• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2400 R

I got a chance to try my leica 2700b more. Even though I had a new battery I replaced it with another one and it seems to be working quite a bit better now. I have had ranges in bright sunlight to just shy of 2300 yards of a round hay bail.

Very interested in the 2400R, time to upgrade from the Kilo. Since most of my ranging is for hunting the Kilo does alright most of the time but not always, hit or miss past 500 yards and sometimes less depending on conditions. The 2400r sounds like it should do better, does anyone have any first hand experience ranging non-reflective targets, cows, deer, or other critters at LR distance?

Fishkat,

I don't have any experience with the 2400, have a fair amount with the 1600b and 2700b. Leica RF's seem to be very consistent in what they will do vs their stated ability, and my guess is this continues because the foundational hw/sw (beyond the emitter etc.) remains pretty consistent, while the actual laser emitters etc. get better. That is to say, two different companies could have the same laser, but the glass, the electronics around the laser, the software etc....they all determine performance as well, so these two different companies' RF's could still have different performance..but in the case of Leica, they have a certain consistency in how they will range, what, and under what conditions....that is consistent with their claimed distances.

So that being said, I have a review up on the 2700 that might give you an idea based on those principles, but I would expect under good conditions, if you hit decent trees will give you right around 2450-2500 yards. I have hit 2800 with the 2700 hand held, and could do just over 1700 with the 1600, so I'd guess at 2450ish or a bit better with the 2400. Animals is harder for me to predict because I have had a hard time finding good targets at really long ranges, but IIRC, I was hitting cows at around 1300 with both the 1600 and the 2700, but it was much easier with the 2700. I am would expect the 2400 to do at last that well. I hit deer at that distance too with the 2700 IIRC, probably get that with the 2400 as well. Trying to come up with a deer target at the moment that I can use for testing....got a taxidermist friend that may be able to supply me with a hide to use in the future so I can get more consistent with my testing on animals.

Hopefully, someone who has a 2400 will be able to chime in here. I might pick one up to test, as there seems to be a lot of interest around this RF. Leica glass at a nice pricepoint. Be cool to put it up against the 2700 and see if it holds true to previous experience.

Do the 2400 and 2700 still have the 1 second delay for the Ehr readout? The older models gave linear distance... 1 second delay then gave you the "corrected" distance... Is this still the case?

Do the 2400 and 2700 still have the 1 second delay for the Ehr readout? The older models gave linear distance... 1 second delay then gave you the "corrected" distance... Is this still the case?
Yes, the 2700 does, I assume the 2400 does as well, as did the 1600. They have stayed pretty consistent, as far as I can think, since the 1600b.

Yes, the 2700 does, I assume the 2400 does as well, as did the 1600. They have stayed pretty consistent, as far as I can think, since the 1600b.

Newb question for Leica owners: do the rangefinders display the angle reading itself? IE can you use it as an inclinometer for manual calculations?

Yes
ETA; 2400 does.
The 2700 does as well. Just push the range button and you will get range, then push the secondary button and you can see angle, temp and pressure., at least that is how it works on the 'b' models.

Fishkat,

I don't have any experience with the 2400, have a fair amount with the 1600b and 2700b. Leica RF's seem to be very consistent in what they will do vs their stated ability, and my guess is this continues because the foundational hw/sw (beyond the emitter etc.) remains pretty consistent, while the actual laser emitters etc. get better. That is to say, two different companies could have the same laser, but the glass, the electronics around the laser, the software etc....they all determine performance as well, so these two different companies' RF's could still have different performance..but in the case of Leica, they have a certain consistency in how they will range, what, and under what conditions....that is consistent with their claimed distances.

So that being said, I have a review up on the 2700 that might give you an idea based on those principles, but I would expect under good conditions, if you hit decent trees will give you right around 2450-2500 yards. I have hit 2800 with the 2700 hand held, and could do just over 1700 with the 1600, so I'd guess at 2450ish or a bit better with the 2400. Animals is harder for me to predict because I have had a hard time finding good targets at really long ranges, but IIRC, I was hitting cows at around 1300 with both the 1600 and the 2700, but it was much easier with the 2700. I am would expect the 2400 to do at last that well. I hit deer at that distance too with the 2700 IIRC, probably get that with the 2400 as well. Trying to come up with a deer target at the moment that I can use for testing....got a taxidermist friend that may be able to supply me with a hide to use in the future so I can get more consistent with my testing on animals.

