooting. A lot of these matches are closer to golf (with a lot less walking) than they are to hunting or combat. It IS a game. Fold up the spotter legs and roll the 50 ft to the next stage.

Now, one of those hike through the mountains for several miles to find your stage kind of matches is a different animal- and a pulled cart would be a pain in the ass.

FIFY!!!

PS.. Greenville is a lovely little town... but it is hotter than Satan's toenails on Georgia Asphalt... GEEZUS!... In May it was 115 on the ECU Softball Field during State Championships....
Lol, try going to the opening season ECU football game when it's at 3pm. You'll be sweating like two fags eating a hot dog. Miserable to say the least.

Last edited: