• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Jet stoves which one?

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
I've been seeing these made on YouTube out of all types of cans....soda, monster...
The look pretty cool, and are small enough for a shirt pocket. There are so many generations I can't find
Which one has been proved the best design. I'd like to make one for trout season. Keep in my fishing vest have a warm lunch
On the stream... Which have you guys found work best?...

I have an MSR Pocket Rocket that has provided many a warm lunch streamside or mountaintop for quite a few years. With a stainless cup to fit the bottom of a nalgene bottle, folding foot kit and a spoon you can get by quite comfortably. I know it's bigger than what your looking at when you figure in the fuel canister but it's a quality piece of gear that will do exactly what you want.

Reactions: Seed tick
+1 on the pocket rocket. It's super light and requires NO maintainance.

Go to backpackinglight.com, under community is the forum, there is a myog section. Myog stands for make your own gear. There are a ton of stoves like that on there. Also look for caldera cones, its a cone shaped windscreen that really increases the efficiency. Good luck.

Ive made several Alcohol stoves and they work great. Also cheap to make and fuel.

I've been seeing these made on YouTube out of all types of cans....soda, monster...
The look pretty cool, and are small enough for a shirt pocket. There are so many generations I can't find
Which one has been proved the best design. I'd like to make one for trout season. Keep in my fishing vest have a warm lunch
On the stream... Which have you guys found work best?...

My dad makes the penny stoves all the time and teaches my boys how to all so. It take about 2.5 to 3 minutes to boil 1 cup of water with one. Very light and handy. Pretty sure all he uses is the liquid de-icing fluid HEAT. Like 1oz.

Cheers,

Nutt

I've made a few soda can stoves. Very simple.

I'm still partial to to the military Swedish Trangia or Svea. Maybe not so pocket friendly but the o-ring seal means you can carry it with some fuel in it, possibly eliminating the fuel bottle.

The VARGO Titanium Triad is a small, lite, simple, neat stove.

Last edited:
I like the Jetboil system. Been using them for a few years and they are great, self contained and fairly compact. Have used them backpacking, alpine climbing and hanging off rock walls. The only complaint I have is the built in piezo ignitor doesn't always work when it gets real cold. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but I think they work great.

http://www.jetboil.com/

Jetboil is a pretty solid system. Agree on the piezo, I think most of them fail in cold weather, it seems a fair bit of the other manufacturers do as well.

Good luck.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

Like the pocket rocket/jet boil - are small & handy all-around good .
-
for 2-3 day backpack-packing light .
Whats everyone else choice on good light-weight, easy packing . ' To complement ', your Pocket Rocket/jet boil . For (cook Wind screen) & (easy pack/practical Mess kit )

Last edited:
Esbit. Solid fuel, no cans or bottles of fuel. For what you described, a pocket stove for a warm lunch, that would be my suggestion. I've owned MSR'S XKG, Whisperlite, Pocket Rocket, Jetboil cook system, Brunton jet stoves, Esbit, soda and cat food can alcohol stoves, and used many a time Svea stoves. I've sold everything but the Pocket Rockets, Esbit and alcohol stoves. The pocket rocket is my go to stove for light weight backpacking, kayaking and low impact car camping. The Esbit and alcohol stoves are great for ultra light weekend packing....As said, the Esbit would be great for a stream side lunch. The fuel tablets store inside the stove when it's folded up, and it's about 3/4" thick. Just my 2 cents.

Good point - Esbit tabs are just great to have around. I don't prefer them for cooking, but have a few tabs scattered around in vehicles and bags.

I got an MSR Whisperlite Universal yesterday. I have only rigged it for white gas and confirmed that it works with my XGK pump. Nice unit. I intend to look at boil times with white gas, canister, and vs the XGK. I think the XGK will stay in the rig and the Universal will be what I walk with.

Update:

1 liter cold tap water / 2 qt AL pot - no lid / Coleman Camp Fuel / 74 degrees / light wind / no screen.

Boil times:

Whisperlite Universal 4:00 minutes / XGK 2:40 minutes.

Whisperlite Universal on Canister Gas:

1 liter cold tap water / 2 qt AL pot - no lid / MSR Canister Gas / 56 degrees / light wind, rain / no screen.

Boil time: 4:00 minutes

Simmer control is unprecedented as compared to the XGK.

Last edited:
MSR Whisperlite multi fuel is my favourite by far, I use unleaded petrol. I also have a pocket rocket which is great for short trips.

Esbit. Solid fuel, no cans or bottles of fuel. For what you described, a pocket stove for a warm lunch, that would be my suggestion. I've owned MSR'S XKG, Whisperlite, Pocket Rocket, Jetboil cook system, Brunton jet stoves, Esbit, soda and cat food can alcohol stoves, and used many a time Svea stoves. I've sold everything but the Pocket Rockets, Esbit and alcohol stoves. The pocket rocket is my go to stove for light weight backpacking, kayaking and low impact car camping. The Esbit and alcohol stoves are great for ultra light weekend packing....As said, the Esbit would be great for a stream side lunch. The fuel tablets store inside the stove when it's folded up, and it's about 3/4" thick. Just my 2 cents.

everything is a compromise and as above, I have every type stove(white gas, jet boil, other canister, alcohol ), but have ended up using fuel tablets in all seasons, for thousands of miles during the last decade - I now use the coglan tablets, 1/3 the price of esbit

I have a MSR that has been very loyal and reliable for over years. I have jumped on the Solo Stove band wagon and cannot be happier. You can store cooking gear in it so the size really isn't a hindrance: The Best Selling Wood Burning Camp Stove | Solo Stove Titan

Survival gear review: The Solo Stove Titan biomass stove - YouTube

I also have drunk the Solo Stove Koolaid. I do not see the need to carry the fuel for the stove unless you will be going above the treeline regularly.

