• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

KAC SR-25 flash hider removal?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Anyone ever deal with this? KAC must use a whole bottle of Rockset, as my flash hider is impossible to remove. I have a sturdy barrel vise, and I can't generate enough clamping force to spin the flash hider off.

Any suggestions? I know heat isn't the key, as rockset is head resistant. I have heard of soaking in water over night, but I'm not sure if that is safe with a non stainless, non chrome lined barrel.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Bob

It is resistant but I have used a 2 setting heat gun on high to remove parts before. Not a KAC fh, tho, so good luck. I am dang anxious for pics/range reports and this mams brake!

I've heard that the trick with Rocksett is to "shock" it with a good smack from a delrin hammer or a block of wood. It's worked for me in the past when swapping AAC mounts.

Soaking in water will not help. I haven't tried it on my EMC yet....but a few taps with a hammer on the side of the flash hider will loosen the rockset and make removal easy.

The "hammer to the flash hider" trick worked.

I took a multi prong approach. First, I fitted a set of bushings that more closely matched the smaller diameter of the SR-25 barrel. Next, I secured it in my vise with a thin layer of rosin to help secure it. I tightened my vise down as tight as I could.
20130520_100119_zpsd4c6ae83.jpg

You can also see the label and mark I attached to use as a reference for top dead center, as the vise obscured the gas block. The next step was a firm hit at the end of the flash hider with a framing hammer, as well as a couple hits at the collar. This time the flash hider came right off.
20130520_100618_zps58e70861.jpg

I then cleaned the threads up with acetone and a zinc brush. You can see the discoloration on the label from the torch I had tried last night.
20130520_101352_zps085e94db.jpg

Finally, the MAMS goes on, and I got really lucky- the brake timed perfectly with no timing shims required. The brake threads over more of the barrel than the flash hider, so i had to put a new index label on and remove the first one. I applied a healthy portion of Rockset, then torqued the brake on.

Finished product, all cleaned up and ready to go:
20130520_102320_zps2a4196b2.jpg

My KAC 34mm mount came in the same package as well as my single hole URX 3.1 handstop. Scope will be here tomorrow, pics and official range report on Thursday!

Glad it worked out and you got it timed without issue. If you ever need the barrel tool for KAC let me know as I have one for mine.

Should've asked you to fire it with the FH first then the MAMS to see the difference.