• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

Not sure honestly. It was from a few months ago in Western Washington. I’m pretty new to coyote hunting so I just assumed it was a summer coat.

Maybe they have some mange in the area then because I shot this one about a mile away from the last one. Hmm I should get in contact with fish and game to see if it’s an issue.
99B8C6EB-7ECF-4B4E-97E8-C29B9AB2A2AA.jpeg

Reactions: ZXGRIFF
Any of you here who hunt cow pastures? I have a friend who is having coyote problems in his pasture and I'm wondering what kind of call sequence you are having success with?

Any of you here who hunt cow pastures? I have a friend who is having coyote problems in his pasture and I'm wondering what kind of call sequence you are having success with?

That's what I call 99% of the time. First thing to factor is set location and wind direction. Try to figure out where they are coming from, and make sure they can't get downwind of you without you seeing them. This time of year I usually just start with some type of distress sound. Whether it be rodent, rabbit, or bird. Dont overlook the prairie dog and rat sounds, they can be killer. Run a few different distress sounds for a while, then go to some pup sounds and fight sounds. When it gets closer to breeding season is when the howls and different vocals really shine.

Reactions: Hawkguy29
So I wont necessarily need to start off with calf distress or something "scenario specific?" Some times I wonder if I'm way overthinking the game, or not putting enough thought into it.

You can use calf distress, especially if they are calving. It isn't going to hurt your chances. But you don't necessarily need to use that sound. Ive killed a few coyotes on calf distress. But I would try and keep away from the herd, because those cows will be all over you in no time. They can be a real pain when calling.

Calf distress might get some pissed off cows coming for you.
I've used fawn distress and had does come in looking to stomp something.
Jackrabbit distress hardly ever disappoints.

Reactions: SDBguy95
6.5cm at about 100yds while in the deer stand. Very little damage and almost no blood. One of these days i might mount one, but right now i'm not gonna try to justify the cost.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: TACC and SDBguy95
For all the coyote hunters who want to save hides, I would look at the 77g Cayuga bullet in .224 available from Patriot Valley Arms. Just started using them this year, exit holes have been more than pleasant in regards to sewing. Bullets shoot extremely well out of my 7 twist, .223 and 22BRA barrels. Looking forward to trying the match version.

Ok guys, in case you were wondering about the cayuga 77g .224 bullets on hide damage. This is the second coyote i have shot head on, with exits mid rib cage. As you know, generally these are the worst type of exits in regarda to pelt damage. Both times, the exit hole has been an inch or less. This was shot at 130 yards with a 77 cayuga at 3040 fps. Bullet hole minimal, the blood makes it look worse than it is.
20201111_081455.jpg

Had this one come in after conversing with it for an hour.
Called it a night after the miss, as it should've been a one + done at 60 yards.
Before this set up, I had a mishap that broke my trigger stick and must've really bumped my scope, as it was off 3"s left and 1" up when checking zero.

Just finished up for the day with the cayuga bullet. All four had minimal pelt damage. Closest shot 130, longest 621, exits were similar, tiny. None of them stayed in the animals. These are going to be the bullet I use from now on for coyotes. They are a bit more money than your standars ELD, RDF, etc. But the lack of damage far out weighs the cost, at least for my application.

Attachments

• 20201111_151024.jpg
    20201111_151024.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 260284
Just finished up for the day with the cayuga bullet. All four had minimal pelt damage. Closest shot 130, longest 621, exits were similar, tiny. None of them stayed in the animals. These are going to be the bullet I use from now on for coyotes. They are a bit more money than your standars ELD, RDF, etc. But the lack of damage far out weighs the cost, at least for my application.

What caliber are you shooting those out of? I have a 1-7" Bartlein in my safe for my 223.

Shot this one Sunday when duck hunting. he was up about 10 yards from someone’s house at 1030 in the morning I think we did him a favor look at the mage on her 6.5 cm Berger 140 gr Elite Hunter running away about 50 yds away hit the left side and ran down the ribs splitting it open didn’t want to touch it cuz of the mange
5FC27706-23DF-4CCE-B19C-A3EF5466C7CA.jpeg
813D1A77-0780-43B3-BCD5-EDAE98C09956.jpeg

I'm currently running a .243 AR I built. But thinking about picking up a 22.250.

Whats everyone's go to Coyote caliber.
I have been using a 223, but I just picked up a 204 ruger to play with. Hope to try it out soon.

Reactions: Brian300
Done deer hunting for the year time to get started!

O,
I have had a slow start this year, but turned up the wick today. Cloudy and a little damp, went to the timber at 1100, some body on the other farm decided to become a coyote hunter, playing his electric call as loud as possible, over and over and over.. thought I had went to the TWILIGHT ZONE.
GEEZ.. Anyway loaded up and walked about 1,000 yds. or so away from the Champ, that put me on a draw which comes from a large stand of timber. The draw has a lot of small trees and brush, heavy brush on one side, the small trees always hold a lot of birds, so, birds equal Bobcats sometimes. I sat up, setting a small electric caller down towards the bottom of the draw, and with a West wind, sat on the east side. I waited an hour, yes, that's correct, an hour, I wasn't sure if anyone had been in there calling, always a chance with some hunters jumping the fence lines, . so waiting works for me,, I noticed the birds and squirrels were very active and started my call with a injured redbird , very slow, very soft, the other birds would come in and raise hell, I thought this was a good sign, so after about 30 minutes, with a lot of pauses, I switched to woodpecker using my same pattern, soft, maybe 2/3 's volume, then soft, wait, nothing to crazy... I had been on stand 2 hours and 5 minutes when across the brushy side of the draw, I saw a coyote moving in on my call, he went down in the bottom of the draw out of site, ,70 yds. I mounted my gun, nothing showed,, I new not to panic, easy, wait,,, he popped out at 60 yards from behind a cedar tree, 10 yards from my call, but, wrong side of the wind for him, pop, 22-250. DRT, reload with some H380. 52 grain, shell didn't matter that much, nice close shot, just took my time and let him get done peeing. Male, I would say 4-5 years old. No cats, maybe next time. Tikka Compact, I like being able to run the shorter stock when having the winter gear on.. Thanks for looking, Charlie112 I like my hand calls, just lazy today, decided to run the dc...
yote 1 -2020.jpg

That's some patience there. I thought I sat longer than most people. But I usually don't sit more than 30 minutes.