• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder Test- Hide Input wanted on the next step

Bradu
I would want no chronograph at the range and the seating depth at the maximum length it will ever be used at be that the full jam length or maximum magazine length.
That method keeps a shooter from ever having pressure problems by playing with the seating depth.
The bullets need to be measured with a comparator for the seating depth and the charge weights need to be in 0.3 or 0.4 grain increments and measured carefully not dumped from a thrower.
Shooting off a front bag is preferred over a bipod as well.
No substitutions at all.
Once this is done the shooter will have the best seating depth for any common bullet except monolithic solids.
These bullets can no longer be purchased it just eliminates another variable.
I have seen 0.023 variation in 105 grain bullets out of the same box which would make getting them to shoot small all but impossible.

Are you wanting a ladder done, if so, what distance? It's not the best but a have a Bald eagle rest and a rabbit ear bag I can use.

Spife
But since your here if your sure you have the 0.104 freebore there is a node at 31.5 grains as well that produces 2970 FPS and gives world class accuracy. You have to use CCI 450 Magnum primers because at 31.7 they will pop even with a 0.062 firing pin and a good spring.
Extreme Spread should be around 4-5 FPS for a 5 shot string.
RE15 works extremely good as well.

I've got a 26" 8 twist barrel so.... At 30.4 right now.
Yep, 450's.
Small FP/hole.

Spife = 6mmXC

Yes I want someone here to do a ladder test because nobody will believe my video of a first time lady shooter using one of my rifles.
Oops distance would be 200 or 300 yards because at 100 yards it will only show 3/4 inch of vertical for 3 grains of powder change.

Yes I want someone here to do a ladder test because nobody will believe my video of a first time lady shooter using one of my rifles.
Oops distance would be 200 or 300 yards because at 100 yards it will only show 3/4 inch of vertical for 3 grains of powder change.

I will get brass prepped and loaded for this and go the next day the weather is decent. I have a 6.5 saum barrel on the way as well and I will do it in too. What increments do you want for that? My current load maxes out at 61 grains with the barrel I have now.

Bradu
Bullets are 6mm not 6.5

I plan on trying this method with my 6 creedmoor as well as the 6.5 saum barrel that should be finished up soon. I want to try it with multiple rifles exactly how you say to do it. I want more than one sample to go off of to compare to my regular load development method.

Bradu
Use the highest magnification scope you have on the highest setting.
Use the lightest trigger pull you have available to you.
Use a target flipped over so there is nothing there but a blank piece of paper.
Shoot 4-5 shots at a different target to get your zero which should be about 1/2 inch high of your bullseye.
Use a ink pen to make your aiming point and make it as small as you can see it at the distance you will be firing.
We don't want the cross hairs covering up your point of aim but we don't want your crosshairs swimming around either.
Aim small to shoot small so nothing but an aiming point.
You said you have a front rest but the most important part is that the front bag fits the forend? You should be able to quickly put the gun in the front rest and walk away without the gun moving at all.
Let us know about your set-up.

Bradu
Use the highest magnification scope you have on the highest setting.
Use the lightest trigger pull you have available to you.
Use a target flipped over so there is nothing there but a blank piece of paper.
Shoot 4-5 shots at a different target to get your zero which should be about 1/2 inch high of your bullseye.
Use a ink pen to make your aiming point and make it as small as you can see it at the distance you will be firing.
We don't want the cross hairs covering up your point of aim but we don't want your crosshairs swimming around either.
Aim small to shoot small so nothing but an aiming point.
You said you have a front rest but the most important part is that the front bag fits the forend? You should be able to quickly put the gun in the front rest and walk away without the gun moving at all.
Let us know about your set-up.

I have a 3" wide plate to bolt to the forearm and it fits snug in the front bag. I just have to slot the holes in the mill and countersink them.

Reactions: Lynn Jr
Please humour me and do a test with 38.8
Youre going to enjoy seeing this target...

