• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is S&B really outdated trash?!?!

I look at it this way: the deeper the scope can be submerged the less likely it is to fog up on you.

I appreciate the destruction testing because it kinda forces the manufacturer to improve the product. In Arken’s case it prolly caused them to improve the sealing. And that’s good for the entry level buyers.

let’s get away from water, who’s going to beat the turrets off their ATACR?

What fuckin thread am I in?
I think I mentioned every scope but the pm2.

Don’t let it bother you, I was born in ‘78 and I get called a boomer almost daily.
Don’t ever take my reply’s personally, I’m just a sarcastic son of a bitch. My humor is sometimes dry. I troll scope brands across the board, I’m not partial to any of them, it’s a tool.
This is pic should help.View attachment 7775425
Christ, you fuckers are young…. 😂

I already am.
I have 3 S&B's
And I didn't have to drown them.
Just dunk one of them, or is it the warranty that has you guys scared?
Oh….. shit…. Is it the warranty?
Now I’m wondering if everyone wants to claim they will pass but know damn well they might not, and they won’t cover it, or maybe take several months.???
I’m going to look into the warranty.
Hmmmm. 🧐

Yep! Warranty sucks.
Come clean guys, you’re afraid they won’t fix the old, outdated hazy yellow tumorous fucker.

• Haha
Reactions: Bakwa and FuhQ
So, NF tests their optics to 100 feet.
S&B is rated to 25m
Steiner M8xi rated to 20m

You are more than welcome to go and validate these if you like. I'm not doing any diving with my optics.
But what if you need to infiltrate the spa?
I’ll take my s&b for a bath tomorrow, pussies.
Didn’t someone here already drag theirs down a gravel road tied behind a Jeep and it held up?

• Haha
Reactions: stefan73
Don’t forget, the Arken took a 24 hour bath in ten feet of water!!😃
You know, so the navy seals will commission it.
It also shifted zero to the right twice. That being said it preformed good for the price. At that price point I think the only thing that could beat it is SWFA SS

The 5-25 tunnels that's basically it. The ultra shorts and high powers do not. SB has like 8 gazillion scope and turret offerings so some of the older style turrets don't have some of the newer cool kids features but SB came out with the new dtii+ turrets which imo are the best turrets currently available on any scope but I digress....

View attachment 7775481
View attachment 7775482
View attachment 7775483
View attachment 7775485
All of that wasted money. Could have just went with a BSA optic. If you break it, Walmart is really good with returns and they are everywhere in the US. Hell, you don’t even need a receipt and they’ll give you 100% on a gift card. If you play your cards right and buy during a sale, you could probably snag a new scope, burger from McDonald’s, and a few hand warmers all with just the gift card. For that reason, BSA will always be the smarter move over the clear mistake you made in these pictures.

For real though…how has this gone from “are SBs outdated” to “my scope can swim underwater and yours needs floaties”???? Fuckers arguing more about this than how inflation caused the VFW to raise the costs on nickel hotdog and beer night.
😁

It also shifted zero to the right twice. That being said it preformed good for the price. At that price point I think the only thing that could beat it is SWFA SS
Yeah it did. I wonder if the other company’s scopes would shift if the turret was crooked. It shifted to the right, but he wasn’t sure if the bump slipped the turret on the shaft if I remember correctly.
Only one way to find out, but watch those warranties!

Just dunk one of them, or is it the warranty that has you guys scared?
Oh….. shit…. Is it the warranty?
Now I’m wondering if everyone wants to claim they will pass but know damn well they might not, and they won’t cover it, or maybe take several months.???
I’m going to look into the warranty.
Hmmmm. 🧐
Yep! Warranty sucks.
Come clean guys, you’re afraid they won’t fix the old, outdated hazy yellow tumorous fucker.
Warranty has already been covered if you have read the entire thread. This is the response from Jerry at S&B after I purchased mine.

Per Jerry:

"Thirty years on hunting models with the first ten years having 100% coverage against manufacturer defects. The subsequent twenty years will still be covered against manufacturer defects and any parts found defective will be covered by Schmidt Bender and the customer will be responsible for labor costs. Misuse and abuse is not covered under warranty.

PM II models have two years for military and law enforcement and twenty years for civilians. The same 100% coverage as the hunting models is offered for the first ten years on PMII’s and labor costs for the subsequent ten."

So first 10, 100% covered, next 10-20 you pay labor only.

"Thirty years on hunting models with the first ten years having 100% coverage against manufacturer defects. The subsequent twenty years will still be covered against manufacturer defects and any parts found defective will be covered by Schmidt Bender and the customer will be responsible for labor costs. Misuse and abuse is not covered under warranty.

PM II models have two years for military and law enforcement and twenty years for civilians. The same 100% coverage as the hunting models is offered for the first ten years on PMII’s and labor costs for the subsequent ten."

So first 10, 100% covered, next 10-20 you pay labor only.
Man… this thread is so far gone, I have to double check which thread I’m in before I post my disinformation. I think the goal now is to trigger people who actually take this shit serious. It’s just a fuckin tool.
If you’re using it for duty, get the yellow hazy tumorous S&B, if you shoot two Saturdays a month at the range, just grab a cheapo and send it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ and lash
When S&B decided that Euro was the only game in town it kind of killed it for me. Not a knock on Euro by any means, I’ve bought many things form them including an AT and they’re stand up dudes. My go to was Doug over at Camera Land, & I don’t like being painted into a corner on who I have to purchase from. Used in the classifieds is the way to go now IMO.
This is the same corner all the other dealers in the US were painted into. Buy from Euro or you don't carry the brand. Not a knock either, hell Alex mentored me with lots of sage advice many years ago, but I just can't enrich my competition. It's the principle of the matter. Whomever came up with that idea of making one dealer the sole distributor for the product too must have been desperate. Franky I don't think S&B was doing well at the time but that's just my opinion. Sadly, I have no clue what S&B is even offering these days. So far it has worked out for us.

