• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You are right its not worth pissing and moaning about but your snapshot in time is hardly scientific. Look on the ATF web site and see how many pistols each manufacturer makes and then count a years worth of posts. Your comment supports mine in that more pistols = more complaints by number, not percentage.

Ultimately, if you are happy with the pistol(s) you own, that's all that matters to me. I have had more than one Kimber with an issue (all of which were fixed by me) and many more that were flawless. While I don't include you or EddieNFL in this group, what really erks me is The Internet Hostage Rescue Team members that have never owned one yet feel compelled to discuss the issues their brother in law's cousin's friend had from the comfort of Mommy's basement. You see I shoot 45 GAP's as well, so I get it from all sides. ;)

You are right its not worth pissing and moaning about but your snapshot in time is hardly scientific. Look on the ATF web site and see how many pistols each manufacturer makes and then count a years worth of posts. Your comment supports mine in that more pistols = more complaints by number, not percentage.

Ultimately, if you are happy with the pistol(s) you own, that's all that matters to me. I have had more than one Kimber with an issue (all of which were fixed by me) and many more that were flawless. While I don't include you or EddieNFL in this group, what really erks me is The Internet Hostage Rescue Team members that have never owned one yet feel compelled to discuss the issues their brother in law's cousin's friend had from the comfort of Mommy's basement. You see I shoot 45 GAP's as well, so I get it from all sides. ;)

I agree with you that volume of production will have an effect on mishaps with QC, no doubt about it. If you or anyone else has a firearm that YOU like and it works for YOU, then that is all that matters. But if someone asks someone will answer. In a perfect world if someone ask for an opinion something only those with actual experience with said product would chime in; but that'll never happen lol.

I'm out.[/COLOR]

OK, I looked at about 10 Kimbers at the store today and only two were cut like the picture you showed the rest appeared to be centered. I wonder, A, how does that happen and B, is it intentional? and C, how do they still function. The off center ones were were all 5" guns.

There has to be a method to the madness. Right?

Here is my opinion on this subject regarding Kimber 1911's. They are great firearms! First off, as mentioned before you will see more complaints about them and that is simply because there are more of them being sold. I do believe that in comparison to other production 1911's, Kimber has tighter tolerances which sometimes requires a 500 rounds break in period before it becomes 100% reliable, It even says it in the owners manual. I have shot many 1911's and owned a few (all production) and I can say that Kimber has been the most impressive to me.

I did experience several failures within the first 3-400 rounds after first purchasing the firearm, but after that it has been 100% reliable for over 3,000 rounds now. One of the reasons I think you see complaints over Kimbers is that people expect them to be 100% right out of the box and do not have the patience to go through a break in period. Also, with as many Kimber 1911's as there are floating around I believe many people pick some up of the used market. 1911's are not Glocks, they need love and maintenance to run 100%. When you get one used it may have upwards of 1000 rounds through the recoil spring and a simple cheap replacement could be all you need to get it running great.

Here is my Kimber, the picture is a couple years old so the firearm still looks in perfect condition. Today it is not so much, but that is because it has seen good honest wear and has been put through its paces by me with just good hard practice, and a formal firearms course that I used it in. There is bound to be some lemmons out there just like with any production company, but in my honest opinion having owned a couple different makes, and shooting several others of friends, I would put Kimber at the top of the list of production 1911's.

Here is my opinion on this subject regarding Kimber 1911's. They are great firearms! First off, as mentioned before you will see more complaints about them and that is simply because there are more of them being sold. I do believe that in comparison to other production 1911's, Kimber has tighter tolerances which sometimes requires a 500 rounds break in period before it becomes 100% reliable, It even says it in the owners manual. I have shot many 1911's and owned a few (all production) and I can say that Kimber has been the most impressive to me.

I did experience several failures within the first 3-400 rounds after first purchasing the firearm, but after that it has been 100% reliable for over 3,000 rounds now. One of the reasons I think you see complaints over Kimbers is that people expect them to be 100% right out of the box and do not have the patience to go through a break in period. Also, with as many Kimber 1911's as there are floating around I believe many people pick some up of the used market. 1911's are not Glocks, they need love and maintenance to run 100%. When you get one used it may have upwards of 1000 rounds through the recoil spring and a simple cheap replacement could be all you need to get it running great.

