• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market?

Re: Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market?

All of you peckerheads are wrong. Savages are a gateway drug, I never tinkered with my 700 (because I had to pay someone else to do it). My first Savage wasn't exactly what I wanted so I sold it (for a profit) then bought a Stevens 200 and stripped it down to the receiver and built it up exactly how I want it.

A week before deer season my stock had a serious issue that required being sent back to the mfg, I thought that I was SOL until a friend loaned me his target action bedded into a McM A-3. Five minutes later with a headspace gauge and barrel nut wrench I was back in business.

Savages give a taste of customizing a rifle. They shoot very well but not as good as the 2 RWS custom builds that I have had the pleasure to shoot so they won't replace the custom rifle anytime soon.

As for the guys bitching about the asthetics of the Savages, why don't you run down to Nordy's and find some lipstick to match your earrings.

Have a nice day.

TW

Maybe the real question is whether or not Savage is putting a bind on gunsmiths?? If you drive a savage, and the numbers are increasing, there isn't as much need for the smith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL - my gun is better than your gun.... </div></div>

My gun has a 30rd mag and folding stock.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your last statement says it all. Internal ballistics happen before eternal. In other words, the rifle has imparted all impact on bullet travel that it will have BEFORE the bullet leaves the barrel... Once it has left, exterior ballistics takes over. Once it leaves the barrel it is set on a path for which the rifle has no more impact. </div></div>

Really? What happens internally has no affect on the projectile after it leaves the bore? External ballistics "takes over"? You mean to tell me that external forces (excluding environmental) have the ability to compensate for lets say the difference in flight path between a projectile travelling at 2600fps and another from the same bore travelling at 2550?

Why do you think people reload? (and think carefully about your answer)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you are arguing is that a minute of angle is not linear, or that the path of a bullet upon leaving the barrel cannot be measured in a linear manor. You are literally arguing against a well established mathematical fact. Stop blaming the rifle for someone's shit shooting. This is really a very easy concept to understand.</div></div>

I never said a minute of angle is not linear. What I <span style="font-style: italic">implied</span> is that the projectiles response to internal ballistics is not linear (at all) once it leaves the bore. In fact this is the primary reason that autos can often shoot sub minute at 100 yards yet can't find the plate at 800...because what happens internally creates variation that is magnified greatly, particularly when a round such as the .308 approaches its max effective range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are arguing it is possible for a string of fire to travel in a flight path following the blue. MOA is the red. So, by your argument, it is possible for a rifle to follow along in the red (MOA) until it reaches a certain point, at which point the linear path of a bullet deviates and tracks along the blue. I believe this very simple illustration says it all. Shit rifles are capable of bending the laws of physics. Who knew? Turns out it IS possible for a group to maintain 1MOA to a certain distance, THEN open up- sort of like a bell rather than a cone. Glad you enlightened me. And all this time I thought the effects a rifle had on a bullet were constant and linear. All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve? </div></div>

I'm not arguing that its possible, I'm telling you that it does in fact happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of you peckerheads are wrong. Savages are a gateway drug, I never tinkered with my 700 (because I had to pay someone else to do it).

TW </div></div>

If you can change the barrel on a Savage you can change the barrel on a Remington. It's just easier to headspace a Savage. Now if you start with a barrel blank, that's a different story for both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up?</div></div>

There are four long range rifle matches a month near Castle Rock, CO. You ever shoot one? </div></div>

Where are these matches? What distance? Format?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying a savage will effect the custom gun market is like saying a <span style="font-weight: bold">camaro</span> will effect the ferrari market.</div></div>

fixed it for you </div></div>

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Folks who buy high end things do so because they can or because they want to and they're willing to accrue the cost.

The speed limit is 75 and I can do that in a Honda Civic, a Camero, a Lexus, a pickup truck, etc. They all go from point a to point b. I choose the nicer one because I can.

My g-shock tells me the same time as my Rolex. I wear both. Why, becuase I want to.

My Remington 5R shot amazing groups even with a cheap scope on it; but my GAP and NF make me feel better when I shoot and it does perform better. So I choose the nicer setup.

You walk through this life once. Why not have the best you can if for no other reason than to experience the best things life has to offer.

