• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lawnmowers.

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
Getting tired of dealing with my Cub Cadet lawnmower. Runs rough even though I cleaned the carburetor, and changed the fuel line, fuel filter, plugs, oil, air filter, gas (even though I've only ever run non-ethanol) Now replaced the carburetor with a new one and it still runs like shit.

If I due a full tune up it'll run perfect for 30min then back to losing power and backfiring under load.

So I guess I'm looking for advice on if it's worth it to buy another used cub cadet that's a 2012, mine is a 2010, for $1,000. Or just bite the bullet and go for a new zero turn that I really want for $6,500?

If the 6k is burning to get spent then spend it. But if your hoping not to spend it let me just tell you that I have a mower that will not run properly unless I keep Sta-bil in the fuel mix. I got no idea why but it's worth a try.

Getting tired of dealing with my Cub Cadet lawnmower. Runs rough even though I cleaned the carburetor, and changed the fuel line, fuel filter, plugs, oil, air filter, gas (even though I've only ever run non-ethanol) Now replaced the carburetor with a new one and it still runs like shit.

If I due a full tune up it'll run perfect for 30min then back to losing power and backfiring under load.

So I guess I'm looking for advice on if it's worth it to buy another used cub cadet that's a 2012, mine is a 2010, for $1,000. Or just bite the bullet and go for a new zero turn that I really want for $6,500?
Once you go zero turn you’ll wonder why you ever had that Cub. I’ve got a Hustler Fasttrak super duty that I’ve had since 2011. In that time I’ve replaced one starter and hydrostat seals which I’ve done both myself and I suck as a mechanic and just normal maintenance like oil and filters. Depending on your yard size and layout you’ll be amazed at the reduction of mowing time with the zero turn. The Hustler cut my mowing from 5 hours to 3.5 hours.

If the 6k is burning to get spent then spend it. But if your hoping not to spend it let me just tell you that I have a mower that will not run properly unless I keep Sta-bil in the fuel mix. I got no idea why but it's worth a try.

Definitely would rather spend the $$$ on toys. But I have tried sea foam, but not sta-bil. I'll try it and see it makes a difference.

Have you put a fuel pump on it including replacing the impulse tube ? My Gravely has a Kawasaki on it and that sounded about like what mine was doing.

I want a new zero turn, but I have hills and rocks and need to go to the commercial line and the mower I was going to get in 2020 was $8000, its now almost $11,000. I did not buy it in 2020 as I thought the bottom was going to drop out then, not 3 years later so I did not want to cut loose with the money then. I only had to mow like 3 times last summer, once the flowers die off I will be busy mowing this year!

maxresdefault.jpg

job for the kids
senior-man-relaxation-in-hammock.jpg

keeping a watchful eye on the kids while they work .
with a drink in the hand and a whip in the other back to work billy ....
photo-1599828495861-6156f799913a

Coil maybe? Once a bad one gets warm, they'll exhibit symptoms like described.

Otherwise, I'm going with valve lash also.

Pull the engine cover and check the wiring...the wire coating is made from soybean oil and mice will eat it.

Other than that....youll never regret the switch to a zero turn... sooo much faster.
If you go with a compact, make sure it has hydrogear transaxles... zt2800 or better.

Pull the engine cover and check the wiring...the wire coating is made from soybean oil and mice will eat it.

Other than that....youll never regret the switch to a zero turn... sooo much faster.
If you go with a compact, make sure it has hydrogear transaxles... zt2800 or better.
Soyboi mice? :unsure:

10 million landscapers have come across the border in the last couple years. At thirty dollars a week you will never recoup the money and time spent on a new mower.

Reactions: Chaps5800
10 million landscapers have come across the border in the last couple years. At thirty dollars a week you will never recoup the money and time spent on a new mower.
Now why would I pay someone, when I can spend 2 hours mowing each time, three hours working on the mower a month, $400 a season on parts?....dont be foolish!

Whatever you buy, will be shit come year 5, so keep that in mind. Work on it now, or work on it in five years from now.

the backfiring is usually a valve or coil problem. Does it hard start too? If so, pull the right side valve cover and look at the valve lash on the top valve. This is usually the one that either bends a pushrod or is loose on every one Ive worked on. I actually have this issue with one right now and it turns out the hex nut that holds the rocker arm down had cracked and was letting the pressure off. I've only had to replace one bad coil in about 15 years on two different mowers, so I'm betting more on the valve train.

On that note, I did buy a zero turn years ago and it's the best mower I've ever used. I also have 5 acres of yard, so it was a worth while investment that cut my mowing time in half.

And in October you get 'Taquitos Cabron".
On a more serious, but also off topic, note. We used goats to clear out a 7 acre property in MN. The woods were so thick with invasive buckthorn you couldn't walk or even see 20 yards through it. 6 nigerian dwarf kids(baby goats, not little nigerians) for $40 a piece was about as cheap as you could get for clearing brush. Goats are browsers unlike cows who are grazers, so while they prefer to eat leaves rather than grass, they'll eat anything. Have to be careful in the spring with grass though, they'll get bloat super easy, and goats aren't the most hardy of animals. They can get sick and die before you even know anything's wrong. They worked so well though that I contracted out a local goat farmer to bring in 200+ goats every summer to eat down invasive plants on the Wildlife Refuge I worked at. The public loved it.

Anyway, that's my goat story, back to your regularly scheduled programing.

What kind of fences do you need for goats? We have a lot next to our house that always needs clearing.

What kind of fences do you need for goats? We have a lot next to our house that always needs clearing.
Depends. I used the electric netting because i put them in small paddocks so I could rotate them.

If permenant, the welded hog wire would be sufficient. They are escape artists.

This is essentially what I used with a solar charger hooked up to it.

61TZEWjBMNL.jpg

Here's a good example of a permanent enclosure. I built one like this to overwinter them.

DSC_0214.JPG

Younger goats are escape artists... the larger the breed and the more you have of them, the less likely they are to escape.
Mulberry is their favorite food...but they eat anything.
If you want grass eaten, than get sheep... weeds... goats.
Goats wont touch ragweed though...

A young goat wil easily clear hog panel.. over the top(cattle pannel is taller and cheaper).... after a year and a half or so...they dont jump. Theyre herd animals and want to stay with the herd.
Shred