• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kelbly's Black Bear Tactical

That's awesome to hear. I just got the email earlier today my dasher barrels are ready and he got them shipped out right away. I'll be tracking them closely, it's gonna be close if I can get some quick load dev done in time to take it to a 1 day match next saturday. It would be extremely hard not to take it though because I've been staring at it for the last 6 weeks. I'll post up some pics once I get her to the range.

Reactions: Fishbaum
That's awesome to hear. I just got the email earlier today my dasher barrels are ready and he got them shipped out right away. I'll be tracking them closely, it's gonna be close if I can get some quick load dev done in time to take it to a 1 day match next saturday. It would be extremely hard not to take it though because I've been staring at it for the last 6 weeks. I'll post up some pics once I get her to the range.

Let me know how it runs the dasher! I'm thinking i want to do one of the 6br variants for mine.

Reactions: Patriots1884
Update - 7 DEC 18

Jesus, its been a little while since I posted in here.... But not because I've been lazy. I've been beating the crap out of the Black Bear and really pushing to see what it can take... After about a solid month of doing nothing but shooting round after round out of it, I still haven't found anything that I can honestly say is a negative. It's rock solid, smooth, and hasn't failed me yet...and I've run some seriously hot loads through it. Not even a firing pin issue, or extraction hiccup...

Speaking of load development, which isn't necessarily the topic of this forum, but I did some 308 load work and also spun another barrel in 6 BRX to try out in a couple weeks. After testing bullet after bullet in the 308, I found one that's been OUTSTANDING at distance and beats my 6.5x47 with the 142 Sierra's/140 ELDM loads.

The x47 is a 26" Hawk Hill 1-8 Twist, and flings the 142/140gr pills over Varget at roughly 2810-2815 when I take my time loading. At distance its easily the most consistent rifle I own. 4" groups at 975 are pretty regular out of that combination. My 308 Black Bear on the other hand, is a 25", Bartlein 1-10 Twist, and gives me great velocities with the 175/178gr bullets over Varget, roughly 2775-2800ish if I'm pushing it... But those loads aren't anything special... Nobody's interested in hearing about how a 308 shoots 11mils of elevation at 1000. Been there done that, your uncle was doing it back in Nam, I get it....... Well how about if it shot 6.5mils to 960? (Skeptical hippo eyes?)…

After searching for something different to shoot this next season, I ran across a company by the name of G9... Never heard of them, never talked to any of em', not even a word from anyone else about them. Digging a little deeper into their products and I found the 154gr lathe turned solids they claimed to give more velocity and better barrel wear...with a G1 BC of .578.. I was EXTREMELY skeptical, but Mile High had them in stock and for a decent price, so I picked up a couple boxes. I've tested both Warner and Cutting Edges stuff, but for the price, it's not worth spending the money on competition shooting outside of ELR or maybe a finale. With that being said, lathe turned solids are pretty nasty. Super flat, HIGH BC's, buck wind really really well, and makes life a lot easier when it comes to dope and turning turrets...

The G9's are slightly different from the Warner and Cutting Edge stuff. Both solids from Warner and Cutting are copper.... G9's on the other hand, are brass. Not a new concept by any means, but (for me) they do open the topic back up for testing. After getting 300 pills from Mile High, I went straight into testing to see if their claims for more velocity was bullshit or would have me on the phone with Mile High ordering dozens of boxes. I also bought a couple boxes of 155 Palma's just to compare.

First things first, these solids are sensitive to seating depths... They have a 3 rib sealing section that, in my findings, don't appreciate being moved around. Not a huge issue, my chamber is throated for heavier pills, so the length of the 154's didn't really effect accuracy. If some of you are interested in trying these, keep in mind the advertised C.O.A.L is 2.900", so you may or may not have jam. Just warning you. All of my testing was done at that 2.900" C.O.A.L and as much as I wanted to mess with the seating depths, it seemed like groupings could get out of control rather quickly if the projectiles were seated shorter or longer... I stayed on the safe side and just ran the 2.900, accuracy was still good, not ridiculous like my x47, but still under a moa.

Powder behind the 154's was a challenge... They advertise RAMSHOT TAC, 2000MR, and IMR 4166.... None of which I had any of, of course. I managed to find a couple 1lb jugs of TAC, but I don't like the enduron line of IMR so I didn't even bother buying and 4166. 2000MR, if I could find any of the shit, I would've bought it, but I couldn't... Varget on the other hand, I have a bunch of and it's always shot well for my 308, so why not?

First tests were done with Varget… Immediately regretted trying it. No pressure signs, no chamber blow ups, but the velocities weren't even close and I was already WAYYY up in the neck during charging... Varget was out. Next came TAC. Really liked the stuff. I'm not a huge fan of spherical powder, I've always used extruded, but this stuff could change my mind. It was so easy to meter and my powder machine loved throwing it. Velocities were great, and with the solids it gave me 3025fps with ZERO pressure signs. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did the same test with 155 Palmas, and was only able to get 2925fps with pressure signs almost immediately. This could just be MY rifle, so take that info however you may.

After shooting a couple weeks with Tac and throwing the 154's at 3025ish, I started searching for another powder that was a little more available to me. I tried, H4831SC, which wasn't having it... H4895, did OK, but nothing special.... a couple Accurate Powders, then I stumbled on CFE223... MY GOD. This powder is an absolute animal with those 154's, and has had no drawbacks so far. It's pushing the solids at 3065, grouping really well, and down range performance has been outstanding. The combo of CFE223 and the G9 154's, is pushing my 308 well under my x47 dope and lines up with my 6SLR shooting 115 Coated DTAC's @ 2980...

Update - 7 DEC 18 cont...

I've been to the long range with the rifle roughly everyday for the past 3ish weeks (depending on weather) and it's been pretty remarkable to listen to feedback on the 900yd+ targets with less than 7mils of elevation on the turrets. The rifle hasn't acted crazy, and the recoil is very similar to my x47 with maybe a little more push due to higher pressures from the 308. One thing I will say, is that if anyone is gonna give these 154's a try, don't shoot a string of regular copper jacket bullets between strings.... You will see some weird stringing when you head back to the brass solids until it gets the copper out of the way, and the groups will shrink again. I was livid for about an hour on the range after it happed to me. Either clean the rifle of copper after shooting it with jacket bullets, or expect it to happen... Because its going to. Tested it in 2 other rifles.

In conclusion, the 154's are almost as advertised. They do seem to give my rifle a slight edge, and they definitely are stupid flat shooting. When you touch em for the first time, they really are super slick. It's hard to explain, but I can see how it could attribute to higher velocities being that brass is softer than copper and could seal better to a rifles bore... The BC is slightly off. Still really high for a light projectile, but not as high as advertised. G9 had them at a G1 of .578... My numbers came out to roughly .569/.570. I could honestly give a rats ass about the slight drop in BC... I'm shooting a 960yd target @ 6.5m with a 308.... but some of the haters on here will bitch about anything, so there you go.

One last thing that I did to see if they're claim about barrel wear was true... Kind of a subjective test, but I still tried to see if there was any merit to the claim. Before shooting any of the G9's, I bore scoped my throat and rifling. Obviously it was an almost new bore so there really wasn't anything to look at, but I also looked at a buddies brand new 308 just to get an initial look. After about 3 weeks of shooting the G9's I rechecked my bore, and my buddies rifle (he shot with me for most of those 3 weeks, and had roughly 400rds down his 308)… No surprise to me, I couldn't tell right off the bat if anything was different between the two (Keep in mind, both rifles were fully cleaned so seeing imperfections is fairly easy... Like the shit chamber that came in my buddies factory rifle haha). I plan to keep checking along the way, but in all honesty, I'll probably have to build another Bartlein 308 to keep the test equal. That factory rifle is kind of a shitty test... theres was already firecracking in the front of the chamber with less than 400 rds down the tube... Goes to show how important a barrel is.....

I’ve got 400 rounds through my Black Bear and it is eating everything like candy. I’m not easy on equipment either, it’s not a safe Queen. It rides in UTV and truck when I’m out running around. Dirt,dust,mud,blood,hair,rain,etc. I built it to use it and I enjoy seeing quality equipment do exactly what it was meant to do and look good doing it.
I’ve had rifle apart a few times, and putting it back on pillars in bedding with that big flat bottom is unbeatable for repeatability.

My Black Bear build finally landed! Can't wait to get her out!

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 285
Has anyone ordered one of these with the receiver in stainless (no nitride) and nitride bolt?

Curious too how it would look and whether it would still be as slick as both action and bolt being nitride?

Has anyone ordered one of these with the receiver in stainless (no nitride) and nitride bolt?

Curious too how it would look and whether it would still be as slick as both action and bolt being nitride?

If you're curious how it looks, just head to Kelblys website and look up the Kodiac action. The Kodiac is the precursor to the Black Bear and is built out of aluminum rather than stainless.

Ian runs one in his competition gun.

As far as slickness, I would expect it would probably still be smooth, but wouldn't be as slick. With that being said, Ian's Kodiak is super slick.... (Granted its an aluminum receiver and stainless bolt)

Last edited:
For those following this thread because they are looking at a black bear action I heard in early September from MPA who said 6-8 weeks before they would have chassis's ready. Got an email this week after I followed up with then and they said it will be another couple of months. So if you've been waiting on MPA like I had, you'll have to keep waiting. They could be really busy or something, I'm not sure the reason but that's the update I got for those wondering.

I actually still haven't barreled my black bear yet but I'll more than likely have kelbly inlet and bed an A5a for me rather than wait on MPA.

For those following this thread because they are looking at a black bear action I heard in early September from MPA who said 6-8 weeks before they would have chassis's ready. Got an email this week after I followed up with then and they said it will be another couple of months. So if you've been waiting on MPA like I had, you'll have to keep waiting. They could be really busy or something, I'm not sure the reason but that's the update I got for those wondering.

I actually still haven't barreled my black bear yet but I'll more than likely have kelbly inlet and bed an A5a for me rather than wait on MPA.

What are your impressions so far of the action? I bought one looking forward to seeing this tank.

What are your impressions so far of the action? I bought one looking forward to seeing this tank.

I'm not the best person to ask for first had experience since my action isn't barreled yet. From the few people I have talked to who have ran them they all love them but then again most people want to love something they spent a lot of money on.

Out of the box it's pretty smooth and I'm sure by the time you run the bolt a few hundred times it will be right up there with impact and defiance. It is definitely built like a tank and everyone I've seen beds amazing. Other than that I can't give much else on it.

I emailed Al at MPA yesterday and he said they were "working on the Black Bears now but did not have a release date yet". I ordered mine in June under the impression it would be a few months max.

Reactions: Steelnecktie
When I initially ordered the Black Bear in March of 2018, I immediately contacted MPA to check if there would be an inlet. The response at that time was 6-10 weeks. After 10 weeks I called back and the new response was there wasn't really a projected date as to when there would be an inlet. Glad I ordered my Mcmillan or else it looks like i'd still be waiting.

Hi guys. Just rekindling the thread. How's everyone's Black Bears doing? Saving is hard. I'm hoping to have a complete rifle by the 2020 Border Wars season.

Reactions: mrobles3808
Hi guys. Just rekindling the thread. How's everyone's Black Bears doing? Saving is hard. I'm hoping to have a complete rifle by the 2020 Border Wars season.

I hate my Black Bear for one reason. It's the smoothest action I've handled and now I want to sell everything else I own and start new builds on the Black Bear. They are phenomenal honestly. I've had a lot of guys mess with it at matches and they are impressed.

"No news, is good news". No one on here complaining about them, so I would imagine they're all running excellently out there, just like the Atlas Tacticals and other Kelbly actions.

I am thinking that my next build will have to be on an Atlas Tactical or Black Bear... they have a great feature-set and they just work. I have handled my buddy's Atlas Tactical and I agree with the poster above that it was the smoothest I've ever felt (I've only handled Defiance, Stiller, and Bighorn though).

Hey gents,

Apologize about not posting more recently. Been shooting a bunch of matches and happy to announce I am now a member of the Kelblys Tactical Team.

As far as the Black Bear is concerned, I actually got rid of all of my other rifles and am running just the Black Bear with 3 different caliber barrels, and I've got an Atlas on the way to take care of the remmy chassis. Now granted I do shoot for the company, but I had already bought the Black Bear before coming on, and was planning on thinning the herd to nothing but Kelblys anyways.

I refuse to shoot anyone else's stuff now. They just work, and there's no voodoo envolved. Run em with hot loads, they take it. Run it super hard, they take it. Run it without ANY gun lube/grease, still smoother than any other actions I've run (which is most of them).

It's just simple and reliable. No more searching for me boys, I'm setting up my tent and watching the sunset.

Hey gents,

Apologize about not posting more recently. Been shooting a bunch of matches and happy to announce I am now a member of the Kelblys Tactical Team.

As far as the Black Bear is concerned, I actually got rid of all of my other rifles and am running just the Black Bear with 3 different caliber barrels, and I've got an Atlas on the way to take care of the remmy chassis. Now granted I do shoot for the company, but I had already bought the Black Bear before coming on, and was planning on thinning the herd to nothing but Kelblys anyways.

I refuse to shoot anyone else's stuff now. They just work, and there's no voodoo envolved. Run em with hot loads, they take it. Run it super hard, they take it. Run it without ANY gun lube/grease, still smoother than any other actions I've run (which is most of them).

It's just simple and reliable. No more searching for me boys, I'm setting up my tent and watching the sunset.

Whaaaaattt?!?! You mean no adjusting the firing pin protrusion, checking sear engagement, replacing FP springs, and keeping it surgical-grade clean to get it to function?! That's crazy! Lol!

Whaaaaattt?!?! You mean no adjusting the firing pin protrusion, checking sear engagement, replacing FP springs, and keeping it surgical-grade clean to get it to function?! That's crazy! Lol!

Hahahahaha RIGHT!?!? These dudes now a days with their 30lbs 6BR/Dashers, and all this adjusting actions to be able to shoot.... Hard pass...

Reactions: Milf Dots
Can the black bear shoot the dasher/br variants without modifications?

Don't quote me directly on it, but I'm about 98% sure yes. Just make your mag modifications and run it.

Ive also seen some dudes running the Magpul mags with no mods and they'll feed the dasher just fine.

Lol, I called Ian and asked what the deal with MPA was. Not saying he made a call, but I did mention guys were interested in getting their hands on one to do their builds and couldn't get a definitive answer.
I ordered a MOA online and had it in 7 weeks. They emailed me confirming the order and sent me a copy of the tracking number, as I had it sent directly to the Smith.

We offer the Black Bear with a Sako Extractor and Remignton Ejector that will work great for the Dasher and BR Variants. The mechanical ejector will work if run quickly, but the primal rights insert can cause some issues as the case in the magazine can push the round from the boltface. So the best setup for Dasher and BR is the Sako extractor and Remington Ejector.

The Atlas works so well with the Dasher and Primal Rights follower, because of our short throw Dasher Bolt stop.

@XLR Industries that looks incredible... do you have any more pictures of that build, specifically showing how the action looks nestled into the chassis? Also, is the standard Envy package available with the Black Bear inlet?

I am currently running my third 6br barrel (and 1 BRX) on my Kodiak (AL version of the Black Bear) with no issues whatsoever. No mods. No issues.

Don't quote me directly on it, but I'm about 98% sure yes. Just make your mag modifications and run it.

Ive also seen some dudes running the Magpul mags with no mods and they'll feed the dasher just fine.

You don't really need a mag mod if you don't want. A couple friends and I have been running Magpul mags with great success for a long time. and they feed 100 % better than the crap conversion kits. I will never buy another conversion kit.

GL!
DT

@XLR Industries that looks incredible... do you have any more pictures of that build, specifically showing how the action looks nestled into the chassis? Also, is the standard Envy package available with the Black Bear inlet?
We are currently only offering the Carbon chassis, Evolution, and the JV Heavy fill Envy chassis. The standard full length might eventually be offered. Send us a email and we can get you some more pictures. [email protected]
The fit of the inlet is flawless! They are tight and make great contact.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I've said it before this thread, but its really great to see companies step up and put the info out on these reviews so shooters get the most up to date info.

@XLR Industries, absolutely top knotch guys. Way to go out of y'alls way and jump in to make sure interested customers know exactly what they'd be getting.

@Ian A. Kelbly, getting this Black Bear out there BOSSMAN!!?

Dang it. Been working on converting a stock to work with the black bear I have, been going slow as can be (stupid day job getting in the way of playing with rifles), Started with a grayboe stock i had sitting around for remington short action. Have the top side setup and fitting/looking good, just need to finish converting from bdl to dbm, and then I see those XLR pics. That black bear looks at home in that chassis and the son approves of the look too. I might just have to grab one so I can actually shoot this barreled action as between work and running a VFD my tinkering in the gun room has came to a crawl.

@XLR Industries is the 3-5 weeks lead time on all the models you mention? I am really liking that envy jv though...

Ah damn it, they take paypal credit. with 6 months at 0%... Well, I think I will grab one, going to sleep on it though.

Dang it. Been working on converting a stock to work with the black bear I have, been going slow as can be (stupid day job getting in the way of playing with rifles), Started with a grayboe stock i had sitting around for remington short action. Have the top side setup and fitting/looking good, just need to finish converting from bdl to dbm, and then I see those XLR pics. That black bear looks at home in that chassis and the son approves of the look too. I might just have to grab one so I can actually shoot this barreled action as between work and running a VFD my tinkering in the gun room has came to a crawl.

@XLR Industries is the 3-5 weeks lead time on all the models you mention? I am really liking that envy jv though...

Ah damn it, they take paypal credit. with 6 months at 0%... Well, I think I will grab one, going to sleep on it though.
I currently have QTY 1 Carbon chassis right hand and QTY 1 Evolution LEFT HAND machined we just have to get those coated. So for either one of those you would be looking at 2-3 weeks on lead time. A right hand Evolution would be 3-5 weeks.
Could be a southpaws lucky day on that Evolution for the Black Bear!!

Reactions: andrewsben
Yeah funny enough I inquired with XLR a couple weeks ago about an Envy for the Black Bear and they had 1 ready to go so mine is probably getting painted at the moment and then on the way. Can't wait to get it and get the black bear in there. Got a couple matches mid march and late march so hopefully I will have it for the end of March match if not possibly before.

Yeah funny enough I inquired with XLR a couple weeks ago about an Envy for the Black Bear and they had 1 ready to go so mine is probably getting painted at the moment and then on the way. Can't wait to get it and get the black bear in there. Got a couple matches mid march and late march so hopefully I will have it for the end of March match if not possibly before.
The chassis is packaged up and will be shipped out this afternoon actually!! Send some pictures over when you get it all put together. .

For those of you looking for visual representation on how tight the fitment for the Black Bear action is in our chassis system, check out this little video we put together. If you'd like more images of the Black Bear action in the ENVY chassis, send us an email and we would be more than happy to send over some close-up images!

