• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Its is HOT!!

It got up into the eighties here last week. Kinda high for around here. At least the humidity was down around 40% ?

Although....we'll have to wait and see if we get another 300+" snowfall.:eek:

It was a touch warm in Kansas yesterday. Humidity has been killer as we has a really wet spring. Heat index was 110 plus the last two days. Being in the HVAC business has kept me hopping this summer. My 2 stage water source heat pump keeps my house at 70-73 degrees pretty cheap. I don't miss being on rooftops in this weather for sure.

Attachments

• 8-21-19 051.jpg
    8-21-19 051.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: FS1
Ground source or are you on a pond/lake?

I did a closed ground loop. Had a conventional air to air split system and had a $350 electric bill the first summer after we moved in. Bills are less than half that max now. The pump and dump is the most efficient, but I live in town and have nowhere to dump it, only 1-1/2 acres.

Reactions: Dirty D
20190821_101141.jpg

Ok, so it's hot....
Cooler, check.
Water, check.
Gatorade, check.
Dr. Pepper, check.
Ice, check.
Lawn chair, check.
Shooting table, check.
Shooting stool, check.
375, check.
Ammo, check.
Rear bag, check.
Electronic Ear, check.
Rattlesnake, check.
20190720_113706.jpg

Heat. No problem. Fun time...

I will take the heat over snow any day.
Not that I'm fond of cold or snow, but I'd take the cold over heat any day. I can warm up with snow and cold. In the heat, I can't cool off and it feels like it's going to kill me. I grew up in Nevada and loved the heat...Until I spent four years stationed in Hunter Army Airfield. I got a new lesson at that time that heat wasn't really heat until humidity was added.

Added:
Only when it comes to extremes I should say. There's a point in time, hot or cold, you just want to go inside.

Last edited:
View attachment 7134098

Ok, so it's hot....
Cooler, check.
Water, check.
Gatorade, check.
Dr. Pepper, check.
Ice, check.
Lawn chair, check.
Shooting table, check.
Shooting stool, check.
375, check.
Ammo, check.
Rear bag, check.
Electronic Ear, check.
Rattlesnake, check.
View attachment 7134099

Heat. No problem. Fun time...
What kind of rattlesnake is that? By the color of his eye, he looks like he's about to shed.

Added: I haven't seen many of them, but he looks like a Timber rattlesnake That species is common to the upper Mississippi. Didn't see but a few when I was there in SE Minnesota. Never saw one when I was in GA.

Last edited:
We have a bunch of Timber Rattlesnakes in NorBama
View attachment 7134127
View attachment 7134129
He forgot to brush his teeth this morning...

That's a nice pic BTW. I had an uncle whom I dearly loved, but for the life of me, I couldn't seem to explain the difference in the sizes of snakes down south to the ones in Nevada. I never picked up a rattlesnake in Nevada or Montana that had fangs that long.

How well do those electronic earmuffs pick up the rattle?

Very very very well.
This one never rattled. He was under the porch. I sat the small generator on the porch and ran it. The vibration alerted him and made him come out. He was extremely curious, not agitated at all. He kept extending about a foot up on the porch flicking his tongue rapidly, more than usual and I wondered about his abnormal behavior. The eyes, (didnt catch that b4 u pointed it out) I agree, about to shed and he was trying hard to figure out what's that vibration. I'd been on and off the porch for a couple hours, no visitor, until I turned on the generator. 4th visitor in 10 days.

Relocated him about a mile north.

Last edited:
I was working on a A/C unit today and the temp was 102. I decided to knock on the door and when it opened I stepped into the seventh level of Hell.
With heat index it was 109 according to the phone app.

I used to work with a guy that had some great Southern colloquialisms like, "It's hotter than a two-dick billy goat". I wish I could remember the others.

The weather here in NE KS has sucked all year it seems. A few months ago we had a mile wide f-4 tornado go just a few miles north of the house, we had a 500 year flood event just a few weeks ago and when it isn’t raining and flooding it’s hotter then ?and the dew points have been in the 60-70% range so the humidity sucks to. I’m getting to old to keep working outside in this crap!

Reactions: 260284
I did a closed ground loop. Had a conventional air to air split system and had a $350 electric bill the first summer after we moved in. Bills are less than half that max now. The pump and dump is the most efficient, but I live in town and have nowhere to dump it, only 1-1/2 acres.
I’ll be getting my IGSHPA driller/installer certification next spring.

Reactions: 260284
Tarmac schmarmac, spend 10 hours in a cramped attic installing a new air conditioner. I drink 2+ gallons of Gatorade and water each day and sweat out 90-95% of it.
That’s a nasty day no matter how you look at it. That’s why people should be told to stick it when they want that stuff done in the summer. ...I said on the inside?

Reactions: TACC and FS1
Night shift. In the past we would do attic installs early in the morning. Start around 4am and get out by 10am.
Tarmac schmarmac, spend 10 hours in a cramped attic installing a new air conditioner. I drink 2+ gallons of Gatorade and water each day and sweat out 90-95% of it.

