• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Killer Weed

flybuster

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Hey guys, I've been doing research on building a ghillie and I was looking at some possible alternatives to burlap, even though burlap is inexpensive. I've also seen that they make synthetic dyed fibers.

What about Avery Killer weed? Anyone try that around here? I googled and only found one old post on another forum where a guy had used this stuff for a ghillie

Avery Forum, Killer weed

This stuff comes in three or four different colors. I have used it on my goose layout blind, blends in awesome once you add natural vegetation. It seems to not weigh down too excessively when wet. The colors could be blended in to match your area just like any other material. But the weed is not cheap either, I think its made from palm fibers from a palm tree, something like that.

Would this possibly be a good choice? Worth a try maybe? What say you.

47103.jpg

Re: Killer Weed

Killer weed a.k.a. raffia, shredded palm leaves. Can be bought in natural color and died just like jute. Just found that out, should save money. It's legal too!

If it's only raffia, I doubt it will last on a ghillie...plus it won't "unraval" the way burlap does....

You may be right about it not lasting, the killer weed seems to thin out over time and I've had to add more to the blind over the years.

The reason I was interested in using this stuff was because of its realistic grass-like appearance, and it ties in real nice to webbing. Also because its not as absorbent as jute seems to be based on what I've only read about on threads.

I may try a combination of materials and include some Killer Weed and see how I like it, but still have the majority of the material jute, and of course natural vegetation.

I was hoping to get Shay's opinion as well, I've been reading lots of posts on here about suit making and his post have been informative.

Thanks guys,

buy it at Hobby Lobby or any other hobby shop that sells floral arrangement type crap. Cost about $5 for a huge bag of it.

I thought of another drawback that could happen with this stuff, it is more noisy than burlap jute. But probably no more-so than dried vegetation that you add on the suit.

Here is how I have it blended for my local terrain on my Powerhunter.
100_08252.jpg

If you are set on using this for a ghillie ,i would use that and jute. Add spurts of that throughout the ghillie to break up the pattern, as long as it matches the AO for the ghillie. Since it wears down faster than jute though, you might need to do ghillie maintenance more often.

I agree with ya, just add some in to break things up a bit. It should be very effective at tying in vegetation and keeping it there.

To keep Killer Weed on my blind I use dark colored or spray painted zip ties that have the excess cut off, you can barely see them. I also just tie it in to the webbing, either way works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here is how I have it blended for my local terrain on my Powerhunter.
100_08252.jpg
</div></div>

Oh, that looks good I just have a shet-ton of corn husks tucked into mine, next season I'm doing what you did.

There's not a bad idea! It corn husks would be just like a giant tamale.

This set up works good for river hunting, but If I used it in a field believe me there would be wheat or corn husks added.

BTW this is the all-terrain kit, it had the most colors of the Avery Weed kits.

looks like 'stalk grass'
i've used it sparsely on a few suits and it adds great texture.

i've seen a few suits G ZEN put together with stalk grass and they look good.
definitely a different texture for garnish.

it is some what noisy in large quantities. although no more noisy than a vegged up suit.

I think you are absolutely right about it being the same thing as "stalk-grass" it looks the same.

92T5100.jpg

This stuff is actually marketed as ghillie material, its priced the same as Killer Weed but it ain't died, and is natural color.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">"What is Stalk Grass?

Extracted from a Tropical Palm Plant, this fiber is pure and natural. It is often found growing in areas of high-water content. Each fiber strand had a very high tensile strength and can easily be tied onto your clothing or equipment."</span> -www.combatreadyusastore.com </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You tricked me on a thread called killer weed. LOL </div></div>

I concur
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: RobertB
You tricked me on a thread called killer weed. LOL </div></div>

laugh.gif
Awww I never woulda tried to do that!
laugh.gif
wink.gif