• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 3200com (edited)

alsation

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2008
Seattle
I just got a pair of these. A few comments on using them over two days at a practice session. Getting them set up and paired to the was a bit of a challenge because the leica manual and user interface isn’t intuitive for me. There aren’t any proper 3200com videos showing set up and pairing to the kestrel. So, I went on line and found some of the set up videos for the Leica 2800. They use the same system and many of the setup/pairing steps are identical. Make sure your kestrel firmware is up to date as of this writing it was 1.39

The pros:
The reticle is now a circle and much smaller than previous models of the geovid.
The ranging speed is much faster.
There is a scan mode.
The binos have a compass built in so when communicating with the kestrel the 3200com sends not only the range but also the direction and angle of fire to the kestrel. So, provided you’ve got the wind set up on your kestrel, the complete firing solution including wind hold will appear in the reticle. When you press the ranging button the range will appear. Then after a brief pause the kestrel generated elevation dope will show in the reticle, then the wind correction will show. The wind correction includes the bracketed wind holds from the kestrel. All of this info simultaneously appears on the kestrel screen.
You can build a range card for several targets.
As you range different targets over a range fan of say 180 degrees the wind correction will also change for each tgt.

The cons:
First let me state up front I have little tech aptitude. This review is after only one day’s experience. I’m writing this as a start point for others to provide solutions.

The setup instructions are criptic. As stated above I found the Leica 2800 setup instructions from other users really helpful, it’s the same system after all.
The BT connectivity. Awesome when it’s there but it kept dropping. I started using the full functionality yesterday morning it was awesome everything worked and worked as it should. Then I started having connection issues. Then it would connect at all. Then it stopped ranging entirely. The blue tooth symbol would flash and the ranging reticle would just spin. No info at all.

I’ve since spoken w Leica about the issues. They told me to change the battery. It may have drained while in my pack over night. Since then it’s working as it should. I’ll keep testing it over the next week and report if the issues persist.

Last edited:
I’ve come back to the unit several times. It will work for one range then go back to not working at all. Not ranging. BT flashing reticle spinning, no data. Have reached out to Leica this morning.

I’ve come back to the unit several times. It will work for one range then go back to not working at all. Not ranging. BT flashing reticle spinning, no data. Have reached out to Leica this morning.
That's incredible to me that something that expensive isn't even ranging. I understand BT connectivity issues but not even performing its primary task?? I'm in the market for RF binos and posts like this make me think I should skip the BT function and maybe get the Vortex Fury 5000.

Reactions: AbbyKatt
Leica got back to me this morning and they told me to change the battery. The binos were in my pack over night and they suspect the range button may have been engaged the whole time. Since changing the battery it’s been working as it should. I’ll keep testing it over the next week. But it’s working as it should.

Leica got back to me this morning and they told me to change the battery. The binos were in my pack over night and they suspect the range button may have been engaged the whole time. Since changing the battery it’s been working as it should. I’ll keep testing it over the next week. But it’s working as it should.
that's great news (y)

that's great news (y)
My batteries are fresh and sure that it is not being pushed and drained. If you let the leica power off, when you power it back up it will not reconnect often.

I am wanting to buy these and was hoping they were a step up interface and bluetooth wise

I would like to see it's ranging abilities on soft targets like deer, coyotes etc. After all that is by far the most important aspect of any rangefinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: PFG
I've been waiting for this functionality in a pair of binos with high end glass. Bummer to hear that the BT technology is not up to par. I'll certainly hold off on purchasing. Hopefully Leica can get is sorted out.

I did a bunch of testing and shared this on another thread, please test and verify.

Leica 2800.com BT testing:

Leica setup, BT enabled, no ballistic calculator settings on device

Kestrel 5700elite setup: BT enabled device mode connected to Leica, Kestrel BT mode set to lock in the device submenu on the Kestrel, setting in display menu set to 15m auto shutdown
fgnhFzv5zmHLCTlphrPhdkV-kc-W_5030c0W8PwjeARoFY2VNyMb98RbJ1Pn0NX4omZZxxEG8v0vSnQIkSct44JJFfSdy-YTfu-LAWaYq1LtUhFTh44k2LMoZ4fj38p3jOyqBu3x

1. I can range multiple targets for hours if I do not let the Leica or Kestrel go into sleep mode.

1. If the Leica goes into sleep mode, and I wake it with button 1, it will power up, reconnect to the Kestrel BT, the reticle will swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) as it reconnects with the Kestrel. When this is complete I can range targets as needed. Come up and wind hold information is displayed on the Leica and the Kestrel.

1. If they both go to sleep and I wake up the Leica with button 1 and power on the Kestrel and wait for the reticle to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device), it operates in the same way as above in (2).