Hopefully, someone who has a 2400 will be able to chime in here. I might pick one up to test, as there seems to be a lot of interest around this RF. Leica glass at a nice pricepoint. Be cool to put it up against the 2700 and see if it holds true to previous experience.

Certainly appreciate your response. Think i'll pick one up, it will definitely be an upgrade and if it doesn't meet my expectations, return and try the 2700.

I think I will add the glass is so good for a small monocular I will be packing this on a monopod and leaving my beloved Kahles binos home so this geezer can manage the pack.

Reactions: Stpilot12
I think I will add the glass is so good for a small monocular I will be packing this on a monopod and leaving my beloved Kahles binos home so this geezer can manage the pack.

That's all I use hunting anymore.. One of my Leica's in my chest pocket with a lanyard attached to my jacket. Quick easy access, light weight, accurate.

Thanks for the heads up. Just snagged one from them as well. They said there are a few left alreday. I got tired of waiting on back order from Midway USA.

Camera land has them too, ordered one today and will have it next week

Gentlemen, I'm very curious about the "Real World" experiences with your new 2400R's!!! I'm ready to upgrade from my older Leica 1200LRF.... I see several here have placed their orders for one. I'd really love to hear how these babies are actually working out in the field!!!! Thanks in advance for any & all info !!!!!! Idaho-5R

Got mine yesterday and played around a little with it, will really see what it’ll do this weekend. Good glass and size, can slip in a coat or pants pocket easily.

Got mine yesterday and played around a little with it, will really see what it’ll do this weekend. Good glass and size, can slip in a coat or pants pocket easily.

Did you get a chance to try it out? How was the performance if so?

Did you get a chance to try it out? How was the performance if so?
I didn’t get to stretch it out to it’s limits, however it was repeatable on targets out to 1169 yards and read the exact same yardage each time.

Reactions: 6gunner
Dendro, Thanks for the report. There were quite a few folks on here talking about ordering one of the 2400R's...... I was really hoping for more real life reports on these!!!!!! Any more reports??????? I'd really like to replace my older LRF, but, I want to hear more positive responses before buying..... Thanks, Idaho-5R

Very interested in real world experiences with the 2400R on IPSC sized steel or slightly larger out to 1200, 1300, 1400 yards. My old LRF1200 still works well for any distances I need it for hunting but my new interest is ringing steel with my 6.5 creedmoor. We have a range in southern Georgia with unknown distance steel targets scattered out at 800 - 1800 yards and even a big plate at 2100 yards. But I need a better range finder than the LRF1200 for these longer distances.

I got to try my new 2400R out on the weekend, so a few observations.

It was able to range a full, sized IPSC steel pained white at 980yards as long as I rested the range finder on a rock, couldn’t get it stable enough hand held.
Ranged 1/2and 1/3 sized ones at 300-600, again better when braced vs handheld as it got out past 500.
The last thing I noticed is that the beam must be out of alignment with the aiming reticle as I had to put the target just under the outside of the reticle circle each time. Noticed it first when it ranged so trees 1/2 way to the 1000 yard line vs the targets, tree tops were just under the reticle so aimed a bit up and it was fine. Then confirmed on some other targets that the aiming was a bit off.
The day was a bit overcast but still pretty clear and bright.

Reactions: Flores666
I got the 2700B to range targets (full size IPSC, white) at 1412yds without issue, and ~3/5 times at 1760'sh (can't recall exact yards) on a cloudy windy day in Colorado plains a week and a half ago. (Had exactly the same readings from the same spot this May.) The next day, Sunday, was misty and drizzling.... couldn't get anything past about 200yds in those conditions, and that was spotty. But neither could anybody else with a rangefinder that day.

