• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lawton rifles thread!

Re: Lawton rifles thread!

Tikka contact glenn at seekins precision. You will love his bottom metal and mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tikka 260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine, Lawton 7000 in 6.5x55, Manners MCS-T OD Duracoat. It now has Badger floorplate in place of the AI magazine setup shown.

P1010126.jpg

P1010136.jpg

European Roe Buck Target at 400 yds, three rounds in 1.5" group , which was my first ever attempt at 'longer range'

Rooebuck400JPG.jpg

I am using 120 Gn NBT in Lapua brass, 49.0 Gns RL22 at .025" off the lands, if thats of any interest to 6.5x55 users.

Anyone have ideas or experience on other magazine systems that would be smooth operating and less 'clunky' than the Badger product? The floorplate release is fiddly with cold fingers on a hunting rifle, although that is probably heresy to even mention it on this site.

T260
</div></div>

Re: Lawton Rifle Thread

375ct3.jpg
375ct1.jpg

Here is my Lawton .375 Cheytac. 8000 action, 32 inch barrel, 40 moa base, McRees folder. I'm still working up a load. I'm trying Jamison 350 gn solids, Lehigh 333 gn solids, and 350 gn smk's.

375/408 IMP by Dave @ Viersco
lawton 8000
Manners T4A in Custom paint Job by Dave
32" lawton 11.5 twist
Pic shows Daves NXS for testing it now wears SB 5-25 P4 1/10 MIl in Near alpha Mount.

PC1.jpg

Hot damn diver! Your gonna make me spend more money!

I really like the one in the green stock!

I am getting one like that but just with a German 5 color camo Flecktarn stock. I like the mate black metal work.
Dave sure knows how to make a cool looking rifle
grin.gif

Cheers,

Master Diver

Hey Bobby, I can't tell you how many Lawton actions that I have used. (Can you?) Anyway the only problem I've ever had is an ugly guy named Bobby has touched them at some point in time. LOL
Best of luck my friend!
Mac's
PS
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff!

Re: my Lawton experience

I love that Chachi guys profile, and the one and only post he ever put to the world. Kind of like slamming your peter in the toilet , ya just don't want anybody else to know.LOL
GOD bless,
Mac's

Re: my Lawton experience

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">April 28, 2008: I order my 400x single shot, no-flute bolt, one piece bolt handle with handle swept back, aluminum 20MOA sight base. Estimated delivery time 3 months. I was trying to keep this rifle "made in montana" so I also planned on a Lilja barrel chambered in .284 Winchester.

June 2, 2008: paid in full

December 19, 2008: picked up action from local FFL. The wait was loaded with excuses and is uncalled for. Please notice the "modified" serial number. Every Lawton I've ever seen uses only digits on the SN# but this one has an "A" scratched in with what looks like a sharp screwdriver!. I just know that the SN assigned to my build was shipped off to god knows who after about three months then oops, they have to build me another one... Also notice the machine shavings in bolt and no sight base.

The dog gone sight base screw spacing is wrong. Can anything else go wrong? Honestly I am sick of dealing with lawton, I'm going to pay my gunsmith to fix the thing and I'm going to sell it. I have never had so many problems trying to spend nearly $1,000.

Jeremy
</div></div>

Doh!! With all due respect to Mr. Lawton's efforts to fix the problem, I'd sell the action too. We are spending a premium and have a right to expect a quality product delivered as promised, on time. This is just too many mistakes and just goes to show you there is a lot more to running a company than just having a good product.

Re: Lawton Rifles Thread

Lets see..... Im glad you can say that being in the position that your in but it all comes down to alot of things. These "things" happen with every company and happen often. Its the ones who stand by their product and get things done that matter. If you ask many other of our customers these "things" have been happening alot less often per our effort to improve the handling of our products as they get ready to go out the door.

I guess that means your perfect and have never let anything slip by un-noticed or it was just a mistake?

We all do are best and mistakes just happen. "What can go wrong will go wrong."

Edit to say: I dont mean to sound rude just got a little mad when i read it.

