• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

lake city brass and RL15 ?

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
So i have a good load for my 223 bolt with 69 smk and RL15 . But im low on FED brass but have a lot of LC brass . How much can or should i reduce my loads . .... also why do some guns prefer sierra over hornady bullets OR the other way around ?

So i have a good load for my 223 bolt with 69 smk and RL15 . But im low on FED brass but have a lot of LC brass . How much can or should i reduce my loads . ....

Go to the link below, you will see that Lake City brass has the "MOST" case capacity, BUT LC and Federal brass are very close in case capacity. Meaning if your not shooting max loads in your Federal cases switching to Lake City cases are not a problem.

casecap_zps3f8bb2c9.jpg

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Below are Quickload pressure and velocity charts for .223/5.56 brass with cases with the most H2O capacity and the least case capacity with identical charges of H335 powder. There is 6,000 psi differance is chamber pressure between these two cases.

Below a Lake City case with 30.6 grains of H2O capacity
308_zpsf81bb4cc.jpg

Below is a case with 28.8 grains of H2O capacity
288_zps26698a67.jpg

With .308/7.62 cases the military cases held 2 grains less of water and would create higher pressures. The Lake City 5.56 military cases have "MORE" case capacity than the average commercial case and therefore generate less pressure.

why do some guns prefer sierra over hornady bullets OR the other way around ?

Because each rifles barrel will vibrate differently and the powder charge and bullet effect how the barrel vibrates and thus effecting accuracy. I have two AR15s and a Savage .223 and they all "vibrate differently".

bare2_zps62272daa.gif

Or if you watch the 1969 movie "Easy Rider" with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson, Dennis Hopper explains it best.

Dennis Hopper: “I'm getting bad vibes man”

The movie came out the just before I went into the military in 1969, my Drill Sergeant said my second most memorable quote.

Drill Sergeant: The two biggest motivators in the world are fear and greed, and I don't sign your paychecks!

And then the "bad vibes" really started.

Last edited:
Wow that's. A lot of info ... so i did try to load a case with RL15 , its full to the TOP! about to overflow. It could be cause it was marked WCC nato .... but i do have some cases that are marked LC 03..... some are marked 02