• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Lets see your ghillie.

Re: Lets see your ghillie.

Here's mine. I took a desert night parka I was issued during the first gulf war and cut the hood off of it. I purchased a cheap volley ball net at Wally world n cut it up for my netting which I sewed to the parka using spider wire. Then I used goop to attach the burlap and just tied the jute on.
Then I did the same to a Boonie hat.....
I built this for the hunting of critters, with no intent of belly crawling. I have still hunted and just propped up against a tree or bush. I simply sat next to a tractor once in it and smoked a big ole Tom turkey. It has fooled many other turkeys, deer and coyotes as well.
It needs to be cool out to wear this heavy, stinking bastard.... But it works great!
I have about 40 hours invested in making it, and wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: AIAW

It looks a little shaggier then it actually is and it still needs a good mudbath I just haven't wanted to go try and find some mud when its 19 degrees out.

The pants are the same style camo with the same style reinforcement. The green panels have since been rattle canned to blend a little better.
IMG_1109.jpg

My initial box of supplies:
boxOghillie.jpg

Finished minus mudbath/shedding
IMG_1931.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work! </div></div>

I had a doe walk the same circular route around me 3 times coming with 10 yards each time staring at me wondering why the strange bush was breathing and holding a rifle. I was sitting on the ground and my legs were numb so I finally had to move and she took off. It was pretty cool.

it's just my base, but i have a lot of damn time in it...

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B4ME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's see your ghillie and maybe a description of how you made it. </div></div>

ThumbnailServer2.jpg

It was a dark and stormy nght....
laugh.gif

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01637.jpg

Chest skid plate has a storage compartment for ammo,GPS,can of dip or anything you want to stuff in there.550 cord is also sewn in to hook lanyards for your compass or such.
DSC01641.jpg

DSC01633.jpg

Two way zippers on both sides of top,once the top is zipped up you can unzip the arm pits to cool off.
DSC01634.jpg

The cargo pockets have been removed and placed on the back of the pants and other pockets have been relocated.
DSC01631.jpg

Port hole mesh vent hole on back,
DSC01640.jpg

Hood works with ball cap by hook and loop,
DSC01638.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

^Well thought out design! Is that all the jute/burlap you're going to add to the suit?

Genin thats all the jute you need and really whats on the suit might be to much.What your counting on is local veg. for concealment the jute is just a base layer.

SW, what weight material is used on the chest/legs of the suit for skid pads?

While I like the design, the chest pocket idea looks to be a feature that would only work for someone who didn't have to do realistic stalks. I can't imagine having anything hard/bulky in the chest area and being able to stalk a long the ground comfortably. What holds it closed, velcro or zipper?

Papa its 1000D cordura for the skid plates,the compartment is high up on the chest even in a skull drag you really can't fill anything in the pocket.The way I look at it just don't over fill the compartment and it is closed with a #8 YKK zipper.

I really like your suits brutus and sw, looks to be the same design. Everyones suit looks great, its something how many different ways there are to construct them. Thanks for sharing everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm finally able to join this thread:
0012_zpsd4a656c4.jpg
</div></div>

Nice. Cut 75% of that off and you'll have something.

Reactions: Cjwise5

LOL. I know I wayyyyyy over did it. I got warned a few times but DAMMIT it is so hard to not over do the jute when you're adding it. I am pleased with the color combo though.

Thanks for the compliment and advice. My plan is to use it, as is, then cut here and there as I see fit to get it to where I want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. I know I wayyyyyy over did it. I got warned a few times but DAMMIT it is so hard to not over do the jute when you're adding it. I am pleased with the color combo though.

Thanks for the compliment and advice. My plan is to use it, as is, then cut here and there as I see fit to get it to where I want it. </div></div>

If that's Jute...(I thought it was, but didn't want to jump to conclusions) I would suggest cutting 90% off and add dyed raffia grass to match whatever location you're heading out to.
It gives you the flexibility to pre-load your ghillie without the need to add so much field veg, because the raffia is a naturally occurring fibrous material, when compared to jute, which I've NEVER seen in nature.
Using raffia grass as your base "filler" is a more realistic substance.

Thank you for the tips guys. I will definitely work on those recommendations. I think it's going to stay in the basement for some weeks before I start doing anything with it again. It has me kind of burned out for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
boxOghillie.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg
</div></div>

This is a really nice job. Are those strands of burlap? Where did you find these supplies? I'm pretty sure this is exactly the type of supplies and end result I'm looking for!

Well done!!

Ok I did a bunch of trimming (about 50% of jute gone) and have given my ghillie it's mud bath. Here's where it's at. I definitely agree with the advice above to get rid of a lot of that jute. It was very extreme.

PostMudBath_zps9f40cd51.jpg

Still to much jute,trim the length no more than about 6" and remove some around the boots you will trip over it.

Some of my lengths of jute are very long. I'll look into that with my next trimming. Thanks for the tip.

I no its just for civie use but rule of thumb is 70% veg. 30% jute...When you trim it short it will start to mat together like a hairy Greek mans back,or leave it long and it looks like Bob Marley glued on.Its weight you don't need plus its keeps in heat and with that suit on after a heat stroke they would never find your body...Well except for the Smell!!!

All in all looks good...

Thank you for the compliment and the tips. I really do take them serious when those that know much more than me give me advice. I will definitely make sure to do some more serious trimming soon and focus on that 6" length you mentioned.

I'm almost done with the top, hood, & rifle wrap. Need some more manila rope to finish up the hood, & wrap.
GhillieSuit1.jpg

Ghilliesuit2.jpg

Last edited:
ghillieedited2_zpsd5befaa0.jpg

BDU's with elastic cord sewn on. Sisel, burlap and dummy cord woven in. Able to tie in local veg with cord. Front pockets removed from BDU's and reinforcing material added at knees, elbows and chest.

This was at a school in SC. I got busted, not because of Ghillie, but because my drape over the scope created a 'triangle' of dark that was visible from about 60 yds out. I needed much better drape and should have pulled my barrel back. At longer ranges, it probably would have passed, but LE scenario was on surveillance of a house where owner knew his terrain and the woods nearby (he sure as sh*t did!). A slight change in drape would have made it invisible. The picture was taken by an instructor/walker. I knew I was busted when I saw the 'perp' point at me through my scope. He looked right down the tube at me. The value of schools... great lesson learned. Plus the 'perp' had done this for over a decade. He knew all the hides watching his front door! But busted is busted...

If I were doing a suit over, I would have used 1/10 the amount of burlap/cord, etc. and a lot more 'pairs' of cords to tie in bundles of natural veg. We had a Marine SS/sheriff deputy in the course and this was how he did his ghillie. It was brilliant. He had little more than a small cape with lots of tie cords. Less is definitely more. Just enough artificial materials to start... then use what you can pick up. Big heavy suits won't blend like you think they will. They will look like big, artificial lumps of... Ghille suit.

Some nice workmanship on the suits above. But don't over-think it. And definitely drag it behind an ATV or lawnmower or something for a few hours. Mud it up. IMHO, Cotton's and Brutus' are just right. Lots of room to fit veg to the environment, nice and not over-done with the artificial materials.

FYI, I've never had to use mine in the field. Yet. Lots of school stalks and observations. But making a suit is kind of a rite of passage and sooner or later, I'll use it for real. Or not. Was still fun to make.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Bull Arms
Great suits guys. As others have mentioned above and given tips on, the overdoing of the jute is super easy to do. I am still in the trimming process. I felt I needed to post a more updated shot just so you guys knew I was listening to advice and not leaving it all bushy and over-jutted.

CompletedRear_zps4dec4cae.jpg

This pic was taken weeks ago. I still have to trim a lot more then add my tie ons. I'll be using OD green paracord for that. Just wanted to update a little. This is about 1/3 of the original jute left. I plan on getting to about 1/5.

