• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Justification for rise in gas prices? AKA cover for bad policy...?

Manhattan Beach. Been this way since January.
IMG_3888.jpg

Reactions: MarinePMI
Just got back from a week trip in Deadwood, S.D.. Paid $3.28-$3.48 per for Premium.
F'n commies. Mac:censored:

Just got back from a week trip in Deadwood, S.D.. Paid $3.28-$3.48 per for Premium.
F'n commies. Mac:censored:
Deadwood/Lead is always high prices for gasoline, an easy 20% more than Spearfish or Rapid. Premium in that area is also typically non-ethanol for the bikers, and that is always a higher cost because it isn't watered down with alcohol. I live in the Black Hills area and will tell you I'm paying $2.40 for 87 octane with ethanol. The little I pay attention to premium, honestly never buy it as I have nothing that gets any benefit from it, shows me one station to another can vary up to $.50/gal easy and is never advertised on their boards. Mostly right now nationwide gas prices are on the rise leading summer travel season, it happens every single year but we will see it more this year with all the cabin fever relief travel happening.

The Colonial Pipeline has a massive effect on east coast gasoline prices, and is why fuel along the eastern seaboard is so cheap despite there being extremely little oil assets and refineries in the area. That their system got taken down by a ransomware attack is stunning, as it is every bit as critical infrastructure as the main power grid. We will never learn to take these infrastructure controlling systems offline and independent of the rest of the networks, and this shit will just continue to happen over and over because Big Tech selling this weak shit tells us and the companies in control of our infrastructures that they are safe and tested, and we can and should trust them.

Sound familiar?

Damn. Guess I shouldn’t complain but we are up 1.20$ from December. I paid 3.199/gal for 93 octane at Sams this afternoon. Not real fun with a couple large LS engines in the garage.

Reactions: T-TurtleWang
2.89gal for diesel here. Cheaper than gas thank god.

Doc

Reactions: Stevo86
87/10% was $2.70 last time I fueled up earlier in the week.

I live between several refineries, I only see little spikes when both are down at the same time. We have a storage and loadout facility 30 miles from town, so there is minimal trucking involved.

We are going to see more and more of this. First shortage of tanker drivers, now cyber attack and be prepared for the "seasonal" shut down of refineries for change to summer blend/"maintenance".

Oh, hurricanes, climate change induced hurricanes.

Reactions: nikonNUT
If an increase in fuel prices are the only major effects of a cyber attack on critical infrastructure, we should consider ourselves very lucky.

Next time, when a similar attack targets the power grid, or a large water treatment plant, or a few regional grocery distribution centers, or any number of other pieces of critical infrastructure, it probably won't be quite as amusing.

All part of the plan. Promote policies that make fossil fuel prices rise to the point where green energy 'appears' to be the more viable option. These folks are not stupid, just devious.

For some it'll be quite amusing.
If an increase in fuel prices are the only major effects of a cyber attack on critical infrastructure, we should consider ourselves very lucky.

Next time, when a similar attack targets the power grid, or a large water treatment plant, or a few regional grocery distribution centers, or any number of other pieces of critical infrastructure, it probably won't be quite as amusing.
Watching what civilization will do to itself when a luxury is taken away.
That's if you want to call living in a concrete jungle civilization

Gas here was $2.20 when Trump left office and now it's $2.99 and rising.

Gas has continued to increase every week in my area, but 1 saving grace is Costco. They are always 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper than all other gas stations. My wife just filled up with premium gas and it was the same price as regular gas at any conventional gas station.

Reports also show that it's a quality gas.

It's $2.60/gal or higher for 87 here in E TN. In Jan it was around $2.10/gal, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It just hurts a bit more when I fill up that 36gal tank on the truck.

It's $2.60/gal or higher for 87 here in E TN. In Jan it was around $2.10/gal, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It just hurts a bit more when I fill up that 36gal tank on the truck.

Yep, 36 gallon tank in a truck that demands high test gas. I usually don't let it get below a half of a tank. I am thinking of having a 1500 gallon tank installed at the homestead. Buy once, cry once, or at least every 3-4 months.

Wife's car demands high test too. Turbo charged 4 cylinder but need high test gas.

EDIT: This post shows how old I am. I don't think anyone but old cooters like me call it high test anymore. It's premium for all the youngins today.

I agree but I think you are missing the main thing I’m implying. Someone above gets it.

I doubt we will ever know the true people behind the cyber attack but I am going out on a limb and saying it was done by the same folks behind Biden.

Deadwood/Lead is always high prices for gasoline, an easy 20% more than Spearfish or Rapid. Premium in that area is also typically non-ethanol for the bikers, and that is always a higher cost because it isn't watered down with alcohol. I live in the Black Hills area and will tell you I'm paying $2.40 for 87 octane with ethanol. The little I pay attention to premium, honestly never buy it as I have nothing that gets any benefit from it, shows me one station to another can vary up to $.50/gal easy and is never advertised on their boards. Mostly right now nationwide gas prices are on the rise leading summer travel season, it happens every single year but we will see it more this year with all the cabin fever relief travel happening.