Don't have a high paying job? Me either. Sacrifice brother. Pick and choose what you want and don't want and live life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGosnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up?</div></div>

There are four long range rifle matches a month near Castle Rock, CO. You ever shoot one? </div></div>

Where are these matches? What distance? Format? </div></div>

1st Sunday:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=32563#Post32563

2nd Saturday:
http://www.wildlifehunters.com/steeldogs.htm

3rd Saturday:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=315062#Post315062

4th Saturday:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2482083#Post2482083

I have a Savage model 10 Precision Carbine that came stock with a 5r threaded barrel, fluted barrel, and a 1 in 11.25 twist. Its a great gun and super accurate, but if I had the money I'd buy a better gun. Just cause I had the money haha

Ok to another perspective. we build custom rifles because we can tailor the rifle for the end use. we can make the rifle the exact weight to suit the comp you will be shooting a factory has to make a rifle to fit multiple disiplines. i know of a brand new Savage F Class in 6.5-284 that is shooting 6" groups at 50 yards the guy is sending it in to be inspected. the rifle is brand new shooting 140gr MatchKings. i also have come accross other savages that shoot very well and for the price they would be hard to pass up if you like the look of them. i think they are but ugley and wont own one but that is my choice i dont like huge women either but others do so it is eye in the beholder.

As for their offerings they are smart in buisness as they are offering options for people that allow them to use their rifles for multiple uses and in calibres and stocked like the current customers are wanting.

As for their machining it is total crap on their barrels we refit barrels the same as any other barrel and throw that nut away you can change the barrel on a Rem or savage with simple tools having the rem recoil lug pinned or a locating tool. i think it is a lot safer to change a barrel that has a machined shoulder and set by a competant gunsmith than a lot of people changing Savage barrels with the nots. I have seen a lot os savage actions screwed up because people think they are instant gunsmiths aswell.

There is another F Class Rifle i know of in 6mmBR that the owner has to trim all of the brass short so the new cases will chamber.

To me it seems like they have quality issues like every one else out there making high volume sales except the euro rifles like Tikkas to me they are the best value for money and best bang for your buck only in a timber stock not their plastic offering. but a Tikka with plastic stock can be restocked in a Manners or Chassis and would be a way better rifle than a Savage and also a factory Remington in the lower models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are arguing it is possible for a string of fire to travel in a flight path following the blue. MOA is the red. So, by your argument, it is possible for a rifle to follow along in the red (MOA) until it reaches a certain point, at which point the linear path of a bullet deviates and tracks along the blue. I believe this very simple illustration says it all. Shit rifles are capable of bending the laws of physics. Who knew? Turns out it IS possible for a group to maintain 1MOA to a certain distance, THEN open up- sort of like a bell rather than a cone. Glad you enlightened me. And all this time I thought the effects a rifle had on a bullet were constant and linear. All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve? </div></div>

I'm not arguing that its possible, I'm telling you that it does in fact happen. </div></div>

Yea, sorry but battle ax is correct here. Something as minute as a bullet not being perfectly symetric with the barrel for one thing will have dramatic effects at distance and thats not even one of the more important aspects of the rifle/bullet/powder/primer/barrel/chamber/stock/etc/etc combo that ALWAYS has a greater effect at longer range than short range.

That is why you are supposed to do your load workups at longer ranges, to see the all the effects that are hidden at point blank.

The reason that custom rifles will always, I repeat ALWAYS, be more accurate than factory (this is on average, not "my best bud bro cuz uncle dog ex owner has a bone stock xxx that can shoot bug holes all day long in any conditions) => Tighter tolerances, the sum of the parts, attention to detail that a human can do that a machine that is mass producing products cannot. Dont get me wrong, machines are getting pretty darn amazing these days, and the good ones can hold tighter tolerances than a human, but a large company mass producing a product will not pay for that extra tolerance/compoent quality/time to assemble/testing/etc that a custom builder will. IF they did, the price is not going to stay where they want it to be. Savages fall into this area. I guess my point is, Savage is no where near killing the custom market. Like someone said, its a gateway drug. Soon enough you will truly know you can outshoot ur factory rifle, and will want a custom to push your limits.

Regards
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve? </div></div>

Its called a Savage...HA!! counldnt resist...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DT </div></div>

Where did you get the first line in your signature? Was that me at the last match????????????? I want royalties!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdbiker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of you peckerheads are wrong. Savages are a gateway drug, I never tinkered with my 700 (because I had to pay someone else to do it).

TW </div></div>

If you can change the barrel on a Savage you can change the barrel on a Remington. It's just easier to headspace a Savage. Now if you start with a barrel blank, that's a different story for both. </div></div>

Not true.

