• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger_Tactics: Long Range Precision Marksmanship - Part 2: INTRODUCTION TO HOLDING

So update.

Got the scope on the rifle. Managed to use a scope reticle hold on a guy and shot him with my first shot. Good to go.

Now for the rest of you, I'm not really sure how much this 'hold on the reticle' thing really matters. Seeing as how the guy was 7 yards away, I could basically 'hold' on the entire reticle and hit him anyways.

I hope Part 3 is more of a help.
Wouldn't the guys height have a bearing on whether that would work at 7 yards. I mean what if he is really short?

So update.

Got the scope on the rifle. Managed to use a scope reticle hold on a guy and shot him with my first shot. Good to go.

Now for the rest of you, I'm not really sure how much this 'hold on the reticle' thing really matters. Seeing as how the guy was 7 yards away, I could basically 'hold' on the entire reticle and hit him anyways.

I hope Part 3 is more of a help
Part 3 : Stop the Bleed

Krieger_Tactics:

Long Range Precision Marksmanship - Part 2

INTRODUCTION TO “HOLDING”

MY BACKGROUND

My call sign is Krieger. I am a former Special Forces Soldier (7th Special Forces Group, Ft. Bragg, NC), former security contractor , former instructor (Department of State), and current Unconventional Asset Recovery Agent.

I provide this information in the hope that it will provide a means for a marksman who is looking to improve his or her level of marksmanship and ability.

WRITTEN FOR
While advanced scopes and reticles exist, there are some personnel who still utilize the MIL dot system. This post has been written for this demographic of marksman.

POINTS OF INFORMATION
This post is written from a general assumption that anything not covered in-depth is understood by the reader. Over time I will be returning to this post and explaining many of the points that I don't cover in depth in the next two posts. If you have any questions, if there is something that I don't cover well, if I need to clarify a point or any point, please do not hesitate to reach out and ask for clarification on this thread, or DM me directly.

USE OF MIL DOTS
MIL dot reticles can be utilized to measure objects, estimate range, measure for corrections of round impacts, etc. For those who may not be familiar with the MIL dot reticle, there is one depicted in the first slide attached to this post.

FACTORS TO BE ACCOUNTED FOR IN LONG RANGE PRECISION MARKSMANSHIP
Before a marksman takes a long-range precision shot, there are several factors that need to be accounted for. For now, we’ll only address two of these factors: Windage and Elevation.

WINDAGE AND ELEVATION
-Windage is the calculated effect (left or right of the center of the target) that the marksman projects that the wind and various other factors will have on the fired round during flight.
-Elevation is the calculated deviation that the round will strike above or below the center of the target based on distance from the marksman to the target.

CALCULATING ADJUSTMENTS
The effects of windage and elevation will cause the strike of the round to deviate from center mass of the target. The marksman calculates the adjustments that need to be applied in order to bring the strike of the round back to center of the target.
There are multiple ways to make this adjustment/correction.
I will be discussing one of them; Holds for elevation.

HOLDS
Once the marksman has determined the distance to the target the marksman can utilize the Data On Previous Engagements (DOPE) that has been gathered and recorded in the marksman (sniper in military terms) log book in order to identify the MILs that must be “held” off of the center cross-hair in order to allow/bring the bullet onto the center of the target.

An example of this process is captured below in writing and in the visual aids attached to this post.
Based on a example .308 175-gr trajectory for the M118 (which I used many years ago) a marksman would apply the following MIL holds for a 100 yard zero (https://www.snipershide.com/.../specifications-for.../)

METERS: 100 MIL HOLD: 0.0 point of aim/point of impact
METERS: 200 MIL HOLD: 0.5 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round
METERS: 300 MIL HOLD: 1.5 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round
METERS: 400 MIL HOLD: 1.95 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round
METERS: 500 MIL HOLD: 2.9 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round

VISUAL EXAMPLES
Slides 2-6 provide a visual graphic of the "holds" as noted above. The center of each target is identified, as well as the location of the cross-hair as it is being held in order to demonstrate visually how each subsequent range necesitates a "higher" hold. These graphics provide you with the ability to note and understand the "holding" process described above.

To note, I created these graphics utilzing powerpoint and thus they are not 100% to scale, however I feel that they are close enough to accomplish the intent here - which is to provide the reader with the ability to visually identify the holding for elevation (range) process.

ALWAYS TRUE?
The provided calculations (holds) are not true for every instance using M118, nor for every M24 sniper weapon system, nor every caliber, nor even every instance using M118.

In fact, there are several factors that influence the hold that a marksman would need to apply. In order to know your "hold" you would have to engage a target at each range and note that in your shooter's log book.

I simply provide this information as a Segway to an introduction to “holds” and to assist in facilitating the understanding of the process.

We will utilize this information in the next post when I discuss reestablishing zero at 500 meters and why a military sniper or tactical competition marksman would do so.

TAKE AWAY
For those who wish to utilize the MIL dot reticle system, being familiar with calculating and applying holds can be an extremely efficient method to engage targets at distances. As we continue to work together in this series of posts I hope to provide you with the means to do so efficiently and effectively.

-Krieger_Tactics

MIL dot reticle system:

View attachment 7779937

View attachment 7779936

View attachment 7779938

View attachment 7779939
View attachment 7779940
View attachment 7779941
D9BA70C7-B1CE-4A65-A34A-6A1D662F76D5.jpeg

Krieger_Tactics:

Long Range Precision Marksmanship - Part 2

INTRODUCTION TO “HOLDING”

MY BACKGROUND
My call sign is Krieger. I am a former Special Forces Soldier (7th Special Forces Group, Ft. Bragg, NC), former security contractor , former instructor (Department of State), and current Unconventional Asset Recovery Agent.

I provide this information in the hope that it will provide a means for a marksman who is looking to improve his or her level of marksmanship and ability.

WRITTEN FOR
While advanced scopes and reticles exist, there are some personnel who still utilize the MIL dot system. This post has been written for this demographic of marksman.

POINTS OF INFORMATION
This post is written from a general assumption that anything not covered in-depth is understood by the reader. Over time I will be returning to this post and explaining many of the points that I don't cover in depth in the next two posts. If you have any questions, if there is something that I don't cover well, if I need to clarify a point or any point, please do not hesitate to reach out and ask for clarification on this thread, or DM me directly.

USE OF MIL DOTS
MIL dot reticles can be utilized to measure objects, estimate range, measure for corrections of round impacts, etc. For those who may not be familiar with the MIL dot reticle, there is one depicted in the first slide attached to this post.

FACTORS TO BE ACCOUNTED FOR IN LONG RANGE PRECISION MARKSMANSHIP
Before a marksman takes a long-range precision shot, there are several factors that need to be accounted for. For now, we’ll only address two of these factors: Windage and Elevation.

WINDAGE AND ELEVATION
-Windage is the calculated effect (left or right of the center of the target) that the marksman projects that the wind and various other factors will have on the fired round during flight.
-Elevation is the calculated deviation that the round will strike above or below the center of the target based on distance from the marksman to the target.

CALCULATING ADJUSTMENTS
The effects of windage and elevation will cause the strike of the round to deviate from center mass of the target. The marksman calculates the adjustments that need to be applied in order to bring the strike of the round back to center of the target.
There are multiple ways to make this adjustment/correction.
I will be discussing one of them; Holds for elevation.

HOLDS
Once the marksman has determined the distance to the target the marksman can utilize the Data On Previous Engagements (DOPE) that has been gathered and recorded in the marksman (sniper in military terms) log book in order to identify the MILs that must be “held” off of the center cross-hair in order to allow/bring the bullet onto the center of the target.

