• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Geiselle SSA-E a versatile trigger?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I'm looking for a trigger that could be used for paper punching, varmint hunting, and possibly competitions. I like 2-stage triggers, and don't particularly care about weight. I'm looking for a very crisp trigger with a short pull.

Thanks!

I have been using the same one and really like it. I have used it for hunting deer, coyotes, crows and punching holes in paper especially at long range. A great two stage trigger that is fairly easy to install yourself.

Last edited:
    Its a top shelf trigger for the AR platform and its hard to get a better trigger in a 2-stage design.

Its a top shelf trigger for the AR platform and its hard to get a better trigger in a 2-stage design.

I agree with this, although I have an SD-E on my OBR. Same trigger with a flat bow.

Last edited:
    I have used three different SSA-E triggers over the years and just put one in my SIG 716 rifle last night.
    Trigger pull is a crisp 3 3/4 lbs with positive 1st and 2nd stage.

The only "bad" thing about Geissele triggers is the cost, lol.

Its good, but not as good as the Hi Speed Match & DMR triggers. They are the flagship of Geissele.

Some shooters like flat triggers in their 1911's. Some like flat triggers in their AR's. Some don't care if the trigger is curved or flat, so as long as it works well.

As far as a short take-up is concerned, the modular Wilson Combat two stage has a much shorter take up. But, the Wilson is a 4.5 pound trigger. The SSA-E is 3.5 pounds. Both triggers have crisp breaks. The Geissele has the better break - and is lighter.

The Wilson costs $269.95. The Geissele SSA-E is $230.00.

Its good, but not as good as the Hi Speed Match & DMR triggers. They are the flagship of Geissele.

Considering the relatively minor price differential, the OP should just go for the flagship model.

If the majority of your shooting is deliberate precision shooting, the Enhanced (lighter) models are going to suit you quite well. I've heard excellent reviews of the DMR trigger as well. If you plan on doing more dynamic "tactical" type training and shooting, I tend to believe that the Enhanced triggers are a bit too light for my tastes. The standard 4.5lb trigger pull of the SSA, SD-C and Super TRICON are more than sufficient for accuracy, and are more crisp in their break. The benefit of the two stage trigger is that while the overall pull weight may be the same, the perceived weight is less because it is broken down to two distinct stages.

I prefer the flat bow (SD-E) but you can't go wrong with either! GH

Leverage...

The flat trigger bow moves point of force in front of the trigger pin.

Another aspect of the SD-E that I appreciate is that you can position your trigger finger out at the end of the trigger for precision shooting to get a somewhat lighter feel, or in closer to the receiver for other uses. I've never found that to work particularly well with a curved trigger -- you can move your finger to the end of the trigger but for me it feels unnatural. I have SD-E's in two rifles, and an SSA-E in another, and prefer the SD between the two. The SSA-E is a great trigger in it's own right, some folks just prefer the feel of a flat trigger. SSA-E and SD-E have the same nominal pull weight and reset, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I'm completely biased towards Gieselle. I've got them in all of many AR's. The Hi Speed Nat Mat took me into the sub .5 moa realm on one rifle, but I definitely would not hunt with it. Probably wouldn't hunt with SSA-E and would use SSA for that. All damn fine triggers imo.

I love em, can't imagine owning a rifle in the AR platform without one anymore. There was a vendor on here I believe that had a sale $190 for the trigger shipped.

I've got an SSA in my patrol rifle and love it. Great product aside from the price but I though it was worth the price tag

-BTO-

For pure precision work is the SSA-E best. If shooting in a situation, where nerves are tight, SSA.

I bought a SSA-E for my AR15 patrol style rifle. The trigger pull is too light for this rifle (for my taste). This is my fun rifle, shooting prone, kneeling, sitting, standing, lay back, broke back mountain..... The SSA-E gives not enough resistance, some shots came too eraly.

So I put the SSA-E into my precision dedicated AR10. There it is perfect!

I bought a SSA for my patrol rifle. Perfect! Crisp, not too much or too light trigger pull.

YMMV ;o)

I have a SSA-E for my long range .308 AR, but I have a couple of SSAs for my 5.56 ARs. I am a recent convert to Geiselle triggers, but now I am not sure why I waited so long.

SSA-E is a clean breaking non adjustable trigger and the Hi-speed you can tailor to your liking for your purpose of the rifle. But you will be extremely happy with either one.

Other than the price tags, I dont think you will hear a bad thing about the SSA-E or any Geiselle trigger. I've got one on my HBAR build and I wish I could justify putting them in all of my AR's. But they don't give them away and as such, they come with a pretty good price tag.

I have SSA-E's on two lowers, and a SD3G on another one. The SD3G is Geissle's gamer trigger, with a light single stage break and a very short reset. I have found I prefer the SSA-E for all uses, including multigun competitions.

I've been considering these, do you have any experience with them?

Not that particular model. Although I was eyeballing it for use I a couple other -15s. The only thing that gave me pause was the pin clips. I have an SSA-E on my AR10, and like everyone else can attest to the fineness of this brand.

Some shooters like flat triggers in their 1911's. Some like flat triggers in their AR's. Some don't care if the trigger is curved or flat, so as long as it works well.

As far as a short take-up is concerned, the modular Wilson Combat two stage has a much shorter take up. But, the Wilson is a 4.5 pound trigger. The SSA-E is 3.5 pounds. Both triggers have crisp breaks. The Geissele has the better break - and is lighter.

The Wilson costs $269.95. The Geissele SSA-E is $230.00.

I like the Wilson Combat two stage Match trigger a bit better... It's listed as having a 4 lb pull but mine came in around 3.4 lbs as I just checked one...They do have another 2 stage trigger that has a 4.5 lb pull which is what I assume you are referring to... I've never tried that version but the match 2 stage TTU is very crisp, light and just as good break IMHO.

Last edited:
    i have an Armalite AR 10A4 that had the heaviest trigger pull I have ever encountered, 9 lbs. I couldn't get any better than 1.755" 5 shot 100 yard groups out of it. Changed to the SSA-E and groups shrank to just under 1 moa consistently. I now own 2 more. 1 on an LWRC M6A2 SPR and 1 one a SIG 716.

That would be a tough price to beat without becoming a dealer yourself! Geissele mark up is only a very slim 20%.
    I got mine! Two Hi-Speed (Service and DMR) in fact for $480 shipped. DMR will go into the MK12 replacing the SSA-E, and the Service Rifle will be for a new across the course rifle I'm building. Moving soon to Hampton Roads for a couple years, gotta get trigger time in somehow so I guess it's back to the basics with me. Damn I hate the east coast...

Leverage...

The flat trigger bow moves point of force in front of the trigger pin.

I've got several of their triggers, including the SD-E, SD3G, and SD-Combat. They are great units, and I've never had a problem with any of them. I prefer the look, feel and pull of the flat bow design, but it's really just a personal preference.

I have the SSA on my AR-15s for SHTF and DMR on my GAP-10 for long range precision. You can't go wrong with any of the Geiselle triggers. Selection is dependent on application/intended use.