• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is S&B really outdated trash?!?!

OblongFrankAmericanlobster-small.gif

Reactions: Thud
I do. I have one on a blue and wood, 30-60 Finbear from the 1980s, and a Burris Signature Series on a SS, A-Bolt from the 1980s, but I also have Kales, ZCOs, and TTs on new hotness rifles in wildcat calibers...

My point is that I was killing shit in the 1980s, before you were born, and shooting in matches when you were hiding behind your moma's skirt and sucking on your thumb. You may own some tier one scopes, but you have no perspective to actually engage intelligently in a conversation about what is good and what is bad with people who have been shooting at a top level for longer than you've been alive. You also seem to have zero respect for who got us to where we are. Men who've done more with a 10X Unertl scope than you ever will period. Hubris brings Nemisis. You ought to have a little humility, especially when bagging on shit you know nothing about. How many S&B scopes do you have to consider them trash? My President was Ronald Reagan (and Trump), and my economic policies are that the Federal Government needs to be decimated. Your generation is woke. Mine isn't.
025F7844-7C5A-4160-807F-C2CB8C19B3A7.jpeg

It’s just another scope thread, it’s fun and games until someone takes this shit seriously.
Then we usually get scolded and sent to time out.
Then boom!! Another trigger thread.
Arken usually keeps the heat up, just mention it in any dead thread and it’ll fire it back up.
Arken just keeps winning, great cheap scopes and troll bait for thread and site traffic.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I’ll leave the Arken out of this very informative S&B trash thread.
Sorry.
I’d be upset if you did. You can’t have an “Is S&B really trash” thread without an honorable Arken mention.

• Haha
Reactions: Gohring65
I served in the first Gulf War as an E-4. I'm not even close to being a Boomer. I'm closer to the end of Gen X.
Don’t let it bother you, I was born in ‘78 and I get called a boomer almost daily.
Don’t ever take my reply’s personally, I’m just a sarcastic son of a bitch. My humor is sometimes dry. I troll scope brands across the board, I’m not partial to any of them, it’s a tool.
This is pic should help.
85E07805-19CF-427B-B5B6-F7C883F848C4.jpeg

Just got off the Armament Technology Tangent Theta website to check if they were still offering only 1 reticle.
Yep, just the 1 reticle option. So you throw +5K at these people & 1 ret choice.
I find that offensive.
I'd go with a Schmidt any day. They seem to respect their customers a lot more.

I thought TT offered more than 1 reticle. They have an MOA version, MRAD version, and a few other reticle options. Looks like they're just out of stock on the others, or have I missed something like them choosing to discontinue the others? There's a Gen2, Gen3, Horus, MOA, etc.

That said, I actually like the mil-dot stuff and the Gen2 XR. I can't speak for other people, but "dated" isn't to do with reticle options, but other scope features. For my money, I chose to pass over S&B when I did A/B testing against other options.

Don’t let it bother you, I was born in ‘78 and I get called a boomer almost daily.
Don’t ever take my reply’s personally, I’m just a sarcastic son of a bitch. My humor is sometimes dry. I troll scope brands across the board, I’m not partial to any of them, it’s a tool.
This is pic should help.View attachment 7775425

I work in a firehouse. If you aren't talking trash it's automatically assumed you either can't be trusted or there's something wrong with you.

I have no brand loyalty to scopes, or anything of that matter. S&Bs are still great optics but I do think some of the features are dated. Definitely not trash. I've owned everything from a PST G1 to a Tangent. They all have pros and cons.

What's dated on the S&Bs again? Not to start a argument or anything, just genuinely curious since everyone brings it up.

Reticles and the illumination tumor location are the two big ones that bother me personally. I also have issues with the diopter setting but that's more of a prescription issue. I also prefer other locking mechanisms for the turret.

What's dated on the S&Bs again? Not to start a argument or anything, just genuinely curious since everyone brings it up.

The 5-25 tunnels that's basically it. The ultra shorts and high powers do not. SB has like 8 gazillion scope and turret offerings so some of the older style turrets don't have some of the newer cool kids features but SB came out with the new dtii+ turrets which imo are the best turrets currently available on any scope but I digress....

20211222_135959.jpg

20211015_140039.jpg

20211021_083340.jpg

20211014_162007.jpg

That's what I was getting at. S&B has so many options, more options then most scope manufacturers and I don't see what people are bitching about.

Is SB worth new SB money??? Not imo unless you need a scope under 12". The ultra short offerings are SB edge right now in the current market. If you wanted a scope with 25-30 top end mag I wouldn't even consider SB at 4k. That's zco's cake right now and yes TT used at zco new money 🤣.

Used prices.... I will take SB all day and not even blink....

Reticles and the illumination tumor location are the two big ones that bother me personally. I also have issues with the diopter setting but that's more of a prescription issue. I also prefer other locking mechanisms for the turret.
What don't you like about the locking turrets? Honestly they're my favorite style.

Jesus, it seems as this board has been filled with an excessive amount of mallninjas and internet-badass‘es lately, you people ran out of glue or crayons?
just the glitter glue

I’m not quite sure about all the Arken hype. I owned the sh4 and thought for the cost it’s an unbelievable scope, but it’s not even remotely close to the level of the top dogs. While the turrets were tactile, I felt them to be cheap. Also the magnification ring is nearly unusable without a throw lever.

