• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Its is HOT!!

Keep mine at 79 in the house an 68 in the shop (while there) last months electric bill for all shop machines an home was $96.38. In the winter it drops to high 50's low 60's with a 50-75 NG gas bill bucks in the coldest months.

It was 57F when I left for work at 0545 this AM......
West side of Denver.

Gonna be wearing hoodies in the AM in 4-6 weeks..... ?

When we visited Aunt Susie in LA in July it was 96F and 75% at 0900 one day.
I cracked a beer and got in the pool.......

Reactions: Snuby642
93 degrees with 102 heat index and my ac unit is out!! This sucks sweaty balls!

How is your day going?

I run a HVAC company. I'm all for either global warming, or a coming ice age. In southern AZ, the season has really sucked for business. We never really got hot, the the 'monsoons never really kicked in.

Time to go hang out at the mall until your AC guy can get it fixed. If you're lucky it might just be a run or start capacitor. If it's time for a new unit, try to get into one of the variable speed inverter systems.

Sorry to hear you started the week off sucky.

I keep mine on 76-78 during the day, 72 at night. And my last power bill was $407! At 68 my power bill would probably be like $1200 lol.
The wife keeps ours at 72 day in, day out. Our electric bill is $19.19. Of course I have 40 panels on the roof, I haven't figured out if it is causation or correlation yet.

Reactions: Alabusa
Keep mine at 79 in the house an 68 in the shop (while there) last months electric bill for all shop machines an home was $96.38. In the winter it drops to high 50's low 60's with a 50-75 NG gas bill bucks in the coldest months.

How in the hell are you keeping your shop and house that cool at $96 a month? Geez. Of course 79 a little warm inside but 68 in the shop?

I run a HVAC company. I'm all for either global warming, or a coming ice age. In southern AZ, the season has really sucked for business. We never really got hot, the the 'monsoons never really kicked in.

Time to go hang out at the mall until your AC guy can get it fixed. If you're lucky it might just be a run or start capacitor. If it's time for a new unit, try to get into one of the variable speed inverter systems.

Sorry to hear you started the week off sucky.

It ended up being the fan motor and capacitor. $315 including tip.

Reactions: Barneybdb
I took this pic yesterday. I meant to post it but didn’t get around to doing so. This was approximately 1730 & I was a quarter mile from the Rio Grande.

We keep the house between 72 - 74* F & it feels like an ice box when you come in the door. This time of year even the pool water gets so warm it’s not much of a relief.

Attachments

• 423C00D8-3F86-4808-B18A-2B32A1F270F4.jpeg
    423C00D8-3F86-4808-B18A-2B32A1F270F4.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 44
Hot as heck here in Central Indiana also....couple that with the corn flies and you can't even go out side. My garage and shop have A/C and a beer fridge so we hang out there right now.

How in the hell are you keeping your shop and house that cool at $96 a month? Geez. Of course 79 a little warm inside but 68 in the shop?
Everything is very energy efficient, an it's just me. The home is half ass'ed insulated but the shop (24x30) is way more so as I built it. I installed 2.5 tons of A/C to keep up with the demand when cutting/welding/sanding an venting the fumes/dust outside. When I left Fla I swore I was never going to be hot in my own shop for the rest of my life. With the thermo set at 79 in the house an the ceiling fans running in the room I'm in it's very comfortable. Dropping the thermo to 75 adds 60 bucks to the summer bill, an for the 4 hot months that's a case of ammo, tool or supplys for the shop,... :p

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I took this pic yesterday. I meant to post it but didn’t get around to doing so. This was approximately 1730 & I was a quarter mile from the Rio Grande.

We keep the house between 72 - 74* F & it feels like an ice box when you come in the door. This time of year even the pool water gets so warm it’s not much of a relief.

Now 112 is hot. High Chaparral hot.

The_High_Chaparral_titlecard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Set at 72; actual temp is 70. Turn it down a little at night.