That is a retarded, ridiculously tiny group! Too bad the SDs didn't follow it! 15 isn't terrible but would have been awesome to see it around 10 or less. Good shooting @spife7980 !

There is a good argument to try that seating depth at 39.1 +-.1gr to see if SDs follow and have same precision.

That is a retarded, ridiculously tiny group! Too bad the SDs didn't follow it! 15 isn't terrible but would have been awesome to see it around 10 or less. Good shooting @spife7980 !

There is a good argument to try that seating depth at 39.1 +-.1gr to see if SDs follow and have same precision.
It had good vertical at distance and it is accurate at 100 yards so It begs the question, is SD as important as we all think it is. I would like to see if that group can be replicated with the same seating depth and charge.

Reactions: 47guy
It had good vertical at distance and it is accurate at 100 yards so It begs the question, is SD as important as we all think it is. I would like to see if that group can be replicated with the same seating depth and charge.
Valid question. I don't worry too much about SD inside 800... Beyond that it shows up pretty fast. Especially with lighter bullets.

At 700, 6.5cm will be .7MOA different with a 25fps spread. At 1000, its over 1.3moa and continues to grow. That's well over enough to miss at PRS size targets even with perfect hold.

Reactions: AMGtuned
is 2.125 5 shots in one hole?
Pretty much, a bit wollered out but yeah.
The 2.125 would be .015 off touch the last I measured.

I was planning on doing a .2 ocw next but I guess I’ll just load up these to see if they repeat and how they do at distance

Valid question. I don't worry too much about SD inside 800... Beyond that it shows up pretty fast. Especially with lighter bullets.

At 700, 6.5cm will be .7MOA different with a 25fps spread. At 1000, its over 1.3moa and continues to grow. That's well over enough to miss at PRS size targets even with perfect hold.

Are you sure a 25fps spread would be 13” at 1000yds?

Same bullet and atmospherics/environment. 26fps difference: 2806fps has 292.4" drop and 2780fpa has 306.2" drop. 13.8" difference to according to AB Mobile.

If you believe calculators are correct, then yes I'm pretty sure. And it falls inline with my experience at 1k+.

To clarify my statement about missing "PRS size[d] targets", if an a rifle and shooter are capable of 1MOA group at distance with very low SD (single digit SD) that means any given shot could be +- 1/2moa from point of aim.

If you toss a shot that is on the extreme low point of aim AND happens to be extreme edge of velocity (say -26fps from average) shot would be 1.8MOA low of point of aim (.5 low due to shooter + 1.3moa low due to velocity= 1.8moa).

Average PRS prone long range target is 2-3MOA, which means maximum of 1-1.5MOA above or below center to impact target. In this case, you would mis bottom edge by .3MOA or about 3" low.

So yes, SD can cause misses with otherwise acceptable shot.

And as @Lynn Jr said, the ES would be much higher for this load. If SD is 15fps that means 68% of shots will fall within -+15fps of average or 30fps spread for 68%. 95% of shots would fall within +- 30fps or about 60fps ES. So the variation at range would be much worse than original example.

And I 100% agree with you about it being too picky at 38.8. but that could also be the RDF... His groups mirror my own experience with the 140 RDF: same load would be 1 holer followed by scatter, rinse and repeat. Too inconsistent for my liking in general.

And as @Lynn Jr said, the ES would be much higher for this load. If SD is 15fps that means 68% of shots will fall within -+15fps of average or 30fps spread for 68%. 95% of shots would fall within +- 30fps or about 60fps ES. So the variation at range would be much worse than original example.

And I 100% agree with you about it being too picky at 38.8. but that could also be the RDF... His groups mirror my own experience with the 140 RDF: same load would be 1 holer followed by scatter, rinse and repeat. Too inconsistent for my liking in general.

Agree about the RDFs and I’d bet that group would not hold up.

As far as ESs and SDs go I’ve seen factory rifles shooting factory ammo with a 40fps ESs bang 8” and 12” targets at 850yds with 10 and 12 hits outta 15 two times in a row from two different rifles....now granted this was in near perfect conditions.

