• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

K98 Bullet diameter .318 vs .323

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
OK How do I know which diameter bullet my K98 has?

Step-dad noted that the reloading manual makes a HUGE point to verify this...

Re: K98 Bullet diameter .318 vs .323

That answers the question, mine is a 1942 - same as my Springfield 03
smile.gif

Arctic - For your 98k you need the IS....0.32"

LCJones has already given you the link to the wiki page on the 8mmx57

It is also worth noting pre-war and up to some time in 1942 it was normal practice for the manufacturer to stamp the actual calibre of the barrel on the ring to indicate the land to land diametre of the bore. There were often minute variations (we're talking about 100th's of a milimeter - from 7.90 to 7.93

Privi do an FMJ 198Gr and Sierra do a 200Gr SMK that I've used with decent results if you're using the rifle for target shooting.

LCJones and BasraBoy are correct.

Also, if you buy certain American commercial ammo, it's possible that the bullets may be .318 and loaded to a much lower pressure than military or European ammo. This is, of course, to limit the possible liability in someone running their ammo through a Gewehr '88, or some other antique.

Ya step-dad said commercial ammo will probably be low pressure .318

I guess I need to get some 200gr bullets and have him do me up a batch....

53 grs of IMR4350 and a 200gr HPBT Sierra is a very good combo.

To my knowledge there is no commercial made (U.S. Made at least) 8x57 ammo with .318 bullets out there. The last time I saw a box of bullets for reloading that where .318 was around 10 years ago and the box itself was like 30 years old.

All U.S. made ammo is loaded to the lower pressure rounds. It's like around 35,000. The European loaded ammo though is loaded to 49,500.

US makers are concerned that someone will have a really old gun (not a 98etc..) that doesn't have 3rd safety lug on the bolt or soft receivers etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Consider yourself lucky.

I'm trying to restore a Mannlicher-Schoenauer witch was 8X51 or 8mmK, which was a mauser hunting round.

It was a .318. I'm limited on barrels and bullets. I got the reamer built, but don't let the 8X51 fool you, 308 head space gages wont work either, so I got bucks sunk into a reamer, go and no go gages for one time use. All to give me a rifle that will probley be worth less then $500.

PO Ackley did some experimenting with oversized bullets when this 318/323 hoopla all started. What he found was no pressure problems as long as the chamber neck was large enough to release the bullet.
I have read (I think Olsen's book) when the blockheads made the change to 323 diameter, they neck reamed the chambers on the good 318s so there wouldn't be pressure problems.