• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes *JUST RELEASED* Nightforce NX8 FFP 1-8x24mm 30mm Tube & ATACR F1 1-8x24mm 34mm Tube Models

I have no experience with the NXS but have owned the ATACR for ~2 months. I have to admit being somewhat disappointed in the brightness of the dot, after reading reports that it was "Aimpoint bright". Okay, maybe Aimpoint-at-half-power-bright IMO. I very much like the ATACR so far and making fast shots on 1x is very easy given the great eye-relief. But in very bright light I find it easier and faster to turn OFF the illumination and look for the reticle. YMMV.

-Rainman223

I have no experience with the NXS but have owned the ATACR for ~2 months. I have to admit being somewhat disappointed in the brightness of the dot, after reading reports that it was "Aimpoint bright". Okay, maybe Aimpoint-at-half-power-bright IMO. I very much like the ATACR so far and making fast shots on 1x is very easy given the great eye-relief. But in very bright light I find it easier and faster to turn OFF the illumination and look for the reticle. YMMV.

-Rainman223
This is how I perceive it as well. Shocked to see how much brother the nx8 is. There shouldn’t be a trade off in brightness from the nx8 to the atacr for 1k more. I shouldn’t have to justify “well in a cqb/indoor scenario it’s plenty bright and mid range outdoors it’s not as important” for $2800

This is how I perceive it as well. Shocked to see how much brother the nx8 is. There shouldn’t be a trade off in brightness from the nx8 to the atacr for 1k more. I shouldn’t have to justify “well in a cqb/indoor scenario it’s plenty bright and mid range outdoors it’s not as important” for $2800

The question that really matters is whether the differring brightness levels affect the end use of the scopes.... if not, who gives a shit.
Anyone using the atacr in bright, high glare situations? Be interested to see how you find the red dot.

It apparently does to rainman at the top of this page.

The question that really matters is whether the differring brightness levels affect the end use of the scopes.... if not, who gives a shit.
Anyone using the atacr in bright, high glare situations? Be interested to see how you find the red dot.

I've got both the ATACR and NX8. Both are bright as hell and cannot be utilized on their max intensity in the brightest of conditions as they both bloom. I cannot tell if one is brighter than the other on max, but I can see some slight variation at intermediate intensity settings.

I would have to speculate there may be an issue with your ATACR. I would be adamant that NF CS have a look at it.

I've got both the ATACR and NX8. Both are bright as hell and cannot be utilized on their max intensity in the brightest of conditions as they both bloom. I cannot tell if one is brighter than the other on max, but I can see some slight variation at intermediate intensity settings.

I would have to speculate there may be an issue with your ATACR. I would be adamant that NF CS have a look at it.

Many thanks for that info. I'm quite familiar with "cannot be utilized on max intensity". I shot my ATACR about a week ago, on an extremely bright/sunny day, back-to-back with another AR that has an Aimpoint T2. I wasn't able to shoot the T2 at maximum brightness; I don't believe I've ever been in conditions that were so bright I needed the max/brightness setting (usually one or two clicks down). My ATACR wasn't nearly as bright at the max setting; it was actually blending a bit too well with the background lighting, so much so that I found it far easier and faster to get hits by turning it OFF.

I will definitely be in contact with NF CS.

-Rainman223

Love my nx8, been running it for a bit on my go to 5.56 gun. Bright as hell when I need it, ran it on steel out to 670 in between practicing with my bolt gun a few times. Awesome little scope. I went with the nx8 after playing with both for the overall tiny package size. Very pleased with it.
20180502_161207.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
I got to try the atacr and I wasnt that impressed with it. The illumination flickers like the mk6, glass was good but at 8x it was noticeably darker and tighter eyebox. Overall its a nice scope and would buy one if it was a grand cheaper. Ill stick with the razor for better illumination and better eyebox. The extra 2x doesnt do me a whole lot of good for my uses. If I need note Ill use my 4-16 atacr.

Reactions: Catahoula
You tried the ATACR on an actual gun?
I don't see the flicker til about 3x and I have to grossly move off center to see it....mounted to my gun. Off the gun.....different story.

