• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes *JUST RELEASED* Nightforce NX8 FFP 1-8x24mm 30mm Tube & ATACR F1 1-8x24mm 34mm Tube Models

I will also say....while both my units have capped adjustments, they track perfect and are finger adjustable with great feeling clicks. I zeroed them and RTZ'ed without issue.
About to wrap up todays range session, but so impressed so far. I've got a ton of time on various LPVO's; both SFP and FFP variety, and these are well done.

The NX8 on a 12.5" gun still leaves enough room to get a clip on enabler in front without issue. My Vortex was a little long. So if you wonder why size matters for discreet use on short guns....there ya go.

Once I get more time on them both, I will get more in the weeds.

I run the dual capped version on my AR. I don’t find the dot to be too large at all. This is likely a two fold deal. First is that at any distance I’m LIKELY going to be shooting, the center illuminated dot with segmented circle is perfect. Super fast at 1X, run it like a red dot. As the power level goes up, the segmented circle with center dot becomes a perfect “bracketing reticle”. Bracket the target/suspect inside the circle, red center dot on high center mass and send it. VERY fast, and plenty accurate at room clearing distance. Second reason it’s not too big is that I’m not going to dial with this scope. At distance, I’m going to hold. In holding, the reticle is fantastic. I shot out to 500 yesterday on steel. I had no trouble at all making hits by holding in the mil reticle.

I definitely think we have to remember that NF I’d primarily looking at a mil/Leo market with these scopes. For that market, the reticle is very usable. If I was looking for a scope for long range shooting with a fine center aiming point, this would not be the scope for me. As a CQB, out to X distance in civilian law enforcement, I think it’s outstanding.

Range session went longer than expected. Had an opportunity to run through a shoothouse at the range.
My Vortex 1-6 is impressive for CQB and very swift inside 25 yards. Eyebox is quick to get behind and FOV is judicious. Kind of a benchmark for CQB use.

I ran my 16" 6.5CM through and it was quickly apparent that I gave up absolutely nothing to my Vortex on an URGI upper.
At room clearing distances, you are talking about 5" less FOV compared to the Vortex. The overly generous eyebox of the ATACR and ED glass quality were phenomenal. Red dot was stupid bright due to being about twice as large as the Vortex on 1x. So now, I have a slightly shorter, lighter, more powerful LPV.....I'M IN LOVE!!! NF did a fabulous job with the FC-DM reticle....very well rounded for close proximity and extended range work.

I didn't have enough time to do any work with my NX8 other than a few dry runs, but its obvious that it was not meant to compete performance wise with the ATACR.

Regardless, I love them both. The NX8 fits the bill perfectly for my piggie slayer where I use a clip on thermal full time at night.

Reactions: branson1369
Range session went longer than expected. Had an opportunity to run through a shoothouse at the range.
My Vortex 1-6 is impressive for CQB and very swift inside 25 yards. Eyebox is quick to get behind and FOV is judicious. Kind of a benchmark for CQB use.

I ran my 16" 6.5CM through and it was quickly apparent that I gave up absolutely nothing to my Vortex on an URGI upper.
At room clearing distances, you are talking about 5" less FOV compared to the Vortex. The overly generous eyebox of the ATACR and ED glass quality were phenomenal. Red dot was stupid bright due to being about twice as large as the Vortex on 1x. So now, I have a slightly shorter, lighter, more powerful LPV.....I'M IN LOVE!!! NF did a fabulous job with the FC-DM reticle....very well rounded for close proximity and extended range work.

I didn't have enough time to do any work with my NX8 other than a few dry runs, but its obvious that it was not meant to compete performance wise with the ATACR.

Regardless, I love them both. The NX8 fits the bill perfectly for my piggie slayer where I use a clip on thermal full time at night.

Excellent information and thanks for passing it on.

A quick question though, you stated that the ATACR performed as good as, or better than the Razor, but wouldn't you expect it to? The ATACR costs twice as much as the Razor. I am not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to understand.

The RAZOR 1-6 is a stud of an optic and IMO, SFP 1-6's have primarily owned the LPV space with the Vortex, Kahles and Swaro leading with the Vortex taking the best value category without a doubt.