The barrel nut is the reasoning for the do-it-yourself guy that does not have the tools and immediate resources to change a traditional barrel such as a Remington. Granted, this does in fact make the headspacing easier, but it is easier due to the barrel nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually it is true, you can do a Remington 700 with a bbl nut as well.

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/remington-700-rifle-barrels.html

Remington bbl swap in 10 minuites.

</div></div>

Obviously there are options for doing a barrel nut on a Remington, but the original context was that you could just swap a barrel on a Remington with no mention of a barrel nut. In which case, you would still want to true the action on the Remington where as the Savage floating bolt head eliminates the problem of the bolt properly aligning to the chamber.

(I'm still not justifying Savage being better, just stating a fact so don't go jumping on me everybody)

-Jim Briggs also offers these barrel nut options for the Remington as well as McRees.

you can do anything but if a barrel is correctly fitted nut gust thread half the barrel and guis thaty it is close enough then tighten it with a not type situation then you just screw a barrel out and screw another one in. i change barrels using the hitch on my car at the range in under 5 minuits with no need for guages or extra exuiptment. i will shoot a 6mmDasher in comp then change the bolt and screw a barrel out and screw the 7mmSAUM barrel in simple as that and my 300 yard zero is within 1 moa between the two. it is more trouble to reheadspace a Savage at the range. You do not work on guns for a living do you? the reason for the barrel nut is they dont have to machine to any tolerance at all they roll thread the barrel screw a nut on and then headspace it close enough that is not good work practice to me.

Also do you know what happens to a thread when you tension it? if you headspace a barrel correctly and use a shoulder to locate it it will stop and tension correctly into the correct headspace position with a barrel nut you screw the barrel to it touches the headspace guage then you tighten the barrel nut this actualy puls the barrel away from the headspace guage depending on how well the healix angle on the roll threaded barrel and nut fit it can then give you excessive headspace. i am against people just changing their own barrels because they are usualy cheep asses that dont buy a set of headspace guages they just think if the GO guage go's then all is OK but they dont realise that the NO Go can also go and create a dangerous situation. I have seen people chjange their barrels have some crap int he chamber and then shoot and wonder why they were getting head spereations. If that barrel has been machined correctly with a shoulder you can not stuff it up in the field like people do all the time with a savage and barel nut or any other rifle that uses the half assed lasy approach of a barrel nut.
Also if you have a larger diameter barrel with a shoulder it handles the pressure better with larger cases on any action and this is why we only fit any barrels to Savages or other rifles correctly with full diameter barrels and locking up on a shoulder like the best practice should be done.

Now c'mon. No one ever said BETTER. That is NOT what this thread was ever meant to be.

It was stated simply was a manufactuer that was making offerings that were pointing more toward what the shooting public was looking for. I mean c'mon other than a 6.5x47 Savage has it going on for rifles. A 20" Hunter in 6.5CM, .243, .260, a 24 or 26" Hunter long bbl threaded with a brake, a target model 24" heavy fluted bbl in the same, and a LRP that is just bad ass.

I am not a Savage guy. I did just buy one and will proly never shoot it. I own several GAP, and several Surgeon. But one has to admit that they are offering several sku's that are very appealing to someone that may not want to spend over 1K, 2K, 3K and wait for 6 months or a year for a custom.

They are not a replacement for spending lots of money but it would make one stop and think a bit.

The truth is most custom rifles look like the ones in the movies and people must have it. The one thing I have noticed is that customs seem to stay be most consistent across the board with many types of ammo. However, what does it matter if you can shoot ragged holes with 25 different loads with a $4500 rifle when the $750-$1000 rifle can do it with 5 different loads? Are you going to carry all 25 into the field with you? Forget the $1000 rifle, I got told to not buy a Remington 770 because it wasnt as good as the 700. No, it didnt do well with the cheap core-lokts or federal junk, but the money I saved purchased the components to load 4 different loads that deliever 0.5 MOA or better groups. Buy you a good rifle you can afford and learn how to shoot the heck out of it. If you need more accuracy, send it to the gunsmith. Custom guns are amazing in every since of the word. But their cost disqualify themselves from a lot of peoples budgets at the best of times, and that keeps them out of our great sport and traditions. We cant afford that either.

