• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lets rate range finders by price

565fitter

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
Washington, WV
I am looking at buying a new rangefinder. I've been reading all the posts on here about what is the best rangefinder for this or that. I have a budget because I just spent over $5000 building my first lr bolt gun. maybe this would be a better way to give guys an idea of what they should get for their price range.

this is a "sniper" website so the purpose of these rangefinders will be for identifying targets out to 1000yds or more.
post up what you feel is the best laser for the price range. don't post about a laser unless you have used it.

-$500
$500-$700
$700-$1000
$1000-$1500
$1500-$2000
$2000+

Under $500 I would get the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC. Got one a couple of months ago and last week I was ranging tree's at 1800 to 1930 yard with no issues. The only bad thing I have noticed is the red led is hard to see in brite sun.

500 and under Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC, it will easily get you to 1000 yards. I've taken one to the Hide Cup twice now and I think I've only ever found maybe 3 targets I couldn't get a good range on, and we're talking small targets in field conditions. The new Leicas are supposed to be nice if you want to spend a little more and get a bit more accuracy, I haven't had any time with one so I won't speak to its merit or lack there of. I've got a Terrapin now and those run just under the $2000 dollar mark. I haven't done a review of it yet but its amazing. I've hit buildings and structures in excess of 3500 yards in bright sun freehand with no tripod. You definitely get some performance for the price with the Vectronix units. I will say this about the Leicas, they produce a COMPACT range finding package. Those are about the smallest units I've seen so if space is at a premium, you might want to look into one.

+1 on the bushnell. Performs better side-by-side than Leupold's in prairie dogs. Its my basis for evaluating rangefinders since its so hard to get accurate readings on those little critters.

While price point is important, that factor alone won't tell you anything about a LRF's ranging capability. Unless you're ranging hillsides or buildings, the stated range is about twice that required for smaller non-reflective objects. This thread has no purpose beyond braggadocio mythology.
Skip

While price point is important, that factor alone won't tell you anything about a LRF's ranging capability. Unless you're ranging hillsides or buildings, the stated range is about twice that required for smaller non-reflective objects. This thread has no purpose beyond braggadocio mythology.
Skip

I don't see why it doesn't have purpose. in a set price range tell which one is the best performer. so guys like me that has a budget can see what the best bang for my buck. everyone on here says the terrapin are the best, its in every post that starts out "which rangefinder". not all of us can afford one so tell me what will work for me in my price range, will it be as good as a $2000+ laser? no but its what I can afford to add to my kit

I have a Leica CRF 1200 that I have used heavily for the past few years and love. Have used it for range play and practice, bow hunting and numerous wilderness hunts and it has never failed. Its accurate, light, small, good optics, proven great in bad/wet weather, and very simplistic looking downrange. I keep wanting to get the new 1600-b, but haven't been willing to let go of my 1200, and need to play with one a bit.

I have ranged out to mid 1400's, but its pretty difficult and need a good clean hard surface that far out. Have ranged animals on hillsides out to the mid-1300 range, but admit I cannot say it hitting off the animal or hillside immediately around it.

I would look for a bushnell elite 1500 on ebay ,they sometimes go for $150-$175 with a camo case . I have owned several and they range out to 1400 yards when i tested them.

In my experience (and staying with civilian equipment only), you get the best results with Terrapin (speed, accuracy, convenience) for under $2,000.

Second best (aka "biggest bang for the buck") IMHO is Bushnell 1600 Fusion. It doesn't range quite as far and is much-slower/more-hesitant than Terrapin, but it would do the job.

Lowlight pointed out some time ago that it is crucial to keep the rangefinder steady (i.e., securely mounted/supported) when taking measurements. Terrapin tolerates more "hand-shake" than Bushnell, but in the end support is the key.

If you have difficulty seeing the LED in the sun move a hand over the right objective lens just after you range, it will give it a black background to read the LED better ;)

Under $500 I would get the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC. Got one a couple of months ago and last week I was ranging tree's at 1800 to 1930 yard with no issues. The only bad thing I have noticed is the red led is hard to see in brite sun.

