• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got a nice 40x 22 Lr.. Magazine/ bottom metal

Re: Just got a nice 40x 22 Lr.. Magazine/ bottom metal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there is going to be much more cost involved then many of us were expecting ($800-1000). A fellow hide member actually turned his 40x into a repeater and said it was very tedious and involved. After reading the post I was a little disheartened. I justs did not realize how hard this was going to be.

I dont want to speak for CDI, and could be way off. here was the thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1385128</div></div>

He had to build one from scratch... the idea for the CDI piece was to get them machined on a CNC to dramatically reduce the time involved. Still, it looks like modification of the bolt-face as well as inletting is involved. I have a 40X, but it is in a stock that is already inletted for a single-shot.

If you build the bottom metal right, you could have it match an M5 footprint that would make it fit a standard inletted stock very well. This is not so much for those of us who already own 40X's in McMillans as much as those of us who would like to buy a 40X and drop it straight into a McMillan stock. I think the main reason for the 40X's popularity around here is that it drops right into a 700 footprint.

For rimfire benchrest folks, they like the 40X because of massive amounts of ignition. The Stiller action promises a 40X that does not need truing and will be offered as a single-shot and a repeater, making both tactical and benchrest people happy. It is also about as expensive as a worked 40X...

Any update on the stiller? Stillers other actions are right at 1k fo just the action, then you need a stock and barrel and smith time. When you add it all up maybe the 40x mag conversion is not all that pricy anymore.

If roedale modded a stock to the sako quad action, I would be set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 40X's but why not just go with a 52 Win, if a repeater is a must? The rifle would be cheaper than the conversion. </div></div>
My 52C shoots very well with target sights, but it's not built for mounting a scope if you want to have a "tactical trainer". My 40XB 22LR in an AICS has the same feel as my 308 in the same stock, and I can mount the same scopes on it in the usual way.

That is the reason I am dropping the cash on a 40x.

I can set it up EXACTLY like my work rifle even down to the size and weight. The single shot issue prevents me from running a rimfire tactical match with it. For that I have a Savage MkII. Now if I could get a five or ten shot magazine conversion for a 40x I would be all over it.

I am just waiting for the word to send it in. Have the barreled action AICS sitting here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Working on what magazines to use. I dont really like the savage mags(seem very cheap and chintzy).

Does anyone have input on good 22 LR rifle mags?.. I have heard the Anchutz ones are good but not sure what ones or availability/price. </div></div>
The 4-round and 5-round magazines for the Kimber of Oregon Model 82 work and feed perfectly. The bad news is that factory Model 82 magazines are very expensive (<span style="font-style: italic">$50.00+ each if you can find them</span>). The good news is that there is a company called <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Ammoclip.com</span></span> that sells aftermarket (non-factory) 5-round and 10-round <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82 magazines</span></span>. These magazines aren't nearly as pretty (or as expensive) as the factory Kimber magazines are, but they are readily available.

The ammoclip.com magazines still aren't inexpensive ($33.00 each), but they function and are less expensive than factory Kimber Model 82 magazines. And, like the factory Kimber Model 82 magazines they are steel (unlike those crappy plastic Sako magazines) and are designed to fit flush (unlike those crappy CZ 452/453 magazines).

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT: FYI, for anyone who has a Kimber Model 82 (<span style="font-style: italic">this means Oregon Kimbers ONLY</span>), I function-tested magazine I obtained from ammoclip.com advertised as a Kimber 82 5-round clip in a Kimber 82B. The mag does not fit flush, but more importantly it does not feed correctly.

I also have a Kimber Model 82A, but I did not test the mag in this rifle. More than likely it will not work, but I will update this post if and when i pull the 82A out of the safe and test it.

However, it does feed reliably in a Kimber 82C, as well as fitting flush.</span>

Keith

Well, if a conversion was ever going to be made, now would seem to be a good time with this new CMP offering to hit the market. It would sure help to spread out the set up cost I would think. Regards

Why not Ruger Mark 2 or Mark 3 pistol mags? 10 rounds. Reliable. Cheap. Im working on an old Romanian trainer rifle thats single shot and my plan is to convert it to a repeater with MK2 mags(I have a bunch of them already is one reason.)

I emailed CDI Precision and got the following response

"Im working on it after Christmas,, Hang tite Ill get it done shortly..:)"

Fingers crossed

I hope this works out. I'm definitely in!

Tag!

*Nudge*

What's the word ? My fingers are crossed too!

I'd turn my 40X into a repeater also, neat idea here !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm working on a conversion for the 40X that should fall out of the Model 605 project. My DBM that accepts five shot mags will be adaptable to the 40X.... </div></div>

Can't wait!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skunk, what mags will this system be using? </div></div>

I have two different DBMs. One will accept the Ruger rotary magazine and isn't designed as a drop in replacement and the other accepts Cooper magazines and is a drop in replacement....

Whoever gets to the market here with a 100% functional conversion stands to do a lot of business. I've been excited about a repeater conversion since before I took possession of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KoonceCustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoever gets to the market here with a 100% functional conversion stands to do a lot of business. I've been excited about a repeater conversion since before I took possession of the rifle.