I’m pretty sure when people say the arken is just as good as *insert high end scope*, they’re just trying to justify not being able to afford said scope

I’m not quite sure about all the Arken hype. I owned the sh4 and thought for the cost it’s an unbelievable scope, but it’s not even remotely close to the level of the top dogs. While the turrets were tactile, I felt them to be cheap. Also the magnification ring is nearly unusable without a throw lever.

I’m pretty sure when people say the arken is just as good as *insert high end scope*, they’re just trying to justify not being able to afford said scope

Clearly not as good as a $4500 S&B but that’s not the point. I have yet to see a $4500 scope subjected to this kind of torture do any better.

Reactions: FuhQ and Gohring65
Clearly not as good as a $4500 S&B but that’s not the point. I have yet to see a $4500 scope subjected to this kind of torture do any better.
Exactly, how much are those nice turrets and glass worth. Cause the cheap scope is durable.

Reactions: FuhQ
You sound like you might have a bunch of mark 4s on all your slow twist 1980s rifles.
I might have a couple of those Mark 4's. That was from back in the day when Premier was the king and hot rodded Leupolds. Used to shoot my friends 7-08 for benchrest back then. Still not a "boomer";)

Reactions: Gohring65
I still would like to see some of these top tier scopes lay at the bottom of a 10ft pool for 24 hours and not take water.
Pressure is way different down there than in the sink.
Are you trying to make sure they survive your boating accidents? If not, what realistic scenario in a PRS match would that replicate?

I still would like to see some of these top tier scopes lay at the bottom of a 10ft pool for 24 hours and not take water.
Pressure is way different down there than in the sink.
90CC46C7-50E5-455D-BFA2-B9523FBDB4EE.jpeg

I feel like buying one of these shill scopes, and put it and one of my NF and ZCOs in the bottom of a 12’ pool just to stfu some of theee ridiculous “muh chyna scope is just as good as your $3000 scope “ claims

People who don't use their sink to test water resistance but the Mil-Std their contracts stipulate:

S&B and probably others LOL

Reactions: Krob95
Are you trying to make sure they survive your boating accidents? If not, what realistic scenario in a PRS match would that replicate?
Nothing at all, but that was part of the Arken test and everyone is screaming it leaked, it leaked!
Well fuck then, dunk those top tier boys and see if they can handle it.
You guys need to quit using PRS as the only way to judge scopes. It’s not the only game in town.

View attachment 7775615

I feel like buying one of these shill scopes, and put it and one of my NF and ZCOs in the bottom of a 12’ pool just to stfu some of theee ridiculous “muh chyna scope is just as good as your $3000 scope “ claims
You definitely need to do that
Let us know..
You seem like you’re getting upset over these tools. It’s not a big deal. Dunk that fucker.

• Haha
How is the Arken even being compared to the S&B? I own several S&Bs and a Arken on my 22LR. There is no comparison, the Arken glass looks horrible to anything you can compare it to let alone a S&B. The CA is so bad on the Arken, it's annoying to look through for a extended period of time. Never had that with any scope I have ever had.

We can assume not every scope in everyone's lines are built to the same water resistance standards. I'm sure there is less expectation of a Mark AR or SHV needing to go scuba diving than an ATACR or Mark 5. I am sure that any of these companies that have ever had a mil contract understand the requirements for it though and are capable of making a swimming pool-safe scope.

We can assume not every scope in everyone's lines are built to the same water resistance standards. I'm sure there is less expectation of a Mark AR or SHV needing to go scuba diving than an ATACR or Mark 5. I am sure that any of these companies that have ever had a mil contract understand the requirements for it though and are capable of making a swimming pool-safe scope.
The only way to find out is to dunk them.
Speculation is not experimenting.

Reactions: jpelaston and FuhQ
How is the Arken even being compared to the S&B? I own several S&Bs and a Arken on my 22LR. There is no comparison, the Arken glass looks horrible to anything you can compare it to let alone a S&B. The CA is so bad on the Arken, it's annoying to look through for a extended period of time. Never had that with any scope I have ever had.
We know dude, but this thread isn’t about logic. Complete and utter bullshit is the topic.

So, NF tests their optics to 100 feet.
S&B is rated to 25m
Steiner M8xi rated to 20m

You are more than welcome to go and validate these if you like. I'm not doing any diving with my optics.
I don’t blame you.
But you’ll never prove it to me with literature, I like real world test. If you’re going to knock Arken for the 10ft pool test, then put the money where your mouth is and prove that the others will take it. I’m not saying they won’t, but prove it if you got something to say about a scope company that actually took the test.

• Haha
Reactions: Drew890 and Rob01
So, NF tests their optics to 100 feet.
S&B is rated to 25m
Steiner M8xi rated to 20m

You are more than welcome to go and validate these if you like. I'm not doing any diving with my optics.
100ft is deeper than 25m. But yeah, who is going down that far with a scoped rifle :ROFLMAO:

How’s this for a prs scenario:

You’re shooting from the roof of a moving station wagon. It hits a pot hole and your rifle falls on the pavement right in the turrets.

So everything has to conform to PRS scenarios?

I don't look at it as PRS scenarios but real life scenarios. Been shooting rifles for 30 years and my rifles have never been 10 feet under water. Was in the Marine Corps in a MEU-SOC who's job was small boat insertions and even then my rifle was never 10 feet under water. So if someone needs to be proven to them that a scope will survive 10 feet under water then do it yourself and sink your scopes. Personally I have no need to do it and has nothing to do with PRS but the fact my rifle will never be 10 feet underwater.