I to have a leica CRF 1200 and it is real nice fits in a shirt pocket and is accurate.

i wonder to which degree people actually check the difference between: "my rangefinder gives a reading out to XXX", and "my rangefinder gives a _correct_ reading out to XXX" (within specs). Because just displaying _a_ number is something i care alot less about, than a (within specs) correct number

i wonder to which degree people actually check the difference between: "my rangefinder gives a reading out to XXX", and "my rangefinder gives a _correct_ reading out to XXX" (within specs). Because just displaying _a_ number is something i care alot less about, than a (within specs) correct number

Not trying to be a jerk in the least, but have you done this? (Ya, I am assuming you have a RF)

+1 on the bushnell. Performs better side-by-side than Leupold's in prairie dogs. Its my basis for evaluating rangefinders since its so hard to get accurate readings on those little critters.

That's why you range the mound and not the p dog. Little easier that way.

Also I have owned both the Fusion 1600 ARC monocular and a Terrapin and obviously the Terrapin wins hands down in straight ranging ability. The thing I don't like about the Terrapin is the amount of time it takes to take another measurement vs other rangefinders. It takes like 3 or 4 seconds to take another range and that drives me nuts. Also the Terrapin is pretty heavy so if you are an ounces are pounds kind of guy then steer clear of the Terrapin as it is over 1 pound. Other than those two things it's an awesome unit.

Now the Fusion monocular isn't a bad little unit either but don't expect to range 1MOA sized targets much past 800 years with it. It will indeed range 1800 yards like mentioned above but it has to be a big target like a truck or building. I had trouble ranging and IPSC sized target at and beyond 1000 yards and finally got tired of it so I went to the Terrapin. If your ranging is going to be inside 1K yards then the 1600 ARCs will be decent. I've also head that the binocular version ranges a little better but they are quit a bit more than the monocular.

Last edited:
Vectronix. I'd rate their rangefinders at the top of the list. Not cheap, but the best of the best.

$2000+ I say go with the Vectronix Vector IV. Europtic has them for $13,200. I used a Vector 21 in the service and it would easily range anything within 6 klicks, some more reflective objects out to 7+! Hook it up to a DAGR GPS and it will tell exactly where the stuff you range is on the earth! But seriously, this is more than likely far outside your budget (it is for me :p!). A much more realistic option and one I actually own is the Bushnell 1500. It cost me about $300 in 2010, and has served me well over the years. Mine reliably ranges anything under 700 yards, but does struggle past that mark. I've only twice gotten a range past 1000 yards and it was a some trucks at 1200 yards. For your requirements stated in your original post I would say this is a viable option. It works pretty well, it is compact and is also surprisingly tough, and affordable. In truth it does leave me wanting a little more, even though I don't get to shoot past 4-500 yards very often, but that's a personal problem.

Own a Vectronix PLRF25c(2000+), Fusion 1600 ARC binos and Swaro(700-1000). The Swaro's nice and small and works fine. IMO the Fusion ranges just as well. The 25c is unbelievable. Ranged cars coming down the highway into Laughlin at dusk at 7km. During the day reflective object in excess of 5km.
But most bang for the buck? The binos.

Skip THREE budget rangefinder purchases and go right to the Vectronix Terrapin.
Problem solved.

I love my Leica 1600, I would like to trade it in for the newer 1600B, but I have been really happy with my choice. In my price range it came down to the Leica 1600 and the Swarovski. I gave the edge to Swarovski on clarity, but liked the smaller size of the Leica 1600. I am very confident I made the correct decision. If you can pick up a used 1600, you could probably get a great deal. I have ranged my 1600 out to 1800 yards, it was a big semi truck. I have found it to be more accuarate when mounted on a tripod, I also use the scan mode when lasing a target becomes difficult. It ranges most things within 1,000 yards, which is good enough for my 308. I think Leical 1600 is the best bang for the buck.

Tagged.

I'm eyeing the bino/rangefinder combo from Bushnell ARC 1 mile RF.

I would like to hear from anyone that owns one.

Tagged.

I'm eyeing the bino/rangefinder combo from Bushnell ARC 1 mile RF.

I would like to hear from anyone that owns one.

