• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Lapua's New 136gr 6.5 Scenar

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
136grscenar004.jpg

200yards002.jpg

So far, so good.

With a BTO of 2.130", the COAL is 2.800".

More testing at distance to follow.....I only have one box.

lapua004.jpg

139gr scenar on the left and 136gr on the right. Sexy new ogive.

lapua005.jpg

Lapua "L" on the new design.

Reactions: 96C and NDSU
Re: Lapua's New 136gr 6.5 Scenar

Looking good! How fast are you pushing them? Any thought on the BC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking good! How fast are you pushing them? Any thought on the BC? </div></div>

I haven't ran them over a chrono. I'll find the velocity when I get a chance to shoot them out to 1200 or so, and a few random ranges in between. My 139 scenar load gave 2850fps in the same rifle, with 1/10gr less powder. I'll bet 2900fps is achievable....I used my 139 scenar range card for 503M and these 136's shot the exact same. I expect them to shoot flatter as the range increases.

Thanks Shane!

Are you coming to our shoot here in April?

Thanks for this range report. Much appreciated. With JLK prices up, I'm looking for a new 6.5mm bullet. Please keep us updated - and VERY nice shooting!

Thanks for the info, this looks like one to try alongside the JLKs for sure. Any idea when these start entering the market in decent numbers?

How do they shoot compared to the 139s for accuracy?? Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do they shoot compared to the 139s for accuracy?? Thanks!! </div></div>

Lapua new "L" -stamp series is revised version of "old" Scenar:

From Lapua:

Lapua’s record-breaking line of Scenar target bullets were first introduced in the mid-1980s, and immediately made a name for themselves. They were the very first European manufactured OTM bullets and set the standard from that point on. In 1990, the Scenar was used in Moscow to set a new world record in 300 meter ISSF competition, points 600 out of a possible 600. Literally, a perfect score. The Scenar’s accuracy and unrivaled consistency has made them the natural choice for the serious competitor. But it gets better. We at Lapua have never been content to rest on our laurels. We have recently undertaken a major program to make these outstanding bullets even more accurate. Not a redesign in ballistics, but a refinement in all manufacturing steps.

Using our state of the art manufacturing capabilities and decades of competitive experience, <span style="text-decoration: underline">we have set out to tighten all measures and requirements, including our already famous quality control standards. Closer weight tolerances, tighter jacket wall concentricity standards, and greater uniformity in every dimension, starting from the gilding metal cup, lead wire and jacket forming, ending up to core-jacket assembly, boat tail pressing and tipping. Several new proprietary machines, manufacturing steps and advanced instrumentations combined to the ScenarL manufacturing line never seen before in bullet production. We also took our already high quality control standards and kicked them up a notch</span>.This new generation of match bullets has been dubbed the ScenarL, and is a fitting successor to the vaunted Scenar family.

Sharing the same aerodynamic profiles as their predecessors, the ScenarL are the perfect choice for any type of competitive shooting. Whether it’s ISSF or CISM, Benchrest or F-Class, Silhouette, High Power Across the Course or Long Range, the new ScenarL line will give you the extra edge that takes you to the winners circle. Based on the Scenar’s proven track record of competitive successes, Lapua’s new ScenarL will deliver the ultimate performance in the most demanding competitive environments every time. Precision craftsmanship, painstaking quality control standards, state of the art manufacturing technology and advanced ballistic design all combine to make the new ScenarL the very best of the best!

Great shooting and write-up. I need to get a few boxes of these.

I got 400 130 jlks ordered but Swampy told me he is catching hell getting the j4 jackets from Berger. Ordered them in Nov. he projected March!!! This was after I called him last week

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Shane!

Are you coming to our shoot here in April? </div></div>

You bet, looking forward to it!

I'll be shooting the 308/30-06 again. Probably bring along an AR15 as well for some of the closer stuff.

For S&G I'll be trying the mile+ target with a 26" 308, launching 225gr Hornady BTHP (2575-ish fps, .710 BC, per LR shooting results).

