• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles Optics Info and Updates Thread

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Gentlemen.

I just wanted to start a thread to help answer any questions you might have on Kahles scopes. I know there isnt a ton of info out there on them due to being relatively new to the US market. Im going to just bullet off a few things that may be good information if you dont know much about their products.

If you have any questions about features or are interested in buying one, feel free to call me or better yet email me anytime. I normally respond to emails within a few minutes. I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge, and if I dont know the answer I will find out for you.

EMAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 419. FIVE ZERO NINE . 0374 you can also text me if you want.

- Check out WWW.KAHLESUSA.COM if you haven't in awhile. I know their website was severely lacking for awhile, but they are constantly updating it, and I think it has come a long way since last year.

- Check out WWW.KAHLES.AREA419.COM also for info I have on their tactical lineup, I am trying to update all the pages with some extra info/images to help out (bear with me, I do my own site work...).

- I am running a promotion right now to receive a free set of American Rifle Company M10 scope rings with your K312 or K624 purchase. These are the best rings you can possibly pair with your scope. They have a clamping pressure far higher than any other ring on the market, yet it is evenly distributed around the tube instead of having huge pressure points at the ring halves like traditional rings which can damage a tube if not properly installed. Ive mounted a scope in these rings before and only snugged the clamp screw using the small end of the wrench for leverage, maybe 5 in-lb, took it out and shot it and it kept zero perfectly. The biggest bonus too, NO RING MARKS WHATSOEVER! Check them out at WWW.AMERICANRIFLE.COM

- Keep an eye out for new products coming out later this year, I don't even know what all they are yet, but I'm told there is some exciting stuff coming down the pipeline. I do know there should be some new reticles available for at least the 6-24 soon, with an all MOA scope being one of them.

- Kahles scopes have been tested up and down now by independents, their turret tracking has been shown to be perfect. Reticle subtension has also been proven to be perfect in all magnification ranges. The scope layout has also become the most popular for tactical match shooters, having the parallax under the elevation turret just plain makes sense. You adjust your elevation, move down a half inch and adjust your parallax to the range you are shooting.

- On the parallax adjustment. This is another feature that has been tested and proven to be extremely accurate. By that, I mean, you can pretty much guarantee that if you know your range and set the parallax to that number, that you will be parallax free. No guessing between 500 and infinity in 20 degrees of rotation like other scopes.

- If you have not felt the turrets on a Kahles you really should. They are about the perfect combination of stiffness along with crisp and tactile clicks. These turrets wont accidentally rotate when carrying. The clicks are close together, but that is impossible to avoid with having the extreme convenience of 13 mils per revolution. Even being that close together though, you can 100% feel every single click with ultimate precision.

- If you ever wondered what the little red dot is on the top of a Kahles elevation turret, it is your second revolution indicator. No lines under the turret to try and figure out where you are at. As soon as you hit your second rev, the red dot pops up and is a tactile and visual indicator that you are at 14 and up mils.

- No need to buy an expensive "cat tail" for the magnification ring. The Kahles has a perfect size one built right in for quick and precise magnification changes.

- Few feature changes that went under the radar on the K624i models:

1. Parallax adjustment wheel no longer has detents and also now requires less torque to turn. The latter came after feedback that the adjustment was too stiff. The former, well, basically no one liked the detents.

2. Diopter adjustment now requires significantly more torque to turn. This also came after hearing feedback from you guys.

3. AMR reticle scopes no longer have the DTA logo on the right side of the eyepiece.

Talking about the AMR, if you are a fan of Horus style reticles with windage holds, this is the best out there. Its not near as cluttered as a Horus, so it doesnt obstruct your field of view, however when you need to use it, it is very convenient. Even if you dont use it for holding very often, it is great to have the scale down there for spotting misses. You dont have to guess where your miss is, just put the crosshairs back on the target and measure with the tree. The .2 hash marks are excellent for holding more precise wind holds when you dial your elevation. And probably my favorite part of the reticle is the actual crosshair, the super fine floating dot is great for when you want to shoot precise groups, yet the complete crosshair area is noticeable enough for shooting steel or other quicker pace engagements.

Ive posted a few pictures in the post below to really show what this reticle looks like. The PDF you see on the site just does not do it justice, it makes it look far more cluttered than it really is.

