• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just want show off how proud I am of my son

tinker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2017
north of philly
He is only 11, on the autism spectrum so VERY recoil sensitive and finally stepped up to .223. He was enjoying his TacSol 10/22 but at 200 he was kinda having to lob them in.

We only have had him shoot out to 200 so far but eventually going to go further but nothing really local.

I know he is jerking the trigger and we still have work to do on his fundamentals but i am happy he finally is ok with the .223. My lightweight AR15 was just a tad too much recoil for him.

He is only 11, on the autism spectrum so VERY recoil sensitive and finally stepped up to .223. He was enjoying his TacSol 10/22 but at 200 he was kinda having to lob them in.

We only have had him shoot out to 200 so far but eventually going to go further but nothing really local.

I know he is jerking the trigger and we still have work to do on his fundamentals but i am happy he finally is ok with the .223. My lightweight AR15 was just a tad too much recoil for him.

Love seeing fathers take their sons and daughters shooting.

My dear friend has a son who is fairly far on the spectrum. Non-verbal but quite smart. I so admire my friend and his wife as they stay engaged with him and treat him like any other kid to the extent they can....as do I.

I don't think he'll ever be shooting....but I may well be wrong on that.

Again, respect to you as a father.

That's awesome! Love the huge smile when he nailed that 200 yarder. That sly grin when he said "maybe" when you asked if he could do it again. 😁

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. He is an awesome kid, heart of gold.

It's mostly the sound but the recoil as well. Without a suppressor he doesn't like shooting much at all, even his tactical solutions he prefers a silencer.

I just can't help but smile when i see that grin.

Thanks for letting me show off :)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. He is an awesome kid, heart of gold.

It's mostly the sound but the recoil as well. Without a suppressor he doesn't like shooting much at all, even his tactical solutions he prefers a silencer.

I just can't help but smile when i see that grin.

Thanks for letting me show off :)
If that isn't a reason to de-NFA firearm suppressors, I don't know what is.

Ern

When I was 10 years old, my second step-father, former Marine Force Recon, taught me how to shoot a .38 Special. We were moving from California to Texas. That was 1974, so, no video.

A few years later, in Boy Scouts, our scoutmaster, a 5th degree black belt in Kenpo Karate who was teaching us scouts for free, taught us how to shoot a 12 ga. This is how I learned to shoot long guns right-handed because I am left-handed. It was a semi-auto shotgun and he did not want me to get creased by an ejected shell.
Still, in 1976 -77, no video.

But I was learning karate and also how to survive off the land. The assistant scout-master was also a US Army Ranger and he brought in his survival instructor to tell us about what plants to eat, how to make things with just a knife, etc. Cool stuff. The assistant scout-master also taught us parade drill with the toe and heel about face, etc. It stuck with me.

Years later, I was at the trial of a guy who had murdered my friend. At that time, in the Dallas County Courthouse, you could smoke in the stairwells and I would go there for a smoke break. And pace back and forth. 4 steps, toe and heel, 4 steps, toe and heel. It was relaxing. There was a guy in there also having a cig break. He asked, "Were you in the military?"

"Not quite," I sald. "An assistant scout master who was a Ranger."

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Major respect for teaching the finer things! I taught my boys to shoot when they were young people. Now they are grown and have both used weapons to stop robberies.

Reactions: tinker
Is it the recoil that bothers him? Or the noise?

I took an autistic kid shooting for the first time around three years ago. He wasn't interested until I broke out the suppressor.

Now he shoots like a badass.

Food for thought....
Lots of diffrent hypersentivities can pop up with ASD. Just have to keep trying gstuff until you find a work around or coping mechanism as they call it, like you did.

I was watching part of a UCLA video on autism earlier. They were talking to a guy with ASD living completely independently. He said at 12 and at 30 he never thought it was possible.