• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a software that will measure group dispersion from POA? Mean distance?

I think that app is oriented towards scoring 3P Olympic style air rifle and 22LR targets - one shot per target bull - so there are no touching holes, or if there are, somebody screwed up.
Definitely oriented towards established competitions, but they have this sort of example on their “screens” page…unless that is some overlay function.

1E63AADC-1CB9-4857-A024-FD2A02D5455F.png
D6D71AD9-C413-4761-A226-4245FDA69DA1.png
61EBE583-9735-40E8-B0A3-39E600FC5924.png

Here’s a list of the supported competitions:

I am not familiar with them. Maybe one of you are?

Last edited:
Definitely oriented towards established competitions, but they have this sort of example on their “screens” page…unless that is some overlay function

Well, it appears I mis-spoke. I know some of those disciplines are definitely one-shot-per-target... but I know some of the others most definitely are not.

That said... the whole 'hole in hole' issue is precisely why disciplines like F-class skipped right over the optical target scan thing. Shots can and do go through the same hole, and given how hard it is sometimes for a person, physically standing in front of the 6 ft x 6 ft target frame, to find the shot hole when it does something evil like go right through the '0' of the "10", or through the upper loop of the "9" or the "8" (contrary to what Cortina & YT might lead you to believe, not every shot is an 'X' - particularly when you're shooting FTR), or in a wrinkle in the target face, or even just creasing the hole from the last shot.

The only way to resolve a hole-in-hole situation with an optically scored target, whether manual or computerized, is to have a moving backer, like they use in short range BR (and some forms of Olympic rifle/pistol) so if you only find 9 holes in the target but the shooter claims 10 were fired... there better be 10 holes in the backer sheet. Even then, there is a certain amount of 'assumption' about where exactly that shot went - which hole did it go through, or if there is one big ragged hole, where in that blob did the shot fall. For casual shooters, it's not a big deal. For disciplines where whether or not the bullet hole touches the line means the difference between first place or somewhere way down the list... it's a little more serious.

E-targets handle that, because every shot is recorded on its own, regardless of the physical appearance of the target face... but now there is some amount of instrumental error or statistical uncertainty as to the *exact* location of that shot due to the nature of how the sensors actually work. Pick your poison.

Reactions: Baron23
I think in almost 20 yrs of shooting HP and F-class I've seen those in the pits maybe twice. Small bore or air rifle might be a different matter. I know I've seen some pretty elaborate magnified optical doo-dads for scoring BR targets - before decent digital camera apps were a thing.

That's for scoring USPSA targets. Pretty effective if you know how to use them.

For HP the scoring plugs work much better.

Nobody cares about benchrest except boomers that can barely stay awake.

Only scoring plug I ever saw in the pits was the spindle of the scoring disc 😉

I know there were 'official' ones out there, just never saw them in the wild.

Different sports for different folks.

Only scoring plug I ever saw in the pits was the spindle of the scoring disc 😉

I know there were 'official' ones out there, just never saw them in the wild.

?

Most everyone I shot with had at least two (22 and 30 cal) in their pit kit

I'm guessing maybe you shot more CMP stuff? For whatever reason, the guys chasing leg points were wound a little bit tighter about that stuff (using gauges/plugs). Most matches I've been at (local, regional, national and international), the consensus was "if it's close enough you have to ask, the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt".

Unless of course the shooter was being a prick and challenging anything that was even close, despite the person pulling the target being 999 yards closer to the f'ing paper...