• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

I posted this earlier in it's own thread: Hunting & Fishing - Is this a world record? | Sniper's Hide Forum
Some of you may have seen it already. I'm genuinely curious, anyone ever kill more than 8 coyotes (or 10, depending on how you want to count it) on a single stand? Or even if you came close, what were the conditions?

20201104_100455.jpg

I posted this earlier in it's own thread: Hunting & Fishing - Is this a world record? | Sniper's Hide Forum
Some of you may have seen it already. I'm genuinely curious, anyone ever kill more than 8 coyotes (or 10, depending on how you want to count it) on a single stand? Or even if you came close, what were the conditions?

View attachment 7506593
Killed three one day, a pair together, two shots about 100 yards,another came running in, dropped him at 50, pasture, winter, cows had caves, lucky..., haven’t seen three together in a long time in the dead of winter, just singles and every now and then a pair, you just never know...

Reactions: SupressYourself
Missed three yesterday. Probably need to swap out the MK18 as my truck gun until I can get the MRO I bought for it sighted in. I’m not good enough with irons for a 200+ yard shot, especially running that short of a barrel.

Getting 2021 kicked off right in KY

Attachments

• B3EC3A20-636C-41D8-A161-96B45F068BBB.jpeg
    B3EC3A20-636C-41D8-A161-96B45F068BBB.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 6916296E-43EE-4C92-82FB-FC94BF3C1AE9.jpeg
    6916296E-43EE-4C92-82FB-FC94BF3C1AE9.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 64
  • B76DD554-A105-46A0-87DE-6D8748C81FE2.jpeg
    B76DD554-A105-46A0-87DE-6D8748C81FE2.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 66
  • B06FAD06-8FD9-4A4F-9082-ACE4E9D9CB6C.jpeg
    B06FAD06-8FD9-4A4F-9082-ACE4E9D9CB6C.jpeg
    899.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 11AB78AF-770E-4244-A192-397D3B31B3A7.jpeg
    11AB78AF-770E-4244-A192-397D3B31B3A7.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 54
Shot this male this mourning about 7:30, I had shot a male in this area around 3 weeks ago. I normally set up in the dark as I know my areas pretty well. Today I had to wait until first light do to the cows are calving and they get a little spooky in the dark, 50 head with calves are always a good time. Anyway, set up other side of field, e-call out in the black locus patch that runs from the timber to the cattle area. Starting playing vole sounds at a very low volume, waited about 5 minutes then ramped it up for 60 seconds, then backed it down, saw a head peaking out of the timber edge, I got my rifle up, but he was gone, then 30 seconds later, he is in the draw working his way towards the caller. I had already mounted my rifle so I let him close to 50 yards, shot, and bingo,,,, hit a dam limb out in front of me I didn't see, the dog turned and looked the opposite way, this time, 22-250 connected, half mile drag to my truck, party over, I called 6-8 minutes, est. These last couple of days with the NW wind, I saw more game, deer etc. around mid day, but , no fur... rest day tomorrow then back at it, still trying for a cat, hell, I might take a barn cat if he is big enough...SAFE HUNTING...Charlie112
thumbnail (9).jpg

I need to find a place to pop some coyotes in Colorado after reading this thread, especially now that I have a 6CM barrel for my AI!

Windy as hell this afternoon, waited until wind laid at 4:45, I used my hand call as I wasn't sure the wind would even lay so I hadn't set up the electric, one series on the hand call, she game in about ten minutes or so, my nicest female in along time, 100 yards, DRT. I had set up in a large field with several draws and weed patches, I have harvested coyotes in there in the past 30 years, but had hit a dry spell, I hadn't scored in that area in two years, about 6 sets or less, second time on the farm this year, first time on the weed patch. 22-250.
DOG 3.jpg

Windy as hell this afternoon, waited until wind laid at 4:45, I used my hand call as I wasn't sure the wind would even lay so I hadn't set up the electric, one series on the hand call, she game in about ten minutes or so, my nicest female in along time, 100 yards, DRT. I had set up in a large field with several draws and weed patches, I have harvested coyotes in there in the past 30 years, but had hit a dry spell, I hadn't scored in that area in two years, about 6 sets or less, second time on the farm this year, first time on the weed patch. 22-250.View attachment 7532434
Good lookin dog. Always feels good to break a cold streak.

Reactions: Charlie112
Top pic was the female 30lbs. She was shot by my buddy at 140. Called in on a rope from about 350. Male was way more cautious and hung back. Male ran back in the woods but came back a few minutes later to see if lady friend was headed back. I tried several different calls, but he was having none of it. Talked my dope over with my buddy and settled on 3 MILS. We had to estimate yardage cause it was at night, 300BO 110 GMX supers, and a Pulsar Thermion XP50. Lased it the next morning when we picked them up and got 330. Shots on both were center chest. Male weighed 43lbs. Both were our first coyotes. I have both kills on video, but can’t figure out how to load them here.

1611320037086.jpeg

1611319957519.jpeg

Came close a couple times hearing coyotes within 100 yards but they disappear on me. I have yet to bag one thus far. What do you guys do with the coyotes? I'd like to have a couple pelts. What do you do with the rest of the dog? I can't imagine they are very tasty to eat.

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
Morning report:

single digit temps, snow, cloudy, very little wind mostly no wind

The public land I hunt on has restrictions from 10pm to 4am where it's "closed". So I got in right away at 4am and drove blacked out with NV at 20mph to keep the sound down. After getting to my parking spot, grabbed all my gear and headed towards my intended hunting spot. On my way there, some deer were nearby. They were alerted but not spooked. I stayed still and watched them cross the field I was hunting. Stayed put until they let their guard down and didn't feel threatened.

Shortly after setting up my tripod and coyote call, I heard a coyote bark behind me, had to be less than 80 yards away. I stayed still, activated the challenge bark call and no feedback. I stayed quiet watching the tree line which was behind me. No feedback or visual after a few minutes. I tried the rabbit call but nothing.

Based on the tracks I saw yesterday afternoon, I thought for sure it would come from the field in front of me which was more downwind than being behind me.

The yote probably saw or winded you and that was a "warning" bark, which (usually) means you're screwed.
They roam all over the place, especially at night, so tracks are only an indication that they are in the area. While it is critical to have an idea of where they may come from and set up on that according to the wind, they really can come from just about anywhere.

I was out yesterday calling... unsuccessfully. I spotted a pair at 11-1200 yds, but they didn't seem interested in anything I had to offer. Sadly I was packing a .223. Maybe something else next time.
It's Currently snowing hard, so I'll try again when the storm quits.

The yote probably saw or winded you and that was a "warning" bark, which (usually) means you're screwed.
They roam all over the place, especially at night, so tracks are only an indication that they are in the area. While it is critical to have an idea of where they may come from and set up on that according to the wind, they really can come from just about anywhere.

Yeah, I’m still learning. Getting closer, but no cigar yet.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance here... (I'm new to the forums) but im assuming this the thread for coyote hunting?! I'm from northern Illinois and proud to admit im a coyote hunting addict lol my hunting buddy and I managed to get 8 this weekend. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to seeing what you guys are doing and what's working for you. Happy hunting!

I apologize in advance for my ignorance here... (I'm new to the forums) but im assuming this the thread for coyote hunting?! I'm from northern Illinois and proud to admit im a coyote hunting addict lol my hunting buddy and I managed to get 8 this weekend. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to seeing what you guys are doing and what's working for you. Happy hunting!
No need to apologize, all good on here and good shooting , your hunting buddy and you are on them!! Members enjoy seeing the pics and learning about rifles and calibers used, also call types, night or day time hunting. Welcome to the hide.

We received about 2-3 inches of snow in N. E. Missouri, it has been dry here and the ponds and creeks in my area can use the moisture. I was on stand yesterday at 1100 hrs. The temp when I left the truck was 19 degrees, a little snappy but the wind was 2 mph to calm out of the North. I sat up on small ridge over looking a large weed patch and draws. I harvested a nice female in this area last week. It was partly cloudy and I tried one series with my hand call, then it went back in the jacket to thaw out. There were a few birds stirring and I decided take a look with my field glasses one time before I headed back to the truck, I was cold after about 20 minutes. There was a old road with a fence line running parallel to me at around 400 yards, in the fence line was a coyote headed my way but very slow, hunting mice all the way down the hill. She might have been up there when I called, she was really working the field over and acted like she didn't hear the call. I let her close to 250 yards, where she turned back and now was getting down wind for what wind there was. I got on my shooting stick, took her with one shot, the Tikka Compact 22-250 was spot on, drag to the truck, home to get warm!!

Attachments

• female 4.jpg
    female 4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 64
Coyote fur in North Dakota. Looking terrible a month early.

Attachments

• 20210201_181832.jpg
    20210201_181832.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 53