Im sure there is more, I will update this thread with more information as I think of it, and when I hear about upcoming products. And again, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Regards,

Jon Addis
Area 419 Firearms
WWW.AREA419.COM

Last edited:
Keep in mind these pictures were taken with a Galaxy S3 freehand.

24X

jybata4e.jpg

6X
gyje9uqa.jpg

24X
yregazu9.jpg

12X'ISH
8ugehe4a.jpg

sytuquqy.jpg

Sent from my GS5 on Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kahles Optics Info and Updates Thread

Thanks Jon. Kahles is on my list. Any way you can get some good photos of the turrets and the parallax? Also any MSR reticle photos would be nice too.

Edit....Nevermind on the turrets - I see nice photos on your website. Would still love to see MSR through the glass at different mag levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sales pitch from guy selling said products............what could go wrong?

Cobra, How did you get off my ignore list? Glad to see you have tons of insight to add...as always!

I love that reticle Jon, especially that you labeled each line!

Please tell your designers to make the parallax start at 10Y. Doing so will give a bunch of rimfire and air rifle shooters that would utilize this feature another company to purchase from.

Got one of the K624i AMR scopes a few months ago; mounted it on my 6x47L and have had nothing but good experiences with it since. Love the reticle, the knobs & clicks, the location & operation of the parallax ring, and last but certainly not least - the glass. Tracking & repeatability is excellent. The only downside I can think of is wanting another one badly enough to sell a rifle in order to get it.

Attachments

• DSC_0894.JPG
    DSC_0894.JPG
    769.4 KB · Views: 17
So remind us all how sales people are supposed to sell if they're not selling?

In the........SALES section.

It's one thing to showcase a new product or talk about it.

Its another to claim "the best rings, turrets, reticle, ect" as if its some sort of independent review.... when the person is peddling those products. Sort of the way certain vendors respond to almost every product inquiry with a cookie cutter "They are great, we stock them...."

Sorry If I am out of my lane, and I know its a tad rude, but don't we have sections for that?

Its another to claim "the best rings, turrets, reticle, ect" as if its some sort of independent review.... when the person is peddling those products. Sort of the way certain vendors respond to almost every product inquiry with a cookie cutter "They are great, we stock them...."

Sorry If I am out of my lane, and I know its a tad rude, but don't we have sections for that?

I have to agree, especially the "they are great, we stock them" reply part.

Well I was going to ignore it, but I want to point out if you look at my website or just my signature for that matter. You'll notice something, there's only one brand per product type, I'm not an optics dealer, I'm a small part time gunsmith and I sell what I use and believe in. You won't find Bushnell, Nightforce, premier, Simmons, or anything but Kahles. Same with the rings, I sell ARC and that's it. If you want me to get something else, ok I will, but you won't find me posting on here about anything else.

As far as selling in here, ok you caught me, but the biggest point of this thread is to spread some info as people seem to have a lot of questions on Kahles stuff due to lack of info out there.

You're not out of your lane but in all transparency I shoot for Kahles so I am biased with regards to defending this post.

With that being said, I did not see it as a for sale thread initially, but more of a general information thread (yes, about him representing). Either way, it's easy to just say "shouldn't this be in the for sale section" or something a little less snarky.

Yea man I'm not trying to hurt your business or keep you from sales. Personally I think Khales makes one of the finest products on the market and my next optic is the exact one you are talking about, but there is a growing trend with Site Sponsers (and I mean this with respect because without you guys supporting the site, it might not be here) using the technical boards to try and push product. Makes it hard to get unbiased opinions and have meaningful discussions when people with financial interest in readers buying the product trying to sway them.

Cobracutter, I hear your gripe, but do you honestly think this would be more appropriate in the for sale section? Also I've never seen the sort of carpet posting you're railing against coming from the seller you're railing at. I don't think you're out of your lane, but I think you're close enough to get pulled over.

Jonaddis- Most US makers target shot show for new products, does Kahles have "new model year" time of the year? If so, then when is it?

I have a Gen 2 K624i with MSR. Love it, but I would like the diopter adjustment to be a bit stiffer, that't s my only complaint. Still up in the air about whether I want to the detent removed from the parallax... Who should i talk to about having the diopter stiffened up?

