• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just bought a second safe

RetardedTiming

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
San Diego CA
...and holy crap this bitch is heavy for it's size! It is an AMSEC BF6030. It's the same size as my current Patriot safe, but I swear the thing is twice as heavy. AMSEC is 26x30x60 and the Patriot is 18x26x58. But my Patriot has a 2hr 1880 degree fire rating. The Amsec's fire rating is 1275 for 90 minutes. Thought that was strange. I would have thought the heavier safe would have a better fire rating. Got a good deal on it otherwise I would have bought another Patriot. It's ugly as sin on the outside (textured sandstone), that's probably why I got a good deal. Haha.

I'm thinking I'll put the ammo in the lighter safe to make it heavier, and put the firearms in the heavier safe since it's not going to easily walk out of here. Either way I feel much better now that my ammo and firearms are separated. Not to mention more room for more toys!
smile.gif

Re: Just bought a second safe

Shit, my chicom Browning is only 45 min @ 1200. Sounds like you have some nice safes.

When I bought the first one, fire rating was my main criteria. I think the AMSEC is a better build quality, but I wonder why they don't seem to have a 2hr fire rating at 1880 degrees. I like the electronic lock on the Patriot better. The finish is better on the Patriot. I wonder which warranty and customer service is better? Might have to look that up...

Never let weight be your biggest theft deterrent. I had a buddy who's 3500lb safe walked away while there were on vacation. He never thought someone would get that out of the garage, so he didn't even bother bolting it to the slab.

I know of 2 that weight over a ton empty, that were full of guns, that got up and walked out of the house. Nobody seen nothing.

I "strategically" placed motorcycles, boxes of crap, baby toys and a mountain of clutter in my garage as a detterant. I figure by the time they remove all that crap from my garage to get to the one safe that is in there, someone may have noticed.

Heck, people may show up thinking it is a gargage sale.

I have three safes. The Tredlock was my first. I didn't do my home work so it is not fire rated. Number two was a Liberty with electronic lock. I love the safe but the S&G E lock is a POS. It has crapped out twice. First time Liberty paid the bill to fix it. The last time was on me and it was over $250. The third is a Browning Pro Steel. Fire rated but I can't remember how long.
Two hours @ 1880 is very good numbers for fire rating. I am sure none of mine are that good.

Why did you have to pay to fix the lock? I thought Liberty had a Life time warranty on their products?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have three safes. The Tredlock was my first. I didn't do my home work so it is not fire rated. Number two was a Liberty with electronic lock. I love the safe but the S&G E lock is a POS. It has crapped out twice. First time Liberty paid the bill to fix it. The last time was on me and it was over $250. The third is a Browning Pro Steel. Fire rated but I can't remember how long.
Two hours @ 1880 is very good numbers for fire rating. I am sure none of mine are that good. </div></div>

I own an AMSEC and it has preformed well. It hasn't walked away yet. I would agree with the others that the extra 30 minutes bolting the safe down is worth it. I wouldn't underestimate a burglar's determination if he really wants something.

No, they don't. They told me five years. I was just under the five years the first time and they would not even talk to me when it failed again 3 years later.
The locks are made by S&G and not covered for life. S&G apparently has no warranty at all. The locksmith said they saw the S&G E lock fail more than any other one out there.

Yeah, they both have bolt holes but I am currently renting unfortunately. Although now that I think of it...what would hurt more? Not getting the deposit back, or having my collection stolen. Uh, yeah...going to grab the hammer drill now. Guess I didn't really think that one through.

I guess I was more relying on my pit bull/great dane mix to deter the average thief from even trying.

I've never bolted mine down. Didn't think I needed to as they are really heavy and even heavier with all my guns in there.
I am sure that someone could get it out of my house though. Funny how some folks will work harder at stealing your stuff than they would at a normal job.

Before you guys start getting all hot and bothered about the fire ratings you need to check how the UL came up with that number. A knowledgeable locksmith told me a lot of those numbers are badly inflated because the UL starts the clock when the burners are lit... not once the chamber reaches the rated temp.

Just something to think about when shopping for a safe. And you guys are really scaring me with the heavy safes being stolen. I'm in a situation where I can't bolt my Graffunder down until I buy a house... Scary.

If you're worried about fire rating. Just get some sheetrock and and put a few more layers in there. That is all that most companies line their safes with anyway.

I had an S&G lock go bad on a Liberty safe. It was only a month old and I had a hard time getting anything done about it. I ended up having to cut the back of the safe out to get my guns. Sad really, because 15 minutes with a die grinder and I was in. I did get a new safe out of the deal but I don't think that Liberty ever made it completely right with the John Deere dealer that I bought it from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retarded Timing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and holy crap this bitch is heavy for it's size! It is an AMSEC BF6030. It's the same size as my current Patriot safe, but I swear the thing is twice as heavy. AMSEC is 26x30x60 and the Patriot is 18x26x58. But my Patriot has a 2hr 1880 degree fire rating. The Amsec's fire rating is 1275 for 90 minutes. Thought that was strange. I would have thought the heavier safe would have a better fire rating. Got a good deal on it otherwise I would have bought another Patriot. It's ugly as sin on the outside (textured sandstone), that's probably why I got a good deal. Haha.

