• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market?

Re: Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a stock savage at all. </div></div>

what are the specs for the savage you will be using?

Another savage vs this asshole gun thread... When will it ever end?

Rich

The Savage 10 in HS precision with detachable AICS mags and factory threads is a great gun.

My experience is that they are impossible to find at multiple dealers most of the time. So Savage has delivered a value, but how can you kill a market if you can't manufacture enough product for distributors to have any to sell to dealers?

Hell I wish I could shoot 5, 5 shot groups well enough to tell the difference between a .5 and a .25 rifle. I own a couple AI's, Remingtons and owned a Savage. Funny thing is they all shoot the same on average, about as well as I do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Runamuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell I wish I could shoot 5, 5 shot groups well enough to tell the difference between a .5 and a .25 rifle. I own a couple AI's, Remingtons and owned a Savage. Funny thing is they all shoot the same on average, about as well as I do. </div></div>

Put them in a cheaters vise and you'll see the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogey Bait</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a stock savage at all. </div></div>

what are the specs for the savage you will be using? </div></div>

Blueprinted Savage LA
Criterion in 260 AI
PDC custom stock
Rifle basix Sav-2
EGW base
Sightron SIII 6-24x

5 shot group from my Savage 10FP sitting in a Bell & Carlson Medalist. EGW 20moa rail and 16X SS. This was during a load workup for 2000MR. Shitty accutrigger and all. No action work and this was when the factory barrel was on it. It is now wearing a 284Win barrel. 175SMK moving at 2780fps.
IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

Im not into taking pics and raving about shit usually. The only reason I snapped these was to send to my partner who wasnt with me this day and was curious about the 2000MR.

Brett, thanks for actually posting something...
But truthfully I hardly think one five shot group constitutes as proof of your claim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is pretty simple. My factory savage will shoot 1/2 moa. Period. I know a load of others that do the same.</div></div>
...and now since your gun is no longer "factory" I guess we'll never know, eh?

Ok, so where are all the other braggers??? I'd love to see some of those 5x5's!

I can also test my stock .204, it has only been bedded and is otherwise stock. I am nearly out of Varget and won't have the opportunity to get more before I shoot, but should get close to have a 5x5 worth of powder. It might end up being a 4x5. I am curious how this one will shoot now that it is bedded, shot well but always had a flier before. If I get more varget and bullets I will also test my 308, but that has stock, trigger, bedding, but factory barrel.

just shoot my 204 this morning 4-5shot groups @100 avg. was .70 its 100 percent stock.So yea,I guess the savage nay sayers are right. Or it could have been that it was only 18 degrees this morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moto438</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just shoot my 204 this morning 4-5shot groups @100 avg. was .70 its 100 percent stock.So yea,I guess the savage nay sayers are right. Or it could have been that it was only 18 degrees this morning. </div></div>

Or you suck, just saying...
grin.gif

Thanks for the welcome! You could be right, or it could be that outside forces(wind weather who is pulling trigger) have more to do with were the shoot lands than if the shot came from a savage or not? how much does wind effect a shot?

Show me 3 consecutively fired sub-moa targets at 800 yards and I'll say you've got a winner no matter where it came from.

I'm likely guilty of using 100 yard groups as a performance litmus on occasion but it's not until you get <span style="font-style: italic">past</span> 600-ish yards that minor manufacturing imperfections kill accuracy.

I'll let ya'll in on a little secret...Savage has been secretly building out of the box tack drivers for a very long time...I got my first Savage 110FP in 300WM in 1993...with factory ammo (I forget the load) it shot .5 all day long at 100 and between .5 and .75 at 200...when I started hand loading it, it went to just one ragged hole 90% of the time...consistently=consistency in my book and this was with the cheap plastic stock it came with...I sold it to a friend and called him a little while back...he still has it, says he will NOT PART WITH IT...still shoots the same...nearly 18+ years later. We made a deal...when he dies...I get it back...I hope he lives a long time...

Just built one for myself out of parts I got here...range time tomorrow..