Having had a Swaro and Kahles, the Vortex won with me for cost to performance ratio; meaning very bright daytime dot, overly generous eyebox and very acceptable FOV. It all equated to rounds on target as fast as an Aimpoint or Eotech.

00bullitt covered some of the virtues of SFP and FFP design limitations earlier in this thread. Considering that, comparing paper specs and then putting rubber to pavement really clarified some things for me in terms of reality. FOV at 100 yards equates to inches at room clearing distance. I typically let paper specs determine what I might be buying.

I think the NF ATACR is in the catbird seat for a FFP 1-8 on par with the SFP 1-6's that have been all the rage.

The advertised spec of the ATACR is 97' at 100 yards. Actual measurement by me was 105'. The Vortex claims 115' and my measurements matched that almost perfectly with me getting closer to 116'

Being that my NF 7-35 actually had 132moa of total travel when they advertise 100moa, leads me to believe NF errs on the conservative side of their specs.
My NX8 had an actual measurement of 108' at 100 yards which was closer to the advertised 106'.

So, in short, it wasn't so much due to cost at all for me as it was measured performance. The Vortex was a benchmark and the ATACR gives up nothing to it in CQB....an area that the Vortex kills in.

Does that make sense and answer your question?

Unfortunately I don't think its all about what costs more, necessarily performs better as much as you get what you pay for. I don't feel like I was overcharged for the ATACR 1-8. Hell, when the CQBSS came out, I don't feel I was overcharged then given it was the first of its kind. I did ultimately abandon it for the Swaro and then a Kahles 1-6 as I wanted a certain level of performance in 3 Gun Competition. 3 Gun is the reason LPVO's are placed where they are in the market today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kremvh
The RAZOR 1-6 is a stud of an optic and IMO, SFP 1-6's have primarily owned the LPV space with the Vortex, Kahles and Swaro leading with the Vortex taking the best value category without a doubt.

Having had a Swaro and Kahles, the Vortex won with me for cost to performance ratio; meaning very bright daytime dot, overly generous eyebox and very acceptable FOV. It all equated to rounds on target as fast as an Aimpoint or Eotech.

00bullitt covered some of the virtues of SFP and FFP design limitations earlier in this thread. Considering that, comparing paper specs and then putting rubber to pavement really clarified some things for me in terms of reality. FOV at 100 yards equates to inches at room clearing distance. I typically let paper specs determine what I might be buying.

I think the NF ATACR is in the catbird seat for a FFP 1-8 on par with the SFP 1-6's that have been all the rage.

The advertised spec of the ATACR is 97' at 100 yards. Actual measurement by me was 105'. The Vortex claims 115' and my measurements matched that almost perfectly with me getting closer to 116'

Being that my NF 7-35 actually had 132moa of total travel when they advertise 100moa, leads me to believe NF errs on the conservative side of their specs.
My NX8 had an actual measurement of 108' at 100 yards which was closer to the advertised 106'.

So, in short, it wasn't so much due to cost at all for me as it was measured performance. The Vortex was a benchmark and the ATACR gives up nothing to it in CQB....an area that the Vortex kills in.

Unfortunately I don't think its all about what costs more, necessarily performs better as much as you get what you pay for. I don't feel like I was overcharged for the ATACR 1-8. Hell, when the CQBSS came out, I don't feel I was overcharged then given it was the first of its kind. I did ultimately abandon it for the Swaro and then a Kahles 1-6 as I wanted a certain level of performance in 3 Gun Competition. 3 Gun is the reason LPVO's are placed where they are in the market today.

It does, thanks so much. I have to accept that we all have different expectations and that they are formulated using different factor.

This helped me out a ton as well. Thanks!

I've owned the NXS 2.5-10 x24 SFP for a while now and really like it - no issue with the eye box at higher magnification - it's on an SR15. I also bought a ATACR 1-8 and put it on a SCAR 17. But, after following this post - specifically Fenix Mike and 00Bullits contributions which I've read several times - I realize I kind of got lucky with these choices because I now know about 10X as much as I did when I bought them!

Great post OP and some really superb contributions from a couple of SMEs.

Last edited:

Really great review.

I look forward to your comparison between the NX8 and the ATACR.

