• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

keep losing my zero

Bullitz

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
MA
okay so it seems like every other time i go to the range im re-zeroing my rifle and its getting really annoying,

there are 3 things that i imagine could be responsible for this,
1- i dont have the best scope rings (they were like $40)
2- i keep my rifle in a soft case because my friend has my hard case right now and when i go to the range(5 min from my house) i put the whole case in my back seat and it could be losing its zero from bumps in the road or something
3- my scope might just suck http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/52878

please let me know what you think i should do in order to keep my zero before i go buy a new scope or $150 rings

btw i take care of my rifle so its not from throwing it down on my bed or anything stupid like that

Re: keep losing my zero

Honestly, SCOPE. Check SWFA get a SuperSniper from them, my fixed 16x is a dream. It is a $300 scope but not a waste of rail.

Could also be the rings, maybe they are not holding the scope well and you have some play. Each time you fire it shifts the scope a bit. If you are using the weaver type rings it could be the rear(windgae)screw not torqued well.

Is all the scope mounting hardware properly torqued? I had the same problem with a rifle with good rings and in a hard case until I discovered one of the rings wasn't attached securely to my base.

IMO bases and rings are just as important if not more important than the scope itself..
I have NightForce rings and bases and I have an Osprey scope.. LOL.

The other guys mentioned the scope, and rings, but check your reciever to stock mounting bolts for tightness, and or proper torque. Maybe your action is moving around a little bit.

How far off is each zero? Are we talking within a Moa or way off? If you shoot 10 groups within one session, will they all be at the same poi or does the zero float. A floating zero seems to be very common, and from my understanding it's more from technique than hardware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far off is each zero? Are we talking within a Moa or way off? If you shoot 10 groups within one session, will they all be at the same poi or does the zero float. A floating zero seems to be very common, and from my understanding it's more from technique than hardware. </div></div>

You make a good point. I would check everything out & next time at the range, shoot a couple of groups, then get up, waste a little time (pistol shootin...) then set the rifle back up and shoot some more groups. If it holds during a session of groups, then it's off after changing position, there's markmanship issues.

What're the rings mounted to? Direct to the rifle or on a rail? If on a rail, make sure both rings are solid, forward in the notch on the rail. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far off is each zero? Are we talking within a Moa or way off? If you shoot 10 groups within one session, will they all be at the same poi or does the zero float. A floating zero seems to be very common, and from my understanding it's more from technique than hardware. </div></div>

its not too bad,it might be like an inch high and like .5 right or something but still good groups, if i adjust windage and elevation it will be impacting on target again its just annoying

Are you cleaning your bore every trip? Generally a rifle will shoot more consistently with a fouled barrel. Not saying every gun will but just from experience my rifles always shoot 1-1.5" off the first shot after i clean out the bore, then a few fouling shots later its back on. Just food for thought. And I agree with the previous poster about value of high grade rings and bases. After my B-square base and Weaver rings issue all my guns get NF bases and seekins rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you cleaning your bore every trip? Generally a rifle will shoot more consistently with a fouled barrel. Not saying every gun will but just from experience my rifles always shoot 1-1.5" off the first shot after i clean out the bore, then a few fouling shots later its back on. Just food for thought. And I agree with the previous poster about value of high grade rings and bases. After my B-square base and Weaver rings issue all my guns get NF bases and seekins rings.

</div></div>

i tried it with clean bore and bore with like 20 rounds threw it but did u have an issue similiar to this with weaver rings? cuz i have weaver rings right now

I had an issue on my rem700 with the rear ring not staying in the base. That single windage screw wasn't holding it and the entire scope kept shifting forward.

I don't have that nice of scope or rings. I have Burris rings and a Vortex PST scope. The gun bounced around in my truck uncased for most of the winter and never lost zero. I would say your issue is either mounting or cheap scope.

I didn't notice you listing your scope make. What kind is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DernHumpus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have that nice of scope or rings. I have Burris rings and a Vortex PST scope. The gun bounced around in my truck uncased for most of the winter and never lost zero. I would say your issue is either mounting or cheap scope.

I didn't notice you listing your scope make. What kind is it? </div></div>

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/52878

and these are the rings i have i think but in 30mm
http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Detachable-...rds=weaver+ring

While the scope could be part of the problem, I would check all of the screws first and replace those rings. I haven't used them but that picture doesn't inspire any confidence in me. I'd look for a good used set on here. Good luck.

Yeah those rings are a no-go in my book. The burris rings aren't bad for the price but mine sat weird on my NF base.

Change to better quality rings (i reallllly like Seekins), make sure everything's torqued to spec and let us know.

Is this a brand new rifle btw?

yeah had it for like 3 months already but i bought it brand new and i already checked all the screws and theyre as tight as i can get them but okay ill grab a new pair of rings when i get my dbm

I dont have a problem with certain types of weaver rings. I dislike the type you have. I have found the cheap steel rings and some lapping works well, and have held up for many years with no issue on magnums. I would start with new rings, preferably good rings like Seekins or TPS, XTRS, etc if you are on a budget.

If it still is giving you issues, then maybe get yourself some new glass.

Just something I thought of......Do you set your paralax? Maybe you hold consistantly during your range trips but vary a little from trip to trip?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bullitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah had it for like 3 months already but i bought it brand new and i already checked all the screws and theyre as tight as i can get them but okay ill grab a new pair of rings when i get my dbm

</div></div>

Tight as you can get them? You're not torquing to proper spec???