I'm thinking I'll put the ammo in the lighter safe to make it heavier, and put the firearms in the heavier safe since it's not going to easily walk out of here. Either way I feel much better now that my ammo and firearms are separated. Not to mention more room for more toys!
smile.gif
</div></div>Simple... if it's too heavy, you need to give some of your guns away to the needy. I'll PM you my address.
smile.gif

The back is usually the weakest part. If it's not bolted down you just flip it over on the face and cut out the back. The poster above me just confirmed that.

No need to take the safe, just the contents.

I guess what it comes down to is making sure your shit is insured for replacement value. If they are determined to get your goods, there is probably not a lot you can do to totally prevent it. Hasn't anyone seen Ocean's Eleven?
laugh.gif

I have piece of mind now that my stuff is separated and the kids aren't going to be playing around with ammo that isn't locked up...that's good enough for me.

some good tips here. looking at getting a second safe also. what about not having your safe in the garage. tips about securing it?

For me personally, I have no problem drilling holes in the garage floor. But drilling holes through expensive carpet or hardwood flooring is another story. Make sure where ever you decide to put it, is where it will stay for the remainder. That being said, I wouldn't put my safes in the garage.

WOW, aint that some bull sh*t!!!
I have a Liberty Franklin with the Keypad lock.. Now you have me worried
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, they don't. They told me five years. I was just under the five years the first time and they would not even talk to me when it failed again 3 years later.
The locks are made by S&G and not covered for life. S&G apparently has no warranty at all. The locksmith said they saw the S&G E lock fail more than any other one out there. </div></div>

My safe was purchased with the dial and Upgraded to the E lock but it was purchased with the safe from an authorized Liberty dealer. The locksmith suggested replacing with a different brand (very expensive) or just putting my dial back on "the next time the E lock breaks".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you have to pay to fix the lock? I thought Liberty had a Life time warranty on their products?</div></div>

You need to read the fine print. For example, with Champion Safe the safe itself and the mechanical S&G lock have a lifetime warranty. If you buy one with a electronic S&G the lock is only under warranty for 2 years.

There is VERY good reason why the electronic lock only comes with a 2 year warranty folks, think about it! Yes the electronic is great for getting into the safe very fast, but I would rather get into the safe slow, but EVERY single time!

The biggest concern in a garage for me would be the proximity to tools. A person could back a truck in, close the door, and have all day with my tools to gain entry.

Another concern is moisture. If your garage is not climate controlled you will need a good dehumidification system.

I kept both my safes in the garage, bolted down, in my ghetto house. Covered em with a moving blnket so the random eye didnt see em. Both had a can of Damp-Rid in em. Never had a moisture issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest concern in a garage for me would be the proximity to tools. A person could back a truck in, close the door, and have all day with my tools to gain entry. </div></div>

This is why my home has a alarm system including motion sensors in the garage. I have more valuables in my garage than the rest of my house combined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest concern in a garage for me would be the proximity to tools. A person could back a truck in, close the door, and have all day with my tools to gain entry. </div></div>

Mine too. Although my air line would reach the room where the safe is located.

MY friend has his in the garage. I have new warnings for him too lol. It would be really easy to get at. He said hes not worried he has insurance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scsbronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MY friend has his in the garage. I have new warnings for him too lol. It would be really easy to get at. He said hes not worried he has insurance. </div></div>

Insurance or not that isn't a wise idea. Gives easy access to any intruder and how would it feel to get shot with your own gun? And if they're just some punks and steal your shit and go you're effed too. Don't report em stolen = felony. DO report em stolen = you'll never legally buy another firearm until they're recovered, which they won't be. At least that's how it is here.

It is more about the position you bolt the safe to, than just bolting it down. If at all possible, you want to position the safe in a cubbyhole where a perp cannot jam a pry bar bar into the gap between the door and frame. If you bolt the thing to the floor, against the wall, on the doorknob side vs. The hinge side (make sense?) you take away the ability for perp to pry. There are some good YouTube videos of manufacturers breaking into each others safes.
My stuff is in a Fort Knoxx. My next safe will be a Graffunder. Google the name. For as much as some of the scopes cost on this site, I would think people wouldn't want to skimp on safes.

I have been researching safes lately. I would have to agree on bolting them down though. There is entire too much money in those safes to not bolt them down, even if it is a heavy mother!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scsbronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MY friend has his in the garage. I have new warnings for him too lol. It would be really easy to get at. He said hes not worried he has insurance. </div></div>

Insurance or not that isn't a wise idea. Gives easy access to any intruder and how would it feel to get shot with your own gun? And if they're just some punks and steal your shit and go you're effed too. Don't report em stolen = felony. DO report em stolen = you'll never legally buy another firearm until they're recovered, which they won't be. At least that's how it is here. </div></div>

The harsh reality of life. Also something that I would be thinking about in the garage would be such variation in temperature and chances of flooding? Something I have been warned against.