I shoot a 6BRX and it consistently has a 14-16fps ES with 30-40 round samples...it will stack rounds in 2-3” groups at 650yds and I’ve shot a few at 1082 under 5”.

Was supposed to be 40 not 50 on the factory ESs I corrected it.

Last edited:
Agree about the RDFs and I’d bet that group would not hold up.

As far as ESs and SDs go I’ve seen factory rifles shooting factory ammo with a 40fps ESs bang 8” and 12” targets at 850yds with 10 and 12 hits outta 15 two times in a row from two different rifles....now granted this was in near perfect conditions.

I shoot a 6BRX and it consistently has a 14-16fps ES with 30-40 round samples...it will stack rounds in 2-3” groups at 650yds and I’ve shot a few at 1082 under 5”.

Was supposed to be 40 not 50 on the factory ESs I corrected it.
I've definitely seen what you are referring to. And I've seen the opposite as well. The concept of "positive convergence" or something like that supports what you are saying.

Basically a slow bullet exits muzzle at slightly higher angle than faster bullet (exits lower) and at some point their paths cross producing virtually zero vertical spread.

But in general, your shots will be more centered (elevation) more often with better SD. 40 ES isn't actually that bad though (over say 20 shots), and even then, vertical change won't show up until well past 700-800 depending on caliber. This is virtually an indisputable fact of physics if all else is held constant, and if it wasn't the case, the benchrest, FTR and FOpen guys would simply shoot any load regardless of SD/ES.

Years ago, I shot several 1K FTR matches using a factory Weatherby barrel with SDs in the 15-18s range and my 20 shot strings were usually 24" tall and circular . It would shoot .5MOA out to 500-600 and grow from there.

Then I shot a friend's proper FTR rifle in practice and 20 shot strings was <9" tall and 20" wide. Half the vertical and half the SD. I still sucked at wind calls....?

I've definitely seen what you are referring to. And I've seen the opposite as well. The concept of "positive convergence" or something like that supports what you are saying.

Basically a slow bullet exits muzzle at slightly higher angle than faster bullet (exits lower) and at some point their paths cross producing virtually zero vertical spread.

But in general, your shots will be more centered (elevation) more often with better SD. 40 ES isn't actually that bad though (over say 20 shots), and even then, vertical change won't show up until well past 700-800 depending on caliber. This is virtually an indisputable fact of physics if all else is held constant, and if it wasn't the case, the benchrest, FTR and FOpen guys would simply shoot any load regardless of SD/ES.

Years ago, I shot several 1K FTR matches using a factory Weatherby barrel with SDs in the 15-18s range and my 20 shot strings were usually 24" tall and circular . It would shoot .5MOA out to 500-600 and grow from there.

Then I shot a friend's proper FTR rifle in practice and 20 shot strings was <9" tall and 20" wide. Half the vertical and half the SD. I still sucked at wind calls....?

i agree and like you ive put a LOT of rounds down range shooting different disciplines including a few 600 and 1000yd F-class matches and i figure when i cant move around anymore ill go BR or F-class....wont be long LOL!

im not bragging or claiming to be some super shooter or and expert on ballistics because im not....im just a roofer that shoots a lot.

that said when i first started all this about 16yrs ago i went online and started searching for best loading equipment,best components ECT...i got a basic idea of what i thought would work and got started. after getting a decent handle on things i went back on line to see how the pros loaded for accuracy and what they did to get there...big mistake....WAYYY to much conflicting info so again i turned off the computer and shot out 2 300wm barrels and almost 2 260rem barrels testing things.

ive trimmed meplats and tipped bullets..turned necks from clean up to full turn..uniformed primer pockets and flash holes..sorted bullets by weight and barring surface...primers by weight..brass by internal capacity..different neck tensions and probably a few thing ive forgotten and tested all of this one step at a time at 500-1000yds.
ive broke barrels in using the full shoot one clean shoot 5 clean for the first 50ish rounds and ive just shot them.
ive cleaned every time ive shot more then 10 rounds and ive shot 900 rounds without cleaning.

