• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Is there a app that...

distantfoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2006
El Reno, Ok.
Having some issues with the Applied Ballistic app when entering either 3 or 9 o'clock wind values. The difference in come-up, just short of 1 moa at 1k. (Would like to print some charts). Is there a way to negate this?

Lost faith in Ballistic AE when I realized adjusting temperature values when using DA did not affect the calculation.

Are there any apps out there that disregard wind direction in elevation corrections while considering temperature?

Last edited:
Having some issues with the Applied Ballistic app when entering either 3 or 6 o'clock wind values. The difference in come-up, just short of 1 moa at 1k. (Would like to print some charts). Is there a way to negate this?

Lost faith in Ballistic AE when I realized adjusting temperature values when using DA did not affect the calculation.

Are there any apps out there that disregard wind direction in elevation corrections while considering temperature?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but temperature individually should not affect the trajectory if using DA. Reason being, DA is a function of pressure altitude (the actual pressure observed expressed in units of relative altitude), as well as temperature. Therefore, the temperature is automatically considered if a DA is in use. The reason Ballistic allows you to enter a temperature is so that mach velocity can be calculated, as that cannot be calculated directly from DA.

In other words, the app works fine. Stop over-complicating stuff and go shoot. ;)

Air density altitude is a function of Baro, temp and humidity.

If you are seeing funky results you are either connecting those , or have them unconnected, when you enter your changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please elaborate, when adjusting only the wind direction input the elevation corrections change.

I was addressing - your statement

Other than that, a I am confused why you don't understand why a tailwind might make you lose elevation on your turrets.

I don't know your specifics but a 308 going slow with a 15 mile tailwind could lose (not drop as much) .3-.5 mil at 1000m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't mention a tailwind or headwind. When changing from a 9:00 to a 3:00 full value cross wind, the elevation correction changes by just short of 1 moa. (Applied Ballistics app) This is a right twist barrel.

Oh shit, 3:00 and 9:00 was my intention.

Think I found the app that doesn't discriminate between 3:00 & 9:00 winds, while giving small elevations adjustments for temp swings all while using da. (Shooter)

I've always understood da includes temperature in the calculations but I have confirmed temperature affects elevation corrections with both Applied Ballistic and Shooter while using da. (Only changing the temp value). It's not much but makes a difference.

Last edited:
At distance, a 3 or 9 wind DOES have an effect on elevation, and it SHOULD have a different come-up, so AE is working correctly. The reason for this is bullets are travelling slightly nose up and pointed towards the twist direction, which means a wind from 3 causes a little less drop and a wind from 9 causes a little more.

Temperature is a factor in the calculation of density altitude, there is no "temp swing" at a given density altitude. While it is possible to have a given DA at multiple temperature points, the station pressure and humidity will have changed, and the resultant drag will be the same.

In fact, the program should either have you enter DA, or else enter station pressure, temp and humidity, but never both, since entering a DA would negate the need for those separate inputs, and vice versa.

Before you want to change something, perhaps you should spend some time learning about how it should actually work.

Btw I don't think anyone is defending any specific app. Just trying to point out that you need to understand what Air Density Altitude actually is and how to use the app so you don't drive yourself crazy.

Many of us shooting ELR, use a Kestrel tethered, input station pressure etc. or use the Kestral itself for the ballistic solution at the time of firing. Dope cards, mils dot masters, whizz wheels etc. are usually a backup.

I sounds like you are trying to run TEMP charts based on temp changes at a specific altitude. If that's the case, you need to make sure all AD or absolute pressure is off, in some apps it is in the setting on the OS side not in the open app.. You would then use just the physical altitude (not DA altitude), temp and 50% hum--

BUT that would be a lot of charts (numerous altitudes X numerous Temps) your better off, using a rough Density Altitude Table and only have charts for Alt.

This is a good field type tool
View attachment 51225

You are correct, going on an out of state hunt and trying to make da charts. I would've been fine if I didn't mistakenly change the temp. Wasn't much but got me questioning everything. Here's a sample of my match rifle data with just temps swapped out.

Probably just making a mountain out of a mole hill but it's time to buy a AB Kestrel.

Last edited:
My understanding is that if you are using DA, and temperature.. the temperature is needed to calculate the speed of sound at a given temperature.

I had once asked about DA and temperature and this was what was explained to me.