</div></div>

+ several. I agree 100%. I'm definitely down. I just hope it becomes a reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I think Im going to make an AICS Mag adapter. It will be shaped similar to the top of an AICS mag, and will hold a Savage mag. It would work in any setup that uses AICS mags(Mine, Badger, AICS chassis Stocks, etc).. </div></div>

i'd be in for a few of those.

looking at that factory Remington repeter the box screwed onto the bottom is very close looking to a Brno system i know that the parts are not cheep but it will likley be c heeper than an ACIS type conversian for the guys not wanting to use an ACIS type mag system and spare parts can be purchased easily for Brno's i have a spare mag well here for a model2.

Now how can those CMP 22's be purchased? i am not in the US so it might be even harder could posibly organise export but getting one would be the issue. if i can get one i will fit the Brno magwell to one with Brno mags sometimes the older 5 and 10 round steel mags turn up here.

I too have been looking at the 40x and the ability to convert to a repeater. The Bruno / CZ looked promising but due to the curvature of the magazine it won't work due to hitting the action bolt. I've got one in the works that I think will be very workable. As soon as it is complete I will post photos. The parts are not cheap but it is a very simple solution that will function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too have been looking at the 40x and the ability to convert to a repeater. The Bruno / CZ looked promising but due to the curvature of the magazine it won't work due to hitting the action bolt. I've got one in the works that I think will be very workable. As soon as it is complete I will post photos. The parts are not cheap but it is a very simple solution that will function. </div></div>

I am curious what bolt will the mag hit? do you think it will come forward to the front take down screw? if you look at the factory repeter it attaches the same way and the 5 shot mags do not go forward as much as the retaining screws on the factory Rem 40 repeter there is heaps of room i am pretty sure i have the parts here.

yes, I think they will hit the front action screw. I purchased the magaiznes and the magazine housings with exactly that in mind. My design will use the Sako magazine which is straight and seems to work well. I've got a nice machined magazine well that aligns well.

If you are interested I have 3 brno/CZ magazine housings that I won't be using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm working on a conversion for the 40X that should fall out of the Model 605 project. My DBM that accepts five shot mags will be adaptable to the 40X.... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skunk, what mags will this system be using? </div></div>

I have two different DBMs. One will accept the Ruger rotary magazine and isn't designed as a drop in replacement and the other accepts Cooper magazines and is a drop in replacement.... </div></div>

Mike, from reading your two statements above, does that mean your new proprietary rimfire 40X conversion could accept either the Cooper 5-shot magazine, or alternately the Ruger 10-rd rotary .22lr magazine?
Or is your second statement applicable only to the 605 rimfire action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm working on a conversion for the 40X that should fall out of the Model 605 project. My DBM that accepts five shot mags will be adaptable to the 40X.... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MEAT4272</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skunk, what mags will this system be using? </div></div>

I have two different DBMs. One will accept the Ruger rotary magazine and isn't designed as a drop in replacement and the other accepts Cooper magazines and is a drop in replacement.... </div></div>

Mike, from reading your two statements above, does that mean your new proprietary rimfire 40X conversion could accept either the Cooper 5-shot magazine, or alternately the Ruger 10-rd rotary .22lr magazine?
Or is your second statement applicable only to the 605 rimfire action? </div></div>

My plan is for the 40X conversion to accept the AICS type magazine, but anything is possible at this point....This is moving along pretty well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, I think they will hit the front action screw. I purchased the magaiznes and the magazine housings with exactly that in mind. My design will use the Sako magazine which is straight and seems to work well. I've got a nice machined magazine well that aligns well.

If you are interested I have 3 brno/CZ magazine housings that I won't be using. </div></div>

Thanks i already have a complete spare unit here we do a lot fo work on Brno 22's here in Australia mine is the steel unit form a model 1 not the plastic they are now using on some. do you have any pictures of the Sako units? do sako make both 5 and 10 shot mags? i want to be able to use both mag lengths i am just trying to find a donar 40x so if anyone is going to shift a 40x 22 trainer please let me know i have the exporting all sourted out it would come with the next batch of actions we import from the US so you would only need to post it to our US dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plan is for the 40X conversion to accept the AICS type magazine, but anything is possible at this point....This is moving along pretty well.... </div></div>

Thanks, that's good to know and sounds great!

Are you coming back to DFW anytime soon? If so, then just give us a heads up and we'll plan another gathering...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plan is for the 40X conversion to accept the AICS type magazine, but anything is possible at this point....This is moving along pretty well.... </div></div>

Thanks, that's good to know and sounds great!

Are you coming back to DFW anytime soon? If so, then just give us a heads up and we'll plan another gathering... </div></div>

I don't have any immediate plans, but that can change quickly....I'll give you a call within the next few days....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That explains alot.. </div></div>

What specifically are you referring to?

bump. What's the deal guys ? Daddy needs to make his 40x a repeater!

Jeff (CDiPrecision), is this still something that you are considering doing? Your bottom metal is awesome and your customer service is even more amazing. You went above and beyond to help my brother out. If this becomes a reality, I would certainly be in.

Re: Just got a nice 40x 22 Lr.. Magazine/ bottom m

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to get this going..I have been busier than I had anticipated. Ill get it worked out soon, I promise.:) </div></div>

Any updates?

If you have abandoned the project please let me/us know.

Re: Just got a nice 40x 22 Lr.. Magazine/ bottom m

Same question here (to both Jeff and Co. and to Mike)...any more info on these projects?

I am really interested in any AICS mag blocks/conversions for the 40X.

Thanks, gents!!