I am a rifle looney. I shoot alot of different rifles and love them all for what they are. My go to deer rifle is still a Rem 7600 in 30-06. I bought it in 1986 with my 16th birthday money. It shoots about 1.5 MOA with handloads and kills deer dead. I've put more meat in the freezer with that rifle than anything else I've got. I have a Savage that Kevin Rayhill worked on for me, new stock and new barrel in .260. It shoots awesome. Got 2605 rounds in it according to the log book. Over all it shoots 3/4 MOA. I have gotten some 1/4 groups but over all it's solid 3/4. When it came to buying a rifle to get into tactical matches I went with a CZ550 in .308. Handloads are not allowed in competition and I wanted the most reliable action I could afford. As far as reliability goes nothing beats a Mauser. It's a good shooting rifle and holds sub MOA. I don't expect it to be a benchrest gun but I do expect it to shoot in any conditions. It's hard to have a super reliable rifle that is built with tight tolerences, they just don't mix well. All of this being said, I really want a custom rifle made just for me the way I want it built. I just can't figure out what I want and keep from buying rifles long enough to save the money. The whole idea that Savage would kill custom smiths is silly. Savage makes a good rifle at a good price point. They have outstanding customer service. They listen to what people want and try to give it to them but they will never be a GAP or (insert favorite smith here). I think Lowlight said it best with "for fucks sake go shoot". Buy what you can afford and shoot as much as you can. Also but a log book for each rifle and keep up with what it does. If more people did that this "my gun is consistantly .25MOA crap would go away. One or two good groups in a row is not consistant. Shoot 1500 rounds and do the math, then you will actually know what your rifle, and you, are capable of.
Patrick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your last statement says it all. Internal ballistics happen before eternal. In other words, the rifle has imparted all impact on bullet travel that it will have BEFORE the bullet leaves the barrel... Once it has left, exterior ballistics takes over. Once it leaves the barrel it is set on a path for which the rifle has no more impact. </div></div>

Really? What happens internally has no affect on the projectile after it leaves the bore? External ballistics "takes over"? You mean to tell me that external forces (excluding environmental) have the ability to compensate for lets say the difference in flight path between a projectile travelling at 2600fps and another from the same bore travelling at 2550?

Why do you think people reload? (and think carefully about your answer)</div></div>

One rifle shooting a projectile at 2600 fps and another rifle shooting a projectile at 2550 fps is not a scenario we're discussing. The claim being made that DP425 is trying to refute, says that two <span style="font-weight: bold">equal*</span> rifles that each print the same average group size in MOA at <span style="font-style: italic">n</span> distance can (in the absence of environmental factors) print statistically different group sizes at a given multiple of <span style="font-style: italic">n</span>.

*Firing the same load at the same speed with the same spin, within equivalent standards of deviation.

Now, it's entirely possible that one given rifle might fail to fully stabilize a projectile, or that a given muzzle velocity might lead to transsonic instability sooner than that of another load, but those are fundamentally attributable to the particular ammunition used, they don't tell us anything meaningful about the quality of the rifle itself. We're interested in the specific characteristics that distinguish two rifles apart from each other, and the claim that a "custom" rifle is somehow capable of beneficially modifying a ballistic trajectory <span style="font-weight: bold">after</span> the bullet has left the barrel (while the factory rifle is not) is simply irrational.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you are arguing is that a minute of angle is not linear, or that the path of a bullet upon leaving the barrel cannot be measured in a linear manor. You are literally arguing against a well established mathematical fact. Stop blaming the rifle for someone's shit shooting. This is really a very easy concept to understand.</div></div>

I never said a minute of angle is not linear. What I <span style="font-style: italic">implied</span> is that the projectiles response to internal ballistics is not linear (at all) once it leaves the bore. In fact this is the primary reason that autos can often shoot sub minute at 100 yards yet can't find the plate at 800...because what happens internally creates variation that is magnified greatly, particularly when a round such as the .308 approaches its max effective range.</div></div>

You're assuming a hypothesis, namely that some unknown characteristic about semi-auto rifles causes them to exhibit degraded accuracy between 101 and 800 yards. This hypothesis is entirely without any method by which such a change might be caused. Issues involving projectile stability aside (which can and are solved through barrel construction and tailoring loads), there's no physical reason why a bullet headed downrange with a given vector, spin, and velocity "knows" it was fired from a semi-auto rather than a boltgun.