Bought a JetBoil for camping and it is in either my BOB or 48hr bag. I have yet to use it but hope to test it out here soon. I will def be using it on my camping trip to Joshua Tree in December. I am sure I will use it before then too.

-
Hey these are GREAT.
I bought 3 of them a year or so ago off Amazon . Cant remember the sales outlet .But they all work PERFECT . No Complaints at all . I think I paid around 7-$ each plus shipping and a 2 week wait shipping out of hong Kong . They have sold these for at least couple+ years now .
Close Knock-off Copy of another brand mini-stove ( think?. pocket rocket) that are subcontracted manufactured in Korea & then made and shipping out of hong Kong .

Last edited:
I use an MSR reactor stove. I boils 1 cup of water in about 90 seconds and 2 cups in about 2.5 minutes - with a relatively new cylinder. I like that it is a self-contained unit and is easy to pack. Unlike most isobutane stoves - it seems to work well at altitude and in colder weather.

I have owned and used Coleman dual fuel stoves, Snow Peak stoves, alcohol stoves, Esbit stoves, etc. I have a JetBoil now and got rid of the rest. Just my experience and opinion.

Reactions: Soulezoo
What are y’all eating?

If I’m cooking I use gasoline and msr either whisper light or dragonfly (simmer ).

If it’s fresh it’s probably cooked on a fire.

If I’m ultra light it’s not getting cooked.

What are y’all eating?

This is my go-to menu for camping/hunting. Everything does just fine with little to no refrigeration

buttery-homestyle-packaging-129x200.png
premium-polish-kielbasa-sausage.png
3000001200.jpg
1516910009581.jpg
transform~rs_w.256
81rEhxBOykL._SY679_.jpg
TETLEY-BRITISH-REG-80CT-PDP_1.png
easyhard-boiledeggs-3.jpg
220px-Baguettes_-_stonesoup.jpg
jarlsberg-cheese-300x255.jpg
molinari_1280x1280.jpg

+1 for the MSR. It’s just a little more user friendly and stable than the Jetboil although both are great.

I recently bought an MSR Pocket Rocket 2, and I like it. It’s small, and really gets going. Reminds me of a forge burner when it’s got the throttle opened up. Neat little box it came with too.

This is my first ultralight stove, I’ve had a Coleman Dual Fuel stove for probably 10 years or so, but that ain’t very light. If this thing shits the bed I’ll mention it.

IMG_20190527_101925892.jpg

Are you guys aware of the Siege Stove adapters? Easily make a Hobo stove out of just about any tin can, or as pictured, stainless steel utensil containers/dryers found at IKEA. IKEA offers two sizes, that work well with the Siege Stove setup, with the taller one that has enough room to store a 1000ml Nalgen water bottle, and the flats of the Siege Stove.

The Siege Stove can be ordered made out of either Stainless Steel or Titanium. The sharp points on the base parts can be used to punch ventilation holes in tin cans.

Pros and cons to every type of stove, but the Siege Stove is perfect for a long term backpacking trip or survival situation where traditional camp stove fuel is unobtainable.

Wasn't familiar with the Pocket Rocket so I just googled it. One of the first ones up was the "Doc Johnson Pocket Rocket" on Amazon. My wife is kinda interested in that one!!

I use the Pocket Rocket, cooks what needs to be cooked in a small package ?‍♂️

Pocket rocket unless I’m packing ultra light then it’s cat can

The MSR Pocket Rocket stove is good if you're in a sheltered location, but those type of stoves suck if it's breezy. I see MSR now makes a system similar to the JetBoil and they are great when you're out in the wind. Those built-in wind screens are so much better than trying to get a piece of tin foil to stand up in just the right spot to block the wind.

A few years back I tested for myself a well made alcohol Super Cat stove, Esbit stove, Snow Peak GigaPower, and Jetboil MiniMo.

Super Cat stove - wins the weight contest, but is easy to tip over/spill fuel, the fuel can leak and evaporate without you even realizing it, needs a separate wind screen, takes a very long time to heat water to boiling, in the daylight it's difficult to see the flame and can blow out from a breeze and you don't even realize it until your water isn't getting hot - overall it's just "fiddly". Good if you're hiking something like the AT, where you can use it in a tent or shelter every night, are trying to cut every spare ounce, and don't need to rely on it super heavily to get to the next checkpoint.

Esbit stove - the fuel tablets smell like fish and permeates through your whole backpack. Takes a very long time to boil water. They leave greasy soot on the bottom of the pot which then gets all over your gear unless you carry a rag to clean it off. If it's cold/windy you need at least two fuel tablets to get one small pot of water boiled. The flame blows out easily. I like the the folding pot stand. It's a clever little gadget, but I would not want one if I was in the middle of the backcountry. Good for an afternoon fishing trip to make a hot drink.

Snow Peak GigaPower - Good compromise of weight and fast boiling times. I used this stove during a 15 month deployment to Aghanistan. Heats up fast, and easy to use. The components don't "nest" very easily and rattle around in your bag. If it's breezy the efficiency drops and takes longer to heat things up. Needs a windscreen if you're just using it out in the woods. Would recommend this for ounce counters who still need a reliable, fast way to boil water/cook meals.

JetBoil MiniMo - by far my favorite system, so this will sound biased because I am. Not noticeably heavier than the Snow Peak style system. All the components "nest" perfectly so there is no rattling around. Built in windscreen works very well, and you end up using less fuel because of the increased efficiency. No fuel to spill. The canisters last a very long time. Built-in igniter so no fussing with matches/lighters. Heats up very fast. I can just throw the entire system in my bag and know it's ready to go. Not the ultralight option, but having boiling water from start to finish in less than 3 minutes is awesome.

Last edited: