Krag Carbine M1898

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
Some of you know that I have a soft spot for old surplus rifles. Well this time I think I took that to new hights. I have just purchased a U.S. Magazine Carbine Model of 1898 (Krag) from a local guy up here. Bubba has gotten to this thing pretty hard, but the action and bore haven't been tampered with as far as I can tell. I hate to see an antique milsurp looking like this, so does anybody know of a 'smith in the US who can do restorations on these old Krags?

(I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, but my personal computer is down, and I can't post pics on my work computer)

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
Re: Krag Carbine M1896

What needs restoring? Are you sure it's a real carbine and not a cut down rifle? Certainly Doug Turnbull could restore it as he did this (see below) but how deep are your pockets?
This guy has/had(?) repro stocks
http://www.gun-parts.com/militarystocks/
Krags are a blast to shoot with cast bullets and moderate loads!

DSCN1812.jpg

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA

Well the stock and rear sight needs to be completely replaced, and the finnish is down to bare metal across probably 75% of the gun. I've seen Mr. Turnbull's work. He does amazing things, but my pockets aren't quite that deep...

And I'm pretty sure it's an original carbine.

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming

Well before you spend money on it you should by Brophy's book on the Krag and be sure of what you have as a carbine is worth big bucks, a cut down rifle not so.
if the stock is an original but butchered it's easy to tell if it was a carbine stock or not.

doc76251

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA

I'd be more than happy to buy it from you and give her the tender loving care she needs. It's one of 4 rifles I am looking for to finish out my U.S. collection.

Barring that call John Spangler in Utah. His web site is
www.OldGuns.net . He re-did a Smith Carbine for me and it was amazing. Tell him Doc from VA Beach sent you.

Cheers,

Doc

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA

I try not to sell guns once I get 'em, but thanks for the offer Doc. And thanks for the recomendation on Spangler. I'll look into it
smile.gif