While optical quality is debateable and mostly subjective, the eyebox is overly generous. I have two personal Razors and work provided some as well. I'm a big Razor fan, but the eyebox is not larger than the ATACR, by any means. Its one of the most forgiving I have ever used.
I have not seen a single Razor that is brighter than either of my Nightforce's.

Too each their own I suppose.

-Rainman223

How is the ATACR 1x with the parallax set at 125yrds? I am waiting for mine to place on my HK 762 with a 12" assaulter barrel and adjustable gas block. I am really looking forward to comparing with the S&B PMII Short Dot CC 1-8.

I am really interesting in hearing how the parallax affects the 1x.

Thanks,
RG

I had exposure to the S&B 1-8(CC) early on. I never saw the appeal. Glass was not conducive to what I was used to from S&B and the whole CC thing made no difference at all.

The ATACR has a small amount of parallax up close where it does not matter and none out to 1000 yards. I have no issues hitting 10" plates at 1000 with my 16" 6.5CM.

Thanks for the quick reply.

That is great to hear about the ATACR.

I am looking forward to judging the two side by side for myself but to hear more experienced opinions helps me determine if i am looking at things from the right angle.

Best Regards,
RG

Ran my nx8 out to 640 yards today with great success. I really like this little scope. For its size, weight, brightness, clarity at 1x, and ability to reach out probably last 700 yards it’s great. It is the first 1-x scope I’ve come across that doesn’t give me a double image when I view it at 1x. However, my one gripe about it is how much the image quality drops as soon as you dial up to 8x. Dial back to 6, and it’s nice and bright and clear. At 8x from my perspective, it’s almost like there’s a film of plastic that needs to be torn off the lense. The only reason I dialed up to 8x last 500 was so I could use holdovers and not get lost in the reticle. Maybe this is due to the small exit pupil, and the inability to adjust parallax, or both. It’s a great scope, but if you spent most of its life in 8x, you’d def be dissapponted.

Reactions: jordan0317
I had exposure to the S&B 1-8(CC) early on. I never saw the appeal. Glass was not conducive to what I was used to from S&B and the whole CC thing made no difference at all.

The ATACR has a small amount of parallax up close where it does not matter and none out to 1000 yards. I have no issues hitting 10" plates at 1000 with my 16" 6.5CM.

That is also great to hear. I was looking for a scope that could double duty on a 14.5-16” recce and a 16-18” 224 valkyrie. If I can get my glare and illumination issue solved on mine, I may have to mount it up and give it a go

Sent my atacr in today. The service rep didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with it. We will see what they say.

Great review, glad I got one ordered.
I agree. Great review. Although I’d say the nx8 is capable of long range, depending on what you define as long range. Hits on 12” steel was easy at almost 700 yards. Although the picture isn’t as clear when viewing out at distance like my x42 is with parallax set to infinity, I think it could make good hits 800-1000 yards if you use the subtension lines

Reactions: CSTactical
Anyone else have focus issues with the nx8. For me when I get a nice clean 1x image, the image becomes a bit out of focus at 8x. No where near as clear as when I dial back to 6

took my lmt mrp recce our this morning. Was able to stretch the nx8 out to 807 yards with no issues. This really is turning into a fantastic scope. I walked back to 1000 yards and there’s no doubt it could hold its own on a 1000-1200 yard shot. Seeing the 12” steel target was no problem. I did notice though where I have to set the focus ring to see the reticle perfectly clearly leads to a bit of eye strain at 1x. No eye strain at 1x leads to a less clear image at 8x. Might just be something I adjust based on what the task at hand is.

Can anyone who has used both the Kahles 16i and the new Nightforce 1-8s give us a comparison? I have the 16i and would like to know whether the new 1-8s are significantly better. Thanks!

Can anyone who has used both the Kahles 16i and the new Nightforce 1-8s give us a comparison? I have the 16i and would like to know whether the new 1-8s are significantly better. Thanks!

It’s not even a comparison. Totally different types of use. Mil reticles, zero stops, exposed elevation knob options.