So the actual center dot is .35mil/1.2moa. The segmented circle is 2mil across(6.875moa). On 1x, the circle changes in relation to the target to form the dot....ala FFP......so the dot is 2mils on 1x and you see the 2mil segmented circle with .35mil dot in center at 8x. Very well designed. Too big for long range precision.....maybe a smidge. 1moa would have been more appropriate, but I think the reflective surface area is why its sooooo freaking bright! Perfect for CQB and ultimate speed inside 200 yards.

The .35mil dot could be too big depending on the target size you are shooting at a specific distance. Its all relative I suppose.

I zeroed today and pushed out to 600 yards on 6" plates and the dot was covering it when I dialed, but holding over with either the FC-MIL or FC-DM was beautiful. Still easy to hit 6" plates at that distance.

I actually pushed out to 1k on 12" plates and was nailing them. The .35mil dot covered it edge to edge perfectly and allowed for excellent windage holdoff.

This is good info, and given that the primary purpose of the LPVO is 1x, it makes sense to me.

Spent some time zeroing both NXS 1-8 yesterday at Clinton House in a small bay (100-300 bay closed for 3 gun). Initial results 1X rocked very quick on target. Given in a small bay 8X results min but during serving worked great.

I did not have any issues with eye box size in CQB and also across truck bed. I will get more time next Friday on 100-300 range with multiple target/ speed drills and positional.

IMHO eye box issue is minimal especially given designed purpose of this scope. Plus I keep hearing in my “grape” a USMC PMI yelling technique, sight pictures, #@*x@#! Private....... even with all the gray hair some thing the CRS cannot take away.

I suspect with solid practice any eye box challenges (if you have them) will work out quickly practice practice practice

Does anyone know what the requirements are to be eligible for the dual capped version of the NX8?

anyone have any experience with the nightforce offerings vs the vortex razor 1-6?

Considering switching my sbr from eotech+magnifier to lpvo and cant decide if i want to try the razor or get another atacr.

anyone have any experience with the nightforce offerings vs the vortex razor 1-6?

Considering switching my sbr from eotech+magnifier to lpvo and cant decide if i want to try the razor or get another atacr.

Yes, I have both. The Vortex is a great scope. It has a fantastic field of view, very clean glass (some of the best in the industry) and it is built like a tank. Now, the downsides: it’s HEAVY....like change the balance of your gun heavy. I never noticed it as much until now, since I’ve been shooting the NX8. Also, the Razor is a SFP. You can decide if that is a positive or negative, I’m not sure either way in only a 1-6. The illumination is NOT as good. It’s daylight bright, but no room to spare. Did I mention it’s heavy?? In all seriousness, I used to think the Razor was the be all in LPV’s. Now that I own both I can say the NX8 outdoes it in most things. The Razor still has better FOV, and you can’t argue about the quality of the glass. That said, the NX8 is 10oz lighter, fantastic illumination, very good glass, FFP, and a 1-8, all in a much smaller footprint.

I won’t sell my Razor....yet, but it’s definitely not on my primary “run and gun” rifle anymore. It’s been replaced by my NX8.

ETA: for an SBR, that’s where the NF would walk away from the Razor. Weight and size would be great on a SBR.

Yes, I have both. The Vortex is a great scope. It has a fantastic field of view, very clean glass (some of the best in the industry) and it is built like a tank. Now, the downsides: it’s HEAVY....like change the balance of your gun heavy. I never noticed it as much until now, since I’ve been shooting the NX8. Also, the Razor is a SFP. You can decide if that is a positive or negative, I’m not sure either way in only a 1-6. The illumination is NOT as good. It’s daylight bright, but no room to spare. Did I mention it’s heavy?? In all seriousness, I used to think the Razor was the be all in LPV’s. Now that I own both I can say the NX8 outdoes it in most things. The Razor still has better FOV, and you can’t argue about the quality of the glass. That said, the NX8 is 10oz lighter, fantastic illumination, very good glass, FFP, and a 1-8, all in a much smaller footprint.

I won’t sell my Razor....yet, but it’s definitely not on my primary “run and gun” rifle anymore. It’s been replaced by my NX8.

ETA: for an SBR, that’s where the NF would walk away from the Razor. Weight and size would be great on a SBR.