The Colonial Pipeline has a massive effect on east coast gasoline prices, and is why fuel along the eastern seaboard is so cheap despite there being extremely little oil assets and refineries in the area. That their system got taken down by a ransomware attack is stunning, as it is every bit as critical infrastructure as the main power grid. We will never learn to take these infrastructure controlling systems offline and independent of the rest of the networks, and this shit will just continue to happen over and over because Big Tech selling this weak shit tells us and the companies in control of our infrastructures that they are safe and tested, and we can and should trust them.

Sound familiar?
2.85 in Sturgis, Rapid City and Spearfish yesterday

They got the city of Atlanta for several million dollars. Also multiple corporations have had to pay up for these attacks of ransom wear.
Eco terrorists? Probably not. Foreign govt? Or just the same rich uncle in Kenya that says he's got money for you.

Yep, 36 gallon tank in a truck that demands high test gas. I usually don't let it get below a half of a tank. I am thinking of having a 1500 gallon tank installed at the homestead. Buy once, cry once, or at least every 3-4 months.

Wife's car demands high test too. Turbo charged 4 cylinder but need high test gas.

EDIT: This post shows how old I am. I don't think anyone but old cooters like me call it high test anymore. It's premium for all the youngins today.
That's ok. Have a feeling quite a few, besides myself, can relate.

Only time I use "high test" or premium for the youngins', is when towing the TT. F150 w/ 3.5EB (twin turbos).

I agree but I think you are missing the main thing I’m implying. Someone above gets it.

No, I get exactly what you're implying; I just don't think it's a great working hypothesis.

Meanwhile:

Considering the existing shortage of drivers, any plan that attempts to address the looming shortage by using tanker trucks is not promising.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
No, I get exactly what you're implying; I just don't think it's a great working hypothesis.

Meanwhile:

Considering the existing shortage of drivers, any plan that attempts to address the looming shortage by using tanker trucks is not promising.

Word is, some company is paying $14k a week for drivers out west. Not sure if that’s true or not but that’s what my dad told me this afternoon! Not sure how they can afford that as a company lol but hey...

My buddy drives a truck. He was talking about it, not enough drivers. It's not just the fuel either.

Go look at fucking lumber prices. Holy fucking shit... Said house prices rose 30% in materials cost ALONE. I just started work on the rear soffit. Yep, almost exactly 30% more than last year.

Reactions: Changed
lol they are going to screw you one way or another no way around that . Just sleep well knowing that your pro communist government is wasting your tax dollars (aka giving it way like they stole it look at that they did steal it , they did ) And one way or another you will give them more to repeat the process every day until you die.

• Angry
Only time I use "high test" or premium for the youngins', is when towing the TT. F150 w/ 3.5EB (twin turbos).
i have two f150 6cylinders work trucks, what is the deal with the valves on reg unleaded?

Meanwhile:

But but but pipelines are unsafe and bad for the environment.....the safe way to move fuel and oil is a tanker truck carrying several thousand gallons of it at 80MPH down the interstate driven by Billy Bob going on four hours of sleep while using his smart phone to see if his govt stimulus money finally hit his account.

When the pipeline is run by Colonial , that just might be the case, they currently have one of the largest oil spills in US ongoing and you never even heard of it. Hacker attack might just change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jr81452
i have two f150 6cylinders work trucks, what is the deal with the valves on reg unleaded?

i have no input on this as im not a Ford guy, but for years conventional wisdom has been that if you are pulling heavy and towing with your gas engine truck, Premium fuel ( 91-93 octane) can help get your best gas mileage and keep any pinging or spark knock from happening.

Reactions: BullGear
Word is, some company is paying $14k a week for drivers out west. Not sure if that’s true or not but that’s what my dad told me this afternoon! Not sure how they can afford that as a company lol but hey...
My company is paying me huge money right now because of the shortage so
I don't doubt the 14k a week but I believe that is going to be for owner- operators. By the time they pay expenses there going to be slightly ahead of the company drivers . Right now hauling a tanker and hazmat is the place to be and I'm riding this Gravy train for all its worth .

Back in the day owner- operator was the way to go cause you could make better money than company drivers but that changed when Obama came along and deisel went to $4 a gal . A shitload of owner operators went broke . Then trump came along and falling gas prices ment game on again . Now comes the repeat and as prices rise and will be even higher than before you will see those guys go the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited:
Huntersville leak.
"1.2 MILLION!!!" SCARY!
Its a real shame folks don't have the same concept of being 40+ TRILLION!!! in debt.

1.2 million gallons......lemme see....use some old wastewater math.....
Screenshot_20210510-164045_Calculator.jpg

Yeah. Itll fit inside a Dollar General parking lot.
Really scary scary.

Paid $5.49 last week for premium. An out of the way location where prices normally run a bit higher.

All the bitching aside, we still have far cheaper gas than much of the world outside of regions with significant oil production (middle east, russia, etc.). When I was working in Europe gas was generally 50% higher there and I talked to a friend in the Netherlands recently where gas is the equivalent of USD $7 - $8 per gallon .

