• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just getting back into shooting.

Jmartin2076

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Washington
It has been a long time since I have done any real shooting, at least 10 years. I just picked up a Savage 93 in .17hmr to use a a trainer until I can save some money for a larger caliber. So far the Savage is great, very good out of the box accuracy as most of you know. I have done a few mods to mine as I have been testing ammo. I made a spacer to lengthen the length of pull as the original stock is too short. I then made an oversize bolt knob using info from this site to make it more comfortable and ease round cycling. I also did the trigger shim to get rid of the little creep that was there. Here are some shots of my work and a target at 50 yards using CCI TNT 17 gr. Will probably be putting it into a Tacticool stock this summer and bedding it. I still need a bipod for it though. It has been a fun shooting rifle and I am happy to be getting back into the sport.
stock.jpg
target.jpg

bolt2.jpg
bolt1.jpg

Re: Just getting back into shooting.

Very nice looking rifle, and cool bolt. Welcome back to shooting. I'm really enjoying my Savage Mk II TR 22LR w/the tacticool stock, and am thinking of bedding it. Let us know how your bedding job goes. I have & recommend the Harris bipod: notched legs w/tilt. Enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words. Before my break I had a great 25-06 that was a pleasure to shoot. Only ever got to 5-600 yds with it but was great fun. Miss that rifle. This one is a lot of fun at 200 which is the farthest I have stretched it to. The stock extension was two half in thick pieces of scrap oak that I had around. I glued two together overnight in a vice, traced the butt of the stock on it, cut and sanded to fit. Then I just hit it with good ole Rustoleum
smile.gif
If anyone is in WA state and interested in rimfire practice let me know. Got a great desert spot to shoot at. Bit of a drive but you can stretch it out about as far as you want. I could always use some tips and pointers.

I have done the same butt extension with wood.
That rustolem made it look like a synthentic, always have my eye out for inexpensive, thick peices of quality material.

Used to work at a saw mill we had some UHMW sheets, should have saved every scrap but did not.

Note UHMW is an indusrtial plastic, dense, tough, strong, self lubricating, machineable.
Lots of uses, but expensive.

I was hoping to find something like you described but didn't see anything around here and had some oak laying around. Works for my purposes
wink.gif
Oh and before I start taking flak for 3 shot groups the target is 5
smile.gif