26 barrels and working on 27 and 28 now with 29 and 30 sitting in the safe ready to spin on....out of these barrels ive had 4 bad barrels....3 went south WAY before they should have and one after 600 rounds and cutting 4" off and another 300 rounds would never shoot less than about 3/4"-1"...ive shot shilen,criterion,bartlein,hawkhill,kreiger and brux right now and a muller works in the safe.
i live 10 minutes from where i shoot and would go out 4 times a day some times in the beginning.

now after all of that ive come to the conclusion that reloading is probably the most over thought thing there is is shooting and maybe even the world LOL....i dont do any of the shit above anymore...i might if i was an F-class guy or BR shooter because when all those tolerances are stacked it makes a difference...just not enough(for me)to make it worth the time spent doing it for the types of shooting i do right now.

all this trying to load perfect ammo with SUPER low ESs-SDs is all great and someone may have a 5 or 10 shot string with low ESs...i have...i shot a 6.5x47 for awhile that would do 0 and 1fps ESs with 5 and 10 shots...i think ive posted a few of them here...but when id shoot 40-50 rounds over the MS it NEVER held up and id end up somewhere between 10 and 20fps.

when im doing load development im looking for 3 tight groups with close to the same POI...i dont chase neck tension or powder weight by .1g and when i do chase seating depth its in .010 increments not .005...IMHO if your chasing things that close its not a stable load...i will change primers to see if things tighten up but i only use FED205Ms and CCI450s.

again im no expert...i can barely use my shooter app LOL....i just know what i know from shooting a shit ton of rounds through several different barrels in several different calibers.

I was asking a question but sense you ask I am after all I do live in Nevada.
I was busting your balls; I would've bet my round count, in any denomination, that @Subwrx300 had the rounds, and facts, to back that statement.

i agree and like you ive put a LOT of rounds down range shooting different disciplines including a few 600 and 1000yd F-class matches and i figure when i cant move around anymore ill go BR or F-class....wont be long LOL!

im not bragging or claiming to be some super shooter or and expert on ballistics because im not....im just a roofer that shoots a lot.

that said when i first started all this about 16yrs ago i went online and started searching for best loading equipment,best components ECT...i got a basic idea of what i thought would work and got started. after getting a decent handle on things i went back on line to see how the pros loaded for accuracy and what they did to get there...big mistake....WAYYY to much conflicting info so again i turned off the computer and shot out 2 300wm barrels and almost 2 260rem barrels testing things.

ive trimmed meplats and tipped bullets..turned necks from clean up to full turn..uniformed primer pockets and flash holes..sorted bullets by weight and barring surface...primers by weight..brass by internal capacity..different neck tensions and probably a few thing ive forgotten and tested all of this one step at a time at 500-1000yds.
ive broke barrels in using the full shoot one clean shoot 5 clean for the first 50ish rounds and ive just shot them.
ive cleaned every time ive shot more then 10 rounds and ive shot 900 rounds without cleaning.

26 barrels and working on 27 and 28 now with 29 and 30 sitting in the safe ready to spin on....out of these barrels ive had 4 bad barrels....3 went south WAY before they should have and one after 600 rounds and cutting 4" off and another 300 rounds would never shoot less than about 3/4"-1"...ive shot shilen,criterion,bartlein,hawkhill,kreiger and brux right now and a muller works in the safe.
i live 10 minutes from where i shoot and would go out 4 times a day some times in the beginning.

now after all of that ive come to the conclusion that reloading is probably the most over thought thing there is is shooting and maybe even the world LOL....i dont do any of the shit above anymore...i might if i was an F-class guy or BR shooter because when all those tolerances are stacked it makes a difference...just not enough(for me)to make it worth the time spent doing it for the types of shooting i do right now.

