• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I've gotta show off this holster!!

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I was contemplating ordering an exotic leather custom holster for my daily carry gun, but damn the cost and the wait time....I put upon myself to make one instead. Cost was minimal, $25 for some scrap ostrich hide, and about $5 in cowhide. Plus 4 pints of blood from bleeding fingers since I hand stiched it.....and I don't think it turned out half bad!
    Super comfortable to wear too. Anyways, just thought I'd show this baby off.....because my wife just gave me the "meh" look! :)
    null-2164.jpg

null-1312.jpg

I think it looks great. As long as it fits comfortably and is functional, that's all that counts. The fact you made this yourself is high on my cool meter! I waited a couple of months for my crossbreed holster, but if I had the tallent, tools, and materical I may have taken your route. Nicely done.

I think it looks great. As long as it fits comfortably and is functional, that's all that counts. The fact you made this yourself is high on my cool meter! I waited a couple of months for my crossbreed holster, but if I had the tallent, tools, and materical I may have taken your route. Nicely done.

Thanks!
    Man, if I can make a holster, anybody can. It just takes planning and patience.

For truly handmade, I think it looks great (is that a back-handed compliment?). I suspect most "custom" holsters would look similar if the maker had only the tools you used.

For truly handmade, I think it looks great (is that a back-handed compliment?). I suspect most "custom" holsters would look similar if the maker had only the tools you used.
    Yeah Eddie,
    It's not perfect by no means. But like you said, I only have a few minimal tools, so the fit and finish the high end holsters have I can't completely reproduce....but I can look at it and say "I made that,"
    And that means a lot to me.

" Gun Digest Book of HOLSTERS and other Gun Leather" by Roger Combs_
    ISBN -0-910676-55-0
    Library of Congress Cat.Card# 83-70139_
    old, but VERY informative...

Man, that's a good looking holster. I've got the "want to" but I don't know if it will ever happen. How many man hours does it take to make something like that?

Man, that's a good looking holster. I've got the "want to" but I don't know if it will ever happen. How many man hours does it take to make something like that?

It's not as hard as you're thinking. I made the holster in a day working off an on on it.....probably 6 actual hours of work...I'm guessing.

Very cool. It's always better when you can say you did t with your own hands and the sweat off your brow. Very nice looking as well. I hope it lasts you a lifetime and maybe you can pass it on to a family member one day. My hats off to you.

I think your holster turned out great. I have made quite a few knife sheaths, some magazine pouches, and about 10 holsters. I laminated some python hide onto horsehide, and like your ostrich, it turned out really neat. I would like to try using some fancy leathers like shark skin or sting ray hide, but will have to wait until I can get to the leather store that sells that stuff.

It would be a lot cooler if you killed the ostrich with your bare hands...still pretty cool though.

Great! Something that YOU made with YOUR own hands. You can take great pride in it. More people need to try the DIY way of things.