1. If the Leica goes to sleep and I wake it with button 2, the Leica appears to reconnect with the Kestrel, it appears to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) and be good. When you press button 2 to range, it displays the range but not the come up or wind hold on the Leica. It does send the info to the Kestrel and displays on the Kestrel.
    1. There does seem to be some extended amount of time the Leica is asleep for it to enter this mode. I did see it work properly when I woke the device with button 2 right after it went to sleep. If I let it sit for several minutes after going to sleep it consistently entered this “partially” disconnected state. I waited 2 minutes after seeing the Leica go to sleep.
    2. If I leave the Leica awake in this disconnected state and go into the BT menu on the Kestrel and force it to reconnect. It goes back to being connected and working as expected
    3. If you power the Leica off with button 1, wait for it to power off, and power back up with button 1. It goes back to working as expected.

Got a pair as well.
Instructions are non existent. Disappointing
I call BS on the battery. Right out of the box, fresh battery, mine seem to be inconsistently ranging. Sometimes working sometimes they seem to be stuck and unable to range. Haven’t had much time with them yet.

Reactions: *Tavman*
Got a pair as well.
Instructions are non existent. Disappointing
I call BS on the battery. Right out of the box, fresh battery, mine seem to be inconsistently ranging. Sometimes working sometimes they seem to be stuck and unable to range. Haven’t had much time with them yet.
Are you ranging 25y+? The docs don't say this but here is a minimum or it times out.

Yes much further
I have never had any issues ranging (except to close when paying around), when I first got it I would wrongly press the power button #1, by accident. That might be battery or some setting, I would start with a new battery and disable Bluetooth just to debug.

Mine every press of button 2 on a reasonable target gets a return, what return is a different discussion. Loops, distance, reticle alignment, tripod vs hand, etc.

Anyone able to independently verify my testing? I would love for Leica to respond and fix.

Sean, I tried you fixes above. No joy. I’ve been talking to Leica they committed to fixing it. I guess I just got a bad unit.

Reactions: seansmd
Any more updates. I’m looking at changing my range finder binos, but don’t want to spend a load of cash if the units are unreliable.

What’s displayed inside the Leica when ranging while paired with the Kestrel? Is there a BT symbol or anything indicating it’s paired?

There is a BT logo when in BT mode, and when you click the range button it flashes the same when it is properly connected as when it doesn't. When it is not properly connected it takes longer and times out. See my description above in post #10

Any more updates. I’m looking at changing my range finder binos, but don’t want to spend a load of cash if the units are unreliable.
My buddy just got a new replacement set a few weeks ago. We had them out at a match last weekend and they still don't work properly. The Kestrel connection is a nightmare. Most of the time you can;t get the Kestrel to pair with the binos. If you actually get them to pair they will often freeze up or take forever to display your dope in the HUD. I have a set of the SIG BDX Binos. Their Kestrel technology is light years ahead of Leica. I was planning on selling my SIGS and buying the Leica because of the superior glass in the Leicas, but not after all the issues by buddy is having with his replacement set.

Reactions: Wyzrd and lambsey
There is a BT logo when in BT mode, and when you click the range button it flashes the same when it is properly connected as when it doesn't. When it is not properly connected it takes longer and times out. See my description above in post #10

I don’t have the Leica, but...

With my PLRF, if I don’t pair the two devices in the right order, they won’t communicate. I have to initiate pairing on the PLRF first, then on the Kestrel. Otherwise I get to the point where I want to use both for target practice.

Point is that the order of pairing is important.

I don’t have the Leica, but...

With my PLRF, if I don’t pair the two devices in the right order, they won’t communicate. I have to initiate pairing on the PLRF first, then on the Kestrel. Otherwise I get to the point where I want to use both for target practice.

Point is that the order of pairing is important.
Not with the Leica, tried it both ways.

• Sad
Reactions: lambsey
Very disappointing to hear all your results. Just looking at these as i have sold my HD-B....

I wont be spending 2k+ on technology that isn't fit for purpose!!!

Reactions: *Tavman*
It is sad to hear of the issues that they are having, and are not isolated issues. Hopefully a firmware update can solve this but I won't be spending the money on a new set with this type of issue.

Very disappointing to hear all your results. Just looking at these as i have sold my HD-B....

I wont be spending 2k+ on technology that isn't fit for purpose!!!
I'm in the same boat. I sold my HDB's a few month ago with a plan to replace them with this new model.

As these units cost around $4.5Kish in Australian dollars, this thread just saved me a fair pile of cash. You wonder sometimes if these companies bother to critically examine user feedback and actually do something about fixing these issues. With the Leica .COM units, it’s hardly a new problem. Their target market is precision LR shooters so this type of feedback will impact their bottom line.

I am in the same boat looking....

What about the Zeiss with the ballistics in the bio so you don't have to link to a Kestrel?