Capt Beach

My uncle says that he had a Chevy once and learn one thing from it, not to buy another. Same goes for me and savage. That was a bad experience. I was very happy when someone bought it from me and I had no idea who they were or were they were from. I hear savage has improved since then. I havn't wanted to find out.

Funny, you don't see any of these "half-MOA or quarter-MOA" Savage shooters show up. If their guns were truly that capable, looks like they could place here consistently:

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/group/2011/Holton/Nationals/UNLIMITED.pdf

The bottom rungs were guys shooting over half MOA.

Here's a list of the top fives and their equipment:

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/group/2011/Holton/Nationals/HoltonGroupNationals.php

Sniper's Hide needs to start going and owning these matches with their Savages off bipods and Super Sniper scopes because they shoot .25 to .5 MOA all day long.

Maybe the problem is "when I do my part" or maybe that's code for "when I don't screw up and my rifle is performing at its best" but it doesn't seem to do it ever on a single 5x5 target no matter how many times these retarded threads come up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, you don't see any of these "half-MOA or quarter-MOA" Savage shooters show up. If their guns were truly that capable</div></div>

sorry i'm late.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who gives a shit if you can stack 5 .308 rounds within 1/2" at a hundred yards anyway? </div></div>

here's me not givin a shit (first 7 shots out of the box with standard trigger, is actually a $325.00 stevens 200) using remington corelokt cheapie ammo, bipod and rear bag:
308_TARGET.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who gives a shit if you can stack 5 .308 rounds within 1/2" at a hundred yards anyway? </div></div>

here's me not givin a shit (first 7 shots out of the box with standard trigger, is actually a $325.00 stevens 200) using remington corelokt cheapie ammo:
308_TARGET.jpg
</div></div>

We know you just shoot and then have someone run out and poke a hole in the target.
grin.gif

Whoa! Where has this thread gone? I leave you guys alone for a few days, and everything takes a turn down negative lane?, lol.

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed hard for this post, but I feel like I should help put this thread to rest.

Ok, I admit, I never should have said 1/4-1/2 moa was capable out of a factory Savage. My numbers came from a 1/4" group, that I admit, happened once! And all of my other recently owned Savages have been around 1/2 moa or slightly better. BUT, like many of you, I would find a load(or a box ammo) shoot that one group, then move on.

I guess my comparisons to either my previously owned custom rifles, or my buddies custom rifles, was always more out in the field. For example, squirrel shots at 550 yards, or first round hits on moa size targets out to 1000 yards. I suppose all of that was 'consistent enough' for me, and I compiled it all in to saying, and abviously over interpreted, that some stock Savages shoot 1/4-1/2 moa out of the box. MY BAD!

Plus, I looked for some pics of previous sub half moa groups, and I couldn't find any from my stock Savages, which made me laugh, at how much more, everyone is going to think I'm full of BS.
I suppose I assumed too much. I've seen several posts on here from guys that agree with me, that there are some stock savage rifles that shoot sub half moa. BUT, not a lot of proof.
Kinda shows, that they must be isolated incidences, and its not as consistent as I thought it was.

Nonetheless, I am sure everyone has different expectations from their rifle. I for one, like to have the most accurate rifle possible, so that I know it out shoots me, that way, if I miss! It's my fault. Which only challenges me to be a better shooter.

As I stated in my first line of the OP, 'hardly', and, the thread title was a hook, which obviously worked, even got some guys panties in a wad. Custom rifles will be around forever, I might have a 338 Edge built after Christmas.

BUT!! You can't deny, the amount of bone stock Savages, that are doing well in competitions, the guys here on the boards, and the guy next to you at the range, making ragged holes. They are out there. If they weren't, this thread would have been closed after the first post. For example, if this were the Chevy forums, and I came on saying "my bone stock 2010 Camaro SS does 10 sec in the 1/4 mile". The mods would either ban me, or nobody would even bother posting. Well... there's a lot of posting going on here. Obviously, there was some weight in my OP, even if only a little.

That being said, there has got to be some guys, if only a few, that will buy a savage instead of a custom rifle.

That's all I was trying to say. And I apologize if I went about it the wrong way.

Flame away!