Walk outside on a day like today with a scoped rifle to shoot something you’ve got about 10 sec to get it done before condensation.

12 gauge dont need no scope..?
Red dot 223 neither. ?
Both get me to the scoped 338Lap in the "outside closet".... no condensation issues in our 40 degree temp shifts w/90% humidity that way. Gotta plan ahead for that stuff.

Red dot 223 neither. ?
Both get me to the scoped 338Lap in the "outside closet".... no condensation issues in our 40 degree temp shifts w/90% humidity that way. Gotta plan ahead for that stuff.
I have noticed an aim point w/ plastic see-through covers doesn’t have an issue. I guess it’s not as cold as glass?

Reactions: j-huskey
Red dot 223 neither. ?
So you don't have or carry a remote, for different parts of your property? :(

75-77 in So-Cal about 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean. It was 75 over the weekend. Not bad for mid August.

It's mid August in the mid west. It's hot (80s and 90s) and occasionally very humid.

In other news, water is wet.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
It ended up being the fan motor and capacitor. $315 including tip.

I replaced my own fan motor and cap last month for under $100.

The fan died on a Saturday evening and I found a supply house open on Sunday. An hour drive north, then back.
In fifteen minutes we had A/C again.

The unit is 12yrs old and got a hard start about 6 months ago.
I wonder how much longer it will run before it shits the bed.

When you need it the most is my guess. However as long as it's in Jan or Feb you should be fine,...:p

It runs mostly 12 months per year, so yeah. If it's gonna die, a winter month would be good.

I've replaced the blower motor and circuit board since we bought the house too. (3.5yrs ago) Good thing the stuff is easy.

And real old inefficient A/C units. At minimum replace them with a two speed. As an A/C Contractor Heat is my friend. :)

My units are oversized and only 2 years old. I just have a lot of area to cool and down here with this heat/humidity it will run the best of the best to death.

Oversized is bad for more reasons than power. The purpose of two stage or variable systems is you can be oversized without the negative effects.

2 stage or above units can keep you cool with a full house in the summer and still be the right size for everyday and winter use.

Humidity is the key to comfort or rather the lack of it. Too big means low runtime which equals high RH. You will feel cooler at a higher temp when RH is low.

Reactions: Dirty D
It runs mostly 12 months per year, so yeah. If it's gonna die, a winter month would be good.

I've replaced the blower motor and circuit board since we bought the house too. (3.5yrs ago) Good thing the stuff is easy.
What brand? If it’s gonna die 90% it happens in the heat when working the hardest.

Oversized is bad for more reasons than power. The purpose of two stage or variable systems is you can be oversized without the negative effects.

2 stage or above units can keep you cool with a full house in the summer and still be the right size for everyday and winter use.

Humidity is the key to comfort or rather the lack of it. Too big means low runtime which equals high RH. You will feel cooler at a higher temp when RH is low.

Isn't is also 'better' for the AC unit and more efficient the less the unit has to start up? Meaning, it's better to have it run for a long period of time than start up, run, shut down, start up, run shut down? This is the theory behind two stage? It can continue to run at a lower output avoiding restart and actually keeping temps more consistent?

I've always been told that an undersize unit is better than an oversized unless the undersized is so undersize that it can never accomplish it's goal. And oversized units tend to freeze the coolant lines and actually end up not working at all.

Between altitude (4350ft) and average humidity (20%), things feel cooler at a given temp than they would down in the valley, like PHX and Tucson.

Our A/C runs 77-78 in daytime, and down to 75 at night, with a light blanket.

Winter, heat at 72-74 days, and 68-70 at night, with a comforter.

The thermostat is in the central (living) room, with air vents in all rooms. Whether we have the interior doors closed or open affects how the flow from the outer rooms affects the thermostat.

We adjust the air vents near closed in the outer rooms during A/C season, otherwise we all freeze.

In Winter, the vents are opened , and adjusted to regulate the heat flow for each room. The more open, the quicker the Heat shuts off, and the lower we can run the thermostat.