Here is my Kimber, the picture is a couple years old so the firearm still looks in perfect condition. Today it is not so much, but that is because it has seen good honest wear and has been put through its paces by me with just good hard practice, and a formal firearms course that I used it in. There is bound to be some lemmons out there just like with any production company, but in my honest opinion having owned a couple different makes, and shooting several others of friends, I would put Kimber at the top of the list of production 1911's.

I don't buy into the argument that they sell a lot so that equals more complaints. The biggest problem people have is they spent 1400 on a 1911 and expected at that price to have a quality 1911 and ended up with a firearm that is not living up to the price tag. Lots of Kimbers rust very easy and have more hangups after the 3-500rd break in period. 3000rds through your gun probably sounds like a lot to you but in the pistol world it isn't that much, especially since you've done that over several years and probably in decent range conditions and cleaned and lubed often. That's how Kimbers are meant to be. Low round count kept clean and lubed. Compare the $1400 price tag to an sti or Dan Wesson that can function at 5-7k rds a year without major continuous issues in moderate conditions. They have good triggers and they're accurate, no argument there, but reliability? Not a word I'd associate with them. I'll make the exception for there 70s series pistols the warrior and desert warrior (they might have one or two more, can't remember). Any of the ii series is just not worth what they ask for them compared to other 1911s out there at those prices.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

That is your opinion. I do not understand how you can't "buy into the argument that they sell a lot so that equals more complaints"? As said prior to my post just look at how many more they sell compared to other manufacturers. I also said previously that most people do not give them the chance of a break in period as required since they have tighter tolerances than many non custom 1911's. Even Les Baer and Ed Brown 1911's require a break in period.

In my experience with the pistol, it has been exceptional with its reliability after the break in period. As far as the rust goes, I did get some slight surface rust on my barrel but that is because only some of their higher end offerings have stainless barrels. If this is a problem you can choose to get a stainless barrel model or purchase one from them. There is that chance their non stainless barrels can get some surface rust but this is purely aesthetic and it did not bother me. Eventually I did go over the barrel finish with Never Dull, and it took most of it away and has not gained any since.

I have owned mine for probably around 3 years or so now and I do use it in dirty, debris type conditions and never has it malfunctioned. This isn't the only pistol I run so 3k+ rounds in 3 years is not too shabby. It got used hard and as dirty as it ever has during a course I took with MOFTA, and it kept running 100%. For the record I also paid $700 + Tax for my Custom II when I purchased it new about 3 years ago. I added some things to it that would make it have a higher price tag from the factory such as night sights, and the grips.

In no way am I trying to compare this 1911 to that of a Les Baer, Nighthawk, or Ed Brown. All I am saying is that compared to ones in the same price range such as Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, etc. the Kimber, in my opinion is a superior firearm.

That is your opinion. I do not understand how you can't "buy into the argument that they sell a lot so that equals more complaints"? As said prior to my post just look at how many more they sell compared to other manufacturers. I also said previously that most people do not give them the chance of a break in period as required since they have tighter tolerances than many non custom 1911's. Even Les Baer and Ed Brown 1911's require a break in period.

In my experience with the pistol, it has been exceptional with its reliability after the break in period. As far as the rust goes, I did get some slight surface rust on my barrel but that is because only some of their higher end offerings have stainless barrels. If this is a problem you can choose to get a stainless barrel model or purchase one from them. There is that chance their non stainless barrels can get some surface rust but this is purely aesthetic and it did not bother me. Eventually I did go over the barrel finish with Never Dull, and it took most of it away and has not gained any since.

I have owned mine for probably around 3 years or so now and I do use it in dirty, debris type conditions and never has it malfunctioned. This isn't the only pistol I run so 3k+ rounds in 3 years is not too shabby. It got used hard and as dirty as it ever has during a course I took with MOFTA, and it kept running 100%. For the record I also paid $700 + Tax for my Custom II when I purchased it new about 3 years ago. I added some things to it that would make it have a higher price tag from the factory such as night sights, and the grips.

In no way am I trying to compare this 1911 to that of a Les Baer, Nighthawk, or Ed Brown. All I am saying is that compared to ones in the same price range such as Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, etc. the Kimber, in my opinion is a superior firearm.

yes a custom ii at $700 can compare with the cheaper Springfield line fair, understood. Problem I'm saying is Kimber takes that custom ii, puts a finish on it and new grips and it's now 1200 or more. Same gun nothing but cosmetic changes. The aluminum framed guns also run feed ramps off of the frame which can wear down. If you took a custom ii and a Springfield range officer down to a 1911 Smith and said which should I build on? They're gonna go with the forged springfield 70s series. I've been there. Got nothing but eye rolls from the smiths for even thinking about using the Kimber.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of the aluminum framed models either and do agree with what you are saying for those. However, in their defense, they are made to be a lighter weight carry option 1911 that is not meant to see hard extensive use of thousands and thousands of rounds where such wear can occur.

Those $1200+ models that you speak off are often times based off of the Custom II, but have far more than just an added finish and some grips. They have premium Meprolight night sights, front checkering, differnt styles of serrations, sometimes ambi controls, and some models go through their custom shop where they do hand fitting.

The custom II's make for a great starting platfrom 1911 that has really nice qualities to them compared to other manufacturers baseline models. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Springfield and other brands too, I just happen to of chosen the Kimber and for good reasons I think. Also, I too have a reputable local gunsmith who has a Kimber that he has built upon and has nothing but good things to say about it. So to each his own. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this thread with my personal experiences with my Kimber 1911.

I do believe that in comparison to other production 1911's, Kimber has tighter tolerances which sometimes requires a 500 rounds break in period before it becomes 100% reliable, It even says it in the owners manual. I have shot many 1911's and owned a few (all production) and I can say that Kimber has been the most impressive to me.

Tighter than...? Own/owned a few, shoot a bunch more and tight tolerances never entered my mind. Tighter than other mid-range production pieces, perhaps. AFA the 500 round break-in to solve problems...I don't buy it. Never had to run 500 rounds though any other 1911 (or other models, either) to get the gun to run properly. A hickup in 500 rounds is one thing, but to expect more rounds to solve a failure that occurs once or more per magazine is ludicrous.

Owner's manuals typically warn against using reloads and insist you use trigger locks, as well.

Eddie,
You must not be very familiar with 1911's. If you don't want to take my word for the needed break in period for those with tighter tolerances, than give some manufacturers a call or just simply do a google search and look at all the information. Some 1911's with tight tolerances do run 100% right out of the box, but there are some that need a few hundred rounds usually and that is what several manufacturers and gunsmiths will tell you. My Kimber malfunctioned maybe 10 times within the first 3-400 rounds and has not had an issue since. Even a big name like Ed Brown will tell you to expect a break in period before the gun begins to run flawless.

You must not be very familiar with 1911's.

Own/owned about three dozen over the past 40 years, so I'm still a rookie.

Let's just say we have different standards and leave it at that. If you're content with what you have, that's all that matters.

I don't think a Kimber should be called a 1911, it doesn't adhere to John Brownings design. It has been modified, has an external extractor that is known to break if you have a hot load.

While they are an extremely accurate and well built pistol, I never saw a 1911 with an external extractor before...and for the same money you can get a Springfield.

That said I sold mine, kept the grips for when I eventually do pick up a Springfield.

True 1911 design was designed with NO tight tolerances in mind, no break in period, it was designed to shoot repeatedly whether caked in mud or not.

Kimber_newgrips_small.jpg

Last edited:
I have two Kimbers, a Desert Warrior 5", and my daily carry Tactical Ultra II 3.5". I have a few thousand rounds through my daily carry. The finish is worn off in places due to carrying everyday over the past 8 years or so. Still functions with no issues. I had a few failure to loads when it was new, but after a couple hundred rounds, no issues. The Desert Warrior only has a couple hundred rounds, but has never missed a beat.

I also have a S&W 1911PD. It only has a couple hundred rounds through it, but has only had one hang up. It its in my wife's nightstand. The laser sight makes it easy for her to get what she sees if it would ever be needed. Thank God she has the frame of mind to identify her target before firing, or I would be in the ground. I snuck in one morning on a rainy day when work was called off, and she met me at the end of the hall ready to defend the kids......scared the shit out of me. I no longer EVER sneak in the house quietly.