I just want the best rifle that $1000 MSRP can get me. And I thought that was an FCP-K. Never having shot it yet, I'm hoping I made the right decision. We will see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa! Where has this thread gone? I leave you guys alone for a few days, and everything takes a turn down negative lane?, lol.

</div></div>

Mmmm, that's nice but a little too late Dr. Frankenstein, your monster has been running around the village the last few days and some of the locals aren't real happy.....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa! Where has this thread gone? I leave you guys alone for a few days, and everything takes a turn down negative lane?, lol.

</div></div>

Mmmm, that's nice but a little too late Dr. Frankenstein, your monster has been running around the village the last few days and some of the locals aren't real happy.....
laugh.gif
</div></div>

LMAO!

i think the original purpose of the post was to say wow savage has come along way and not to say they are better than a custom rig. like usually some1 has to step up to the urinal and see if he can piss farther then the last guy. if you dont like the savage threads here is an idea dont read em. go back to jerking off to your soldier of fortune magazine and picking on small children. if you have to down talk someone to feel better about ur 5000 dollar rifle you could always call a 1 900 number and talk shit to some girl whos daddy didnt hug her enough 4 99cents a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think the original purpose of the post was to say wow savage has come along way and not to say they are better than a custom rig. like usually some1 has to step up to the urinal and see if he can piss farther then the last guy. if you dont like the savage threads here is an idea dont read em. go back to jerking off to your soldier of fortune magazine and picking on small children. if you have to down talk someone to feel better about ur 5000 dollar rifle you could always call a 1 900 number and talk shit to some girl whos daddy didnt hug her enough 4 99cents a minute. </div></div>

So much for the not talking down part...Pretty hypocritical if you ask me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup its sarcasm yet another service i offer </div></div>

Perhaps grammar, punctuation and spelling should also be a service you consider?
4 real

I am sorry. I was not aware i would be graded on my response. Good day sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think the original purpose of the post was to say wow savage has come along way and not to say they are better than a custom rig. like usually some1 has to step up to the urinal and see if he can piss farther then the last guy. if you dont like the savage threads here is an idea dont read em. go back to jerking off to your soldier of fortune magazine and picking on small children. if you have to down talk someone to feel better about ur 5000 dollar rifle you could always call a 1 900 number and talk shit to some girl whos daddy didnt hug her enough 4 99cents a minute. </div></div>

WUT?

That's just so wrong on so many levels. For instance, if you're gonna enter a pissing contest, you should try stepping farther away from the urinal, not closer to it. Just sayin.
laugh.gif

I've got a buddy who just got a savage 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and I suspect it is a shooter and will hang with our AI's and actual custom rifles. If I can this week, I intend to shoot a 5x5, doing my best, just to see. In the meantime, where are those targets gentlemen?

I'm no shooter but here are my 4 shot groups at 300 with my bone stock 338BA, shot back to back on the same day. Sorry next time I will shoot 5 shots, I did not know there was going to be a show and tell!! LOL

Col2fin.jpg

Diego

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Show me 3 consecutively fired sub-moa targets at 800 yards and I'll say you've got a winner no matter where it came from.

I'm likely guilty of using 100 yard groups as a performance litmus on occasion but it's not until you get <span style="font-style: italic">past</span> 600-ish yards that minor manufacturing imperfections kill accuracy. </div></div>

Horse shit

the failure to hold the same MOA at 600+ yards as at 100 yards is a failure of the shooter, not the system. This is an understanding of simple geometry, physical science and basic laws of physics and mathematics. Given MOA is a unit of angular measure- which is constant... Is external ballistics really that hard to grasp??? What is being said here is that if you were to have been able to measure the same group at different distances eliminating the all external factors, at 100 yards you may have a 3/4 MOA group, 1.5 MOA at 400 and 3MOA at 600 To believe this, you would have to set aside every established law of physics and math in relation to angular measurement.