The unit capacity is quite large, it's a Trane combined NG Hot Air Heat-A/C unit.

Most of the neighbors use Swamp (evaporative) Coolers; which get less and less effective as ambient humidity rises. We're nearing the end of monsoon (including flash floods) season, and they're starting to return from whatever refuges they go to in July and August.

Today, we will see 100; Tucson will see 108-110. Christmas last, we had a dusting of Snow.

Greg

PS Update, 3PM patio concrete 142F, patio tabletop 165F. Time for us old folk to stay indoors in the A/C; what the local news station KGUN terms an "Action Day".

4:30pm 104F.

Last edited:
Isn't is also 'better' for the AC unit and more efficient the less the unit has to start up? Meaning, it's better to have it run for a long period of time than start up, run, shut down, start up, run shut down? This is the theory behind two stage? It can continue to run at a lower output avoiding restart and actually keeping temps more consistent?

I've always been told that an undersize unit is better than an oversized unless the undersized is so undersize that it can never accomplish it's goal. And oversized units tend to freeze the coolant lines and actually end up not working at all.
Its less about start power, more at keeping it running to dehum. Also easier and cheaper to reduce power and maintain temp rather than cycle.

Too small too big each cause their own problems. You want balance.

What brand? If it’s gonna die 90% it happens in the heat when working the hardest.

I'm pretty sure it's a Carrier. Honestly don't feel like walking out back to see.

The new fan motor is so much quieter, but the old blades are still in use.
Whenever it's dead, the new unit will be quiet enough we don't notice it sitting out there.

The forecast temp was 114 here in Phoenix today. The street temp was 120ish or so I was told, I was in an attic all day installing an air conditioner and the attic was well over 130.

I don’t really pay as much attention to how hot it gets as I used to. Had a conversation that changed my thinking on such things with my cousin once that went something like this.

I bitched about the 111 temp that day.

He replied I know what you mean as it was something like 120 where he was at. At the time he was on one of his four deployments to Afghanistan with the 2/75 Rangers, (later followed by two to Iraq).

I thought about my comment for about a second and told him I would not bitch about high temps ever again. I had working A/C, did not have to lug a heavy pack and a SAW up and down mountains, had not been shot at or worry about being blown up and could pretty much go do whatever I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Perspective.

I don’t like high temps I just try not to bitch about them anymore.

On a related note. Got a call from my wife when the house A/C went down last Friday afternoon. It was about 105 at the time. She had no such reservations about letting me know it was too damn hot. It was not fun for the family but got things fixed and cooled back down by midnight Sat. I was just damn glad I did not have to drop $5k for a new one.

I don’t bitch about the heat because 110* F is a hell of a lot better than -10* F. I’m from the north originally & while I have no issues dealing w/ cold weather, I prefer to be warm.

I’ve got a pic somewhere of me coming in the house (c. 2014) & my wife is laughing at me (& taking a picture) because I had two inch long icicles hanging from my eyebrows. No joke.

Last edited:
I don’t bitch about the heat because 110* F is a hell of a lot better than -10* F. I’m from the north originally & while I have no issues dealing w/ cold weather, I prefer to be warm.

I’ve got a pic somewhere of me coming in the house (c. 2014) & my wife is laughing at me & (taking a picture) because I had two inch long icicles hanging from my eyebrows. No joke.
I agree. I hate frozen snotcicles.

We do not have A/C here in Jersey. It has not gotten hot enough yet.

On the other hand the wife said when we go to sell the house next year & move to a free state we will have to have PSE&G install a A/C unit. The duct work is already there as we have forced hot air for heat.

I don't think we have even broke 110 this year. 105 is pretty warm, 120 is fucking hot.

It was 102 yesterday, around 4pm it started raining from a little cloud that just hung over us for about hour. It was weird because out all the windows all I could see was blue skies. Its supposed to only be about 80 today. I need to pick some tomatoes, but I want them to dry out and make some flavor first.