I’ve owned both. The K16i is far superior in glass quality and FOV. I owned the Kahles and sold to get the NX8, which I also recently sold because I hated it. After many hours adjusting the diopter (per instructions), I could not get a good 1x picture without eye strain, fish eye effect, or blurring on the edges. Goes to show you everyone’s eyes are different when it comes to optics because I was not expecting that based off reviews. I loved the size, turrets, weight and brightness of the NX8 otherwise. I also realized SFP is my preference for 1-6/8x optics. I use 1x out to 100 and 6/8x out past 100. The Kahles is so easy to get behind. I’m in the market for another K16i. I’m sure the NF fan boys will chime in, but I’m giving my experience and preference for a LPVO. Trust me, I wanted to love the NX8.

That’s why there are so many different choices out there. What’s fantastic to one person isn’t so awesome to another. You’re not wrong in your preference on the Kahles......for you. I have shot both as well, and I prefer a FFP above 6X. I like to be able to turn it up just to 3X or 4X at 100, still have a solid FOV, but have my subtensions be correct, or run it at 1X and just have a red dot, nothing else in my FOV at 1X. On a SFP, on 1X, you still deal with the whole reticle.
That’s why I have said before: once to reach a certain level, it’s which one does it FOR YOU.

Right now, I’m loving my ATACR 1-8. I’m not getting rid of my NX8 by any means, but the ATACR is light years better.

That’s why there are so many different choices out there. What’s fantastic to one person isn’t so awesome to another. You’re not wrong in your preference on the Kahles......for you. I have shot both as well, and I prefer a FFP above 6X. I like to be able to turn it up just to 3X or 4X at 100, still have a solid FOV, but have my subtensions be correct, or run it at 1X and just have a red dot, nothing else in my FOV at 1X. On a SFP, on 1X, you still deal with the whole reticle.
That’s why I have said before: once to reach a certain level, it’s which one does it FOR YOU.

Right now, I’m loving my ATACR 1-8. I’m not getting rid of my NX8 by any means, but the ATACR is light years better.

I’m hoping I feel the same way after I get mine back from nightforce customer service. Otherwise it’s nx8 for me I think.

I ran into a friend at the range who happened to have one of each over the weekend. I was impressed by both optics. I only spent a few minutes messing around with them however it was enough time to confirm a few key details I’ve read on this thread.

1. Both had daylight bright illumination.

2. The ATACR has a huge eyebox at 1x.
I was surprised how well it worked like a red dot at 1x with the illumination on.

3. The NX8 is tiny and super light.
It was mounted a little high and the MFT stock he was using didn’t help with cheek weld.

I think NF knocked it out of the park with these two. Hopefully this moves the bar on LPV scopes and we see some more innovation from other companies trying to keep up.

I don’t think the FFP design is for me in the power range. I still prefer my Razor 1-6 with the simple JM1 reticle for my 3gun use. However either of these two scopes would be awesome on a DMR type gun or general purpose 308 battle rifle setup.

Heard back from nightforce today. After comparing my atacr 1-8 to several others right off the assembly line, they determined that there is nothing wrong with mine. They explained over the phone that the illumination is indeed not going to be as bright as the nx8, and that the nx8 at 6 power is equivalent to 10 on the atacr. Not very happy to hear that. He did not get any feedback on the rectangular reflection/glare I was getting off the glass when the illumination is turned up a bit indoors. I may just mount it up lightly to avoid any scuffs and see how it looks getting behind the gun. It’s possible I’ll just send it back to who I bought it from based on what I was just told :/

Heard back from nightforce today. After comparing my atacr 1-8 to several others right off the assembly line, they determined that there is nothing wrong with mine. They explained over the phone that the illumination is indeed not going to be as bright as the nx8, and that the nx8 at 6 power is equivalent to 10 on the atacr. Not very happy to hear that. He did not get any feedback on the rectangular reflection/glare I was getting off the glass when the illumination is turned up a bit indoors. I may just mount it up lightly to avoid any scuffs and see how it looks getting behind the gun. It’s possible I’ll just send it back to who I bought it from based on what I was just told :/

UPDATE: I sent the rep a photo of my atacr’s image with the illumination at 10 indoors. He agreed that the flare/reflection I was seeing should not be there. After passing this information along to the tech team, they agreed that my unit, although was within spec for illumination, should not have that glare. They are sending me a new one, and say it should be a bit brighter than the one I sent in. The rep is seeing if he can get one pulled off the line to send to me right away as a replacement. They think it may have been delaminating on the inside.