Boy boy boy. Just what was needed in the bolt action section, another savage fanboy prick waving dick fight. More crotch grabbing than anything else looks like to me. You want to shoot against my custom for pinks? Bring your bone stock (not the high dollar Fclass target action either scooter) Savage and tape $2500 to the side of it or stuff it in the stock pack and we can have a go. Anything else is just a waste of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
horse shit

the failure to hold the same MOA at 600+ yards as at 100 yards is a failure of the shooter, not the system. This is an understanding of simple geometry, physical science and basic laws of physics and mathematics. Given MOA is a unit of angular measure- which is constant... Is external ballistics really that hard to grasp??? What is being said here is that if you were to have been able to measure the same group at different distances eliminating the all external factors, at 100 yards you may have a 3/4 MOA group, 1.5 MOA at 400 and 3MOA at 600 To believe this, you would have to set aside every established law of physics and math in relation to angular measurement.
</div></div>

Then lets remove external environmental factors (and the shooter) and rely on "physics" "science" "math" whatever, to hit that distant target. To believe what you're saying to be true, you'd also have to believe that all barrels are created equal and can apply the same stabilization effect on the round at all distances regardless of manufcture, length, twist, chamber dimensions, velocity, etc. You'd also have to believe that the rate of temperature change of that same barrel during fire, and the way that barrel reacts to that change, has no effect on the round at increased distances.

I'm not pretending to be a ballistics expert...I'm merely a shooter. But I think you'd also have to believe in the Easter Bunny to think that a projectile only reacts to math.

Internal ballistics happen before external ballistics.

As far as Savages being ugly...

Just like that ugly girl you dated in high school, turn the lights out and squeeze the trigger...

I am new to this forum. I have quite a few savages my 10fp ha been nothing but amazing single hole groups at 100 at 600 about a 4 inch group pretty good for a out of the box rifle. My new 110 hs in .338 shoots 2.5 inch groups at 600 if I do my part. As for killing the custom rifle not a chance people buy custom to have the biggest and baddest.

Savage will never kill the custom market, but they are killing all other "factory" rifles in it's price class.

Wow, so much anger. It seems to me some of those who spent a lot of money on Customs are a bit butt hurt for no reason. It does not matter what you have, as long as its what you want.

If it wasn't for the reasonably priced Savage 338LM I would still not own a high powered long range rifle. Now I own one I can see some day down the road building a nice custom once I know more about what I am looking for and what I want out of it.

As far as ugly goes, I think mine is anything but ugly
_PAS0191.jpg

I can not comment on the accuracy with any authority, I have only shot one 3 shot group with it (yes it was sub 1/2 MOA @ 200 yards and I did post a pic of the full target http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2944103#Post2944103). I have no first hand knowledge if this is typical or not and how it generally compares to other rifles. I'm sure many are better and many are worse. Not here to brag or make claims, but mention I was personally very impressed with my initial results. One day soon I will run 5 and 10 shot groups at a min of 200y to see how it really does.

OK, I've seen a lot more bragging...but, I still haven't seen a single 5x5.

Comical...really.

Please stop digging up what is likely the best groups your rifle has shot to post here and act as though that is enough to substantiate your "all day" "anytime" "always" claims.

I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up? Are we all just going to have to continue to read how awesome your rifle shoots...and "trust" you?

Even if it doesn't turn out a 1/2 MOA average...someone, please actually show us what your rifle can do!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
horse shit

</div></div>

Then lets remove external environmental factors (and the shooter) and rely on "physics" "science" "math" whatever, to hit that distant target. To believe what you're saying to be true, you'd also have to believe that all barrels are created equal and can apply the same stabilization effect on the round at all distances regardless of manufcture, length, twist, chamber dimensions, velocity, etc. You'd also have to believe that the rate of temperature change of that same barrel during fire, and the way that barrel reacts to that change, has no effect on the round at increased distances.

I'm not pretending to be a ballistics expert...I'm merely a shooter. But I think you'd also have to believe in the Easter Bunny to think that a projectile only reacts to math.

Internal ballistics happen before external ballistics. </div></div>

Your last statement says it all. Internal ballistics happen before eternal. In other words, the rifle has imparted all impact on bullet travel that it will have BEFORE the bullet leaves the barrel... Once it has left, exterior ballistics takes over. Once it leaves the barrel it is set on a path for which the rifle has no more impact. What you are arguing is that a minute of angle is not linear, or that the path of a bullet upon leaving the barrel cannot be measured in a linear manor. You are literally arguing against a well established mathematical fact. Stop blaming the rifle for someone's shit shooting. This is really a very easy concept to understand.