I'll save you some time researching this 'hypothesis' and give you the answer: Most long range shooters suck. Most shooters suck in general. The average yokel at the range with an AR10 who can get marginally steady enough from a bench to print MOA or better at 100 yards doesn't <span style="font-weight: bold">know</span> enough information to be able to accurately and repetitively shoot that target at a longer distance, where environmental factors beyond "Hold the damn reticle in the middle of the target when you bitchslap the trigger" start to become of middlin' importance. And if I were to attempt a hypothesis of why this phenomenon is more prevalent amongst semi-autos, it might be due to the simple whiz-bang cool-boomstick factor that pretty much directs the entire market already. The ignoramus is naturally attracted to the self-shucker, and it is there that his ignorance most readily expresses itself downrange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are arguing it is possible for a string of fire to travel in a flight path following the blue. MOA is the red. So, by your argument, it is possible for a rifle to follow along in the red (MOA) until it reaches a certain point, at which point the linear path of a bullet deviates and tracks along the blue. I believe this very simple illustration says it all. Shit rifles are capable of bending the laws of physics. Who knew? Turns out it IS possible for a group to maintain 1MOA to a certain distance, THEN open up- sort of like a bell rather than a cone. Glad you enlightened me. And all this time I thought the effects a rifle had on a bullet were constant and linear. All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve? </div></div>

I'm not arguing that its possible, I'm telling you that it does in fact happen.</div></div>

You can also claim to have seen light exceed 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, but without some means of explaining how such a thing can happen within the constraints of modern physics, one would be well advised to have <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> form of proof at hand.

No offense intended, and I wish you well, but all too often in the shooting world there are certain pseudo-mystical ideas that begin to crop up amongst individuals that involve the derangement of physics and/or common sense. Until and unless someone can explain how a bullet can change course in midflight, there's nothing here to debate.

I just finished a custom Savage 10FCPK build and let me tell you IT'S THE LAST TIME I CUSTOMIZE A SAVAGE.

Excellent rifle out of the box. Great trigger, Great stock, Superb heavy fluted barrel (.26 MOA on my OAL test loads and I haven't even started playing with accuracy recipes).

Problem is Savage is so dang fickle with their designs(change them too much)that aftermarket equipment is extremely limited and expensive.

Bottem line, My next off the shelf rifle will probably be Savage...but my next Custom build will stick to the 700 action!

P.S. ONE EXCEPTION IS BARRELS! Savage makes GREAT barrels, and will make a custom barrel/caliber for ANY model they sell. (the above rifle was 10FCPK chambered in 325WSM with the .338's brake for example)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

MOA.jpg

You are arguing it is possible for a string of fire to travel in a flight path following the blue. MOA is the red. So, by your argument, it is possible for a rifle to follow along in the red (MOA) until it reaches a certain point, at which point the linear path of a bullet deviates and tracks along the blue. I believe this very simple illustration says it all. Shit rifles are capable of bending the laws of physics. Who knew? Turns out it IS possible for a group to maintain 1MOA to a certain distance, THEN open up- sort of like a bell rather than a cone. Glad you enlightened me. And all this time I thought the effects a rifle had on a bullet were constant and linear. All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve? </div></div>

I believe the "S-curve" theory is more likely caused by...lets see....
1. Poor measurment of the 100yd group = percieved difference in moa at various ranges.
2. Ummmm EVERYTHING marksmen train to account for dealing with external ballistics such as WIND VARIATIONS ALONG THE PATH, THERMALS, ricocheting off unfortunate litte bugs, and of cours tiny little fairy's that like to ride on the bullets part of the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

MOA.jpg

You are arguing it is possible for a string of fire to travel in a flight path following the blue. MOA is the red. So, by your argument, it is possible for a rifle to follow along in the red (MOA) until it reaches a certain point, at which point the linear path of a bullet deviates and tracks along the blue. I believe this very simple illustration says it all. Shit rifles are capable of bending the laws of physics. Who knew? Turns out it IS possible for a group to maintain 1MOA to a certain distance, THEN open up- sort of like a bell rather than a cone. Glad you enlightened me. And all this time I thought the effects a rifle had on a bullet were constant and linear. All I know is, where do I find one of these rifles that sends it's bullets on a flight path shaped like an "S" curve? </div></div>

I believe the "S-curve" theory is more likely caused by...lets see....
1. Poor measurment of the 100yd group = percieved difference in moa at various ranges.
2. Ummmm EVERYTHING marksmen train to account for dealing with external ballistics such as WIND VARIATIONS ALONG THE PATH, THERMALS, ricocheting off unfortunate litte bugs, and of cours tiny little fairy's that like to ride on the bullets part of the way. </div></div>

