• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Karsten cheek rest

D.Long

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2008
Fort Collins, Colorado
Just a quick question regarding Karsten's kydex cheek rest. If you have ever used one please tell me your thoughts on it. I am in need of an adjustable cheek rest and want to hear whether or not it cuts the mustard.

Is it stable?

Is it really that easy to install?

Can you recommend any alternatives (other than a new stock)?

Re: Karsten cheek rest

IMG_0329.jpg

Got the cheekrest from Kyle at XLR (I beveled the front corners on mine). He's a member here.

And the hardware to mount it to the Manners from Iggy, also a member.

Group Buy: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2227118

John

My uncle has one on his savage. I love it. The profile is just right to get that strong cheek weld without feeling like you're resting on a rock. Some profiles are too square and it doesn't feel too comfortable. Can't really answer your question on the install because it came with the rifle like that. It's really not that difficult IMO. Two holes, two screws, and slap it together.....

I have one on my Remy LTR and love it. I needed it because the 20moa base raised my scope just a bit too much. Very easy to install, stays in place and easy to move or remove completely for cleaning.

got one im putting on my HS soon. just need to locate the position and drill. my stock is hollow so drilling in from each side is easier than with a solid.

Have 2 on our Dept and I installed both. Both are functional and work extremely well. I put a piece of semi-rigid foam under mine to garuntee it returns to where I wanted it after cleaning. IF you can seat the holes high enough on the stock where the stock starts to curve back in, then when you tighten the nuts, it compresses the Karsten and adds friction from the comb kit in addition to the friction from the nut/bolt head, assiting in keeping the comb kit in place. We were running Rem 700PSS with leupold/nightforce 50mm objectives. Height of scope required a comb kit or your neck got real sore real fast. Hope this helps

I have the XLR as posted by jrob300 above.
Really nice unit, reasonably priced and fast shipping.

XLR

Like mine really well, Better than my Desert warrior, Not as shiny and stays in place.

It took me about 5 minutes to install on my Rem.

An alternative, I made mine. It is similar to the Mcmillan saddle cheek piece. I found a piece of plastic about 1/8 inch thick. Heated it to bend it over a piece of round metal, trimmed it up and covered it with a piece of suede leather. Works great, It fits my custom savage tupperware well.

Very easy to install, just a matter of minutes. I spoke to Karsten on the phone, he is a real good guy.

When you call Karsten to order, talk to him about which one to get. You have the option of getting both sets of hardware with I believe the "C" model so you can determine whether or not you like the adjustment knobs or the flush bolts.
I followed the directions to re-contour the top using boiling water, and it fits perfect. Very stable and reliable. I would recommend one without a second thought.
I put one on my 10/22 stock for scope/ eye positioning problems, as well as mimicking the cheek rest on my HS 700 stock.