Ok, had the time and opportunity today to lay down and shoot the NX8, the ATACR 1-8, and the Minox 1-8. All on the same targets, same day, same ammo. I was shooting with a friend of mine (also a member here, but I will let him decide if he wants to join in). Came up with some very solid conclusions. The NX8 is a bad arse little scope. It's a great CQB, close to mid range scope. Awesome 3Gun scope or work scope that can be pushed out to distance. For the overall size, brightness, reticle, etc. it's probably the best LPV out right now. The ATACR is more of a .308 gas gun scope. It will be a true DMR/SPR scope. Maybe not quite as good inside or in CQB as the NX8, but much better at truly pushing the distance. The footprint is bigger, but so is the picture, the FOV, and the clarity is insane. It's a true DMR scope that can do ok at CQB, and room clearing, but at a trade off in size and weight. The Minox is still a bad ass scope, and glass to glass clarity, FOV, footprint etc., it compares much closer to the ATACR. The "BEST" between the Minox and the ATACR is absolutely going to be reticle based. Whichever one you have, will be the one you probably like. My buddy has 2 NX8's and a Minox, I have 1 NX8, and the ATACR, so we are split on our choices. When I pestered him for a choice between them, he said "I will just get the ATACR and have both."

Keep in mind these are just our thoughts and ideas. If you have the NX8, that doesn't mean you can't stretch it out, and an ATACR will darn sure clear a room. Just putting our perspectives into words.

Hope this makes sense.

Truth is, we live in amazing times right now. The best time ever for top end gear. Looks like it's back to the overtime gigs for me.

Thanks for the write up it confirms my thinking (and the expert advice and recommendation from the Nightforce Rep) around the ATACR 1-8 and the NX8. Have both on order with an expected delivery of sometime in July. The ATACR I am slating for an LMT in 7.62 (.308) and the NX8 will be going on an IWI X95 in .300BLK. My thinking was the ATACR would better serve in a DMR role with the ability when needed to go CQB; the NX8 better suited to a dedicated CQB firearm that could reach out farther if needed. Sounds like I won’t be disappointed!

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
We have a big shipment of 1-8 ATACR and NX8's on the way! Give us a call at 916-670-1103 to grab one o_O

Guys I ordered a NX8 from CSTactical and had shipping info within 2 hours and scope arrived 48 hours later. Amazing customer service and turn around time. Thanks Guys.

Ok, had the time and opportunity today to lay down and shoot the NX8, the ATACR 1-8, and the Minox 1-8. All on the same targets, same day, same ammo. I was shooting with a friend of mine (also a member here, but I will let him decide if he wants to join in). Came up with some very solid conclusions. The NX8 is a bad arse little scope. It's a great CQB, close to mid range scope. Awesome 3Gun scope or work scope that can be pushed out to distance. For the overall size, brightness, reticle, etc. it's probably the best LPV out right now. The ATACR is more of a .308 gas gun scope. It will be a true DMR/SPR scope. Maybe not quite as good inside or in CQB as the NX8, but much better at truly pushing the distance. The footprint is bigger, but so is the picture, the FOV, and the clarity is insane. It's a true DMR scope that can do ok at CQB, and room clearing, but at a trade off in size and weight. The Minox is still a bad ass scope, and glass to glass clarity, FOV, footprint etc., it compares much closer to the ATACR. The "BEST" between the Minox and the ATACR is absolutely going to be reticle based. Whichever one you have, will be the one you probably like. My buddy has 2 NX8's and a Minox, I have 1 NX8, and the ATACR, so we are split on our choices. When I pestered him for a choice between them, he said "I will just get the ATACR and have both."

Keep in mind these are just our thoughts and ideas. If you have the NX8, that doesn't mean you can't stretch it out, and an ATACR will darn sure clear a room. Just putting our perspectives into words.

Hope this makes sense.

Truth is, we live in amazing times right now. The best time ever for top end gear. Looks like it's back to the overtime gigs for me.