Thanks for the input. Only problem I'm having is spending another $2700 and then $350 for another geissele mount lol, I can do it but my brain is saying $1300 scope and $350 mount then $950 in ammo or reloading supplies. Not sure how I feel about need 8x and ffp on an 11.5 sbr either, I think max shots would be 400 - 500 yds with 5.56. Decisions decisisons.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
Thanks for the input. Only problem I'm having is spending another $2700 and then $350 for another geissele mount lol, I can do it but my brain is saying $1300 scope and $350 mount then $950 in ammo or reloading supplies. Not sure how I feel about need 8x and ffp on an 11.5 sbr either, I think max shots would be 400 - 500 yds with 5.56. Decisions decisisons.

The MSRP on the NX8 is $1,750; the ATACR 1-8 is $2,800 MSRP

I have been wrestling with the same question/decision on a LPVO. In your opinion, do you think that the reduced weight of the GEN II-E 1-6x would make a big difference in the balance of the rifle when compared to the GEN I?

I have been wrestling with the same question/decision on a LPVO. In your opinion, do you think that the reduced weight of the GEN II-E 1-6x would make a big difference in the balance of the rifle when compared to the GEN I?

That’s a great question, and one I don’t have an answer to. I don’t know what the new Gen II Razor weighs. Last night I was literally shooting two of my SPR/DMR rifles side by side. One with the Razor, one with the NF. Can’t get more “compare/contrast” than that. Side by side, same night, same target.
At the prone position, I look through my Razor, and still love it. It has VERY little to criticize. BUT, standing up, shooting multiple targets, running drills, moving with the rifle, really “driving” the gun, the NF is much better. My cost on the NF NX8 (LEO) makes the price between it and the Razor VERY close. Because of the similarity in cost, the NF becomes the clear choice FOR ME. That’s just me though. One guy’s opinion.
Long winded answer, sorry. I just think OVERALL, the NF is the best thing going right now.

That’s a great question, and one I don’t have an answer to. I don’t know what the new Gen II Razor weighs. Last night I was literally shooting two of my SPR/DMR rifles side by side. One with the Razor, one with the NF. Can’t get more “compare/contrast” than that. Side by side, same night, same target.
At the prone position, I look through my Razor, and still love it. It has VERY little to criticize. BUT, standing up, shooting multiple targets, running drills, moving with the rifle, really “driving” the gun, the NF is much better. My cost on the NF NX8 (LEO) makes the price between it and the Razor VERY close. Because of the similarity in cost, the NF becomes the clear choice FOR ME. That’s just me though. One guy’s opinion.
Long winded answer, sorry. I just think OVERALL, the NF is the best thing going right now.

Not long winded at all. The GEN II-E weighs 21.5 ounces, which is about 4 ounces lighter than the earlier version.

Reactions: Surtr
Does anyone know if Nightforce plans to make an MOA version of the ATACR 1-8x?

Reactions: Two Mikes
IMO it's one of, if not the finest 1-8 LPV out! Having thm in hand confirms the positive overall reviews of this Nightforce. I'm surprised we have one left in stock right now, unless I take it :unsure:

Putting the reticles aside how does the Z8i fit in with these two and compare in terms of glass quality and eye box?

Just received my NX8 today from Euro Optics. The UPS guy came before I got home, luckily I found the brown truck inside my community...otherwise I have to wait for the brown truck tomorrow.

By comparing the Leupold Mark 6 1-6 I own, here are my thoughts.

1x - both scope has very flat image at 1x, it is as close to 1x as you can find on the market. Looking through the scope with both eye open, there is no distortion of the image, however, you do feel looking through a tube, razor gen 2 on the hand has better images but has slightly more magnification at 1x (that’s just me) I do have to adjust the diopter of Mark 6 quite a bit but very little on the NX8.

Illumation- Hands down to NX8....most people by now knows how bright NX8 it is, but you really don’t need it, the three posts on the reticle will draw your eyes to the target.

Form factor. Both scope has similar or same weight (17 ozs) but NX8 is much smaller in size. I went with the NF mount to keep the form factor as small and as light as possible. I went with Leupold Mount for my Mark 6 and with the Leupold throw lever included...I think the NF combo it at least 4-5 ozs lighter. I did consider use Geissele Mount, but I wanna save myself 2 more ozs due to I have a girls arm...lol ..I just feel the Geissele Mount it’s little too bulky for such little scope.