An example of this process is captured below in writing and in the visual aids attached to this post.
Based on a example .308 175-gr trajectory for the M118 (which I used many years ago) a marksman would apply the following MIL holds for a 100 yard zero (https://www.snipershide.com/.../specifications-for.../)

METERS: 100 MIL HOLD: 0.0 point of aim/point of impact
METERS: 200 MIL HOLD: 0.5 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round
METERS: 300 MIL HOLD: 1.5 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round
METERS: 400 MIL HOLD: 1.95 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round
METERS: 500 MIL HOLD: 2.9 higher than center mass/ desired strike of the round

VISUAL EXAMPLES
Slides 2-6 provide a visual graphic of the "holds" as noted above. The center of each target is identified, as well as the location of the cross-hair as it is being held in order to demonstrate visually how each subsequent range necesitates a "higher" hold. These graphics provide you with the ability to note and understand the "holding" process described above.

To note, I created these graphics utilzing powerpoint and thus they are not 100% to scale, however I feel that they are close enough to accomplish the intent here - which is to provide the reader with the ability to visually identify the holding for elevation (range) process.

ALWAYS TRUE?
The provided calculations (holds) are not true for every instance using M118, nor for every M24 sniper weapon system, nor every caliber, nor even every instance using M118.

In fact, there are several factors that influence the hold that a marksman would need to apply. In order to know your "hold" you would have to engage a target at each range and note that in your shooter's log book.

I simply provide this information as a Segway to an introduction to “holds” and to assist in facilitating the understanding of the process.

We will utilize this information in the next post when I discuss reestablishing zero at 500 meters and why a military sniper or tactical competition marksman would do so.

TAKE AWAY
For those who wish to utilize the MIL dot reticle system, being familiar with calculating and applying holds can be an extremely efficient method to engage targets at distances. As we continue to work together in this series of posts I hope to provide you with the means to do so efficiently and effectively.

-Krieger_Tactics

MIL dot reticle system:

Reactions: beavis1971
Hello TacticalDillhole,

Let me be the first to inform you... Loophole shooting is way outside of my ability. I've done it once... Long ago... It was difficult then and I'm sure that it'd be even more difficult now.

When this series gets to loophole shooting I would be more than happy to your or anyone else's expertise in this field.

-Krieger

It's basic trajectory analysis. Something any ballistic solver can do for you in seconds and some basic trigonometry can do in a few minutes with a simple calculator.

Reactions: camocorvette
No idea what the scopes were. It didn't affect the instruction, so I did not bother to find out.

I can think of several ways in which specific features of an optical sight will affect the plan of instruction.

Can you?

Might want to not post in color as the color blind can’t see your posts. Kind of thought with your professed background that would be obvious

Reactions: Ravenworks
Might want to also read through the forum before shameless promotions as all of the “not familiar with that one” is covered somewhere here
Become a supporter of the site or commercial sponsor and you can see everything

Ok, gratuitous niceness done: Carry on gents!

Reactions: Ravenworks
He rides into battle in this

1962-White-Motor-Company-5000-COE-truck.jpg
If you had cutting brakes on that bad boy…… you could charge into battle, lock up the right rear while turning right, giver some throttle, simultaneously placing the winch into freewheel, and throw the attached grappling hook into a group of bg’s. And then reel them back in for interview.

The military's "new" TTP's regarding mil-based optics aren't that new, they started phasing straight mildot scopes out more than 15 years ago. I did got to the Leupold site and I think I found two riflescopes that have a mildot reticle, the rest were mil-based TMR, PR1, CCH, H59, Tremor3, maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. I'm not sure how it is in other forums but most here aren't flocking to Leupold or grabbing one of their straight mildot models, if they do. Leupold has a well documented history of not really pay attention to the market and then getting dragged kicking and screaming into their half-assed attempt to put out a product.

But I digress

I think it's fine you're starting at the basics but the information on how to use a mil-based reticle is literally everywhere and applies equally to a mildot reticle, MIL-R, CCH, etc... I'm also not sure what relevance the duplex reticle plays in the discussion regarding mil-based reticles, there's way to work with it for long range work but it's germane to this topic.