I placed my order with Bobby today for a 375 CT on one of their 8000 actions.
Excited to get it, now comes the wait
frown.gif

Just waiting on the stock!!!!

A bunch of great looking rifles here.
I thought this thread was for rifles built by Lawton Machine,not just using Lawton Actions. I see that I was mistaken and will have to post up a couple.

I recently placed and order for a third lawton action to build a 510 Whisper.

I know Chachi. He is my partner in BPCR silhouette. He is a master class shooter. We shoot each month in Missoula with Mike Venturino, John King and other well known guys in the shooting world. Jeremy (chachi) is probably one of the most honest people that I know and a very stand up fellow, you can ask the guys mentioned above, they will tell you the same. I am well aware of the problems that Jeremy has and is having with Lawton and it is not one instance. Last April Jeremy ordered an action with recoil lug and 20 min sight base. After numorous promises he recieved his action six month after the three he was quoted at time of ordering. Then to top it off, it came with the wrong bolt handle, no sight base no pin for the recoil lug and very sloppy machine work. I p.m.d Bobby for Jeremy to explain the problem. Jeremy contacted him and got the action sent back being told he would get it taken care of right away. When he does finally get his action back, still no sight base. He calls again and again gets the "we'll get it right out". A month later he gets it and it is the wrong sight base. He again calls, we'll get it right out and same thing a month later he gets another sight base and guess what its wrong again. We live in Libby, it is two days mail time. What is this "grab one and send it hoping it will fit"? With this kind of very poor customer service and sloppy machine work, sure makes me want to order a Lawton.

I guess flaming my friend like macssubmoa is a good way for him to get his post count up, I guess the more post you have the bigger your dick. Yeah Jeremy only had the one post, you see he is a pretty quite guy and just reads to find out what others are building and getting ideas what he would do with his. He responded to the lawton thread because the author wanted comments on Lawton and Jeremy had to signup to give him his comments, I guess if Bobby don't like it, Step up to the plate and get it taken care of instead of empty promises. All the years I have known Jeremy, I have never heard him use foul language, he is one of those guys that wouldn't say shit if he had a mouth full, But, after dealing with Lawton he did have a few choice words for them and I really can't blame him. He has been more than understanding than I would be. I would have made a trip to Dillon and given someone an 800 dollar stainless suppository.

Yeah notaguru, I would have been mad too to see this kind of stuff in print about my bussiness, but not at the author for stating a fact and I wouldn't try to sugar coat it and try to put the blame on someone else. I would have kissed his ass to make it right, and you know what the readers on this thread would see that I do stand behind my product and not look for excuses. Time to buck up bucky.

Ok guys, time flame me because of my low post count, Just remember, just because someones post count is down, dosen't mean they don't know anything. Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, I was wondering there seems to be a few different collections of rifle threads but no Lawton?

Would any of you be willing to share pictures of your Lawton rifles?

I'd like to see them if it's not to much trouble!

Lawton is an official sponsor now, seems like a good day to kick off a thread with some of their rifles.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Edited to add: I wouldn't even mind seeing some of the BR rifles if ya got 'em. </div></div>

This thread was started to show off Lawton action rifles. I hate it when a good thread is tanted by someone thats got a problem. Bassin93 if your buddy's got a problem with Lawton then he needs to start up his own thread!

I will say it took my action longer than quoted but I waited. Got the action and it didnt have a 20moa base as ordered, but they told me on the phone that it wasnt going to have on installed yet because they were out of stock. 2 weeks later a base arrived in the mail that fitted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then to top it off, it came with the wrong bolt handle, no sight base no pin for the recoil lug and very sloppy machine work. </div></div>

Now how do YOU know it was sloppy machine work? How did you measure out the action to see if it was in spec?

Well, im having to wait longer than I wanted for my rifle to be completed. I thought i would be shooting it in February. But, Im not, and it looks as if it will be another 3 weeks befor the stockmaker is finished. sometimes things just dont go as planned.

I was happy with the way they handled my situation with a barrel i wanted. Ends up, the production manager called me back "when he said he would" and even ended up chambering an alternate barrel for me that afternoon. I was fully prepaired to hear it would take a few weeks to get me another barrel.