That is why I got out of the residential business and into the commercial/industrial side almost 30 years ago. Very few attics and crawl spaces. I do a little residential on the side, but no crawl spaces or attics. I have spent a lot of time on roofs when it is over 100 without the heat index, and a hot boiler room or a refinery in nomex in the summer sucks too.

Reactions: Dirty D
I know that bitch you got tied to the radiator up there is hot too!

• Haha
Reactions: Alabusa
And real old inefficient A/C units. At minimum replace them with a two speed. As an A/C Contractor Heat is my friend. :)
I just changed my older 2 speed trane out with the newer variable speed. Definitely the way to go!

Which reminds me....have you ever had someone who has to stand in the door to talk to you? Either letting the heat out when it's cold or the cold out when it's hot!
I don't mind talking in here or out there, BUT STOP STANDING IN MY OPEN DOOR!!:mad::mad:

Reactions: Alabusa
Today's forecast estimates a high of 92 (which will be closer to 100+ with the humidity). Plus there's a tropical storm brewing that might well turn into the first hurricane of the season. All in all fairly normal weather.

My Wife has mobility issues, and uses a wheeled walker. About a year ago, she was in PHX with Granddaughter Elena, who was attending a concert. As usual; I'm stuck at home alone, caring for the half dozen animals.

She was stowing the wheelie in the side door of the van, turned to walk over to the driver's door, and got snagged, falling down onto the parking lot asphalt pavement. The temp at the time was 114F.

She landed on the pavement with bare legs and it was so hot she couldn't put her hands down to get back up. She was stuck there until a passerby found her and helped her into the hotel. Second and third(?) degree burns.

Skip to end of story.

Three skin transplants and about nine months of wound care, and she's discharged from care at Banner UMC in Tucson, early Spring this year.

So you wanna know hot?

That's hot.

Greg

My Wife has mobility issues, and uses a wheeled walker. About a year ago, she was in PHX with Granddaughter Elena, who was attending a concert. As usual; I'm stuck at home alone, caring for the half dozen animals.

She was stowing the wheelie in the side door of the van, turned to walk over to the driver's door, and got snagged, falling down onto the parking lot asphalt pavement. The temp at the time was 114F.

She landed on the pavement with bare legs and it was so hot she couldn't put her hands down to get back up. She was stuck there until a passerby found her and helped her into the hotel. Second and third(?) degree burns.

Skip to end of story.

Three skin transplants and about nine months of wound care, and she's discharged from care at Banner UMC in Tucson, early Spring this year.

So you wanna know hot?

That's hot.

Greg

Damn Greg that's terrible.
I pray she makes a quicker recovery since your unsupervised now.
All joking aside best wishes for your misses.

Reactions: TACC
XLR308; thanks for the kind words. She's as healed as she's gonna get, and actually, pretty much as good as before.

First, tremendous thanks to the folks at Banner UMC; she got cutting edge care and even a year earlier, she wouldn't have gotten near as good.

Her main issues are older and deeper. I wish I could take on her troubles, but I can't; so I do whatever I can to make as much of her life better, easier as I can. It's frustrating as Hell, but she's a tough chickie, and my main source of support, each for the other. Next year, we'll be married 50. I would not be here without her. I'm definitely supervised, and that's a good thing.

We make do; and life's good.

Greg

Last edited:
Not to brag it gets a little “cool” around here but this is how hot it can get here.

The snow berm you see behind me is just over 6 ft. I’m 5’8”. The coldest we got that year is -11 on Dec. 31st and -11 on Jan. 3rd.
E36A3B67-D100-49B5-85FC-9C7EF722384E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR308
Normal day here, doesn't make it any easier though, tropical storm Dorian on it's way, maybe things will cool down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190827-152915_WeatherBug.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-152915_WeatherBug.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 12
We're melting up here in the PNW. Even passed two Trucks mopping up a roadside fire on the way in. That's not good. This place is ready to burn.
20190827_151204.jpg

We're melting up here in the PNW. Even passed two Trucks mopping up a roadside fire on the way in. That's not good. This place is ready to burn.View attachment 7138009
That’s hot as shit! for up there. Hope you get good rains to keep the fire danger down.

That’s one thing I get really uneasy about when I see all the vegetation in the South, and up here in da UP. It'd be a total tinderbox with one really dry year.

Reactions: 1J04
Fire Season and Monsoon Season here are a little bit tangled up right now. We've had a couple of smaller fires recently, but we're also still getting some rain storms, including flash floods.

Heat here was 104F yesterday, clear and dry.

Calling for 95F today, and at 8:30AM, we have thunder growling, and dark.

We get dry and wet thunder, and the dry thunder starts most of the fires. It's grey all along the Southern and Southeastern horizon. Just let the dogs out back, and the patio's wet(?)

Family's driving up to PHX today for the Blackhearts/Joan Jett Tour; won't get back until after midnight. Lotta storms along the way, both ways, but they're all ready to go.

I'll be at home with the two dogs and four cats.

Greg

ETA 8/29 The clouds moved in by Noon, and the thunder and lightning had started in mid-morning. By dark, we had lightning running nearly constant, but very little actual rain. Had several brief power outages.

Family home at Midnight, loved the concert, but went home when they got some rain coming in on them around the upper edges of the amphitheater.

Last edited: