• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ko1M Results

Sandow the Heretic

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2017
AF28DC0E-B7AD-4A83-BDE6-E3CF216D18AE_1_105_c.jpeg

Congratulations to Clay, Ray and David! That was some excellent shooting!
9FC777B2-CF5E-4E0D-845B-B4391BACB999_1_105_c.jpeg

D847689B-D116-4861-AC45-14FD1721DAE1_1_105_c.jpeg

I'd like to thank our sponsors for their generous support again. We ended up with a really good prize table that all of the shooters were quite happy about. I'd also like to thank Brian Wink, Haley Hull, Randy Powell and Susan Smith for their help with scoring and monitoring impacts. Having people that can give me flexibility while scoring allows things to run faster and far smoother.

-Alex

Here are some match pics. If you want to contribute to this feel free to email me what you'd like included.

Attachments

• Ko1M 2022.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Alex. Good seeing you and great shooting by the way!!!!

Quick question :)
How were the conditions that day? It looked like a beautiful, calm, no wind day from the pictures ;)

Here is the equipment list. For people that are going to use this as a build list, my suggestion is that you look at trends rather than just go off the top.

-Alex

Attachments

• Ko1M 2022 Equipment List.pdf
    122 KB · Views: 416
Reactions: BCX and babyguppy
Glad to see so many guys using the 33XC.=the easy button lol.

Glad to see so many guys using the 33XC.=the easy button lol.
Easy button or the logical choice? 308 Win is a much more challenging choice but it is also pretty clearly the wrong choice. It isn't as easy of a choice for Ko2M but for Ko1M you can do the math fairly easily.

-Alex

Reactions: BCX
Coming from a guy that has loved the 338 LM AI for many moons! I finally have my 33XC up and running.

Yes, easy button!

Yes, logical!

KO2M i would be looking to shoot a 375 cal min..

Coming from a guy that has loved the 338 LM AI for many moons! I finally have my 33XC up and running.

Yes, easy button!

Yes, logical!

KO2M i would be looking to shoot a 375 cal min..
I think the good choices For Ko2M range from 375 CT up to 460 Steyr. Personally I tend to favor larger calibers just for the difference in splash downrange. I'll probably be converting one of my 50s to 460 in the near future but I would strongly recommend against an actual steyr though since their customer service is a flaming bag of dogshit.

-Alex

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Geno C. and BCX
The 10x100 looks BADA$$

The 10x100 looks BADA$$
They are welcome to Come and Prove It. Until then it is just a paper tiger. I've yet to see one show up in match results and you can't buy brass anywhere so as far as I'm concerned after two years as vaporware, it is a failed project. So less badass and more just bad.

I love that the one pic of a rifle I can find is fucked up as a football bat as far as ergonomics.

BWA-10x100.jpg

-Alex

• Haha
Reactions: babyguppy and BCX
I see Cadex Tremor will be offered in 10x100. Maybe Cadex has some inside info?

Shoot off was in the afternoon. Wind speed was over 16mph and fishtailing for later relays.
The thing that always surprises me is that at least in the finals where shooters can largely read the wind, the shooting order doesn't have a huge effect on outcome. Corrected vs shooting order it is enough to move you from 4th to 3rd but it is still very tight. Applying that kind of math in a match is something I'd have reservations on though. Using math that I can't get most people to understand has not worked out well in the past.

OrderVsScore.jpg

-Alex

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
The thing that always surprises me is that at least in the finals where shooters can largely read the wind, the shooting order doesn't have a huge effect on outcome. Corrected vs shooting order it is enough to move you from 4th to 3rd but it is still very tight. Applying that kind of math in a match is something I'd have reservations on though. Using math that I can't get most people to understand has not worked out well in the past.

View attachment 7948132

-Alex
To me, that shows a direct correlation to starting time to placing

To me, that shows a direct correlation to starting time to placing
Maybe best that you don't do statistics for a living then. This data is pretty close to random and the elimination of a single data point changes the trend line the other way. Any time you see a trend line where almost none of the data points are near the line, the trend line is bullshit.

tweak.jpg

-Alex

Maybe best that you don't do statistics for a living then. This data is pretty close to random and the elimination of a single data point changes the trend line the other way. Any time you see a trend line where almost none of the data points are near the line, the trend line is bullshit.

View attachment 7949358

-Alex

It may be possible to bring other factors into the analysis, such as the decisions each shooter was acting on, like drop and wind, assuming they would give you honest data (if they documented it +/- remembered it accurately). Analysis of uncertainty is difficult when you have solid controls on a limited number of variables. When I look at data like the above, I see lots of noise, and I'd expect that, given what is known and what may be unknown.

It may be possible to bring other factors into the analysis, such as the decisions each shooter was acting on, like drop and wind, assuming they would give you honest data (if they documented it +/- remembered it accurately). Analysis of uncertainty is difficult when you have solid controls on a limited number of variables. When I look at data like the above, I see lots of noise, and I'd expect that, given what is known and what may be unknown.
Complex derivatives on match scores. What could go wrong!

dumpsterfire-1.jpg

When I look at shooting order vs score, the result is almost always random. Some matches with dramatic shifts in weather show differences but it is often most surprising in how little of a difference it makes. It is in our nature to try to tease truth out of facts but the results are intrinsically subjective.

-Alex

Reactions: TripleBull
I am starting to lean towards what Alex is saying ,at first I was more inclined to see a advantage early in the day but I had a really early shooting place and really good winds I thought , but never the less were switchy as hell. I basically missed smaller but still missed , I saw the same type of missing patterns in the mid day , nothing had changed so in this particular case it seems that early morning verses mid day are not always a advantage just from my observations at the KO1M . I suspect terrain has a influence on the statistics because we had targets down in a hole with huge foot hills surrounding valley seemingly blocking the wind down on the floor of the valley but swirling never the less .you would see dust move right but you had to dial 2-3 MOA right to hit . Weird stuff down on the floor of the valley but it stayed the same all day for the most part with occasional lulls but even then the hits did not seem to increase when I was watching. The misses were still small mid day for the most part.

Last edited:
I am starting to lean towards what Alex is saying ,at first I was more inclined to see a advantage early in the day but I had a really early shooting place and really good winds I thought , but never the less were switchy as hell. I basically missed smaller but still missed , I saw the same type of missing patterns in the mid day , nothing had changed so in this particular case it seems that early morning verses mid day are not always a advantage just from my observations at the KO1M . I suspect terrain has a influence on the statistics because we had targets down in a hole with huge foot hills surrounding valley seemingly blocking the wind down on the floor of the valley but swirling never the less .you would see dust move right but you had to dial 2-3 MOA right to hit . Weird stuff down on the floor of the valley but it stayed the same all day for the most part with occasional lulls but even then the hits did not seem to increase when I was watching. The misses were still small mid day for the most part.
So here are the prelim charts done the same way. Again at a glance there is mostly just random data. Ask a bunch of people to add a trend line on their own and you'd get different answers from them all. Asking a machine to do it and you get one that has negative slope both days.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.21 AM.png

What is rather deceptive about this is that the trends are dominated by people that really ate it. They weren't missing small as Tim puts it. They only connected a few times. If we assume that these people all had something fundamentally wrong going on (shooting a 308, no spotter, weren't using a ballistics solver...) and drop scores bellow 5000 then we get this:

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.07.20 AM.png

The trend lines become flat again. There is an average difference of about 2500 from day to day but Since I had the highest rank member of each team shoot Saturday, it is potentially explainable. The best scores (which are the only ones that actually matter) also happen through the day. If I was going to put a reason on that, it would be because the best shooters can deal with the conditions as they change. If that logic is true then bad conditions probably make them stand out further from the pack.

Don't get me wrong, there are matches in which the wind picks up in a big way halfway through and some people get pretty screwed. There absolutely can be disadvantages based upon shooting order. It isn't usually the case though. I run this chart across most large matches that I run and even when I expect to see a trend based upon what I've seen the wind doing across the day, it hardly every shines through.

-Alex

The best scores (which are the only ones that actually matter) also happen through the day. If I was going to put a reason on that, it would be because the best shooters can deal with the conditions as they change. If that logic is true then bad conditions probably make them stand out further from the pack.

Don't get me wrong, there are matches in which the wind picks up in a big way halfway through and some people get pretty screwed. There absolutely can be disadvantages based upon shooting order. It isn't usually the case though.

Just visiting with Dave some, he said most were using just spin drift on Saturday even in the afternoon and he was the second shooter on Sunday and was using 9 minutes of wind to impact. So yes every day is a new day it always sucks to wake up in the morning and winds are already blowing good but I will take full value versus light winds switching left - right at your 12 or 6.

Alex and Jay, you folks had a great KO1M event, it was well done.

osoh
JH

Quick Question - Are the following rules still in effect for ELR 2022?
ELR Heavy class
Up to 50 Caliber
50 Pounds or less
Any bipod
Up to 2 spotters
ELR light class
338 caliber and below
.585 bolt face and smaller
26 pounds or less
Any bipod
Up to 2 spotters

No boltface restrictions at any match that I’ve heard. Bipods are restricted and weight is 40lb for ko2m match only.

Reactions: babyguppy
Quick Question - Are the following rules still in effect for ELR 2022?
ELR Heavy class
Up to 50 Caliber
50 Pounds or less
Any bipod
Up to 2 spotters
ELR light class
338 caliber and below
.585 bolt face and smaller
26 pounds or less
Any bipod
Up to 2 spotters
Light gun
338 and 26 pounds
Bipod rule and spotter rule vary from match to match

Ko1M
338 and 26 pounds
folding bipods only
1 spotter only

Heavy
50 caliber and 50 pounds
Bipod rule and spotter rule vary from match to match

Ko2M
40 pounds and any caliber (approval required for calibers over 50)
folding bipods only
1 spotter only

Most of that hasn't changed in 3 years.

-Alex

Reactions: babyguppy
Out of curiosity, why the KO1M has two targets beyond the 1760 yards mark, at 1909 and 2391?

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
Out of curiosity, why the KO1M has two targets beyond the 1760 yards mark, at 1909 and 2391?
Ko1M started as an intro ELR match overseas for countries where running Ko2M was going to have very low turn out just because of the guns people owned or could own. In most of those countries now, 1 mile is also too close for the kind of ranges people are consistent at and they are moving beyond 1 Mile. For the US, we already had a decent established history of performance out to 2400ish so it was a logical range cap.

-Alex

Reactions: LastShot300