• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dvando20

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST! Need thoughts!
I purchased a brand new Knights Armament M110 one piece 30mm scope mount for my AR10. I bought it from Kosher Surplus. It came brand new in the Knights box. Today I was finally mounting up my scope, and using the KAC directions to a T, the first screw head stripped right out with a brand new 3/32" bit with the Wheeler torque driver set at 20in/lb (KAC spec). I started noticing that the bit did not fit very deep into the screw head. So i tried multiple other bits on the other screws and they all seem to sit very shallow in the screw head. I torqued a few more and they all seemed like they were about to strip (had to back turn the driver to get the allen bit out) And for how easy they were stripping, it seems like the metal is way too soft for the abuse they are meant to withstand. I don't see how something like a KAC mount would have an issue like this soo easily. Any thoughts? Could it be just a bad batch? Did I get ripped off with an airsoft fake? Pics of the mount and stripped screw are attached to post.

Attachments

• 20210912_184352.jpg
    20210912_184352.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20210913_215926.jpg
    20210913_215926.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 20210913_215855.jpg
    20210913_215855.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 20210417_190431.jpg
    20210417_190431.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 198
I ran into the same thing as you on a couple KAC 30mm and 34mm mounts I bought 7-10 years ago. I eventually replaced them with some similar sized fasteners with better specs that I got from McMaster Carr. I think the screws are really soft material.

Reactions: Dvando20
My Mk11 has a KAC mount that came with fasteners using two different hex head sizes. FWIW, yours is prob real but KAC is cheaping out on the hardware on these mounts.

Give them a call and see if they will send you a set of workable fasteners for the mount

I ran into the same thing as you on a couple KAC 30mm and 34mm mounts I bought 7-10 years ago. I eventually replaced them with some similar sized fasteners with better specs that I got from McMaster Carr. I think the screws are really soft material.
Pheww. I am glad I am not the only one. I used the holy "google" and saw that there were licensed $50 replicas for airsoft. I was worried I paid $300 for a fake lol

My Mk11 has a KAC mount that came with fasteners using two different hex head sizes. FWIW, yours is prob real but KAC is cheaping out on the hardware on these mounts.

Give them a call and see if they will send you a set of workable fasteners for the mount
I Emailed them as soon as it happened. They are working on it. I was just worried I got an airsoft knock off. There are $50 licensed replicas online that i found. They look legit for 1/7 the price lol

@bad107 is on here representing kosher surplus. I doubt they would sell knock offs so you are good there 👍🏻
Good to know! They had the best price around and quick shipping. I was very happy with their service. But i had no prior experience with them so it was a shot in the dark for me. Also, never know when a well made fake might slip through the cracks unintentionally. But glad to hear good feedback!

I had the exact same thing happen.

Those screws they use are shit.

It's only slightly less shit as to when you call them and they tell you that they want like $45 for 8 screws.

I started noticing that the bit did not fit very deep into the screw head. So i tried multiple other bits on the other screws and they all seem to sit very shallow in the screw head.

Are they quality bits? I occasionally need to tap my Allen wrenches into tight socket head caps screws; some cheap bits, Bondhus t-handles mostly, and Wiha bits in my toolbox. I stripped a screw on an accessory recently because the Bondhus Allen wrench wasn’t seated properly.

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve seen shit screws on KAC whereas I’ve received plenty of others with YFS fasteners.

Are they quality bits? I occasionally need to tap my Allen wrenches into tight socket head caps screws; some cheap bits, Bondhus t-handles mostly, and Wiha bits in my toolbox. I stripped a screw on an accessory recently because the Bondhus Allen wrench wasn’t seated properly.

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve seen shit screws on KAC whereas I’ve received plenty of others with YFS fasteners.
I use mainly Wheeler bits. Never had any issues with them before, minus a broken torx here and there.

My experience has always been that their hardware wasn't great on the mounts, all the way back to at least 2003. I have a box of screws from Fastenal to replace them with, anything that crosses my path I just DX them. The mounts are great...the screws not so much.

My experience has always been that their hardware wasn't great on the mounts, all the way back to at least 2003. I have a box of screws from Fastenal to replace them with, anything that crosses my path I just DX them. The mounts are great...the screws not so much.
Fastenal has a better screw to same dimensions that don't require modifications?

Yeah, at least they did. I use a socket head, not the low socket that comes with them.

I'll dig them out at some point when I get home, they're still in the original box so it should be marked.

Yeah, at least they did. I use a socket head, not the low socket that comes with them.

I'll dig them out at some point when I get home, they're still in the original box so it should be marked.
That would be awesome. As much as I don't like retro fitting things that are designed to a spec, this is something I don't want falling apart.

I love KAC stuff but the screws they ship with mounts are terrible. Had the exact same problem OP.

With so many good mount options out there, why deal with it?
I do not beleive I can return it and I don't have funds to just throw around at different mounts. I have had this one for a few months and just got around to mounting it up the other day. I was hoping the products from a company like KAC with it's reputation would be a lot more durable.

I love KAC stuff but the screws they ship with mounts are terrible. Had the exact same problem OP.
No issues with the pic rail clamp or the mount itself though? Just want to make sure it's only a screw issue and not the whole thing.

The mounts are great, it’s just the ring screws that could use an update

No issues with the pic rail clamp or the mount itself though? Just want to make sure it's only a screw issue and not the whole thing.
Nope, the mount was great when I had it, the screws just suck. A vendor on AR15 used to carry specific replacement screw for it but he closed up shop a while back. Probably not hard to source decent ones either way.

Update: KAC sent me 3 new screws and I ordered another brand new 3/32" Wheeler bit. Replaced 1 screw that completely stripped and 2 that were close to stripping. In the process stripped a 4th screw at 20in/lb... definetly need a better replacement screw.
20210921_162433.jpg

Reactions: adavis1138
Final update. Found a a better replacement screw at the hardware store. For anybody wondering, it's a Midwest Fastener 10-24x1/2" Black Oxide Allen socket screw with a 5/32" allen head. Part# 6360622. The screw head is the same diameter as the KAC screw, just a bit taller (deeper allen socket). Clean swap out with no issues.
20210930_224735.jpg

Reactions: BeckOlu