We are fortunate near Dallas/Fort Worth... we have a range that has 10 lanes that go out to 1000 yards, 8 lanes to 1800 yards, and 1 target at 2000 yards. I just received the Leica 2400 R. It had rained that morning.... and it was overcast, so I am thinking "ideal" conditions. It easily and consistently ranged out to 1600 yards... but really struggled at any distance beyond that. I was able to range the 2000 yard target once.... after 20 attempts.

I don't think it would do as well on a sunny day.

All of the targets are 1 and 2 MOA, steel targets painted white.

I am a little disappointed, I really need a rangefinder that will easily and consistently range out to at least 2000 yards.

By the way.... the rangefinder was mounted to my spotting scope via a pica-tinny rail and the factory Leica Bracket.... on top of a Heavy Duty Carbon Fiber Gitzo tripod, with a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead.... so it is ROCK SOLID.

I was thinking about getting one of these but the initial reviews have me rethinking that. There seems to be positive reviews on the Nikon Black Range X 4K. Has anyone compared these two?

I actually had a Nikon RangeX 4K.... returned it after 1 week of use. At the same range that I tested the Leica... it would only range 1200 yards at best. The Leica is much much better than the Nikon!

I think that there are insurmountable problems delivering current technology, packaged and with glass at a price point.
I bought a PLRF5 and I could not enjoy it in the field in my pack, banging around. Wish I had never sold it .
The 2400r I now have performs as most are reporting . Works well. Expect conditions to piss you off.

RANGE RESULTS UPDATE. Went out to Triple C ranch again this weekend. It was a clear sunny day and 80 degrees. The Leica had no problem ranging out to 2000 yards, 1800 yards etc..... I am extremely pleased with the rangefinder after spending some more time with it.

Reactions: stwcattle
I picked one of these up from Cameraland in late August/early September and it’s been an awesome unit. It has consistently ranged animals out around and just past 1000 yds for me. I haven’t had an opportunity to try much further. So far I love it.

The guys at Cameraland were great to deal with as well. Thanks!

does the 2400r display barometric pressure?
Blair,

The 2400 does not measure barometric pressure or temp, only distance and angle. If you want a Leica RF to measure these forces, you need to get a 'B' model Leica, the 2700b, for example.

Reactions: jeffmedlin
Just got mine and I can’t begin to say how pleased I am with it. Just like others had mentioned, I wanted a simple rangefinder for distance and slope - and that is what the 2400 does. The farthest thing I can see from my house is 2360 yds, which I can hit every time I fire the rangefinder.

I’ve asked RRS about making a tripod mount like the one that they make for the SIG and they sound like they have one ‘in the works’

Here ya go @short_mag

When I am on with my Spotting Scope... I am on with my Rangefinder and visa-versa.... I absolutely love this setup....

Leica2400R_01.jpg
Leica2400R_02.jpg
Leica2400R_03.jpg

Reactions: Idaho-5R
I also have the Leica mount. Well made out of aluminum, it's a nice piece of kit!

Last edited:
Just got one of these as an upgrade when I sent in my 900 LRF after is took a tumble out of the safe and quit reading accurately. Was told by leica that the 900 was too old to repair and that I could trade up to the 2400 for $250 or the 2700 for $500. I already use strelok so no need for a ballistic solver built in and went with the 2400. Awsome company and great service. Now to make my own neoprene cover for my new super light and small range finder. They offer one from the factory but best price I found is $60-70. I can get some thick neoprene and wrap it myself for less with better protection.

You are going to be very pleased with it’s performance. I have been so impressed with the 2400’s ability to pick up small targets and non-reflective targets at distance.

Still hoping that RRS will make a tripod / rail mount for it!

Well, guys, I have been following the 2400 thread from the beginning. Wasn't really hearing a lot about the 2400. SO, I took the plunge anyway & purchased one from Ben @ Sport Optics during their Black Friday Sale. Well, so far, I couldn't be happier that I did.... I'm easily getting 1500+ with no trouble, & 2k pretty consistantly! So, I can say from experience they are Good-To-Go !!!!!! I did get the Leica tripod mount also, but could talk myself into a different mount, & or neoprene cover..... Ha Ha Ha Idaho=5R

Reactions: jeffmedlin