• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC SR-15E3 IWS Mod1

DeSnifter

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
Does anyone have experience with this particular rifle? I currently have an LWRC SPR Mod 0 I would most likely trade in towards the knights. I am a big fan of the ambi lower and I like that it has a forend similar to the SPR, while being a little over a half pound lighter. Also, how is the recoil and balance on these rifles? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if cerakote or hydrodip voids the knights warranty? Twice now I've emailed the commercial sales person with no reply.

Re: KAC SR-15E3 IWS Mod1

one of the best go to guys for questions and he is really great about getting back to people is Kevin Boland.....here is his email address: [email protected]

Also my 2 cents is awesome company and awesome people!

Had one for a while my buddy has had his for close to 3 years.

As a production gun goes thats about the top of the pile. I prefer to build my AR's otherwise I would probably have kept it.

Very soft shooting rifle not that any 5.56 is uncontolably by any stretch just that the KAC's have their recoil tuned to a degree that makes transitioning between targets very managable.

Accuracy is better than expected from a production rifle built with actual combat in mind (read CL barrel). A Naoveske will shoot a tad better but you are not really comparing apples to apples with the Noveske SS barrel and the KAC CL.

While I think the all ambiness is cool I felt like it did more harm than good when using a rifle at work drawn from the armory, that is to say I beleive in developing muscle memory over adding features not found on 99.9% of every other AR in the free world. I ended up forgetting the ambi controls were there so I cant say I found a need for them. If I were a lefty I'm positive my thoughts would be much different.

I have one sitting in the safe next to a couple Colts. You can't buy a better carbine at any price. It is a dream to shoot. I am no LWRC fan or fan of similar operating systems. You will be glad you got rid of that boat anchor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have experience with this particular rifle? I currently have an LWRC SPR Mod 0 I would most likely trade in towards the knights. I am a big fan of the ambi lower and I like that it has a forend similar to the SPR, while being a little over a half pound lighter. Also, how is the recoil and balance on these rifles? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if cerakote or hydrodip voids the knights warranty? Twice now I've emailed the commercial sales person with no reply.</div></div>

yeah, Id like to know how this rifle would compare to the LMT CQB! would it be worth going the KAC route if its a little more coin?

I love mine. Its light and the transitions are fast. The URX rail is amazingly light for what it is. I put a Triple Tap on my rifle and the recoil is very very linear with almost no muzzle flip. You won't be disappointed.

If you get one, for good measure shoot about 300 hotter 5.56 rounds through it just to "wear" it in. Knights has fixed the gas port issue with firing weaker ammo such as PMC and the likes, but it never hurts.

not sure what the "mod1" is, but the E3 IWS with a triple tap brake has been my go-to carbine since they first came out. it has pros/cons like anything else, but if you want the features, it's the only game in town.

the special run stuff they did with magpul with the ultra-light upper that has the built-in rear BUIS and their new urx3 light rail are pretty cool.

their ambi controls are a little better than the POF/magpul version. I don't much care for the KAC trigger... but i don't dislike it enough to replace it. (just comparing it to geissele)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
yeah, Id like to know how this rifle would compare to the LMT CQB! would it be worth going the KAC route if its a little more coin? </div></div>

Not really a fair comparison. LMT CQB MRP is designed around the MRP function and as such you have many more options in regards to how its configured. You could go from SBR in 5.45 to 16" in .50 beowolf with little more than a wrench. KAC will limit you to how it is configured from the factory unless you care to spend 800.00 on proprietary KAC tools and fixtures.

Both will serve a person equally well just depends on what features are critical to you and which one you can go without.

Some guys have the E-3 lowers with MRP uppers so that may just be the way to answer that question
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m_gale</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am no LWRC fan or fan of similar operating systems. You will be glad you rid of that boat anchor... </div></div>

I'm sure the KAC is nice, as they have a good reputation.

However, this fella is full of crap. I own several LWRC products, including the SPR, and they are excellent machines. Many rounds through them since 2009, with no problems, moa accuracy, suppressed full time, and smooth as silk. I don't think you'd be taking a step down in quality to go to a KAC...but you durn sure aren't taking a step up.

So far I like what I have been reading about this rifle. I do really like the ambidextrous controls on the Knight's as opposed to using a BAD lever on the LWRC. I think my LWRC is a fantastic rifle, but for a very similar rifle, the appeal of weighing more than half a pound less is definitely there with the knight's. Is there any major benefit towards going with the triple tap vs. a surefire or AAC brake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is there any major benefit towards going with the triple tap vs. a surefire or AAC brake? </div></div>

It makes all of the Costa fanboys wet. Save the coin and get a Battle Comp.

I'm buying one in the next few weeks. Everything I have read in the last two years has said extremely positive things about these rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is there any major benefit towards going with the triple tap vs. a surefire or AAC brake? </div></div>

It makes all of the Costa fanboys wet. Save the coin and get a Battle Comp. </div></div>Depends on what can you want.

I would be using it purely as a brake. No plans for a 556 can in the future as I am saving for a 308 surefire for a Black Ops SPECTER BABR. It seems like the battle comp does the exact same thing the knights one does.

If its purely for a brake then a battle comp is probably your best bet.

Good luck with your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is there any major benefit towards going with the triple tap vs. a surefire or AAC brake? </div></div>

It makes all of the Costa fanboys wet. Save the coin and get a Battle Comp. </div></div>

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

If I had not been given a Triple Tap, I would have gone the Battlecomp 1.0 and never looked back.

Anyone know what the discount is for law enforcement through Lawmen?

Or best deal around. Actually looking at the taupe version just to have something different.

I talked with one of the guys at Knight's. They are planning to offer the mod1 in taupe sometime later in the year. Additionally for anyone looking to have theirs cerakoted or dipped. The second you have the rifle disassembled by anyone other than knights (for coating) is the second that it is no longer covered by their warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love mine. Its light and the transitions are fast. The URX rail is amazingly light for what it is. I put a Triple Tap on my rifle and the recoil is very very linear with almost no muzzle flip. You won't be disappointed.</div></div>

+1 with the above post. I've owned my SR-15 since January and have easily shot 5,000 rounds without a hiccup. The Tripple Tap compensator really works as advertised, greatly reducing muzzle movement. I could not be happier with this weapon.