I looked at them today at Cabela's took the 12x outside and compared to the 1600b. Both had bright displays and were easy to read. both quick to get a reading. under 175 yds they were about 10% off on measurements. over that they evened up. Don't know which was accurate. The 8x binos are about the same Price as a 1600b with the cradle for the tripod. I was suprised at the optical quality of the bino's I thought they might be just junk with a rangefinder. Not. Not super high end either but I could hunt with them for a week easy. Going to have to investigate these further.

this thread is interesting to me that nobody has mentioned the G7.

Idahoorion

I have the Leica CRF Rangemaster 1600b model, and I've been pretty happy with it. It works for every kind of reasonable ranging I've tried to do with it, and will reliably range to about 1,100 yards under the bright high-altitude sun we get here in Colorado (out to that distance I can usually range animals, rocks, foliage, etc without a problem). Performance on sunlit snow can be a bit rough, but you can still get good performance if you're ranging something other than the snow itself.

I was hiking around in Clear Creek Canyon near my home not too long ago, on a bright day with a bit of haze. I started ranging trees and rocks across the valley, and managed a few readings in the range of 1,800 to 1975+ yards. Under most circumstances I can pull it out to 1,200 without a problem, and I can get past the advertised 1,600 yard mark without too much trouble if I pick my targets carefully and stabilize the rangefinder (my girlfriend's father lives on a hill with a nice view, and we were ranging numerous objects from his place beyond a mile the other day). This rangefinder seems to do really well with ranging coniferous trees at long distances. I'd always heard that darker objects caused trouble for rangefinders, but this one seems to have no trouble picking out trees in the distance.

While I must admit that it is dark right now (an advantage to the rangefinder), I just walked outside to play with the Leica. There's one spot at the edge of my property where you can see quite a ways. I tried ranging four times with an unstabilized off-hand position. I received no range on the first click, pulled a 1,380 on a tree on the second click, a 1567 on a tree on the third click, and a 1347 on a house on the last attempt.

This rangefinder also has a thermometer (which doesn't react quite as quickly as I'd like), a barometer, and an inclinometer (I find the angle reading in the range finder to be a handy feature -- don't need to figure it out otherwise once I range the target).

Anyway, for an $800 device I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
I gave the Leica and Bushnell serious consideration but I have heard quite a few negative opinions concerning the level of customer service that those that had problems recieved from the manufacturer. I went with the Zeiss and havent regretted my decision.

Does anyone have experience with Newcom? They have a 2000 Pro that sounds good and also reads target velocity.

What if I rephrase the OP's question? Which LRF is best at each pricepoint if you only shoot out to 1200 yards?

Vectronix. I'd rate their rangefinders at the top of the list. Not cheap, but the best of the best.

Pretty much a hells yeah on that one.

What I have owned and used, in order of effectiveness.

1. Vectronix Terrapin, just got it but ranged a car at it's max distance of 2400+M, ranged a dog at 750m on first try, nice reticle, seems to be best one yet.

2. Swaro, donut peep a little big but dam good LRF, stuff at 1200 not a real problem. Best buy for price and effectiveness.

3. Leica, close to Swaro but little less effective at long distances. Will get you to 1000 nicely.

4. ACR 1600, not bad but not nearly as good as the Swaro or Leica, keep it under 500 on soft targets. Your gonna wanna upgrade from this one.

For what it's worth, remember i'm just some asshole with an opinion :)

Sako

Does anyone have experience with Newcom? They have a 2000 Pro that sounds good and also reads target velocity.

I wasted a lot of time and money on three of their models, progressively trying the next in line hoping to get something that could range reliably out to a mile - nope! If I knew then what I know now, I would have just spent the money on a mil-grade laser (back before the Terrapin was available). Five or six years ago what most people were recommending was the Leica and Swaro, which go for around $1000 and many claimed they were ranging far beyond what they were rated for. Tried 'em both - nope. Then I took a look at a PLRF-10, knowing from experience that it could do what I wanted it to do, but it was over $3k...so I baulked. Then I went down the NewCon road starting with the LRM1800, which was a joke (should have known), then the 2000Pro which didn't fare much better, so I jumped to the 2500 which was about half the price of the PLRF-10 and still no joy.

In the end, I should have just stuck with what I knew was going to work and just saved my money up a bit longer for a good mil-grade LRF.

I wasted a lot of time and money on three of their models, progressively trying the next in line hoping to get something that could range reliably out to a mile - nope!