The disparity between US states is mostly due to fuel taxes that theoretically are for road maintenance and improvements but with the push for infrastructure improvements I expect fuel taxes - and prices - will rise substantially.

Paid $5.49 last week for premium. An out of the way location where prices normally run a bit higher.

All the bitching aside, we still have far cheaper gas than much of the world outside of regions with significant oil production (middle east, russia, etc.). When I was working in Europe gas was generally 50% higher there and I talked to a friend in the Netherlands recently where gas is the equivalent of USD $7 - $8 per gallon .

The disparity between US states is mostly due to fuel taxes that theoretically are for road maintenance and improvements but with the push for infrastructure improvements I expect fuel taxes - and prices - will rise substantially.
It's well beyond just fuel taxes. Your high cost at a remote station is a great example of delivery costs plus lack of competition, they can charge what they want and people will still pay it because it's the only game in the area. In Wyoming, I see this quite often as most towns have one or two stations, and those two stations will match each rise the other makes.

Then you have locality to refineries. Places like the western Gulf coast always have at or very near national low prices, because hazmat/doubles/tank rated drivers make justifiably good money.

And then there's the hidden shit, beyond fuel taxes. Let's take the Gas Buddy heat map:

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 17.21.52.jpg

You can clearly see many state lines there, ones you would think means the "who's who" of state based fuel taxes. Yet NM has lower fuel taxes than TX does, as well as lower sales tax, and is right off the Permian Basin, but we can easily see the state lines between the two. Colorado is a major producer in both crude and refined gasoline, has a similar fuel tax and lower sales tax than both NM and Texas, yet we see their state line pretty clearly as well. Clearly there's more to it than fuel taxes.

BTW, nobody taxes fuel as much as PA does, rate wise anyhow.

And then there's California and their own Cap and Trade program really driving up the cost of fuel to MAKE you not just want that hybrid or EV, but to NEED those cars. And all that was passed on the guise of "We're going to charge these oil companies for messing up our air, MAKE THEM PAY!!!", but we all know who it is paying for those programs, and who is getting the money from those taxes. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...-in-taxes-and-fees-for-gasoline-in-california

ETA: Doesn't that heat map make Cali look like the virus it is?

Reactions: Herb Stoner

True that , huge taxes on fuel in Europe (European Union requires EU countries to levy a minimum excise duty of US $1.53 per gallon) most of is in 5.4-7 USD/gallon price range right now but Euro folk also drive smaller cars( VW Golf vs F150 as the most popular car) , run more diesel cars ,and drive shorter distances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herb Stoner
It's well beyond just fuel taxes. Your high cost at a remote station is a great example of delivery costs plus lack of competition, they can charge what they want and people will still pay it because it's the only game in the area. In Wyoming, I see this quite often as most towns have one or two stations, and those two stations will match each rise the other makes.

Then you have locality to refineries. Places like the western Gulf coast always have at or very near national low prices, because hazmat/doubles/tank rated drivers make justifiably good money.

And then there's the hidden shit, beyond fuel taxes. Let's take the Gas Buddy heat map:

View attachment 7622459

You can clearly see many state lines there, ones you would think means the "who's who" of state based fuel taxes. Yet NM has lower fuel taxes than TX does, as well as lower sales tax, and is right off the Permian Basin, but we can easily see the state lines between the two. Colorado is a major producer in both crude and refined gasoline, has a similar fuel tax and lower sales tax than both NM and Texas, yet we see their state line pretty clearly as well. Clearly there's more to it than fuel taxes.

BTW, nobody taxes fuel as much as PA does, rate wise anyhow.

And then there's California and their own Cap and Trade program really driving up the cost of fuel to MAKE you not just want that hybrid or EV, but to NEED those cars. And all that was passed on the guise of "We're going to charge these oil companies for messing up our air, MAKE THEM PAY!!!", but we all know who it is paying for those programs, and who is getting the money from those taxes. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...-in-taxes-and-fees-for-gasoline-in-california

ETA: Doesn't that heat map make Cali look like the virus it is?
Good read - thanks! Not surprising though.

For all its faults SoCal did clean up air pollution back in the 60s, 70s and 80s but I'm not sure what the current results of cap & trade are on actual cleaner air. It was brutal when I was a kid - it literally hurt to breathe at times and mostly couldnt see the 10,000+ foot mountain range less than 10 miles away in the summer months.

When we moved to SLC we were really taken back by the horrible air quality - the inversions in the winter are pretty bad. I'm not a fan of much regulation at all but I wish Utah would take a few small steps to clean the place up being all pro-family and pro-kids and all that.

True that , huge taxes on fuel in Europe (European Union requires EU countries to levy a minimum excise duty of US $1.53 per gallon) most of US in 5.4-7 USD/gallon price range right now but Euro folk also drive smaller cars( VW Golf vs F150 as the most popular car) , run more diesel cars ,and drive shorter distances.
I had a diesel golf for a while - great car for negotiating tight streets in the old cities. Big cars just aren't a thing there and "pick-ups" are almost non existent. Germans like bigger cars though so you'd see large mercs and Jeep cherokees, for example, more often. Later I got an Audi A6 which was a very large car by local standards where I was (Swiss / Italian border).