Does the 2800.com have all these issues too? I've been eyeing one of those; but hell, if it drops bluetooth, has issues ranging, then wth is the point of dumping that much on it?

This was what I received from a tech guy at Leica about the 3500.com

"I just had a call with Germany about this, and here’s the result:

1) 6 feet is in no way the max range, beyond 6 feet seems is troublesome in a few directions.

2) The quality design of the unit dictates that the range is reduced compared to cheaper products because of the higher build quality. The magnesium chassis and carbon fiber housing aren’t as transparent to BT transmission as plastic. Having the shooter/ranger between the CRF and the Kestrel will also reduce range. It’s a trade-off I know, but we sacrifice connectivity range for a tougher, more reliable unit.

3) The limited range is direction-specific- the BT antenna is in the front end of the unit, above the emitter, so if it has to communicate to the rear, or downwards, the range is reduced. Side to side and forward communications work much better. If the kestrel is directly behind the shooter or directly below him, move the kestrel to the side a bit. Our testing has found connectivity past 5m on side to side and Kestrel forward of CRF situations.

Hope this helps!"

This was what I received from a tech guy at Leica about the 3500.com

"I just had a call with Germany about this, and here’s the result:

1) 6 feet is in no way the max range, beyond 6 feet seems is troublesome in a few directions.

2) The quality design of the unit dictates that the range is reduced compared to cheaper products because of the higher build quality. The magnesium chassis and carbon fiber housing aren’t as transparent to BT transmission as plastic. Having the shooter/ranger between the CRF and the Kestrel will also reduce range. It’s a trade-off I know, but we sacrifice connectivity range for a tougher, more reliable unit.

3) The limited range is direction-specific- the BT antenna is in the front end of the unit, above the emitter, so if it has to communicate to the rear, or downwards, the range is reduced. Side to side and forward communications work much better. If the kestrel is directly behind the shooter or directly below him, move the kestrel to the side a bit. Our testing has found connectivity past 5m on side to side and Kestrel forward of CRF situations.

Hope this helps!"
Hi Doug,

It is much more than range as described in post 10 above: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/leica-3200com-edited.6993887/post-8409521

I would be happy to discuss this live with Leica. This happens with the lrf mounted on my tripod, and my kestrel connected to the same with a QD, so never more than inches apart. I think we all expect range issues with BT, anyone with a BT headset who walks away from their phone or laptop knows it's pretty short and not very deterministic. There is an expectation that paired devices that are both powered up connect and reconnect reliably.

Hi Doug,

It is much more than range as described in post 10 above: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/leica-3200com-edited.6993887/post-8409521

I would be happy to discuss this live with Leica. This happens with the lrf mounted on my tripod, and my kestrel connected to the same with a QD, so never more than inches apart. I think we all expect range issues with BT, anyone with a BT headset who walks away from their phone or laptop knows it's pretty short and not very deterministic. There is an expectation that paired devices that are both powered up connect and reconnect reliably.
I'm jumping on this without citing the source--can't remember where I read it--but "so never more than inches apart" might be the problem. I think it's in my Sennheiser manual, but then it may have been in my Sig (2400ABS) manual. I do remember thinking that the reception of the BT return pick up is also in a cone configuration--the proverbial flashlight beam--therefore too close may be a miss altogether. So, maybe try a greater distance in the mounts offset? Hope this helps.

I'm jumping on this without citing the source--can't remember where I read it--but "so never more than inches apart" might be the problem. I think it's in my Sennheiser manual, but then it may have been in my Sig (2400ABS) manual. I do remember thinking that the reception of the BT return pick up is also in a cone configuration--the proverbial flashlight beam--therefore too close may be a miss altogether. So, maybe try a greater distance in the mounts offset? Hope this helps.
Great thought, but definitely correlated to the Leica going to normal battery saving sleep mode and then woken up with the range button. Like I described above I can keep them connected and working all day and then recreate repeatedly by seeing the leica to go to sleep for an extended time.

Have had my 3200.com’s for a couple of weeks, had an initial play around sitting outside and was seriously frustrated. As others have said instructions may as well be written in another language. Found a helpful video on YouTube on pairing a 2800 to a kestrel and that got me going. But working well for a bit then drop connection then freeze up. Frustrating. Found this thread and so went out today to try and see if I could get them working better. Paired up initially no worries and working well. Shooting kneeling over tripod with kestrel on the ground below me to the front and slightly left, less than two feet away, then for no apparent reason they would drop blue tooth, sometimes link back on there on sometimes I would have to muck around for five minutes trying to get them to pair again. They are seriously awesome kit when they are doing what they advertise they will but it’s pretty disheartening when they aren’t and you’ve dropped $5000 kiwi dollars. Especially when they freeze up and then they are not even able to preform basic ranging functions. Thinking pretty hard about returning them and waiting a couple of years for them to make some that actually work as advertised