In the end, I should have just stuck with what I knew was going to work and just saved my money up a bit longer for a good mil-grade LRF.

Ya, after Dog chiming in have to say that it's true it makes a big difference as to what your trying to range. A human vs. a white ISPC. With the Swaro and Leica ISPC is not an issue usually around 1000 for an ISPC. Softer or less reflective targets not so much, these are challenging. Could have I lazed a dog at 750 on first try with the Swaro, very doubtful. Thats why the Vectronix is impressive to me. It's not like rifle optics where there are some deals, if you want to do it right you have to spend a little.

Dog, you have to stop spending all your money dude! :)

"In the end, I should have just stuck with what I knew was going to work and just saved my money up a bit longer for a good mil-grade LRF."

Roger that, will keep saving. The upside is this lets me practice my reticle ranging alot more.

I have the Leica CRF 1200... Have never had an issue with it and even the glass clarity is superb. Was able to range non-reflective cattle out to 1100 yrds with it. Ranges fast, reticle inside isn't too big or small. Press button to power on, press same button to get range - very simple operation. It is compact...However, its compactness tends to be a disadvantage when you're using it off-hand. I will typically range with it while prone and sit it on top my rifle scope and I get a good steady hold with it that way. Would buy again...

Just something that I've noticed but there isn't much chatter anymore about the Swaro unit.

Swarovski corrected the reticle size and eye relief issues I have with my Laser Guide with the release of the EL Range but... If I could have the range finder (with it's features) of my Bushnell fusion 10x bino with the eye relief, field of view and glass quality of my 8x Swarovski EL Range, id be a happy fellow... just sayin'

That said, I still am not too motivated to sell my Laser Guide. ;)

Last edited:
Swarovski for me here too. The only one I have owned and the glass quality sold me on it.

I have looked through a few of the others and don't feel wanting...

I just got a terrapin and I was able to range a building face that had two depths, one was 3817 yards and one 3821 yards. This thing is accurate. I had 4 out of 6 hits on some buildings in direct sun at 1pm on a clear day past 4k yards!

5x mag but I can still use it to the fullest.

Also the 3821 and 3817 hits were 6 for 6 and no tripod! Just resting my elbows on the door of my truck.

I cannot recommend anything other than a Vectronix. IF you want quality then it is much much cheaper to buy it first because if not that's what you will be working torwards whether you know it or not. Started out with a luppy, then leica, then bushnell, and then Vectronix. Even at 2K you will thinking you got a steal. If you could put several LRF's agasint each other you will see there is absolutely no comparision. The sworski rf is probably the second best I would think but still not even close. I promise that if it's something your wanting to be using for several years then save a bit more and get a vectronix. I couldn't stress this enough. If you buy otherwise and then get to handle one your gonna be pissed. LOL

Good luck, buy once cry once on LRF's.

Nothing on the Zeiss units??? I like my PRF

I have a Leica 1200 and the furthest it has ranged was just over 1700 yards, but that was an unusually far reading. Under normal circumstances, it does quite well out to 1000, but anything over that requires really good conditions, and a VERY reflective surface. There have been days where it struggles to get out to 800, but in haze, I think any but the most powerful laser will have difficulty penetrating the haze for reliable readings.

I'm using the Bushnell G-Force 1300 Arch. I have reanged trees out to 1197/1196 and sheep to 851 on bright sunny days with mirrage and 25mph wind, for 300-400 dollars you cant go wrong, but if I can raise the cash I will go for the Terrapin but the elite 1600 and the G7 have also got my eye The G-Force/Bushnell would keep most shooters happy and the choice of over 2000 bullet software is a great help with 10 + 10 settings, the come ups are in MOA, MILs CMs and Inches plus the near and far modes (Target or Brush) settings.

John

Good info, all! Keep it coming! I'm in the market for one myself and this definitely helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

Good info, all! Keep it coming! I'm in the market for one myself and this definitely helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

John, somewhere here I wrote a bit about some testing I did on the G-Force and it stacks up pretty good and the next step would be the older Bushnell Elite 1600 Arc because it will go out beyoned 1800/1900 yds after that you are going into the 6 to $800 mark and after that your into the G7= 14/1500 dollar class, So good luck with your search,

John