• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just finished my first knife

veezer

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
Hazard, Kentucky
I figured I would try my hand at knife making. After watching countless hours of YouTube, I ordered some O1 tool steel, brass pin stock and some micarta grips. I didn't have any fancy knife tools. I mainly used a grinder and hand files to do all the work. I made a filing jig courtesy of Gough customs video and had at it. I decided to parkerize the steel when I was finished to give the steel a durable finish that looked good.

y9age7y9.jpg

I bought a small belt grinder about half way through and found that it is a real good way of screwing things up. I think I will stick to files for the final finish next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished my first knife

Kudos brother, thats pretty bad ass if you ask me. Nice size and looks great. You should be proud of that!

How much time and money of you have into that? I'd love to try one myself.

Last edited:
Looks good. What did you do about a heat treatment to harden the steel?

I built a small forge using insulating bricks and a propane torch. You can find it on YouTube if you look up micro forge or search for Gough custom and then look for his video on how he built a similar forge. After heating to a non magnetic state, I plunged it in peanut oil and then put it in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. According to the paperwork that came with the steel, that should have hardened it close to 60 Rockwell.

As for costs: The steel was about $25 for a 16" long piece of 3/16" x 1.5" O1 steel from McMaster Carr which is enough for a few more knives. I bought a few bolts for a couple of dollars and used plywood I had laying around for the filing jig. Bought a few files for around $30. The insulating bricks were around $35 shipped for 3. Sandpaper that I already had on hand. $6 for peanut oil. The grips were around $6 and the brass pins were around $3 for a 1' piece.

So there is a small investment to get started but you can use all those items multiple times.

It took me about a week to do it just working here and there. The longest time spent was grinding the initial shape with a crappy grinder and hand files and then filing the initial bevel took probably 1.5 hours. Mainly it took so long because I had to figure a lot of things as I went. Yesterday I spent about an hour grinding out 3 neck knife designs and about 4 hours filing the initial bevels in the blades and sanding them down to 220 grit. After that is finished it doesn't take long at all.

If you guys are interested, I will look up the YouTube videos that helped the most and post the links.

I just finished my first and started number 2. I am using 1095 steel. I am amazed at how good of an edge a homemade knife can take. I have got lucky twice now with my hardening and temper so Im going to keep doing what I'm doing!
You're knife looks great and it looks like it will be razor sharp too!!! Did you make the handles yourself or buy them? Keep making knives and keep posting pictures!

I bought micarta slabs and contoured them. I watched some videos on making your own micarta but that stuff is really cheap and I don't have to make a mess and fill my basement with resin fumes.

That looks awesome and would love to get into it. I know it takes a lot of time and energy. The investment looks low also. What will your next knife look like? What are you going to use the knife for?

Here are a couple I finished recently. The two outside have g10 and the middle one is linen micarta. The g10 is a little tricky to get the color layers to look perfect when you grind it and I figured out that if you peen the brass pins too much it will make little imperfections In the g10. You can see it a little in the picture around the pins. Basically these are neck knives made of 1/8" o1 steel.

As for my plans with them, I think I will keep practicing and use them as Christmas presents this year. I'm also going on an antelope and elk hunt this fall and plan to use them for that purpose and see how well they hold up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408105643.121740.jpg

Thanks for posting, looks good. One day I will try my hand at knife making once I have the space and a little more spare time.

Great links to those videos.

So far, I am just making them for myself until I get everything figured out. If u are interested in buying one let me know.

Tag............made a few always nice to see someone else starting

Finished up a knife for a friend today. He had the blade but never had any handles. He ordered up some g10 and I went to work on it. I wasn't sure if I would like the orange and black but turned out pretty cool looking. Also made a kydex sheath for him. Gut hook blades are a pain to make a kydex sheath for!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410836889.310801.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410836917.861788.jpg

Just about finished with my next knife. I intend it to be a bush/hunting knife. I used 3/16" O1 steel again and am undecided on what finish to put on the steel. What I have thought about is 1. Blasting and clear coating with duracoat. 2. Cerakote fde. 3. Hot vinegar patina.

Anyone have any other ideas/thoughts?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413071783.031123.jpg

looks good. Practice on the belt grinder. Its a huge time saver. Google Leethal Cutlery to see some of my knives. If you ever have questions or need help with something pm me. Im happy to help. You are def on the right track

Just finished my first a few days ago.. forged from 1/4x3 flat and walnut handle
3adf3a5065066ecb5256206a422ceae7.jpg

Since then, I made a few more...

These were some neck knives I made that have 1.5" blades and can be worn around the neck with a piece of paracord for around camp use or just an easy to hide knife.

This one was more of a bushcraft/hunting knife made from 3/16"

Made this one for my 8 year old nephew who is crazy about knives and is in the Boy Scouts

And made these. The small gut hook one is like the outdoor edge ones but smaller and works like a charm. I tested it on 4 deer and an elk and it was still sharp. The Schrade looking one was made for my Dad who loves this type of knife and I made this one so he would have one that would stay sharp and be more durable.

Thanks. Yep, did my own Kydex too. It is fairly easy to do it. All you need is a home made press, grommet tools, an oven and something to grind/cut away the excess.

any chance of seeing a pic of your press?

you are now a god in your nephews eye's, he will keep that knife forever. excellent skills you have there sir.

Last edited:
made a handful over the past few months...mostly out of files/rasps, but the black ones (cerakoted) were done with 1095...the piece of 1095 stock i got wasnt perfectly flat on both sides and it kept wanting to warp on me so that was a pain...idk if that was causing the warp or my quench process, but the files never gave me an issue...no expert tho, was just bored one day and decided to have at it

Attachments

• photo51952.jpg
    photo51952.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 48
  • photo51954.jpg
    photo51954.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 42
  • photo51953.jpg
    photo51953.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 41
  • photo51957.jpg
    photo51957.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 41
  • photo51956.jpg
    photo51956.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 44
  • photo51955.jpg
    photo51955.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 44
  • photo51958.jpg
    photo51958.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40
  • photo51959.jpg
    photo51959.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 46
  • photo51960.jpg
    photo51960.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 42
  • photo51962.jpg
    photo51962.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for posting . Very inspirational . I've been bit by the knife bug as of late . We are doing home remodeling so I'm in the firearms no by zone . Been wanting to try an infantry fighting knife with W1 . Your finished product looks great .

looks awsome let me know what u are charging for one good job brother