I took it out shooting today, & set up to see how everything looked. I think I need some lighter green in there. But the rest looked pretty good IMHO. I'm waiting on some 1000d cordura to finish up the front, & I'll give it a mud bath when thats done. And, yes the shooting mat has to go, but I wasn't willing to get all wet for a couple pics. Also, the snow just melted off, so the dead grass that is usualy standing up is packed down right now. Havent started on the pants yet, but I'm wondering what to do about the black hole in the scope objective. I can cover it pretty well with the cover, but then I can't see very well. Can you get an ARD in an earth tone? Or do I need to make a drape with a "birds nest" to fit in there? What do you guys think?
Ghilliesuit3.jpg

I think it looks pretty darn good. I bet a little brown in there would help that base layer blend very well. The jeans have to go lol (just playing I saw in the other thread that you're working on the ghillie pants). I haven't tried camo-ing the gun with netting and jute yet so I really don't have any experience or advice to give on that. Do you have any other shots of the suit?

Not yet. Work has jumped in the way a lot the last few weeks. The gun cover is something I started a couple years ago, & just threw some colors, & raffia on to see what it looked like. I'm also going to make a drape to cover from the front of the scope to the back of my head. Haven't started that yet .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
boxOghillie.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg
</div></div>

This is a really nice job. Are those strands of burlap? Where did you find these supplies? I'm pretty sure this is exactly the type of supplies and end result I'm looking for!

Well done!!

Its all jute(burlap) the thinner looking stuff is pulled out of burlap sacks the thicker looking strands are jute twine from the hardware store cut to length. The rifle wrap is a long piece of burplap sack ends (they were stiched together and folded a bunch forming a 'cord' about the width of a finger I just tied a couple together and then tied the jute strands directly to that and its just secured with a rubber band then wrapped around the gun. Then i just drape enough over the actual scope that its covered and not forming a black hole while still allowing a view through the scope albeit a little darker view then you would normally have. This suit still needs a good drag through the mud and dust and I am waiting on that before I do any further trimming of the jute .

IMG_0111.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0117.jpg

I'm almost done with the top and head piece, but I'm about to run out of one of my colors and I can't find any more.

One thing I was wondering, is which is better. Burlap or jute? Is jute easy to work with?

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 77
Has anyone tried using ACU's to make one? I have plenty of them and figured it might be worth a shot. Just wondering if the foliage/gray/sand pattern is too out of place compared to the classic woodland or even the MARPAT.

Has anyone tried using ACU's to make one? I have plenty of them and figured it might be worth a shot. Just wondering if the foliage/gray/sand pattern is too out of place compared to the classic woodland or even the MARPAT.

The only time I saw ACU's work in the 8 years I was in the Army, 5 of which ACU's were standard issue, was when we were doing some training at a MOUT site and a fire team laid down on a gravel road.

That's it.

So unless you plan on working in a rock covered environment, I would suggest not to use ACU.

The only time I saw ACU's work in the 8 years I was in the Army, 5 of which ACU's were standard issue, was when we were doing some training at a MOUT site and a fire team laid down on a gravel road.

That's it.

So unless you plan on working in a rock covered environment, I would suggest not to use ACU.

Thats true, I almost threw that line in about the gravel road! I just wasn't sure if they could be used once the jute/burlap and vegatation was attached. I do have a set of woodlands left, but was hoping I could use one of the 10+ sets of ACU's I have.

Yeah. Me, too.

I will hold onto 1 clean/to standard set for sentimental value or a sudden "activation" for whatever reason.

For a ghillie suit, I would use 1 of 4 colors.
1) OD Green
2) Woodland
3) DCU
4) White

You can make a suit that will match whatever terrain you choose, by starting with the corresponding color I listed that is the basis for said environment. Notice I didn't list a color for rocks, as there is no way to simulate sharp/random edges with clothing.

Just finished the pants. At least to the same level as the rest. have the cordura glued on the front, but haven't sewn it in yet. Will give a mud bath when thats done, & evaluate from there.
Ghilliesuit4.jpg

Last edited: