• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel sportsman compass issue

justinmac13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2014
Just received my sportsman from camera land. It seemed to work great when I first got it out. Pretty straight forward set up etc. then I feathered it to my phone and it did an update, not sure if that is what did it or not but now the compass is way off. I have calibrated it 10 or so times, changed batteries and reset it to default and tried again. For instance I have a 8 degree wind from about 15 degree, compass shows 170, I manually set it to show 15 deg, then direction of target true is about 90 deg, kestrel reads 146, I set it to 90. AB now gives me correct elevation but shows a Right wind age of .6. The wind age at minimum would have to be left. Any ideas how I can revert it back to original firmware to try?

”Remember Wind direction is always relative to where the target is as the target becomes 0 regardless of where it is on the compass and wind is the degrees away from it starting with zero and moving clockwise. Most people change wind to a clock reading instead of compass heading as it makes it easier to understand for example if you shoot East and the wind is from the East you have a target DOF of 90 and a wind of 0 or 12 o'clock. IF the wind changes and comes from the south you will get a 90 degree wind or 3 o'clock wind, over your right shoulder. It will not show up as 180 degrees.”

Follow this thread.

Reactions: Tono and TACC
Compass is off, meaning does it track what north really is still? Try setting the wind to the clock method, not as a azimuth. See if that cleans up your wind angle and what the hold should be.

Reactions: justinmac13
I had the same problem. I recalibrate the compass and it seems to be fine know.

@jacer961 and @68sting did either of you read post 2 above?
Yes and I understand how that works. When I was trouble shooting this issue I marked targets spinning 360 degrees yet the Kestral would only display 200-300 degrees as I spun in a circle. I recalibrated the compass and did the same test and it displayed 0-360 degrees as it should. My wind direction has been correct since I did that.

Yes and thank you for the information,maybe I’m too old for all this technology, but if I’m facing the target and the wind is at my right shoulder shouldn’t that be the 3:00 wind reading relative to the target ? Sorry for all the questions new to the Kestrel. Thanks
Yes. That's why we change the kestrel to show the direction in the clock instead of degrees. Capture DOf then face the kestrel into the wind and capture.

Yes. That's why we change the kestrel to show the direction in the clock instead of degrees. Capture DOf then face the kestrel into the wind and capture.
That’s what I’m doing but it’s saying wind is 12:30 instead of 3:00, recalibrated compass multiple times same outcome. Thanks for the info, I will figure this out sooner or later.

Jacer, by chance have you checked the compass reading with another compass, and is it relative close to each other? Trying to problem solve with you.

Just trying to see if it is a compass issue, or a wind direction issue on the Kestrel. To be honest, I do not really use the DOF capture, and wind capture on mine, I have it zeroed out and manually input wind and its direction if I need it. By chance, have you tried this and given you good data?

test your compass. Highlight TGT and press the acquire button while facing target, then slowly turn to wind and see if the compass reflects that movement. Go back to target and turn off acquire and then do a wind acquire. DOF + wind direction heading should equal the wind reading from the test. Again, DOF is a compass heading and Wind direction is the number of degrees from DOF, which becomes zero for the wind reading.

Jacer, by chance have you checked the compass reading with another compass, and is it relative close to each other? Trying to problem solve with you.

Just trying to see if it is a compass issue, or a wind direction issue on the Kestrel. To be honest, I do not really use the DOF capture, and wind capture on mine, I have it zeroed out and manually input wind and its direction if I need it. By chance, have you tried this and given you good data?
I will try that when I get a chance, thank you for the help 8up

test your compass. Highlight TGT and press the acquire button while facing target, then slowly turn to wind and see if the compass reflects that movement. Go back to target and turn off acquire and then do a wind acquire. DOF + wind direction heading should equal the wind reading from the test. Again, DOF is a compass heading and Wind direction is the number of degrees from DOF, which becomes zero for the wind reading.
Ok I will try that when I get a chance, thanks for the help.

Ok so I got a chance to check Kestrel with another compass, with compass on due north 0 degrees the Kestrel pointed in the same direction reads 26 degrees moved Kestrel to 90 degrees it’s reads 36, moved to area away from metal, buildings or anything that would cause interference and did a recalibration again, seems to be working ok now with DOF at 0 degrees and wind capture just behind right shoulder shows 4:30 on clock and that seems about right. I don’t know if I did this test right but seems to be working now, thanks everyone for the ideas and help.