2. is the primary cause, above and beyond anything else you can think of. And that's DP425's point: larger groups (as measured in angular measurement) at distance are due to shooter inability to correctly read and compensate for environmental factors...<span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> because rifles naturally shoot bell-shaped distributions. You're making his argument for him.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You're making his argument for him.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I prefer to think of it more like agreeing with him and making fun of those that dont

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Megahoser, I am in NO WAY calling you out, but you seem to be calling out the savage guys on claims, nobody has really made here. Could you post up one of your 5x5's so we could all see what it looks like? </div></div>
Read back a ways the claims are thick...and many were quoted. I'm not calling out Savage guys per sae...but it does appear they are some of the quickest to boast ridiculous claims of accuracy with no substantiation. The 5x5, simply put, is 5 groups of 5 on the same page, which will obviously show the consistency of said rifle. It used to be the standard here. As For me posting my own 5x5...I'll be sure to get right on that...the first time I decide to run my mouth on a bullshit claim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up?</div></div>

There are four long range rifle matches a month near Castle Rock, CO. You ever shoot one?</div></div> Nope, not a one...I'm not much of a "competition" guy...might be up for it in the future, though. Thanks for the heads up.

FIrst off (and no offense) you guys really need to learn how to use the "quote" feature and quote either a single sentence, paragraph, or idea instead of an entire debate. It's makes it too difficult to figure out who or what you're actually refuting/quoting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One rifle shooting a projectile at 2600 fps and another rifle shooting a projectile at 2550 fps is not a scenario we're discussing. The claim being made that DP425 is trying to refute, says that two <span style="font-weight: bold">equal*</span> rifles that each print the same average group size in MOA at <span style="font-style: italic">n</span> distance can (in the absence of environmental factors) print statistically different group sizes at a given multiple of <span style="font-style: italic">n</span>.</div></div>

That's not what I'm discussing either. I'm talking about one rifle and the variations that occur internally between shots that directly affect the round once it leaves the bore. If these variations did not exist, every round would crono the exact same speed and enter the same hole every single time (minus environmental and the shooter). The ballistics curve is only linear if every object entering it is identical in every way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, it's entirely possible that one given rifle might fail to fully stabilize a projectile, or that a given muzzle velocity might lead to transsonic instability sooner than that of another load, but those are fundamentally attributable to the particular ammunition used, they don't tell us anything meaningful about the quality of the rifle itself. We're interested in the specific characteristics that distinguish two rifles apart from each other, and the claim that a "custom" rifle is somehow capable of beneficially modifying a ballistic trajectory <span style="font-weight: bold">after</span> the bullet has left the barrel (while the factory rifle is not) is simply irrational.</div></div>

I don't know where you're getting this from. The trajectory “is what it is” once the round leaves the bore. No arguement here. BUT that trajectory is NOT the same for every round fired unless they leave the bore at the <span style="text-decoration: underline">exact</span> same speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're assuming a hypothesis, namely that some unknown characteristic about semi-auto rifles causes them to exhibit degraded accuracy between 101 and 800 yards. This hypothesis is entirely without any method by which such a change might be caused. Issues involving projectile stability aside (which can and are solved through barrel construction and tailoring loads), there's no physical reason why a bullet headed downrange with a given vector, spin, and velocity "knows" it was fired from a semi-auto rather than a boltgun.

I'll save you some time researching this 'hypothesis' and give you the answer: Most long range shooters suck. Most shooters suck in general.</div></div>

A gas gun loses gas pressure behind the projectile while its still in the bore and it does not lose the exact same amount of pressure every time you pull the trigger. Because of this, things like "linear" and "predictable" go out the window. A bolt gun loses no pressure behind the projectile. That's not a hypothesis.

I won’t comment on the sucking habits of long range shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also claim to have seen light exceed 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, but without some means of explaining how such a thing can happen within the constraints of modern physics, one would be well advised to have <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> form of proof at hand.</div></div>

Crono your rifle and you'll have some of your proof. Going further, one day when I have range time to waste (rare) I’ll take my IR camera with me and show you the difference in group size obtained between a hot barrel/chamber, verses a cool barrel/chamber with a rifle with a lower end barrel. I’ll also show you just how hot a round can get merely from sitting in the chamber too long…a common occurrence in autos since the rifle chambers the round, not the shooter. You simply cannot quote “modern physics” and ignore heat and the effect is has on pressure, ignition, combustion, the barrel, and even the round.