all this trying to load perfect ammo with SUPER low ESs-SDs is all great and someone may have a 5 or 10 shot string with low ESs...i have...i shot a 6.5x47 for awhile that would do 0 and 1fps ESs with 5 and 10 shots...i think ive posted a few of them here...but when id shoot 40-50 rounds over the MS it NEVER held up and id end up somewhere between 10 and 20fps.

when im doing load development im looking for 3 tight groups with close to the same POI...i dont chase neck tension or powder weight by .1g and when i do chase seating depth its in .010 increments not .005...IMHO if your chasing things that close its not a stable load...i will change primers to see if things tighten up but i only use FED205Ms and CCI450s.

again im no expert...i can barely use my shooter app LOL....i just know what i know from shooting a shit ton of rounds through several different barrels in several different calibers.
Jealous your 500+ range is minutes from home! I have 150 in my back yard, but it's at least 20 mins and A LOT of hiking to shoot 500+. Roofer here as well! I do quite a bit of them during the year. Gives me a good tan and gets me ready for being in the heat.....lol.

THANK YOU !!!!!

I was busting your balls; I would've bet my round count, in any denomination, that @Subwrx300 had the rounds, and facts, to back that statement.

Jealous your 500+ range is minutes from home! I have 150 in my back yard, but it's at least 20 mins and A LOT of hiking to shoot 500+. Roofer here as well! I do quite a bit of them during the year. Gives me a good tan and gets me ready for being in the heat.....lol.

i figured as much...and yes i believe Subwrx300 knows what hes talking about but a 13" spread at 1000yds with a 25fps ESs just seems like a bit much to me....i dont remember exactly because its been 10+yrs but i think with full bullet and brass prep it took around 60fps in my 300wm to show that much difference but then Subwrx300 did say with lighter bullets or i may be wrong on my end.

thats the beauty of living where i do...10 minutes and you can shoot as far as you think your gun can....ive seen a LOT of guys humbled at 1760 and even more at 1920 after talking a lot of crap.
we are headed out in a couple of hours to shoot....going to test a new prop out(or game it as some would say LOL)for our matches next satuday and sunday ill post a couple pics then you really be jealous LOL!!

ive been in roofing going on 33yrs...use to love it now i hate it.....get out while you can LOL!!! we dont do residential commercial /industrial only.

i figured as much...and yes i believe Subwrx300 knows what hes talking about but a 13" spread at 1000yds with a 25fps ESs just seems like a bit much to me....i dont remember exactly because its been 10+yrs but i think with full bullet and brass prep it took around 60fps in my 300wm to show that much difference but then Subwrx300 did say with lighter bullets or i may be wrong on my end.

thats the beauty of living where i do...10 minutes and you can shoot as far as you think your gun can....ive seen a LOT of guys humbled at 1760 and even more at 1920 after talking a lot of crap.
we are headed out in a couple of hours to shoot....going to test a new prop out(or game it as some would say LOL)for our matches next satuday and sunday ill post a couple pics then you really be jealous LOL!!

ive been in roofing going on 33yrs...use to love it now i hate it.....get out while you can LOL!!! we dont do residential commercial /industrial only.
I think that is the beauty of heavy .30's. 6.5 might get you the ballistics, but the energy delivered with a magnum is awesome.
I do a lot of siding as well. Try to stick to residential roofs as much as possible. Only 35, so I've got a few years left on the roof before I hang it up....lol

If you look up DR Geoffrey Kolbe on positive compensation I think he says it corrects for 60fps of extreme spread.
Which means +-30 FPS on either side of center.
If your on the ragged edge your out of luck.

Reactions: Subwrx300
Tested 38.8 in .1 increments up to .2 above and below.