-VB

Do you know if it is possible to get my gen2 k624i upgraded to the new diopter adj and new parralax ring? I've got a bit of gripe on both those issues, everything else is great.

Do you know if it is possible to get my gen2 k624i upgraded to the new diopter adj and new parralax ring? I've got a bit of gripe on both those issues, everything else is great.

Just did this on my AMR. Just talk to Ken and he will get you all taken care of.

Took some MSR-k pics today and a few of the turret area. Let me know if there's something else you'd like to see.

Click on the image to see full resolution.

6x

12x

20x

24x

24x illuminated

Last edited:
I am really new to long range shooting and optics. What are the hash marks labeled 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, "hanging" out there in what would be quadrant I in the first set of pictures, used for? Same goes for the hash marks and the other markings in quadrants II and III of the MSR reticle pictures? I believe that the "christmas tree" portion of the reticle in the first set of pictures is used for hold-overs and windage without having to manipulate the turrets.

I am really new to long range shooting and optics. What are the hash marks labeled 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, "hanging" out there in what would be quadrant I in the first set of pictures, used for? Same goes for the hash marks and the other markings in quadrants II and III of the MSR reticle pictures? I believe that the "christmas tree" portion of the reticle in the first set of pictures is used for hold-overs and windage without having to manipulate the turrets.

Read this. Should answer all your questions.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...copes/184755-official-msr-reticle-thread.html

I was looking through one of these over the weekend and was really impressed with it. I was wondering how thin the center lines are? I read 0.04mils somewhere, but they looked thinner than that...

It seemed thinner looking through it. Maybe its just the reticle design that makes it seem that way. It was nice, in any case. Certainly an improvement over the original.

The mil6 was not for me, and I wanted to like it.
The detents gone in gen2 is a good thing, mine were off by a significant margin beyond about 400.
My gen1 had displeasing CA and image softness, it is gone, now I have a gen2 and see a world of difference immediately.

I shoot lefty quite frequently and really like the parallax adjustment location. Having now owned a gen1 and gen2, I was relatively pleased with the gen1, I am exceedingly pleased with the gen2.

I have seen some complain of really bad image quality in the gen1 scopes, I never saw anything as terrible as some describe, but I can say - unreservedly - they have addressed image issues in the gen2.

To the OP, using words like "perfect" and "guarantee" can make some wary. I appreciate your enthusiasm (I too am a Kahles fan) but oversell it.

I really like the 624 MSR that I picked up earlier this year. The floating central dot is an excellent addition to the standard MSR reticle. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Any one with info on what ring height is needed with ARC M10s and the K624i....and still be able to use AADMOUNT caps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you slap a straight edge on your scope base and measure below it around where the bell will be, the Kahles will be 3mm below that line with medium (28mm) height rings. Not sure how thick the AAD caps are, but figure probably another 3-4mm, so if you have 7-8mm (approx .275") under your straight edge you should be good.

To calculate for other ring heights, just subtract 31mm from the ring height (measured from rail to tube center) and that will be the distance above/below the line that the scope base makes if extended forward.

Anyone know of a sunshade or ARD/Killflash that correctly fits the K624i with AADMOUNT caps? I saw that someone used a Steiner 56mm but left a gap and the finish looked a bit different.

I currently run a NF and the sunshade has been required in matches, hopefully it's not as bad with the Kahles until I find a solution. I can't wait to see it, should have it soon as well as ARC M10s. Thanks Jon!

My Steiner 56mm sunshade didn't fit my 56mm Kahles but you aren't the first one to say they saw a Steiner on a Kahles. Wonder what model 56mm shade it was.

Glad I saw this link, I've been thinking hard about which scope to put on a current build I have in the works. I have a Steiner 5-25 and a Nightforce NXS on two other rifles. I really like the Steiner it has the MSR reticle, I want to stick with the MSR reticle again and was looking at the Kahles but I'm not sure I like the location of the parallax adjustment. I see some like it but it seems maybe a little awkward to me. Maybe I'll stick with another Steiner, I'd welcome anyone's thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

The parallax just makes sense. One stop shop for elevation adjustment and parallax. Can be done with either hand pending strong side or support side position with ease. Easy to see dial without breaking your position as well.