Here’s a thought provoking question…do you believe that two identical metal objects, one at 250 degrees F, and one at ambient temperature, are the exact same shape and size?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense intended, and I wish you well, but all too often in the shooting world there are certain pseudo-mystical ideas that begin to crop up amongst individuals that involve the derangement of physics and/or common sense. Until and unless someone can explain how a bullet can change course in midflight, there's nothing here to debate.</div></div>

Thank you sir. I wish you well too. However I'll say again...I am not claiming that a bullet can change course mid flight. What I am stating to be a fact is that the projectiles trajectory is absolutely different every time you pull the trigger (assuming we're not talking about a $10K benchrest rig shooting handloads) and that difference is attributable to what happens inside the rifle after the primer is struck. Internal ballistics absolutely affects external ballistics and not necessarily in linear predictable fashion.

Either way I don’t see how any burden of proof falls in my lap. I’m not the one promoting the notion that an off-the-shelf rifle that prints “whatever” at 100 yards, can accomplish the same feat with the same level of consistency at 1000 yards. Likely no amount of debate, math equations, etc. could convince me otherwise.

I didn’t enter this thread because I have anything against Savage. To the contrary I like their rifles but there’s a very good reason that the top gun makers are not standing in line to obtain their barrels.

To add to this AXE, for the guys that might not be understanding all of this:

The reason you will see reduced accuracy downrange even though you can have decent consistency at 100yd is because of the deviation in velocity from each round fired which is what AXE is talking about in his post above. If you look at drop at 100yds, it's almost non existent. Look at trajectory downrange from say a 308, and it starts dropping a lot more once it starts getting out to 400+ yards. The differences in velocity really start to show at these points as opposed to 100yds where you can have a pretty big deviation and still see decent groups just because the bullets dont have much drop.

Internal ballistics happen before external ballistics and there is a reason a custom tube on a trued action with exact surfaces will be more consistent or nobody would spend good money for them. I've had both, and my Savages have always impressed me but when I slapped a Bartlein on one it was an obvious difference.

Good point. Velocity variation of up to 1000fps may only equate to 1/4" difference in elevation at 100yds...but run 1000fps difference through your ballistic comp and it may be in the range of 3 MOA additional drop at 1000 yds.

So you can have a gun with a massive variation in muzzle velocity caused by any number of chamber, load, gas feed, etc probs and it's invisible at only 100 yds.

So I eat crow....I guess it wasn't fairies riding the bullets afterall
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your last statement says it all. Internal ballistics happen before eternal. In other words, the rifle has imparted all impact on bullet travel that it will have BEFORE the bullet leaves the barrel... Once it has left, exterior ballistics takes over. Once it leaves the barrel it is set on a path for which the rifle has no more impact. </div></div>

Why do you think people reload? (and think carefully about your answer)

I never said a minute of angle is not linear. What I <span style="font-style: italic">implied</span> is that the projectiles response to internal ballistics is not linear (at all) once it leaves the bore. In fact this is the primary reason that autos can often shoot sub minute at 100 yards yet can't find the plate at 800...because what happens internally creates variation that is magnified greatly, particularly when a round such as the .308 approaches its max effective range.

I'm not arguing that its possible, I'm telling you that it does in fact happen. </div></div>

After some thought and a brief discussion with someone else, I've decided we might both be wrong. You are wrong because the grouping expansion at distance is not as a result of anything the weapon does to the bullet- that I already knew. I may be wrong because I failed to take into account the loss of velocity at distance, which in theory may impact the deviation from point of aim. This is, assuming bullet drift from center is measured in time. Meaning, due to the bullet slowing as it flies, what would have been, lets say a 1/2" group at 100y may expand to 7" at 1000y (2" over it's 1/2moa 100y posting). The theory would hold that the bullet drifts x amount per second of flight- there for as the bullet slows at a greater distance, it's drift increases.

However, I still have to give this more thought and discuss with a couple engineer friends of mine to really be able to come to a conclusion on this.

However, I am 100% certain that expansion of groups is NOT a result of the rifle itself as the bullet's path has been set upon leaving the barrel. We are shooting bullets from rifles, not rockets from a dragon. Poor stabilization and the other factors you listed are present the moment the bullet departs the rifle- thus it will already be showing the flaw at 100y. Point here is, any flaws in the way the rifle spits out the bullet are already there when it hits 100y and remains there no matter the distance.

however, this drift time/distance may have some truth to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up?</div></div>

There are four long range rifle matches a month near Castle Rock, CO. You ever shoot one?</div></div> Nope, not a one...I'm not much of a "competition" guy...might be up for it in the future, though. Thanks for the heads up. </div></div>

You seem pretty competitive here....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You seem pretty competitive here.... </div></div>

maybe there is an "I call Bull Shit" comp somewhere he is practicing for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying a savage will effect the custom gun market is like saying a <span style="font-weight: bold">Yugo</span> will effect the ferrari market.</div></div>

I fixed it again.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until and unless someone can explain how a bullet can change course in midflight, there's nothing here to debate. </div></div>

Keep your science and logic out of this dick measuring contest shitbird!