And then I tested 38.8 at 2.125 at 500 for a 10 shot group. Averaged 2969 with SD of 16

What I find interesting is that these velocities of 2970 (+/-20 fps) that Im seeing are equivalent to what I was seeing last summer when I initially developed my load of 39.4 gr... half a grain less powder and the same velocities. I did a seating depth test on 39.4 right after and its quite a bit hotter than it used to be.
I did a group of 4 at 100 daisy chain style and then a group of 3 at 500. I forgot to to activate the labradar for the first series at 100. And then the wind was picking up as the cold front blew in so I shot each group quickly together to try and match conditions within th group but I forgot to repoint the labradar to my 500 yard tartget and I think that may be why the last 3 for the 2.120 load are 30 fps faster.

The 4 at 100

And the 3 at 500

Last edited:
@spife7980 have you checked your accuracy load to see if its still shooting?

im not a smart man but so far none of this testing is looking good.

I know that’s a dream water line but he shot the same load at 100yds what am i missing? Serious question.
He has 3 shots in one hole with a couple of outliers. I don't ever under estimate human error and it was only one group. With a waterline like that I would roll with it as long as it wasn't producing pressure or close to it. But that is me.

He has 3 shots in one hole with a couple of outliers. I don't ever under estimate human error and it was only one group. With a waterline like that I would roll with it as long as it wasn't producing pressure or close to it. But that is me.

Gotcha.

My problem with that is there is nothing on either side of it to lead me to believe there is anything worth chasing.

@spife7980 have you checked your accuracy load to see if its still shooting?

im not a smart man but so far none of this testing is looking good.

39.4 @ 2.120” was my load. But that used to be going the same speed as the 38.7-38.9 is now.

But the 39.4 still shoots well, I guess my lands may have eroded .010 further than last time I checked. I’ll have to check them again just to make sure.

39.4 @ 2.120” was my load. But that used to be going the same speed as the 38.7-38.9 is now.

But the 39.4 still shoots well, I guess my lands may have eroded .010 further than last time I checked. I’ll have to check them again just to make sure.

how many rounds do you have through that barrel?

how many rounds do you have through that barrel?
I’ll have to check when I get home but I think I’m around 1500? It’s no longer young in the tooth but I’m hoping I can get another 500 out of it. As soon as my dasher is barrel is ready this 6xc is getting moved to a loaner hunting rifle.

Id expect to be loosing speed though if it were shot out, not gaining speed.

Edit: yeah, 1500 on the barrel

Pss: Just checked, the lands are right where I thought they were at 2.150 for resistance-free bolt fall via the wheeler method. So they didn’t suddenly shit the bed. I’m curious why they are all going so much faster

Last edited:
That 39.4 looks like a winner. 39.2 was my original prediction.

Side note: I have been scouring the interwebs on any forum I can find for OCW's and ladder tests. I have found several dozen, going all the way back to 2005 I think was the oldest one I found.

From those I've found where a definite winner emerged, I would say that out of every 10 of them, 9 ended up being at 2% off of max or 2% + 0.2 grains from max. This includes all calibers from 338 wildcats to 223 Rem.

I am not willing to say it is definitive, but I can say that it pops up so often that it shouldn't be ignored. Just a trend I've noticed. Do with it what you will.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I’ll have to check when I get home but I think I’m around 1500? It’s no longer young in the tooth but I’m hoping I can get another 500 out of it. As soon as my dasher is barrel is ready this 6xc is getting moved to a loaner hunting rifle.

Id expect to be loosing speed though if it were shot out, not gaining speed.

Edit: yeah, 1500 on the barrel

Pss: Just checked, the lands are right where I thought they were at 2.150 for resistance-free bolt fall via the wheeler method. So they didn’t suddenly shit the bed. I’m curious why they are all going so much faster

Yeah that’s a lot of rounds through that XC...when I shot a 6CM 1700 was the most I got out of a barrel other 4 were between 1400-1500 but my accuracy expectations are a little more than most I think and why I built another rifle...one as a tactical gun and one for the other matches I shoot.

This is a great test and I personally appreciate the time and effort your putting into this...as Lynn suggested I think with my next barrel I will have bob hoppie help me with a ladder test then shoot my normal load development after and see where it ends up.

As far as the barrel speeding up...unless you changed something you got me.

Reactions: spife7980