Les Bear custom shop or S&W Performance Center beat out Kimber any day of the week. For other great options look at FN or H&K as well. All of them will get you a top of the line handgun. I owned a kimber, and I sold it within 6 months. I usually don't sell handguns either. The Kimber just wasn't that good.

I don't think a Kimber should be called a 1911, it doesn't adhere to John Brownings design. It has been modified, has an external extractor that is known to break if you have a hot load.

While they are an extremely accurate and well built pistol, I never saw a 1911 with an external extractor before...and for the same money you can get a Springfield.

That said I sold mine, kept the grips for when I eventually do pick up a Springfield.

True 1911 design was designed with NO tight tolerances in mind, no break in period, it was designed to shoot repeatedly whether caked in mud or not.

Kimber_newgrips_small.jpg

My Kimbers, bought in 1999 don't have external extractors, and I don't think all Kimbers made today have one either. I still call them 1911's.
Back in the day, Kimbers were worth the price, and for 4-7 years were the hottest brand going, today, not so much. You guys really want a treat, deal with their custom shop!

Eddie,
You must not be very familiar with 1911's. If you don't want to take my word for the needed break in period for those with tighter tolerances, than give some manufacturers a call or just simply do a google search and look at all the information. Some 1911's with tight tolerances do run 100% right out of the box, but there are some that need a few hundred rounds usually and that is what several manufacturers and gunsmiths will tell you. My Kimber malfunctioned maybe 10 times within the first 3-400 rounds and has not had an issue since. Even a big name like Ed Brown will tell you to expect a break in period before the gun begins to run flawless.

I've had 3 Les Baers, with slide to frame fits so tight you could hardly rack them, never had a malfunction with any of them, even with shitty wadcutter reloads. The Kimbers, had 5-6 of them, not so reliable, one is a Gold Combat, kind of a flag ship model, though will feed most factory round ball.
My Ed Brown wouldn't even feed PNC 230gr FM's, though I think it was a crimp issue.

Personally today I think Kimbers are junk, and they'd be better off shifting their advertising dollar to quality control, or parts.

Well, my Kimber has been nothing but good to me for the 3+ years that I have owned it. I will keep it and enjoy shooting it and showing it hard use. With that said, my next 1911 will be a Les Baer Custom.

Metal, my comment about junk was a little harsh, maybe I should have said, for the price they're asking, they're junk? Lot of quality stuff out today for equal price, and Colt is one.

S&W and SIG "1911s" have external extractors. Kimber's excursion into the external extractor world lasted only a couple years, In the end they were replacing slides with internal versions. I've always been surprised they couldn't get it to work.

I've had 3 Les Baers, with slide to frame fits so tight you could hardly rack them, never had a malfunction with any of them

Destroyed a plastic bushing wrench trying to disassemble my first Baer. Finally remembered to retract the slide a bit. It was so tight I really didn't expect it to function 100 percent, but to date, not a hickup (excepting the one time I tried froglube in 40 degree temps).

S&W and SIG "1911s" have external extractors. Kimber's excursion into the external extractor world lasted only a couple years, In the end they were replacing slides with internal versions. I've always been surprised they couldn't get it to work.

Destroyed a plastic bushing wrench trying to disassemble my first Baer. Finally remembered to retract the slide a bit. It was so tight I really didn't expect it to function 100 percent, but to date, not a hickup (excepting the one time I tried froglube in 40 degree temps).

And the safety pin that comes up the slide? I forget exactly how it works but it is not an or i ginal 1911 design, did they go back to 1911 design?

And the safety pin that comes up the slide? I forget exactly how it works but it is not an or i ginal 1911 design, did they go back to 1911 design?

The Swartz (or however it's spelled) firing pin block. Still in use AFAIK. They do/did make one or two models without. I think the Desert Warrior is sans Swartz. IMO it's a solution looking for a problem.

I had a Stainless TLE II awhile back... and it had the Internal Extractor, and was a Jamming Machine.

The Swartz (or however it's spelled) firing pin block. Still in use AFAIK. They do/did make one or two models without. I think the Desert Warrior is sans Swartz. IMO it's a solution looking for a problem.

I've always heard not to ever use a 1911 with a Schwartz type firing pin Safety aka Kimbers. I guess apparently they're different than the Colt Series 80 style.