I personally wasn’t blown away by S&B glass except on their 12-50…

I think there are many optics that have caught up and passed S&B in the glass department that costs significantly less…

However S&Bs turrets and parallax adjustment remain one of my favorites.

Over the last few years I’ve really just learned how to use the reticle vs dialing…thus the turrets don't matter to me as much anymore...but parallax and diopter adjustments do...

If I were to spend S&B type money…I’d just fork up to a ZCO…

Last edited:
Don’t forget, the Arken took a 24 hour bath in ten feet of water!!😃
You know, so the navy seals will commission it.
Was that ten feet by
All of that wasted money. Could have just went with a BSA optic. If you break it, Walmart is really good with returns and they are everywhere in the US. Hell, you don’t even need a receipt and they’ll give you 100% on a gift card. If you play your cards right and buy during a sale, you could probably snag a new scope, burger from McDonald’s, and a few hand warmers all with just the gift card. For that reason, BSA will always be the smarter move over the clear mistake you made in these pictures.

For real though…how has this gone from “are SBs outdated” to “my scope can swim underwater and yours needs floaties”???? Fuckers arguing more about this than how inflation caused the VFW to raise the costs on nickel hotdog and beer night.
😁

VFW raised the cost for nickel hotdog and beer night?? What kind of commie BS is that??

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Perhaps my eye pallet isn’t refined enough, but I never have noticed the yellow/brown tint from my S&B 5-25 optics.

Here’s my experience though-
I spent most of a calm day shooting 1000-1760 yds with my brother and his rifles, which had NF 5.5-22’s on top. Mirage was quite minimal, and made shooting at this distance very enjoyable.

When I got behind his rifle after being on mine with S&B, it was a night and day difference. At that distance, all crispness and clarity was lost through the Nightforce glass. I tried both of his rifles, and adjusted the optics to my eye, but they weren’t even close to the clarity of the S&B optic.

That was really the first time I noticed the appreciable difference S&B has over the competition.

I know the market has finally met the demand for quality “mid range” optics, but to me I suppose Schmidt Bender will always be my choice. That being said, I know there’s better options out there….I’ve just never fielded them. 🤙🏽

Last edited:
Perhaps my eye pallet isn’t refined enough, but I never have noticed the yellow/brown tint from my S&B 5-25 optics.

Here’s my experience though-
I spent most of a calm day shooting 1000-1760 yds with my brother and his rifles, which had NF 5.5-22’s on top. Mirage was quite minimal, and made shooting at this distance very enjoyable.

When I got behind his rifle after being on mine with S&B, it was a night and day difference. At that distance, all crispness and clarity was lost through the Nightforce glass. I tried both of his rifles, and adjusted the optics to my eye, but they weren’t even close to the clarity of the S&B optic.

That was really the first time I noticed the appreciable difference S&B has over the competition.

I know the market has finally met the demand for quality “mid range” quality optics, but to me I suppose Schmidt Bender will always be my choice. That being said, I know there’s better options out there….I’ve just never fielded them. 🤙🏽

But did you scuba dive with them?

I've never seen this yellow or brown in my PMII that is being referenced here.
It’s not there, it’s just how it’s been described throughout this thread, so it’s easier to reference with what everyone will get triggers over.
Supposedly it has a big ole tumor too.

I actually like the tumor as well. Doesn’t really impact mounting for me, I think the control is very functional.

Having owned 3 SWFA SS scopes over the last 10+ years (still have all 3, but only 2 still currently on rifles... And I now have my 4th Arken (3 SH4 Gen2's and 1 EP5) on order right now... The Arken beats the SWFA SS (non-HD models)...Hands-down. The SWFA turrets feel kind of "iffy" and "mushy" compared to the Arken turrets.

And the fact the Arken has a phenomenal and simple zero-stop, and SWFA still has yet to incorporate a ZS into their scopes for that price... I'd have to give it to the Arkens. The glass is even brighter and the FOV is better. I will give the SWFA 1 thing for sure... The eye box on the SWFA SS is not as tight, which is nice.

Reactions: Gohring65
I would bet 100$ you couldn’t beat on the swfa turrets like they did the Arken. The swfa has the skinny brass dowel for the turret interface.
I can’t count how many swfa scopes I’ve had. Definitely over 10.

If everyone on the Hide threw in a nickel we could run some serious tests 🤣🍻

I've really only noticed it when looking on a bright day down range at foliage...
Yeah still no. Shot on lots of bright days at foliage.
9284E26B-4959-4FD7-B230-3351261FBE0C.jpeg

Yeah still no. Shot on lots of bright days at foliage. View attachment 7776513
Just a heads-up... But those 2 on the side of the gun... Yeah, you'll probably get a FTF with both of those... 😉 👍🏼

I've only disintegrated a primer ONCE... It was doing load development on my custom .25-06 AI 40º rifle. My RCBS CM1500 accidentally went wonky and overcharged 1 case. Never even found pieces of the primer. I assumed the negative vacuum created in the bore after the bullet has excited, must have sucked it all out the front-end. No shards or metal in the bolt housing either. Pulled it down, magna-fluxed everything, no cracks, fissures, stress lines, or anything. Put it all back together and still shoot it to this day. That was almost 10 years ago.