In your opinion, what makes the nx8 more suitable for cqb. I would think, based on what I’ve read in this thread, that the larger eye box would lend to being better at cqb. I’ll know for myself soon!

Seems like the atacr would be better for everything except price and weight

In your opinion, what makes the nx8 more suitable for cqb. I would think, based on what I’ve read in this thread, that the larger eye box would lend to being better at cqb. I’ll know for myself soon!

The NX8 is smaller, takes up less real estate, lighter, will be “quicker” on the gun. Faster to drive the gun target to target. I’m not saying the ATACR can’t do this, by any stretch, just that the NX8 feels more nimble. It seriously isn’t much bigger than some of the older Aimpoint Comp M4’s etc. on a 12-16” gun, I think the NX8 is the cats meow. The ATACR belongs on a DMR gun, or a 7.62 gasser. IMHO. F9F3D7D7-95F4-47DF-ABA7-6E662EAC8DCB.png3877450E-0C45-4ADC-A8B7-E07501FD4AF6.png34C8809A-55A8-4113-AEAE-95EADE9C51AE.png95A07FFB-6AFC-4FF0-8815-89F88DAF09B5.png

Reactions: CSTactical
I decided to borrow my buddies NX8 and run it at a carbine match this past weekend. I took 3rd overall but some of issues with the NX8 were still noticeable. I didn't notice it being more "nimble" than any other LPVO's I've ran...but I didn't did notice that on transitions sometimes I would lose the sight picture due to the sensitive of the eye box. This only happened a handful of times but enough to notice and it was frustrating to have to take a split second to realign and re-find the reticle.

I will say this though, damn if this isn't the brightest LPVO I've ever seen. High noon and sun baking a target and the dot was not only visible, but "popped" so to speak. VERY VERY impressed with it's brightness, I relied on the german posts to guide me while transitioning from target to target but the dot was standing out the entire time.

I wanted to give this optic one more chance as I really really want to love it but running it on the clock at a match confirmed what I feared during drills/practice. Granted for the match I was running a Geissele 1.93" mount so it may not be so bad with a 1.5" mount because in theory you'll have a tighter/consistent cheek weld.

Man, that’s a SUPER high mount. That’s a chin weld, not a cheek weld. I seriously bet that the 1.93 was a part of the issue. You can’t get down and set behind the gun/scope. The glass is high enough that you’d be too high for a consistent cheek weld. I’m not saying the scope is or isn’t for you. Certainly that’s not my place, but that isn’t the optimal position for the scope. That high of a mount is for 1) huge objective scopes, or 2) running NVD/gas mask,and wanting/needing a higher scope position due to equipment constraints.
Maybe it would be better in a 1.5 Mount??

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Man, that’s a SUPER high mount. That’s a chin weld, not a cheek weld. I seriously bet that the 1.93 was a part of the issue. You can’t get down and set behind the gun/scope. The glass is high enough that you’d be too high for a consistent cheek weld. I’m not saying the scope is or isn’t for you. Certainly that’s not my place, but that isn’t the optimal position for the scope. That high of a mount is for 1) huge objective scopes, or 2) running NVD/gas mask,and wanting/needing a higher scope position due to equipment constraints.
Maybe it would be better in a 1.5 Mount??
yeah I completely agree. I think a 1.5 would have reduced that issue. However when I previously shot/ran it with a 1.5” mount the eyebox was still noticeable to some extent.

I prefer the Swaro Z6i and Kahles K16i, especially the SM1 reticle. However I’m very apprehensive of their 2yr electronic/10yr warranty.

The only thing with comparable field of view and eyebox is the Razor 1-6, but even the new “E” version is 21oz. Not to mention the .5 moa dot is a little small for my liking.

ATACR is out of price range so I’m leaning towards NX8. Any other options that I’m overlooking? I mostly shoot at 1x so field of view and eyebox sensitivity are important. If anyone has long term useage with a Khales or Swaro I’d love to hear how they’re holding up and if any issues have arisen in terms of durability.

only problem with the ATACR is battery life. accidently left it on about half power for maybe 2 weeks and it was dead
quote from manual "A fresh battery will last approximately 29 hours at the brightest illumination setting. "