Picked up my Envy this morning and went straight to the range to install the Black Bear. What a spectacular fit, I’m pretty impressed with the quality of this chassis.

I have a match tomorrow so I really wasn’t planning on running it since I’m not familiar with it at all, but man it feels so good. I’m really considering it

Talk about your first world problems, which one of these awesome rifles do I run tomorrow.

Attachments

• C1EAB222-B0D2-4B63-B181-E81CBB82F660.jpeg
    C1EAB222-B0D2-4B63-B181-E81CBB82F660.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 4AA1C256-4754-4968-B29C-04B213F8C8A8.jpeg
    4AA1C256-4754-4968-B29C-04B213F8C8A8.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 163
  • FCE7DB34-BF0F-4023-ABC0-2C78DFCED6D3.jpeg
    FCE7DB34-BF0F-4023-ABC0-2C78DFCED6D3.jpeg
    593.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 01A9E1B4-7DCA-43CB-A831-302B2955D95D.jpeg
    01A9E1B4-7DCA-43CB-A831-302B2955D95D.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 4CEA4668-5B56-445D-91CE-03A7C86A6798.jpeg
    4CEA4668-5B56-445D-91CE-03A7C86A6798.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 153
Picked up my Envy this morning and went straight to the range to install the Black Bear. What a spectacular fit, I’m pretty impressed with the quality of this chassis.

I have a match tomorrow so I really wasn’t planning on running it since I’m not familiar with it at all, but man it feels so good. I’m really considering it

Talk about your first world problems, which one of these awesome rifles do I run tomorrow.

Run the ENVY! Just SEND IT!

Reactions: FollowThrough10
Do blackbears take a prefit barrel of any type?

And is the difference between them and the atlas just the bottom profile?

Any competent gunsmith can build a pre fit barrel for any action, but if you're asking if there is any companies doing prefits for the Black Bear, not that I know of. The thread pitch is different than a Remington or Savage (which most prefits are threaded for).

There is quite a lot different between the Black Bear and Atlas. Yes the flat bottom is one, the Black Bear also has an integrated recoil lug, and integrated 20moa scope base, whereas the Atlas Tactical has a Remington footprint, pinned scope base, and pinned recoil lug.

The tenon is different between both actions as well. The thread pitch is the same 18TPI, but the shank on barrels will be different (longer vs shorter).

Also, the sheer size of the Black Bear is much much different than the Atlas Tactical.

Only thing I know is the same between the two, is the bolt, and the TG extractor/ejector set up.

Reactions: XLR Industries
I think bug holes does a 18 tpi nut and will do a prefit. Considered it before just going shoulder.

@andrewsben is correct, the boys over at bugholes will do a prefit for the Kelbly actions, but I'm about 90% sure they haven't for the Black Bear. He is correct though in saying they'll spin you one, but its kinda pointless when they'd have to custom cut a barrel to build into a prefit... and then turn around and do another so you can switch calibers... What I'm saying is, yes, running a prefit is convenient for switching out and having a muli caliber rig.... Buttttt, what's the point when you can spin 2,3,4 shouldered barrels one after the other for a Black Bear due to the same tenon and headspacing dimensions? Then you don't have to worry about getting correct headspace woth a prefit (I've seen many many guys think their headspace is correct on a prefit using go/no go gauges, and wind up stretching cases like crazy)...

That's the beaty of the Kelblys stuff. The dimensions are the same from barrel to barrel. Spin on your trainer, torque to spec, go learn your rig... Spin it off, spin the match barrel on, torque it to spec, go win a match...

Just my 2 cents, but if a company who builds your action doesn't believe in the "prefit" phenomenon, I'm more inclined to listen to them vs taking a risk and getting it wrong... Like I said, just my opinion, so take it how you will.

I need to purchase a 308based magazine for this action, which ones work best with no issues?