• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Learned a valuable lesson

Bucolic_Jake

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Washburn, WI
I am new to reloading, and I am enjoying it. I have a Savage Model 16 in 6.5 Creedmoor, with a 26" McGowan varmint contour barrel. Two weekends ago I did my first OCW with some Norma URP. I had good results (for me at least as I am also new to precision & accurate shooting), but I did pull one for the 41.3 grain load. Overall I came away thinking a node had established between 41.3 grains to 42.1 grains. So I reloaded for a OCW test with loads from 41.3 to 42.1 at 0.2 grain intervals. This time I used brass that I full length resized when I first started reloading, which means the headspace wasn't the same for all brass (I like to fiddle with things when I begin anything). As a result my, my OCW was all over the charts. I can't believe how much a .001-.003 headspace difference can make.

So to any new reloaders out there, set your headspace and keep it set.

Its part of the learning curve. Some guys want to try different cases, powders, bullets etc on their first OCW. There is plenty of time for that, but the key is to reduce the amount of variables to find the node then tweak one variable at a time to close the groups.

Good thing is you did find a node, just have to repeat your first session.

I am new to reloading, and I am enjoying it. I have a Savage Model 16 in 6.5 Creedmoor, with a 26" McGowan varmint contour barrel. Two weekends ago I did my first OCW with some Norma URP. I had good results (for me at least as I am also new to precision & accurate shooting), but I did pull one for the 41.3 grain load. Overall I came away thinking a node had established between 41.3 grains to 42.1 grains. So I reloaded for a OCW test with loads from 41.3 to 42.1 at 0.2 grain intervals. This time I used brass that I full length resized when I first started reloading, which means the headspace wasn't the same for all brass (I like to fiddle with things when I begin anything). As a result my, my OCW was all over the charts. I can't believe how much a .001-.003 headspace difference can make.

So to any new reloaders out there, set your headspace and keep it set.

So all the work ups I've done with virgin Lapua brass are for naught?

It's been my experience that new brass needs to be F/L resized before loading the first time. Failing to do that even managed to sideline me at a much anticipated match; because ammunition made from unsized new brass wouldn't even chamber in my factory rifle.

Greg

So all the work ups I've done with virgin Lapua brass are for naught?

I have never used virgin brass, I bought factory ammo, shot it, and then reloaded it. Most of the factory ammo was shot through the factory barrel before I switched out. I would like to get some Nosler 6.5 Creedmoor brass, but I was wondering if I should full length resize before I loaded it. Thanks to Greg Langelius, I have my answer.

I made the same mistake and was over-resizing several batches of ammo - pushing the shoulder back more than .006 - I was getting case-head separations after 5 firings.

And I shoot new brass at practice sessions only.

i measure headspace bumping it back .02 after each shot, you should see it grow to a point and stop thats your chambers actual headspace if im not mistaken, from there on you bump .02 back and measure all brass to get it to that length.