Eye box- NX8 has sensitive eye box...even more sensitive than Mark 6...but it’s the trade off and spec doesn’t lie. But since you can shoot with book eye open and the reticle it’s so bright...you still able to engage the target even all you see it’s shadow .

All and all I love the NX8...it’s small at the same time it’s very sturdy....this baby is sitting on my grab and go gun just in case you know what..

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
Great storyline, good contributions.

This is a big and expanding market for CQB optics, and several great optics are now in the ture 1x space with 1-6x and 1-8x. I got to get behind a few last month: ATACR, NX8, Steiner M6Xi, Vortex 1-6x, Kahles and Minox. It is like looking through the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit edition and picking your favorite swim suit.

It is tough to choose, and depends upon the inteded use. I like them all. If price was not a consideration, it would be tough to not to choose the ATACR or the Steiner, for shear perfection and tactical build.

Well, I can say that I am still in love with my NX8. I have now ordered an ATACR 1-8. I am actually going to sell my Razor 1-6. My Razor was always my gold standard, my “go to”. I have been shooting the NX8 for about a month now, and last week I mounted up an ATACR 1-8 for a young man. When I looked through it and started messing with it, I knew then and there that the game had finally passed my Razor by. The ATACR, even at Military/LE price is quite a bit more than the Mil/LE price of the Razor. But, it’s much more scope. It’s FFP, the reticle is fantastic, the illumination is better, it’s 1-8 vs 1-6. In all measurable ways, it’s an improvement.
In my opinion, the LPV market has been turned over on its neck, and NF owns it now.

Do y’all think the nx8 is up to the task for 1k yard shots on 12-20” steel? Or am I better suited with the atacr. Need it to pull double duty on a recce and a 224 valkyrie setup. I like the weight and compactness of the nx8. Anyone running the nx8 out at distance?

I agree that a 1-8 isn’t ideal for 1K. I’d say 1000yds is long range by anyone’s measure. The 1-8, although an awesome scope, is a mid range prospect. I have gone 600 quite handily with the 1-8, but I’d leave the 1000yd stuff to the 4-16, or at the VERY least, the 2.5-10

Reactions: deersniper
I have used a 2.5-10 NXS out to about 1350 or so. Not too bad, but obviously not ideal. My 1-8 reticle is much less ideal for distance shooting, unless you are holding over, and that only works so far. 4-16 ATACR would be much better, but so is the SHV F1 if you need to spend less.

I’m looking for a one optic solution and figured since people are using the mk8 1-8 on sr25s out to 1000, that it would be a nice solution. 1000 yard shots would be far less frequent, but I can see how it would be limiting myself and the caliber by doing so. Maybe a two optic solution is best.

I've used the ATACR to engage targets to 1k. The trick is having a platform capable of doing such. A 16" .308 gas gun is just lobbing softballs and getting lucky. 800 yards was about max for me on a DD5 with AB39.

But a shorter barrel 6.5 Creedmoor is more more capable for the magic 1k number. Run the numbers ballistically, and you should be able to squeeze 1k worth holdovers too depending on your DA.

Reactions: reubenski
My nx8 and atacr 1-8 just came in. Biggest thing I noticed is the sheer size difference. One thing that isn’t talked about too is how the illumination of the nx8 is far brighter than the atacr. What is a 10 on the atacr is in between a 5 or 6 on the nx8. I swapped to a new battery just to confirm. Kind of makes me not like the atacr as much.

first report I've seen on the ATACR not being as bright. That turns me off on picking one up if that's true. Does anyone else observe the same thing comparing the 2 back to back? I only care about the brightness at 1x.

If someone can confirm that this is incorrect from personal experience, I’ll send it in for a replacement. Otherwise it’s going back and going to keep the nx8.

Spoke with nightforce. Confirmed that you will experience difference brightnesses due to the location of the led in the scope.

If the ATACR could get to the brightness of nx8 at 1x that’ll be fine for me. You’re saying it only gets to 5 or 6 though?

KH2RHA.jpg

fgbFnE.jpg

Reactions: deersniper