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying a savage will effect the custom gun market is like saying a <span style="font-weight: bold">Yugo</span> will effect the ferrari market.</div></div>

I fixed it again.

-matt </div></div>

HAHA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am beginning to wonder if anyone is actually going to step up?</div></div>

There are four long range rifle matches a month near Castle Rock, CO. You ever shoot one?</div></div> Nope, not a one...I'm not much of a "competition" guy...might be up for it in the future, though. Thanks for the heads up. </div></div>

You seem pretty competitive here....</div></div>How so? I don't think I'm being competitive at all. Confrontational to bullshit, yes...

Like I said, my irritation does not stem from Savage owners...as I've seen just as many SPS Tactical owners doing the same. Rather I am sick of all the knee-deep bullshit I have to wade through lately in a number of threads where guys are claiming 1/4, 1/3, & 1/2 MOA, constantly. This thread raised my ire to the point I decided to call people out to prove it in a verifiable manner. Haven't had a lot of takers, as everyone can see.

I don't run my mouth unless I can back it up. I'd just like to see that same sort of standard upheld here before I drown in this bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until and unless someone can explain how a bullet can change course in midflight, there's nothing here to debate. </div></div>

Keep your science and logic out of this dick measuring contest shitbird!

wink.gif
</div></div>

Mad me laugh out loud!

That's exactly what this has turned into, sheesh!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You seem pretty competitive here.... </div></div>

maybe there is an "I call Bull Shit" comp somewhere he is practicing for?</div></div> Yup, guess I've just been saving it up...Sure did find a good example forum in which to test my skills here, though...eh?

Are we still talking about Savage out of the box rifles? I think I'm lost or listening to the guys from "The Big Bang Theory" (the Shooting Channel version)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are we still talking about Savage out of the box rifles? I think I'm lost or listening to the guys from "The Big Bang Theory" (the Shooting Channel version)
</div></div>

Yes, we are talking about stock Savages shooting .05 MOA groups at 100 yards which puts AI rifles to shame however, the stock Savages shoot S-Curves which makes them substantially less accurate past 300 yards. And although Savages have easy caliber/barrel changes, doing it is likely to make the gun explode because you suck at tightening nuts and bolts. And no one can post a 5x5 because Savages are so accurate that the posters would be accused of firing 5x1's into paper held up by 2x4's while the rifle is rested on a 4x4. And some Savages, unfortunately, shoot 6 MOA groups at 100 yards because they were barreled backwards and shoot reverse S-Curves which result in .25 MOA groups at 1000 yards. And people only buy custom rifles because they are rich and stupid and like shiny things.

I think I covered it all...

ETA: Another reason people pay big money for custom rifles, and quite a valid one at that, is the intelligence and competence of the rifles fairy. Every rifle comes with an external ballistics fairy tasked with minor course corrections during the bullets trajectory. But only high dollar rifles come with A-class fairies. The lower the fairy's class the more mistakes they are bound to make. Paying almost nothing for a rifle increases the chances that the fairy is gay. This can be troublesome as we all know that gay is not straight, and we prefer that our rounds fly true.

The reason that semi-auto rifles are horribly inaccurate is because the possible rate of fire is so much higher that the fairy may not have the time to return to the muzzle in order to guide the next round. This rate of fire issue is also the leading cause of fairy fatigue.

You forgot the fairies riding the bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You forgot the fairies riding the bullets </div></div>

Ah yes. I will correct my omission.

I haven't read through all 6 pages, but I think it comes down to the shooter.

If you have a relatively new shooter who has a budget of $5K, he will be better served by purchasing a nice Savage and optics for $3K, and spending the remaining $2K on ammo and training than if he were to buy a $4500 GAP.

On the other hand, if you have an experienced shooter who has all optics, ammo and has had training, he'd probably be better served by spending that full amount on a custom rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't read through all 6 pages </div></div>

Though your post was irrelevant to what is being discussed specifically, I don't think anybody can argue with your logic. You sure missed out on a bunch of nonsense by not reading.