• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It's gonna get busier here,

Serious question: How do you plan to police the B/S/T sub forums and prevent scammers if people are allowed to change their username yet retain their post count and start date here?

Serious question: How do you plan to police the B/S/T sub forums and prevent scammers if people are allowed to change their username yet retain their post count and start date here?

Names don't matter. IP address matters and that stays the same

Reactions: Yasherka
Names don't matter. IP address matters and that stays the same

The IP addresses can be changed pretty easily with a quick call to your ISP.

The general geographic area would usually remain the same and the ISP host would be the same.
Unless you get more creative.

The general geographic area would usually remain the same and the ISP host would be the same.

We as mods have tools for this built into the moderation module?

I'm pretty sure the change would only apply to your display name and not your account name.

Right

We don't care, if you use 10 different IP Addresses, they show up, as well if more than user are sharing an IP that shows up,

We can dig down deep with a few clicks,

Trust me there is a reason you see very few issues lately even though the hackers try everyday

We stop them at the door and if it doesn't look like, we just reject it. I don't need the members that bad where I compromise this part of it

Changing a user name is meaningless in the big picture, you can change it ten times we still see

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.43.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.43.19 AM.png

I cut off the main information but everything is a link

More Users on the same IP we can see if a guy is using multiple accounts or if they were working together

Don't worry about how I am handling my business, By the looks of the PX Traffic you all are fine.

We remove, we don't care, if it's grey you are gone

Moderating takes a lot of things. A lot of things many don't have.

First it takes patience. Patience for the all the honest fudds that don't know any better, then patience not to hammer the ones that do know better, but are just having a bad day.

Second, it takes empathy and maturity. And no, not the touchy, feely, in contact with your feminine side type of empathy. More like, just being able to quickly and easily switch perspectives. And the maturity to understand people's perspectives (even if they're wrong). You also have to have the maturity (much like) of a parent;knowing when to let things play out, and when to step in before things get out of hand.

Third, it takes being a team player and communicator. You represent the owner's house, so you need to change how you normally react, to what will fit into the owner's mindset of how things should be run. You also need to be able to convey that, whether it be in a reprimand, or an endorsement of a charity gathering/movement (GGWG's for example). You have to be succinct, and understand that some will attempt to use your own words against you. Half literate, mis-spelled, grammatically poor messages will not aid you in being a good moderator.

Fourth, it takes a thick skin. People are going to bitch. People are going to suck up. People are going to look/ask for favors. It's a slippery slope, and requires a person to take nothing personally (good or bad).

Finally, fifth, it takes passion. Passion for what the forum is about, and putting personal shit aside for it, and never being really thanked for it.

At least that has been my experience. And many who want to be moderators, really aren't equipped to be one because of a deficiency in one or more of the above points. It's a tough job being one, and it's a tough job finding one who a.) has the skill set, and b.) desires to have the job.

Kudos to those that do, with much thanks and admiration.

MPMI
So if I read this right, you’re nominating Tucker?

You should always keep a list of local soft target preppers

That’s easy. Walk inside their house and cough a couple times.

They will abandon everything.

I don't think any of them are French so instant surrender is probably not the path here.

The good news is they're all 'preppers' as far as hoarding supplies, the men are generally nothing to worry about and next to none of them know shit about weapons/how to shoot.

ETA - I nominate myself for the newly created Adjudicator of Poverty position where I determine if you are to be cast off to the land of the poors and cannot buy/sell anything in the EE, nor can you start threads about your equipment needs that are limited by your measly budget. You are then branded as such, and your account is transferred to 24hourcampfire where you will contemplate the horrible life decisions that brought you to this point. If you are found attempting to bypass this and return to the site, you will be, without trial, sent to the SH reeducation camp in Utah.

Last edited:
I hope all this covid commotion won’t affect your classes Lowlight.
Thanks for this site.

With everything shutting down, and people being asked to stay home, the internet is gonna get busy

We already have seen an uptick in registrations, and we have been growing as many lament with the new users

So, with that said,

Understand the members make the forum work. If this place is not working for you, ask yourself why? The systems in place are solid and improving. We are 3/4 through some pretty bold upgrades like the new front page with unified registration and logins. You will also be able to access the forum from the home page. So the forum and articles will start to share a common set of links to navigate it easier.

Also once they upload the new front page I am adding some new features into the forum.

You'll have a bit more flexibility with your accounts, like one example, you'll be able to change your own user name. Probably just Full Members, but for sure that is one forum upgrade happening soon.

Lastly, try to guide these lost souls, limit the trolling in the information sections and keep the grab assing to the Bear Pit and Maggies. It's better to guide people into asking smarter questions vs just blowing up the threads.

I need to add 3 mods, but I am working on an outline for the mods to get a bit more specific on their duties. We want to make it easier for everyone. So if you have or see a problem use the Report button found on every post. If we reject the report because you hit the button for "Foul Language", don't start a bunch of crap because things did not go your way. The report button is the answer we can handle it from there. We don't need citizen mods running around causing drama.

Take things to PM, Use the Report Button, Educate the New Members before you troll.

Thanks, this stuff will keep the forum running,
Glad to learn you're investing in making this site an even better experience. It's already "very good"! Looking forward to the new changes.

Well, it certainly has gotten busier.

Im still new and sort of feeling my way around things and the "who's who" of the forum. Lots of great information shared, btw.

One interesting observation of late and counter to my initial understanding (im slow so...).

I had anticipated a bunch of new privates with new start dates eager to join conversations and add perspective.

What I am observing is a influx of old yet extremely low count post users. All good, just an observation and contrary to my initial thoughts.

For some reason, Frank never asked me to be a mod?
???

Don't feel bad, he hasn't asked me to be a moderator either. You and I both know we would be awesome. The Bender-Centuriator Moderator Team. We could get matching sweater vests.

Moderating takes a lot of things. A lot of things many don't have.

First it takes patience. Patience for the all the honest fudds that don't know any better, then patience not to hammer the ones that do know better, but are just having a bad day.

Second, it takes empathy and maturity. And no, not the touchy, feely, in contact with your feminine side type of empathy. More like, just being able to quickly and easily switch perspectives. And the maturity to understand people's perspectives (even if they're wrong). You also have to have the maturity (much like) of a parent;knowing when to let things play out, and when to step in before things get out of hand.

Third, it takes being a team player and communicator. You represent the owner's house, so you need to change how you normally react, to what will fit into the owner's mindset of how things should be run. You also need to be able to convey that, whether it be in a reprimand, or an endorsement of a charity gathering/movement (GGWG's for example). You have to be succinct, and understand that some will attempt to use your own words against you. Half literate, mis-spelled, grammatically poor messages will not aid you in being a good moderator.

Fourth, it takes a thick skin. People are going to bitch. People are going to suck up. People are going to look/ask for favors. It's a slippery slope, and requires a person to take nothing personally (good or bad).

Finally, fifth, it takes passion. Passion for what the forum is about, and putting personal shit aside for it, and never being really thanked for it.

At least that has been my experience. And many who want to be moderators, really aren't equipped to be one because of a deficiency in one or more of the above points. It's a tough job being one, and it's a tough job finding one who a.) has the skill set, and b.) desires to have the job.

Kudos to those that do, with much thanks and admiration.

MPMI
Very well said, after reading this u can see about 99.9% won't fit the bill. BAN! BAN! BAN! Amazing as how that's many folks cure to problems, or something that's not really a problem , more like they just think their view is the only one anyone should consider never taking into cosideration, maybe the other party is really that much of a rookie greenhorn, and doesn't realize how deep the puddle is he stepped into. Thanks MarinePMI

• Haha
Reactions: seansmd