• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG X-Ray vs MPA BA Lite Side Folding Chassis for long range hunting

Berzurker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
If you are considering the MPA at that price point why not go with the Whiskey 3 gen 5 I have one and love it, it will be a little more for the folding option but not much. The new gen 5's are pretty lite when you get the fixed instead of the folding option, I am not talking you out of either one nut that naked aluminum gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I am a little biased though, good luck

If you are considering the MPA at that price point why not go with the Whiskey 3 gen 5 I have one and love it, it will be a little more for the folding option but not much. The new gen 5's are pretty lite when you get the fixed instead of the folding option, I am not talking you out of either one nut that naked aluminum gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I am a little biased though, good luck

I do really like the W3 gen 5 and I'm glad that you are having good luck with yours! For my particular purpose, I just cant really justify the extra weight and expense when I will most likely set the stock up once and never alter it again. If I was going to be altering the stock very often I would definitely be considering the gen 3 however.

I know another cheap/light option is the XLR element. The only thing I dont like about that is the drop in the stock. I feel like it will make the recoil raise the muzzle and I want a stock that can push more straight back if that makes any sense.

I have shot behind both of your listed chassis.
I favor the MPA in function and aesthetics.
A hunting rig should be light, accurate and simple in design.
Skip the folding option for a hunting stock, added weight is rarely a plus.

R

I have shot behind both of your listed chassis.
I favor the MPA in function and aesthetics.
A hunting rig should be light, accurate and simple in design.
Skip the folding option for a hunting stock, added weight is rarely a plus.

R

Thanks for the response Rthur. I could definitely save some weight and scratch by not going with the folding option. The advantage I saw was transportation in a vehicle, but that is honestly not much of a concern. I had also thought that I may be able to strap it onto my pack for easier hiking, but again, that would have the disadvantage of less accessibility.

When you say function and aesthetics, do you include comfort in that? In other words, is the MPA more comfortable to handle and/or shoot offhand? How about ruggedness? Do you feel that one is more likely to hold up if you dropped it off a small ledge onto a pile of rocks lol?

Thanks for the response Rthur. I could definitely save some weight and scratch by not going with the folding option. The advantage I saw was transportation in a vehicle, but that is honestly not much of a concern. I had also thought that I may be able to strap it onto my pack for easier hiking, but again, that would have the disadvantage of less accessibility.

When you say function and aesthetics, do you include comfort in that? In other words, is the MPA more comfortable to handle and/or shoot offhand? How about ruggedness? Do you feel that one is more likely to hold up if you dropped it off a small ledge onto a pile of rocks lol?

For me it was the general layout of the cheek piece grip ergonomics so to speak.
My mags were easier to insert and drop on the MPA also.
Adding or subtracting accessories is more complicated on the x-ray.
I'd give ruggedness to the MPA.
I didn't spend a lot of time in the offhand position, both being square it should be a wash.

R

Awesome R, thanks for your feedback. Anyone else have a similar or different experience?

I have not shot the MPA but i just purchased the krg 180 for my cz455. Was super impressed with the weight feels very good. I would have no issues using it in the field, which i will take it out for ground hogs this summer.

Please note, the KRG X-ray does not include QD sockets or any method of attaching a sling without buying additional parts. The MPA is ready to go. Since this is a hunting rig, make sure you can attach your sling without adding additonal weight that is unnecessary.