• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Lets talk about supersonic 22's

762frmafr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
I realize that for ultimate suppression a 223 suppressor would probably be the best and easiest route to go for the 22wmr 22 hornet and 221 fireball class of cartridges. I own one of the best and lightest 223 suppressors on the market. That being said, it still weighs in at 14.5 ounces. I have a Browning A-Bolt in 22 hornet. It has a tiny sporter barrel and could be threaded 3/8-24. I also own an AWC Valkyrie which is primarily a rimfire suppressor. I can get an end cap for the Valkyrie threaded in 3/8-24 and be done. What I am worried about is suppression quality. I guess what I am looking for is something that will suppress the smaller 22 centerfires as well as a 223 suppressor but be as light weight as a 22 rimfire suppressor. Suggestions? Thoughts? Comments? Discuss!!

ETA: I also own a 10/22 magnum that is not yet threaded that I would also like to suppress.

Re: Lets talk about supersonic 22's

Two things to do first.....

Get a adapter and shoot through your .223 can.

Call AWC and find out if pressures are ok for your Archangel and if they are...well....do the same.

If that works, you are done and we can stop right here. If not, then we have to talk about overbore in hypervelocity applications.

My .02, if your going to shoot a rimfire, get a rim fire can so that you can clean the lead out of it. If you want to shoot .223, get a rifle can that will fit your application. To answer your question directly, I don't know of a can that will take centerfire pressure and be as light weight as a rimfire.

The lightest 223/556 suppressors I have seen are in the 13 oz area.
There are a few companies that make 22 suppressors that are rated up to 5.7 (the Sparrow and Spectre) and the Liberty Kodiak is a 22 suppressor that is rated up to 22 hornet (it is not rated for 223/556) and weighs in at 8.7 oz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lightest 223/556 suppressors I have seen are in the 13 oz area.
There are a few companies that make 22 suppressors that are rated up to 5.7 (the Sparrow and Spectre) and the Liberty Kodiak is a 22 suppressor that is rated up to 22 hornet (it is not rated for 223/556) and weighs in at 8.7 oz. </div></div>

In my experience, just because a suppressor is "rated" for 5.7 or 22 hornet doesn't mean it suppresses it well. I think it only means the suppressor will not fail if that round is shot through it.

i saw a SOT make a all AL 223 can to test... it granaded on the 1st shot
smile.gif