I agree there can be a delta between true dope and the BDC but you lost me on that last part.

Again, I don't think there's really a gap, I can google "how to use a mildot reticle" and come back with a lot of results, like a lot a lot, on the order of 1.3M results. I am curious about the "advanced" techniques.

Yes you can google "How to use a mildot reticle" and come back with a lot of results. However, there are individuals who have commented that they are following and are learning. The only way one can be learning is if there was a gap in information.

If Google searches provided all of the needed information, then I would have to ask, why do we have forums and why do people look at posts in for

Respectfully,

-Krieger

Might want to not post in color as the color blind can’t see your posts. Kind of thought with your professed background that would be obvious

I appreciate the information. A few people noted that. I have since changed the main posts to black, and the replies will be in black lettering as well.

-Krieger

Might want to also read through the forum before shameless promotions as all of the “not familiar with that one” is covered somewhere here
Become a supporter of the site or commercial sponsor and you can see everything

Ok, gratuitous niceness done: Carry on gents!

The forum rules state that one cannot advertise is they are not a supporter. The forum rules also state that one can answer questions if posed in threads.

I have not initiated any promotions. The discussion of any commercial business have all originated from those who are reading the posts and replying. I am simply answering their questions.

I appreciate your note, however. I am quite in compliance.

-Krieger

I can think of several ways in which specific features of an optical sight will affect the plan of instruction.

Can you?

Thank you for your query. I am grateful to you for providing me with an opportunity to respond and provide the forum personnel with information.

As I continue to post it will become apparent that I am aware of several ways that specific features of an optical sight can and would affect the plan of instruction.

As the posts are populated, if you have some suggestions and you would like to share them I would be more than grateful.

Respectfully,

-Krieger

It's basic trajectory analysis. Something any ballistic solver can do for you in seconds and some basic trigonometry can do in a few minutes with a simple calculator.

I appreciate the didactic as well as the videos. There will be a point where this will be a natural next point of instruction. As it appears that you are very well versed on this subject, I defer to your expertise.

-Krieger

@Krieger_Tactics

Why does your company email come back as not working, as well as the company phone number? How can we get in touch with you? Would like to book a class, with you.

The messenger on the site doesn’t work either. Any examination?

So update.

I hope Part 3 is more of a help.
Was it a nut shot? Pics would be useful.

Yes you can google "How to use a mildot reticle" and come back with a lot of results. However, there are individuals who have commented that they are following and are learning. The only way one can be learning is if there was a gap in information.

If Google searches provided all of the needed information, then I would have to ask, why do we have forums and why do people look at posts in for

Respectfully,

-Krieger

I appreciate the information. A few people noted that. I have since changed the main posts to black, and the replies will be in black lettering as well.

-Krieger

We must be reading different threads. Anyway, a person learns something because there was an information gap in their own knowledge. You're making it seem that because someone somewhere is learning about mildots from you then there's a gap in the collective knowledge base regarding mildots.

I'm also not sure where you're going with the existential meaning to internet forums but I figure they're around for many of the same reasons the Romans created them. We have a section quasi-dedicated to tits, another talks about gear, we even have a section for some guns as it were. Like the forums in ancient times it's not only a place to share information but vigorously debate it, possibly shoot it down and hurt some feelings along the way.

Reactions: ACard and Im2bent
With black you say....

View attachment 7781623

Well that sure helped...

Thanks!

Sirhr

You can always go into your preferences and change the layout to "Sniper's Hide Light" (or whatever it's called) So you can read it.

That's IF you care. I don't and I didn't. If this dumbshit thinks he's so special that he posts in red, his posts are not worth anyone's time, just based on that alone. But wait, there's so much more......:rolleyes:

Wanker.

Last edited:
OK so let's try this. Dear OP let's try an analogy. You are the guest speaker at a University and you will be speaking to a class of Grad students. These guys are getting their doctorates in Astrophysics and you break out a chart of the solar system and show them where Uranus is.......it won't go well.