Thanks Lawton!

marku, It is good that you recieved your items and are happy with them, I am sure that Lawton does make a good product or they would not still be in bussiness. Two months over the promised date is not that bad but six and then missing parts and taking four months longer just for a sight base is just poor customer service.

To answer you question on the sloppy machine work, I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for over 25 years with many of those years rebuilding hydralic control valves, cylinders and motors, so yes I do know what sloppy machine work is. When you see large filings in your bolt (1/4" and larger) and the serial # engraving with what looked like it was done by a preschooler with a scribe. what would you call that, quality? I was at one time honestly thinking pretty seriously on purchasing a Lawton, but I want to deal with a company that treats their customers with respect and doesen't jerk them around.

Jeff

Not slamming your friend any worse than he did mine. The big thing was no profile, I thought that was one of the rules. People are people and we all have problems. I have always got everything that I've ordered from them and as far as I know they have got everything that they have asked of me. I think that you should call them they would make things as right as possible that's just the kind of people they are.
GOD bless,
Mac's
call if you have problems

I think the point he was trying to make bassin93 is that your friend shit all over a thread that was intended to gather some good pics of some fine guns we have made and helped make. He was wrong to post it in this thread and should have done it a different place where it belongs. Lawton just recently became a sponsor of this site because we liked the people here and wanted to support it to continue its helping of the sport. I highly regret that this happened in the first place and have taken every step i can to make it right. Put yourself in my shoes and those of the people that work here and maybe your words would be different as well as your friends sir. Sorry to think that this could have been avoided by simply taking to the right person here. As well as alot of people here jump the gun because this is the internet and they can. Well maybe you should again think before you type because i know it has been a down fall of my own. But im willing to admit it sir. Have a great day and great shooting!

Lawton Machine, I do agree that this was probably not the thread to bring this about and at times I do type before I think things completely through as how to state things before I swallow my whole foot. One problem I have always had is that I call a spade a spade and do not sugar coat the things that I want to say the way that I see them. I have held back for quite sometime on this subject till it burst open and I put in my two cents worth. I hope this goes away soon. I am done with this subject and thread. Jeff

Thank you both this was needing to come to an end and I too am sorry if I insulted anybody in any way, shape, or form. For this I am sorry.I just have a problem with standing behind my friends.
Thank you all, and GOD bless,
Mac's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bassin93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lawton Machine, I do agree that this was probably not the thread to bring this about and at times I do type before I think things completely through as how to state things before I swallow my whole foot. One problem I have always had is that I call a spade a spade and do not sugar coat the things that I want to say the way that I see them. I have held back for quite sometime on this subject till it burst open and I put in my two cents worth. I hope this goes away soon. I am done with this subject and thread. Jeff </div></div>

Yes a spade is a spade until its you thats its pointed towards. Then you feel a little different.

I for one have never met the guys at lawton but they have treated me like a buddy. They have bent over backwards and answered my stupid questions with just a chuckle and a answer. I for one think they are on top of there game doing research and testing there products daily. They are a specialty shop not a got it on the shelf shop...You want a custom you got it with Lawton! Barrel, Action and base !

What kind of barrel taper is this and what does the rifle weigh?

Bobby is building me a barreled action right now and that McCree's stock looks like what I have in mind. Mine will be a 32" SS barrel 1.350 at the breach and 1" at the muzzle, fluted with a Lawton brake and I am hoping to come in around 20 lbs.

Bobby, thank you for all the help with the build. I feel like a new parent, what an incredible rifle. I'm giddy with anticipation to send the first shot down range. If you talk to Scott please thank him for me also. This was a major build for me, and you guys made it very enjoyable. If anyone is looking at a build, Lawton is the only way to go.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jason

Ordered a 8000 w/ 32" M310 SS fluted barrel and brake in 338 SnipeTac. When I called, the crew was very helpful in guiding me through its configuration. Will post pic when in hand.

Lancer.... on youe .338 edge, did you get the reamer from sean carlock? if not who barreled your action?