MOA.jpg

You are arguing it is possible for a string of fire to travel in a flight path following the blue. MOA is the red. So, by your argument, it is possible for a rifle to follow along in the red (MOA) until it reaches a certain point, at which point the linear path of a bullet deviates and tracks along the blue. I believe this very simple illustration says it all. Shit rifles are capable of bending the laws of physics. Who knew? Turns out it IS possible for a group to maintain 1MOA to a certain distance, THEN open up- sort of like a bell rather than a cone. Glad you enlightened me. And all this time I thought the effects a rifle had on a bullet were constant and linear. All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, so much anger. It seems to me some of those who spent a lot of money on Customs are a bit butt hurt for no reason. It does not matter what you have, as long as its what you want.

If it wasn't for the reasonably priced Savage 338LM I would still not own a high powered long range rifle. Now I own one I can see some day down the road building a nice custom once I know more about what I am looking for and what I want out of it.

As far as ugly goes, I think mine is anything but ugly
_PAS0191.jpg

I can not comment on the accuracy with any authority, I have only shot one 3 shot group with it (yes it was sub 1/2 MOA @ 200 yards and I did post a pic of the full target http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2944103#Post2944103). I have no first hand knowledge if this is typical or not and how it generally compares to other rifles. I'm sure many are better and many are worse. Not here to brag or make claims, but mention I was personally very impressed with my initial results. One day soon I will run 5 and 10 shot groups at a min of 200y to see how it really does.
</div></div>

I can't believe somebody actually said Savage's are ugly, but to each his own. As for the rifle above, drop dead sexy! IMO
oh,,,, and sub 1/2 moa!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I've seen a lot more bragging...but, I still haven't seen a single 5x5.

Comical...really.

Please stop digging up what is likely the best groups your rifle has shot to post here and act as though that is enough to substantiate your "all day" "anytime" "always" claims.

I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up? Are we all just going to have to continue to read how awesome your rifle shoots...and "trust" you?

Even if it doesn't turn out a 1/2 MOA average...someone, please actually show us what your rifle can do!

</div></div>

I don't know why this has turned in to a calling out contest, the purpose of the thread was simply to say, some new savage's might get purchased before someone takes the leap in to a custom.

I have never ever shot a 5x5, I think its called, seems like a waste of good ammo.

Megahoser, I am in NO WAY calling you out, but you seem to be calling out the savage guys on claims, nobody has really made here. Could you post up one of your 5x5's so we could all see what it looks like? No matter what your rifle is, just wanna see a 5x5 from someone. I suppose I could google it, but where's the fun in that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve?</div></div>

Here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZQi3ODB-U

A simple answer to the OPs question is no, Savage is not hurting the custom market at all. What people seem to forget here is that it is not all about accuracy. Sure anybody can run to the local gun shop and pickup a nicely configured Savage that shoots well. But for many people that is not enough. The reason myself and so many other shooters out there dish out the money we do on custom rifles has little to do with improved accuracy. Rather it has everything to do with getting a absolutely incredible rifle configured exactly how we want it. You have to understand there is a lot more to a custom rifle then a nice paint job and a high quality stock that is properly bedded. We pay so that we can have a rifle built on the action we like, barreled with a barrel of our configuration (length, twist, chamber configuration, etc....), sitting in the stock of our choosing, with the bottom metal that we prefer, and finished out with the finished we prefer (Nitride, cerakote, dipped, etc...). And all that is done by a skilled smith who will give us a rifle with the fit and finish that no factory rifle can match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve?</div></div>

Here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZQi3ODB-U </div></div>

HAHA! I have no idea what movie that is from but the cheese factor is way too high.

Best of both worlds........buy a savage and customise it!!! Then it is really you doing most, if not all the customization at home. Then its your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up?</div></div>

There are four long range rifle matches a month near Castle Rock, CO. You ever shoot one?

Savage is kiling the custom market about like bottled water is the killing tap water market. Savage and tap water do have something in common. They are both good for flushing the toilet