Hoping for dryer conditions to spot impacts better, but we take what we get....grin.

Tag.

A calculated realistic BC for the new bullet is...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Shane!

Are you coming to our shoot here in April? </div></div>

You bet, looking forward to it!

I'll be shooting the 308/30-06 again. Probably bring along an AR15 as well for some of the closer stuff.

For S&G I'll be trying the mile+ target with a 26" 308, launching 225gr Hornady BTHP (2575-ish fps, .710 BC, per LR shooting results).

Hoping for dryer conditions to spot impacts better, but we take what we get....grin. </div></div>

Cool! Looking forward to spotting for you.

There will be a larger variety of steel targets this year. George and I are going to set up a little tactical course also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag.

A calculated realistic BC for the new bullet is...? </div></div>

.600 G1. Not confirmed as of yet.....still need to "air it out".

FWIW, they work pretty well on coyotes.

Nice,

I seem to have an issue with my shorter rifles trying to go over 139gr, the 140s+ never work out.

I have super good luck with the 130s, and 139s, so hopefully the 136s will be the ticket to balance my short rifles with performance

The bearing surface length of the new 136gr is .034" shorter than the 139gr scenar.

The average length taken on ten bullets is 1.355" for the 136gr, VS. 1.365" on the 139's.

Weight was super consistant. I weighed 10 and all of them weighed exactly 136.00grs.

lapua003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weight was super consistant. I weighed 10 and all of them weighed exactly 136.00grs.</div></div>

Impressive. Would love to know how they perform on game, that'll be a while I guess. Thanks for the pics Pat.

+1 Nice. Liking that OAL at 1.355". The meplat looks kinda wide... any chance you could measure that sucker?

Really appreciate this data share - thanks
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Price? </div></div>

I thought Grafs had them at $0.41-0.44/pc depending on how many you bought... 0.44 if you bought 100 and 0.41 if you bought 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.600 G1. Not confirmed as of yet.....still need to "air it out". FWIW, they work pretty well on coyotes. </div></div>

G1 of .600 and good on coyotes...both good problems to have
wink.gif

Thanks for the review - can't wait to try some.

Very nice...this just might cause me to move to the 6.5 from my 7's.

What are the thoughts on the gain if these were pointed? A .600+ bc at 3k and cheaper than the jlks could be very interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the thoughts on the gain if these were pointed? A .600+ bc at 3k and cheaper than the jlks could be very interesting. </div></div>

This was the thinking behind asking what the meplat measured (see my above question). Litz has got the 139gr Scenar at 0.067" meplat, on the wide side but not horrible, and a pointing die could get that down to 0.04-ish. From the photo, the meplats on the new 136gr do in fact look wide, suggesting there is a potential for a 5+% gain from pointing them. If you are shooting to 1000 with these bullets, a 5% BC increase is worth the extra loading step...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With a BTO of 2.130", the COAL is 2.800". </div></div>

Do you think these will fit into a ACIS mag box and still be able to touch the lands or does that matter as much with Scenars?

I shot a few of the 136's out to 1000 yesterday.....they are flatter AND more accurate than the 139's. I'm liking them a lot.

Im switching to the 136's from the 139's. I'm having trouble finding them! My Crusader loves the 139's. I can't imagine how good the 136's will be!

Nobody has them yet.....I'm hoping they get out there real soon. I plan on snagging a bunch of them.

I too am curious as to whether they are more sensitive to distance to lands with that different ogive?

Oh, I SO need some of these. My rifle shoots the 142 smks great and the lapua 139s even better, Hopefully h4350 comes back soon.

Ch

I too am curious as to whether they are more sensitive to distance to lands with that different ogive?

They shot great right out of the gate with the same BTO as I use with 130 VLD's, 130 JLK's and 139 scenar's. My barrel has 3000+ rounds through it and is looking a little haggard, but still shooting really well.

130gr weight bullets are about perfect weight for most comon used 6.5 cal, wonder why they didnt drop weight to 130
136 just dont make much sense
Hoping Hornady will do a high BC 130gr Amax in 6.5cal