• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ladder test 338 lapua

ELKMAN338

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
roosevelt ut
Hey guys I have another ? I'm just wondering how you guys play with seating depth when doing a ladder test. I've measured my mag and it will accept the cartridge at full length touching the lands.
I was going to a test with different charge weights and try to find my accuracy node with 5thou of lands. Then from there going to play with seating depth but wont different charge weights like different seating depths.
That would get real expensive doing a ladder test with changing the seating depth every thous. Thx for your help

Take a OAL that has the bullet touching the lands, and find the charge weight that shoots well at the fast node of your rifle right under obvious pressure signs (and work up slowly from a lot lower CW).

Now as you back the bullet off of the lands, pressure will go down until you are way-way far from the lands. So, you find the jump distance where that CW works best, knowing that you will not be expecting pressure signs in this seating depth experiment.