Have had my 3200.com’s for a couple of weeks, had an initial play around sitting outside and was seriously frustrated. As others have said instructions may as well be written in another language. Found a helpful video on YouTube on pairing a 2800 to a kestrel and that got me going. But working well for a bit then drop connection then freeze up. Frustrating. Found this thread and so went out today to try and see if I could get them working better. Paired up initially no worries and working well. Shooting kneeling over tripod with kestrel on the ground below me to the front and slightly left, less than two feet away, then for no apparent reason they would drop blue tooth, sometimes link back on there on sometimes I would have to muck around for five minutes trying to get them to pair again. They are seriously awesome kit when they are doing what they advertise they will but it’s pretty disheartening when they aren’t and you’ve dropped $5000 kiwi dollars. Especially when they freeze up and then they are not even able to preform basic ranging functions. Thinking pretty hard about returning them and waiting a couple of years for them to make some that actually work as advertised
Reading post #10 may help you immensely. In any event hope it does.

Did you read the link I posted?
Yup read everything on here before going out yesterday, my main issue was not Bluetooth dropping connection with either the Leica or kestrel going to sleep as I was using them pretty continuously. It was in the blue tooth dropping while glassing, ie still have reticle lit in the leicas and then blue tooth symbol will start flashing, and or blue tooth is connected but will only show range on Leica and no elevation or windage and nothing displays on the kestrel just the last range to have linked. I am not touching the menu button only the range button. I will re check all of my settings on kestrel and leicas tomorrow and hopefully head back out but like I say my biggest issue is dropping connection during use not with leicas going into sleep mode

Yup read everything on here before going out yesterday, my main issue was not Bluetooth dropping connection with either the Leica or kestrel going to sleep as I was using them pretty continuously. It was in the blue tooth dropping while glassing, ie still have reticle lit in the leicas and then blue tooth symbol will start flashing, and or blue tooth is connected but will only show range on Leica and no elevation or windage and nothing displays on the kestrel just the last range to have linked. I am not touching the menu button only the range button. I will re check all of my settings on kestrel and leicas tomorrow and hopefully head back out but like I say my biggest issue is dropping connection during use not with leicas going into sleep mode
I have not seen that with my 2800.com

Hopefully I am doing something wrong or have something set up wrong. Frustrating when instructions are virtually useless
Let me know if I can help, the leica goes to sleep super fast, if you look in the view finder and don't see anything, it's either already asleep or in the process of going to sleep. Like mentioned before the range button (on the 2800 at least) is too easy to hit as you pick it up inadvertantly and wake it up in the wrong mode. The other thing to mention is trying to range things extremely close will not produce a result.

Let me know if I can help, the leica goes to sleep super fast, if you look in the view finder and don't see anything, it's either already asleep or in the process of going to sleep. Like mentioned before the range button (on the 2800 at least) is too easy to hit as you pick it up inadvertantly and wake it up in the wrong mode. The other thing to mention is trying to range things extremely close will not produce a result.
Thanks very much I appreciate that

Ok just did a bit of testing outside. There is definitely truth to the blue tooth cone. Arms length in front and below with the kestrel is fine. Push the kestrel arms length to the side and down at waist length while standing and it will drop connection. So on re reading the comments from Leica this confirms with the blue tooth aerial being on top of the unit and having poor reception downward. This could also be why I was having difficulty when shooting kneeling with the kestrel on the ground. Will do some more testing with kestrel at the same height as the geovids or maybe even higher. In saying that it’s pretty impractical to have to always have the kestrel in a certain position, I am not only looking in one direction. I downloaded the Leica app this morning to make sure everything was all up to date and with my iPhone 30 cm directly in front of the geovids it would not connect for a couple of minutes, then did connect and showed really poor reception then full reception? Like the bt signal is intermittent. All this testing has been whilst the geovids have been “awake” to cold here today to wait for them to sleep haha.

Got out again yesterday. Mounted the kestrel in front and slightly above me on a tripod. Blue tooth still dropped out on occasion was maybe slightly better. Then they seemed to crash and stopped ranging entirely for about ten minutes. Then would return a range but no way they would connect to the kestrel. Battery maybe? I’ve only used them four times I know there’s a bit more going on but really? Had my old geovids for 5 or 6 years and they are still on the original battery. Manual says that the range and reticle flash when the battery is running low. Got none of that?

Return it before the return date runs out. It's not worth paying money for something that causes constant troubleshooting and playing around with. After awhile you'll just stop using it because it doesnt work as advertised. This has been my experience in buying products at least.

Yeah will be making a call this morning. Disappointing they haven’t got it right. Awesome glass and technology is a game changer........when it works

Great post and very informative. I went with the Sig BDX. Leica's are at the moment to temperamental.